daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #41
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Photo #22 - Canadian National Exhibition

The Canadian National Exhibition is Canada's largest fair with over 1.3 million visitors annually. It is held in Exhibition Place and began in 1879, always being held toward the end of summer. This is also the grounds in which BMO Field is located in (see photo #11). The fair offers midway rides, parades, a working farm, sports, food, shopping, Kids world, events, and a three day air show. Some of the events include: Human Cannonball, Superdogs show, Horse show, Garden show, Petting zoo, SportZone, and an Aerial Acrobatics & Ice Skating Show.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i26.************/n4fjeu.jpg[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #42
Marcanadian

Photo #23 - Canadian National Exhibition

Another shot of the CNE at sunrise this time, before all the action begins.

[IMG]http://i31.************/30dcccl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i26.************/n4fjeu.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #43
Marcanadian

Photo #24 - Humber Bay Arch Bridge

The Humber Bay Arch Bridge is a cycling and pedestrian bridge which was completed in the mid 1990's. The length of the bridge is 139 metres encompassing two steel pipes which form an arch that is suspended 21 metres in the air. It was designed by Montgomery and Sisam Architects of Toronto and connects the former Old Toronto and Etobicoke, both of which are now part of the almagamated city of Toronto. The bridge is part of the Martin Goodman Trail, Toronto's section of a northern Lake Ontario wide multi use pathway.

[IMG]http://i26.************/6qlg7r.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #44
Marcanadian

Photo #25 - St. Andrew's Church

St. Andrew's Church is one of Toronto's most historic churches. It is a Romanesque Revival Presbyterian church which was erected as the church of Scotland in the Town of York in 1830. The congregation still maintains Scottish roots, when they celebrated their 175th anniversary in 2005.

[IMG]http://i26.************/28jaa1t.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Marcanadian; April 26th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #45
Marcanadian

Photo #26 - The Hockey Hall of Fame

The Hockey Hall of Fame is an ice hockey museum downtown. It holds exhibits about the history of ice hockey, players, teams, NHL records, memorabilia, and trophies including the coveted Stanley Cup. The Hall was established in 1943 and located in Kingston, Ontario. In 1961, the Hall moved to Exhibition Place. The Hall then outgrew its location, finally moving to the former Bank of Montreal site which is where it currently sits. The Hockey Hall of Fame has inducted 238 players so far.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i25.************/20rjjh0.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #46
Marcanadian

Photo #27 - View From City Hall

This is the view looking southwest from atop city hall.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i30.************/207q4q8.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #47
K85
Great Ceasar's ghost!

Likes (Received): 1

please, a tip. Post the maps with a legend in hybrid mode so out of towner's know where to go to find these shots
K85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #48
Marcanadian

Sure thing. I try to relate the location to downtown also, so that of towners have an idea of where it is.

Photo #28 - The Old Mill

The Old Mill is one of Toronto's most historic neighbourhoods. Located next to the Humber River, it was a hunting and fishing area for Native Canadians before the European Etienne Brule discovered the area in 1615. In 1793, the King's Mill was built to manufacture lumber for the town of York, making it Toronto's first industrial building. Numerous fires caused the structure to be rebuilt again. On the first day of the first world war, the Old Mill was opened to the public, which featured walk out patios, gardens, and fireplaces in all guest rooms. Today, the Old Mill acts as a banquet hall for weddings, special ceremonies, business parties and other events. In 2001, the Old Mill Inn was opened to accommodate hotel guests, built in the same architectural style as the rest of the Old Mill.

[IMG]http://i25.************/sf9g0g.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #49
Marcanadian

Photo #29 - Rogers Centre

The Rogers Centre, formerly known as the Skydome is home to Major League Baseball's Toronto Blue Jays, the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts as well as many other events such as concerts and conventions. The stadium was the first of its kind to have a fully retractable roof, as well as a 348 room hotel in which 70 overlook the field. The stadium was built after a cold and wet CFL football game at Exhibition Stadium, which motivated the development of a new venue. The Rogers Centre was opened in 1989, holding a capacity of abou 50,000 people. The attendance record is officially 68,237 people after Wrestlemania 18 in 2002. After Rogers Communication bought the stadium in 2005, the name Skydome was dropped officially becoming the Rogers Centre.

[IMG]http://i30.************/nlwosg.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #50
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I have never heard of the Old Mill.
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #51
Marcanadian

It's a nice place to just relax, away from the hustle and bustle of Toronto. The good thing is that the Old Mill subway station is directly south of it, so it allows for easy access to downtown and vice versa.
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #52
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally posted by Skybean:
I have never heard of the Old Mill.

Really? I had my wedding reception there. Perfect for our winter wedding with the roaring fires in the banquet hall. Sunday brunch is an all you can eat buffet - reserve ahead - or you will be in line for 45 minutes.
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #53
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12272

and in the fall it is very close to the place on the Humber River where the salmon run upstream to spawn!
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #54
AltiusAltiusAltius

Likes (Received): 53

Dundas Square?
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #55
Marcanadian

Not the best picture of Yonge/Dundas, but I am hoping to venture out and snap some new pictures soon.

Photo #30 - Yonge-Dundas Square

Yonge Dundas square is a public square at the busiest intersection in Canada. It was opened in 2002 designed by Brown and Storey Architects, opposite the Eaton Centre (Toronto's downtown mall) and near Ryerson University. The centrepiece of the square are two rows of 10 fountains. The fountains are meant for play, since the water quality has been deemed safe. The square is surrounded by numerous buildings, including the Eaton Centre, Hard Rock Cafe, Toronto Life Square, and the new ChumCity Building. The square is a popular destination for teenagers, due to the amount of retail lining the streets and malls. Toronto Life Square (the building pictured here) is a retail, office, and entertainment complex including such stores as Future Shop, AMC theatres, and the restaurant Wolfgang Puck (opening soon). The exterior of the structure is covered with numerous advertisements and video screens, causing some criticism, including that of Toronto Star's Christopher Hume who called the building a "nasty, grey, dark bunker". The building's exterior is now completely covered, so the photo posted here was the structure in progress. Nevertheless, the area remains to be one of Toronto's hottest destinations.

[IMG]http://i31.************/i6vwo1.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #56
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 916

great photos, thanks
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #57
Marcanadian

Photo #31 - Toronto Islands

The Toronto Islands are a series of small islands in the Toronto shore of Lake Ontario. The islands are home to many recreational activities, a small amusement park called Centreville, residential communities, yacht clubs, beaches, bike and walk pathways, public marinas, and the Toronto City Centre Airport. The islands are connected to the mainland via ferries. These islands are the largest car free urban community in North America, as bicyclists make it a popular destination. The islands area is about 230 hectares, comprising of the main islands: Centre Island, Algonquin, and Olympic. Ward's Island is actually just the east portion of Centre Island. The islands were originally a 9 kilometre sandpit peninsula formed by lakeshore currents. A violent storm in 1858 separated the peninsula from the mainland. Over time the islands will disappear, but special anti-erosion techniques are put in place to slow that down. There are 262 cottage homes on the islands, including two schools and one church. There are numerous beaches on the island, the most famous being off of Hanlan's Point where "clothing is optional". Toronto City Centre Airport is used for civil aviation such as private aviation and flight training. In 2006, Porter airlines was opened to provide flights to nearby cities such as Ottawa and Montreal. The airline is planning to offer flying services to New York soon. Pictured here, is one of the islands many bridges and quiet spots.

[IMG]http://i26.************/262nqzs.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Marcanadian; May 3rd, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #58
Marcanadian

Photo #32 - Toronto Islands

The Toronto Islands as seen from a rooftop condominium. You can see one of the ferries on its route.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i26.************/262nqzs.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #59
Marcanadian

Photo #33 - Toronto Transit Commission

The TTC is Toronto's public transit system which operates buses, subways, streetcars, and rapid transit lines. The TTC operates 149 above ground routes, 69 stations, and roughly carries about 1,500,000 people a day. However, ridership figures exceed 2.46 million a day. The TTC is the third most heavily used transit system in North America, only after New York's and Mexico City's. Three major subway lines serve the Toronto area. The station pictured here is St. George Station, which lies on the Bloor-Danforth and University-Spadina lines.

[IMG]http://i26.************/1zd6w74.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/2ecey3q.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #60
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4265

I really want to see the Toronto Islands the next time that I am in Toronto.

The picture of the Toronto Life Square building is nice since you took the picture of it during construction. How does it look nowadays?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, skyline, toronto