daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM   #21
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Nice pics Marcanadian. Let's stop trolling now shall we? A trollish comment towards Toronto does not give people the right to bash Shanghai. I've been to both cities and they are both brilliant cities.

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM   #22
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Photo #9 - Allen Lambert Galleria

The Allen Lambert Galleria is located at Brookfield Place, in between two of Toronto's tallest towers (TD Canada Trust and Bay Wellington Towers). The unique design of the galleria was part of an international competition in 1987, in which famed architect Santiago Calatrava won the rights to design. The facade of the 1890's Merchant's Bank Building at the left of the picture was saved after the 1904 fire, and incorporated into the galleria. The galleria is one of Toronto's most photographed areas.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i29.************/2vdm9zb.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Marcanadian; March 23rd, 2008 at 08:55 PM.
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #23
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Are all of these pictures yours?
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #24
Marcanadian

Yes, all of the pictures were taken by me, from no earlier than 2006. I'm hoping to take some more and add them to this thread once the cold decides to leave.

Photo #10 - Yonge Street

This photo was taken on Yonge Street, looking south towards the lake. The street was once recognized as the longest street in the world at 1,896 kilometres, and is the dividing line between the west and east roads in Toronto. The street was the site of Toronto's first subway line and includes many of Toronto's famous attractions including the Hockey Hall of Fame, Eaton Centre, Dundas Square, and many performance theatres like the Canon in the photo.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i27.************/s2tla9.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #25
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12273

keep on clickin'! Love your shots, marcanadian!
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #26
Marcanadian

Photo #11 - BMO Field

BMO Field is located at Exhibition Place and is the home of Major League Soccer's Toronto FC. The structure has a seating capacity of 20,500 people and was completed in 2007. The Toronto FC is Canada's first soccer team in the MLS. The venue also hosts concerts, the most recent of was the rock band Genesis.

[IMG]http://i28.************/16hixxi.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #27
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
Yes, all of the pictures were taken by me, from no earlier than 2006. I'm hoping to take some more and add them to this thread once the cold decides to leave.
Interesting. Have you done photo threads of Toronto before? I must not have caught them, if you have done any before.
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #28
Marcanadian

I've had a few, but mostly in the Toronto forum. I've seen your photos too, they are quite good!

Photo #12 - Gooderham Building

The Gooderham Building, commonly known as the Flatiron Building is located east of Toronto's financial district in the neighbourhood St. Lawrence. Built in 1892 by George Gooderham at five storeys, it iwas the first flatiron building in any major city (predates NY's flatiron by 10 years). You might recognize the name as the building was home to the office of Gooderham and Worts Disterilly, (See photo #5) until 1952. A large patio surrounds the building, and a local pub sits in the basement.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i29.************/mj4sqh.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #29
Marcanadian

Photo #13 - Four Seasons Centre

The Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts opened in 2006 with a capacity of 2,071 people. The new venue is now home to the Canadian Opera Company and the National Ballet of Canada. The opera venue is located at University and Queen, designed by Canadan Diamond and Schmitt Architects. The inside auditorium is modelled after European opera houses, with five horseshoe shaped tiers. The complex cost $181 million and took three years to build.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i27.************/24onbbc.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Marcanadian; April 11th, 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #30
Marcanadian

Photo #14 - St. James Cathedral and Spire

The photo is of St. James Cathedral and the Spire condominium. The church is the oldest congregation in Toronto, in which the structure was built in 1844. The spire on the cathedral stands at 92.9 m (305 ft), making it the second tallest church in Canada. The tower clock holds five bells that still operate today. When built, the church was the tallest structure in Toronto and was often the first thing immigrants saw when arriving to Toronto via Union Station (see picture #15). The Spire condominium to the right (completed in 2007 at 45 stories), was appropriately named after the spire on St. James Cathedral.

[IMG]http://i26.************/51262b.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Marcanadian; March 29th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #31
Marcanadian

It seems I forgot to post a photo for March 23rd, so I'll post the one I meant to show.

Photo #15 - Union Station

The photo is of Union Station, the major inner city rail hub in Toronto. Operations in the station include VIA Rail, Amtrak, Ontario Northland, GO transit, and the TTC. The station serves over 200,000 passengers a day, making it the busiest passenger transportation facility in Canada. Union Station opened in 1927 to a large ceremony. The ticket lobby aka the Great Hall (pictured here) is 27 metres (87 ft) high and 76 metres (250 ft) long. The main facade features 22 stone columns, each 12 metres high (40 feet).

[IMG]http://i32.************/opdb8o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.************/m93n28.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Marcanadian; March 29th, 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #32
Urbania
Urban Athiest

Likes (Received): 1174

That picture of the Allen Lambert Galleria is stunning! I've always dissmissed Toronto a bit for being too boxy and concrety, but I may have been mistaken...
Urbania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #33
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbania View Post
That picture of the Allen Lambert Galleria is stunning! I've always dissmissed Toronto a bit for being too boxy and concrety, but I may have been mistaken...
I'm glad to hear that! It is easy for us to dismiss other cities, but I think you will find Toronto is no more boxy and concrety than your Australian cities! That is the marvellous thing of these photo threads... we get to learn about other cities that we only have impressions of!
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #34
Marcanadian

Photo #16 - St. Lawrence Hall

St. Lawrence Hall was built in 1850 to serve as a meeting hall to exhibitions, public gatherings, and concerts. One of the main features was a thousand seat auditorium. This is where prominent figures such as John A. Macdonald (Canada's first Prime Minister) addressed the city. The lower levels consisted of markets, stores, and businesses. Today, the hall remains a venue for weddings, art shows, and conferences.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i30.************/2pq7vd2.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #35
Marcanadian

Photo #17 - Toronto Skyline

Another shot of some of Toronto's tallest buildings.

[IMG]http://i28.************/2zq7qfb.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:59 PM   #36
Marcanadian

Photo #18 - Toronto Financial District

The Toronto financial district is the financial hub of Canada. The area contains highrise offices and banks which are considered some of Toronto's most recognizable skyscrapers. These towers are connected through an underground system known as PATH, which contains retail, making it one of Toronto's most important shopping areas. About 100,000 people commute to the financial district every weekday mainly through Union Station (see photo #15). The buildings in this shot are the Royal Bank Plaza to the left, Brookfield place and the Allen Lambert Galleria to the right (see photo #9) and Commerce Court straight ahead.

[IMG]http://i25.************/2psitcj.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Marcanadian; June 15th, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM   #37
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

The Financial District in Toronto is one of my favorite business districts/downtowns. The mix of architecture and styles works well, and it isn't overwhelming like business districts like in New York City can be.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM   #38
Marcanadian

Photo #19 - Yonge - Bloor/Yorkville

This shot is looking towards the Yorkville area, an upscale neighbourhood of Toronto (the two tall towers to the left). The neighbourhood contains a mix of high end retail, art gallerias, antique stores, fashion boutiques, as well as many cafes and restaurants. Some of the more trendy stores in Yorkville are Holt Renfew, Harry Rosen, Rolls Royce Motor Cars, Tiffany & Co, Chanel, Prada, Calvin Klein, Lacoste, Ferrari, and Hugo Boss. Due to the amount of upscale retailing and hotels, the area was a decent place for celebrities. The area is set to go under a major overhaul on Bloor this year, which plans for widened sidewalks, public art displays, modern lighting, and flower and tree gardens.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i30.************/2dvord0.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM   #39
Marcanadian

Photo #20 - Air Canada Centre and Union Tower

The Air Canada Centre is home to the Toronto Maple Leafs (National Hockey League), the Toronto Raptors (National Basketball Association), and the Toronto Rock (National Lacrosse League). The ACC is connected to PATH and Union Station. The area was opened in 1999 with a capacity of about 20,000 people. The venue has held many concerts including The Who, Madonna, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kiss, Tina Turner, U2, and the Spice Girls just to name a few. Union Tower (foreground) is a new office building being constructed outside the ACC along with Maple Leaf Square, a 54 storey twin tower development.

[IMG]http://i32.************/333a26p.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM   #40
Marcanadian

Photo #21 - CN Tower

The CN Tower stands at 553 metres or 1,815 feet and is one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world. The CN Tower was originally built for broadcasting, since the height of the skyscrapers downtown blocked any incoming feeds. The structure took 3 years to build finally being completed in 1976 at $63 million CAD (about $330 million CAD now). The main deck level including the 360 rotating restaurant and glass floor is 346 metres (1,135 ft) off the ground, with the higher deck, the Skypod at 446.5 metres (1,465 ft). Until 2007 when it was surpassed by the Burj Dubai, the CN Tower was the world's tallest free-standing structure on land. In May 2007, the tower was lit in LED lights which can take any colour or design with over a million combinations. In April 2008, two glass floor elevators were added making it the only glass floored elevator in North America and the highest in the world. The tower attracts more than 2 million international visitors a year.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i30.************/23uzskx.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Marcanadian; April 13th, 2008 at 02:09 AM.

Tags
canada, skyline, toronto