daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #141
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Moscow's Metro should be the busiest in terms of yearly passengers.

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #142
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Suburb name which appears in the most station names?

Acton (London) x 7

Acton Town
North Acton
East Acton
South Acton *
West Acton
Acton Main Line **
Acton Central *

* Not an LU station (LOROL), but appears on Tube Map
** As name suggests, a mainline station, not on Tube Map

Last edited by Tubeman; September 15th, 2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Forgot one!!!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #143
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Longest section of continuous underground track not recognized as a "Metro":

Melbourne has 12-15 km of track in tunnels, but it doesn't count here, because most of the system is above ground:

Last edited by Yardmaster; April 19th, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #144
Minato ku

It is not the only reason London underground is mostly overground but it is view as a metro.
The RER A in Paris has about 16 km of continuous underground track not recognized as a "Metro".
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #145
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

You can view the RER as a subsystem of the Parisian metro.
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:51 AM   #146
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Maybe the most spaghetti-like system of lines: Hamburg -- even the new U4 line (short white line in the south) adds to the mess.

micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:32 AM   #147
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
Longest section of continuous underground track not recognized as a "Metro":

Melbourne has 12-15 km of track in tunnels, but it doesn't count here, because most of the system is above ground:
It's nothing personal Yardmaster. Keep in mind most German cities also have S-bahn systems and they are not included here either as metro's, despite the fact that they operate pretty much like the Melbourne system in most cases.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM   #148
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It is not the only reason London underground is mostly overground but it is view as a metro.
The RER A in Paris has about 16 km of continuous underground track not recognized as a "Metro".
I've made some research using Google Earth about this several monthes ago. Figures aren't official ones so don't blame me if they differ of few hundred meters. The RER A continuous tunnel between Nanterre (in the west) and St-Mandé (in the east) is 18.1 km long. However, there are works to cover the rail trench between St-Mandé and Vincennes, so it could exceed 20 km in the future.

According to the same methodology, I've calculated the cumulated underground sections of the RER network (and the same for the metro). Here are the results:
  • RER A - 27.8 km
  • RER B - 13.3 km
  • RER C - 20.9 km
  • RER D - 10.5 km
  • RER E - 3.9 km
  • Total RER network - 76.4 km

The Paris metro has 196.5 km underground. So that makes a total of 272.9 km of underground rail in Paris (excluding suburban rail but it shouldn't represent much).

Actually, I wonder which city has the longest underground rail network? Does anyone have figures for this? Both strictly metro or cumulated rail? I doubt this is Paris though. As I recall Moscow metro is fully underground and is 278.3 km long. Other cities may have longer underground sections though (Probably Seoul or Tokyo... maybe Madrid but I doubt).
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM   #149
DaGaucho

Likes (Received): 1

Most profitable metro

http://www.china.org.cn/english/BAT/133423.htm

Quote:
Hong Kong's subway is the most profitable in the world, netting several billion HK dollars (several hundred million US dollars) annually.
I believe Singapore's Taipei's Tokyo's and Delhi's metros are also profitable.
DaGaucho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM   #150
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Thats because London has no doors to it's stations... Neither does Paris I think.
Yeah, well -- trust me -- what you've noticed is far from being the only error committed; then again, maybe going from concourses to platforms and back again's the only way of gettin' around by metro that its author's come to experience, ya know? (What an embarressment that paper is . . .)
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:02 AM   #151
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Yeah, well -- trust me -- what you've noticed is far from being the only error committed; then again, maybe going from concourses to platforms and back again's the only way of gettin' around by metro that its author's come to experience, ya know? (What an embarressment that paper is . . .)
I don't mean to be rude, but... Huh?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM   #152
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

The Métro-misery article`s littered with errors/faults (lousy journalist's doing, I guess) -- I figured the only stations in either capital over there that`d be equipped with doors into the passageways/entrances would be those "prestigious" ones that happened to be linked to some nearby office concourse or shopping mall; hence, I was trying to make out the author being too haughty-taughty for her/his average reader over here . . .

