daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #121
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 916

I thought more like ... being addicted to toronto, like you could get addicted to alc

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #122
nestor morales

Likes (Received): 50

why do you think I could be an alcoholic? if you don't know me. It's like I said you could be a narco or thief. Explain yourself better and it's not necessary to offend neighter to be so serious. Are you an old person so much? Cause I see you don't like laugh and don't like jokes and funny things.
nestor morales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #123
south
always lost

Likes (Received): 2

no, i don't think they meant that. in English the suffix "~holic" is used to describe being addicted to anything (even tho it originally comes from 'alcoholic', it's not connected anymore). we also say "workaholic" and "chocoholic"; etc etc.

so "Torontoholic" is perfect... at least for all of us hanging out on this thread anyway
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #124
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12273

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor morales View Post
why do you think I could be an alcoholic? if you don't know me. It's like I said you could be a narco or thief. Explain yourself better and it's not necessary to offend neighter to be so serious. Are you an old person so much? Cause I see you don't like laugh and don't like jokes and funny things.
Nestor, don't be offended... it was a harmless joke. Like has been pointed out, the suffix "holic" is often added onto a word in English for humour. Someone who shops a great deal is a "Shop-a-holic"!
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #125
HD
같같같같같같

nestor, maybe you should have that drink afterall, or smoke something - obviously you don't understand humour (and english)

chill, dude - I wasn't speaking about you anyway ... I was speaking about me being a torontoholic (= addicted to toronto) ...
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #126
nestor morales

Explanations should be given by HD, he said:"you could get addicted to alc."
and then you complet with "holic", but I don't care people think about me.
Important thing is Toronto, I like that city and Canada Dry and ...gin ha ha !
No, It's a harmless joke, Canada is a great nation. Someday I shall go there and I'll know "torontonecian" people. ha ha ha
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #127
HD
같같같같같같

dude, don't you understand?

when I say I thought more like ... being addicted to toronto, like you could get addicted to alc it doesn't mean YOU as a person! and it doesn't mean you are addicted to alcohol ...

it has nothing to do with you! it's the way you say it in english, just an expression ...

honestly, I think this guy is taking the piss now. it's impossible, he doesn't understand that ... is no oen here that speaks spanish who could translate that?
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #128
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Photo #68 - Victoria Day Fireworks

Victoria Day (French: Fte de la Reine) is a Canadian statutory holiday celebrated on the last Monday before or on May 24 in honour of both Queen Victoria's birthday and the current reigning Canadian sovereign's birthday. It was celebrated yesterday. Fireworks are held as part of the celebration, and these were taken just at a local park with store bought fireworks that families lit.

[IMG]http://i27.************/16a44qx.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #129
nestor morales

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
dude, don't you understand?

when I say I thought more like ... being addicted to toronto, like you could get addicted to alc it doesn't mean YOU as a person! and it doesn't mean you are addicted to alcohol ...

it has nothing to do with you! it's the way you say it in english, just an expression ...

honestly, I think this guy is taking the piss now. it's impossible, he doesn't understand that ... is no oen here that speaks spanish who could translate that?
No,don't worry I'm not taking the piss you. I understood everything.It's better stopping to speak the same thing.
a homework : " no te calientes la cabeza" how can I say it in english? cause it doesn't appear in my dictionary.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:18 PM   #130
Marcanadian

Photo #69 - The View on Front

The much recognized view from Front street looking west towards the financial district.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i28.************/9hjdok.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM   #131
Marcanadian

Photo #70 - Canada's Wonderland

Canada's Wonderland is a 330-acre theme park located in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada, 30 kilometres north of downtown Toronto, Ontario. It is considered one of North America's premier amusement parks, with more than 200 attractions. The park is open seasonally from May to October. While under Paramount Pictures ownership from 1994 until 2006, the park was known as Paramount Canada's Wonderland until it was sold to Cedar Fair and reverted to its original name. The park has also been the most attended seasonal theme park in North America for two years running (2005 and 2006).Park attendance in 2005 was 3.7 million people. In 2006, attendance was just over 3.2 million. The park is tied for second place for the record of most roller coasters in one park with 15 in total, and North America's greatest variety. The park features eight themed areas which includes a 20 acre waterpark called Splash Works. Splash Works has over 2 million gallons of heated water, Canada's largest outdoor wave pool measuring 36,000 square feet, a lazy river, and 16 water slides.

[IMG]http://i27.************/16a6u5h.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM   #132
Marcanadian

Photo #71 - Behemoth

Behemoth is a steel roller coaster at Canada's Wonderland. Upon opening in May 2008, it is Canada's tallest and fastest hyper roller coaster. Behemoth features trim brakes near the crests of each of the large camelback hills as a means of regulating speed and airtime.

Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard
Model: "Megacoaster"
Height: 230 ft (70 m)
Length: 5,318 ft (1,621 m)
Max speed: 77 mph (124 km/h)
Duration: 3:10
Max vertical angle: 75
Cost: C$26m

[IMG]http://i27.************/16a6u5h.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #133
Marcanadian

Photo #72 - First Canadian Place

First Canadian Place stands at 298 metres, or 978 feet (355 metres with antenna included) and is Canada's tallest skyscraper and the eleventh tallest building in North America. Built by Bregman + Hamann Architects in 1975, it is home to the Toronto headquarters of the Bank of Montreal, the oldest Canadian bank (hence the 'first'). The building is noted for its white stone finish, unusual in a city of glass, steel, and concrete surfaces. There are six hundred tons of Italian white marble on each floor.

[IMG]http://i26.************/szh1qe.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #134
Marcanadian

Photo #73 - Looking Up Royal Bank Plaza

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i26.************/2ijq255.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #135
Marcanadian

Photo #74 - Art Gallery of Ontario

Founded in 1900, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is an art museum on the eastern edge of Toronto's downtown Chinatown district. With 486,000 ft (45,000 m) of physical space, the AGO is one of the largest art museums in North America. Its collection includes more than 68,000 works spanning the 1st century to the present-day. It includes an extensive collection of Canadian art, which works by Canadian artists make up more than half of the AGO's collection. The museum also has an impressive collection of European art, such as major works by artists such as Pablo Picasso, Auguste Rodin, Vincent Van Gogh, and Edgar Degas. In addition to these, the AGO also has one of the most significant collections of African art in North America, as well as a contemporary art collection illustrating the evolution of modern artistic movements in Canada, the United States, and Europe, including works by Andy Warhol, Claes Oldenburg, and Jenny Holzer.
In 2004, the AGO unveiled a $254 million redevelopment plan by architect Frank Gehry. The AGO's transformation will increase the art viewing space by 47%. Notable elements of the new building include a glass and wood sculpture gallery at the north end along Dundas Street; a 4-story, box-like contemporary arts gallery and hosting centre clad in blue titanium facing Grange Park, as well as a new entrance aligned with the historic Walker's Court and The Grange. The AGO will re-open sometime during fall 2008.

[IMG]http://i28.************/x5te1h.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #136
Alibaba

Likes (Received): 6

i enjoy this thread...thanks
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #137
Marcanadian

Photo #75 - Bay Adelaide Centre

The Bay Adelaide Centre is a skyscraper complex currently under construction downtown. The first and tallest tower, of 50 storeys, is due for completion in 2009. The tower was the last of a series of construction projects in downtown Toronto launched in the boom years of the 1980s, when a number of massive towers were built nearby, such as Scotia Plaza. Construction began in 1990, but the developers soon ran into problems. The economy went into recession and office vacancy rates in Toronto rose to 20%. Construction was halted, and in 1993, with over $500 million already invested, the project was permanently put on hold. All that was completed was the underground parking garage and several storeys of the concrete service shaft that stood from 1991 onwards, as a monument to the failed project in downtown Toronto. The stump of the service shaft was known to security and the locals as "the bunker" or simply "the stump". The new towers will vary in size from 43 to 50 storeys and contain an aggregate density of 240,396 Sq. meters.

[IMG]http://i25.************/27zbvyq.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #138
Marcanadian

Photo #76 - The Main Core

This is the view from New City Hall looking towards the main cluster of towers.

[IMG]http://i25.************/29p95zs.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #139
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

Thanks for your effort posting one everyday.

Toronto is such a great city!
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #140
Marcanadian

Photo #77 - Ontario College of Art and Design

Founded in 1876, the Ontario College of Art & Design (OCAD) is Canada's largest and oldest university for art and design. The school combines an experiential, studio-based education with liberal studies, which are recognized with a Bachelor of Fine Arts or a Bachelor of Design degree. The school has a student body of approximately 3,500. Designed by Will Alsop, the Sharp Centre for Design can be seen here just in front of the Art Gallery of Ontario (photo #74).

[IMG]http://i27.************/295e3i1.jpg[/IMG]

Tags
canada, skyline, toronto