Last edited by trainrover; April 23rd, 2008 at 08:17 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:33 PM   #153
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
It's nothing personal Yardmaster. Keep in mind most German cities also have S-bahn systems and they are not included here either as metro's, despite the fact that they operate pretty much like the Melbourne system in most cases.
In these instances I just post to see if someone bites ...

No-one here has yet defined a "metro" system. If San Francisco's BART is a Metro ... well I wonder.
  • Lots of "Light Rail" systems count here as "Metros", but Melbourne's does not.

• The Eastern & Northern Eastern sections of our (sub)urban railway systems are entirely urban, but apparently they aren't Metros

Is there a legitimate reason why San Francisco has a Metro system, but Melbourne (Victoria, Australia) doesn't?

Last edited by Yardmaster; April 23rd, 2008 at 11:59 PM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #154
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
The Métro-misery article`s littered with errors/faults (lousy journalist's doing, I guess) -- I figured the only stations in either capital over there that`d be equipped with doors into the passageways/entrances would be those "prestigious" ones that happened to be linked to some nearby office concourse or shopping mall; hence, I was trying to make out the author being too haughty-taughty for her/his average reader over here . . .
Okay thanks
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #155
BJC450Chicago

Likes (Received): 1

I wouldn't consider San Francisco's BART a Metro. It's like Paris' RER, a commuter rail service but not a real Metro. It just happens to have high frequencies along its trunk segment. BART also only marginally serves San Francisco itself, with only one line running through the city. It's meant primarily to service the suburb-to-city traffic.

Additionally, SF's MUNI rail system is a light rail system. So San Francisco has no real Metro in the typical sense of the word.
BJC450Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #156
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC450Chicago View Post
I wouldn't consider San Francisco's BART a Metro. It's like Paris' RER, a commuter rail service but not a real Metro. It just happens to have high frequencies along its trunk segment. BART also only marginally serves San Francisco itself, with only one line running through the city. It's meant primarily to service the suburb-to-city traffic.

Additionally, SF's MUNI rail system is a light rail system. So San Francisco has no real Metro in the typical sense of the word.
It's very difficult to say what is a Metro and what isn't. I believe that the word Metro comes from the Metropolitan line in London, which started out as steam hauled and so would probably not fit part of the modern definition.

A Metro system, as I understand it will have some or all of the following characteristics, with its degree of 'Metroness' depending on how many it has:

1. Serves a large urban area or agglomeration of urban areas (a Metropolis).

2. High frequency

3. Electric traction.

4. Underground running

5. Complete separation from other transport modes (e.g. a tram sharing a street with other road vehicles would not be considered a Metro but one with its own reserved route could be).

By that definition, I think BART qualifies as a Metro.
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #157
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

The word metro comes from the Paris metro... which is actually the abbreviation of "Compagnie du chemin de fer métropolitain de Paris" (Paris metropolitan railway company), the original company managing the network.

That company's name may have been inspired by the metropolitan line in London, but it's in Paris that the word "metro" has been invented. And it's only after Paris network has been created that the use of the word "metro" started being used elsewhere to designate other urban rail networks over the world.

So now, I want people to stop about that silly urban legend saying that the word metro has been invented in London. That's just crap.

Last edited by Metropolitan; April 26th, 2008 at 02:50 AM.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #158
DELCROID

Likes (Received): 790

The "magic coins" of the Caracas Metro :

Last edited by DELCROID; April 26th, 2008 at 03:46 PM.
DELCROID no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #159
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
The word metro comes from the Paris metro... which is actually the abbreviation of "Compagnie du chemin de fer métropolitain de Paris" (Paris metropolitan railway company), the original company managing the network.

That company's name may have been inspired by the metropolitan line in London, but it's in Paris that the word "metro" has been invented. And it's only after Paris network has been created that the use of the word "metro" started being used elsewhere to designate other urban rail networks over the world.

So now, I want people to stop about that silly urban legend saying that the word metro has been invented in London. That's just crap.
I just checked the Oxford English Dictionary and that does confirm that the word Metro is 20th Century and comes from its use in Paris, so I apologise for my misconception.
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #160
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3653

Caracas metro magical coins = magnetic fields
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote