daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #41
Paper Ninja

Likes (Received): 100

It's in Nekoma North Dakota and it's used for radar and possibly UFO's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeguard_Program
http://srmsc.org/
http://www.discovery.und.edu/fall_2006/uas.html

Paper Ninja no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #42
TuzlaBoy
Proud to be Bosnian

Likes (Received): 272

Bosnian pyramids
http://www.piramidasunca.ba/ba/index...ry/Itemid,112/
TuzlaBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #43
Ramses

Likes (Received): 21

Last edited by Ramses; September 5th, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Ramses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM   #44
TheOingoBoingoBandit

Likes (Received): 1

Not the tallest in the World, but I like this pyramid building in Stockport in the north of England.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rt_Pyramid.jpg

http://www.aidan.co.uk/clg/StoM60PyrmdViaVw4511.jpg

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/stockport/m6785.htm

Apparently the original plan was to have five of these buildings.
TheOingoBoingoBandit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM   #45
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Here's a pyramid in my city (Hoofddorp). It was built for the Floriade of 2002.

The weird thing on top of it has now been removed, because it kept falling off. The only thing left on the pyramid are the 4 black pilars.
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #46
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

the louvre pyramid

skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #47
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

The Pyramid Arena in Memphis, Tennessee...321 ft/98m/32 stories...6th largest pyramid in the world.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinsmith/406094436/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/215354385/
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #48
gho

Likes (Received): 45

Some of these ancient pyramids scare me... imagine if these chinese and bosnian pyramids are real. They would have been by far the greatest structures ever built by man, probably taking more people (in number and as a percentage of the population) to construct than any other structure in the world, yet after a few thousand years nobody knows they exist. If everybody left Dubai, New York or Hong Kong after a couple of thousand years would anybody realise that there had been great cities here previously, or would we fade from history as might have happened with the Bosnian and Chinese.
gho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #49
gho

Likes (Received): 45

Also would hills shaped like pyramids count? Was Chola once a hill which they built the pyramid over, or did they build it from scratch on flat ground? Building over a hill seems a lot easier than building the whole pyramid.
gho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #50
deenky

Likes (Received): 0

Which of the following is not true of a pyramid of production? Only about 10 percent of the energy in one trophic level is passed into the next level. Because the loss of energy at each trophic level, most food chains are limited to three to five steps. Eating grain-fed beef is an inefficient means of obtaining the energy trapped by photosynthesis. A pyramid of productivity is the same shape as a pyramid of numbers. The pyramid of productivity of some aquatic ecosystems is inverted because of the large zooplankton primary-consumer level.

Last edited by deenky; February 19th, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
deenky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #51
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6040

Why are the Chinese so secretive about these pyramids if they exist? Won't they be a huge tourist draw?

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #52
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6427

The Chinese authorities say they dont exist - though they do plant trees over the smaller ones that do, to disguise them.

Ive no idea, maybe it's to ward off graverobbers - considering it will take a few hundred years to excavate any of them, they need to be protected for a good few centuries. It'll take another 80 years to fully excavate the Terracotta Army tomb - only 1 out of 700 in the area.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #53
stefano1895

Likes (Received): 9

teotihuacan sun pyramid near mexico city

200 aņos de libertad

ITALIA

EL PAIS MAS HERMOSO DE EUROPA xD
stefano1895 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #54
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 52

are there any stories or texts describing the chinese's denial of such pyramids.
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #55
Chainedwolf

Likes (Received): 3

Teotihuacan is not 100 meters tall, it's 65.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuzlaBoy View Post
These ones are very intriguing, it's really weird to see pyramids in Europe, moreover, that big!
Chainedwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #56
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

^sadly theyre a hoax, the discovery of paleolithic human structures at the base of a pyramid shaped hill (one of many in the area, known as "flatirons") by an untrained archaeologist cashing in on the 'find' :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_pyramids

Last edited by the spliff fairy; September 19th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #57
travelworld123

i watched a video (also on the ssc forums) and somewhere in it mentioned unknown/mysterious hills that represented a pyramid structure near angkor, cambodia. there seems to be alot of pyramidal structures connnected to these ancient, mystical sites...
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #58
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

okee I'm not sure but could this be the fabled White Pyramid?

It's believed to have been found by Maxim Yakovenko:

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/42starg...Mausoleum.html

The tomb of Wu Zetian, the only officially recognised Empress of China, right next to her husband Emperor Gaozong who ruled before her, it dates from 705AD, 80km NW of Xian. There are 2 smaller definitely manmade hills - made of 30% clay, 35% clay product and 40% limestone. Known in Chinese as the 'nipple hills'. The much larger pyramid is her body.

the larger pyramidal hill is known as Mt Liangshan, and has 4 equal sides, and is 1000ft high by 1500ft wide. It conforms with the location and dimensions from earlier accounts this century, but not in exterior, as it looks (now) like a tree covered natural hill.

However, it's said to have been covered with white stone slabs but is now planted with trees (maybe to prevent it eroding away?). At the base lie large grown-over quarries of white marble blocks and slabs.

Yakovenko doesn't say if the mount is manmade other than it matches the description from earlier accounts of being made of pressed clay, but has concluded the slabs that have slid to the base are - some still with screw holes, straight sides, corners and smooth faces. He believes as late as 1940, when the last accounts came in of a shimmering white colossus, the Western side was still relatively intact. Furthermore it is geologically impossible for the large marble slabs to naturally form, lying on clay terraces.

"I studied the stone slabs in detail and had to conclude that these were not natural stone. I found a stone close to the top of the pyramid, which showed classical drilling marks of a circular instrument, like a saw. I made numerous photographs and sent these to Dr. Aly Abdulah Barakat, an expert in applied geology and archaeology, based in Cairo. He came to the conclusion that “there is clear evidence of human contribution to the natural stones”. It means that these features are not the result of natural geological processes but the marks of human activity. He added that the stones on the photos “indicate clear human interaction with the whole site”.

This conforms with the famous account from a century ago about some sides being decayed, Schroder then wrote:

“The pyramid itself was built of pressed clay as were many constructions in China. Huge troughs extended along the walls of the pyramid having the size of mountain canyons. They were filled with stones too. There were trees and bushes on the slopes defacing the shape of the pyramid and making it similar to a natural object. I was fascinated by this amazing sight… Some time ago there were steps from the foot to the top of the pyramid but they are filled up with fragment of stones now. Some steps made of wild stones were seen at the bottom (each stone was three square feet).”

One thing doesn't conform with the accounts though, in that it isn't positioned for each face on the cardinal points of the compass, but rather off kilter.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; November 11th, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #59
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

^Me, I reckon it may be a natural hill but with sides and contours added to make it pyramidal. If it really is all made of pressed clay then we're looking at the greatest manmade object of ancient times, barring the Great Wall. In the end it was covered with white marble slabs, and a golden crown. The slabs have over the centuries slid off, and only recently trees planted/taken over (hence all the accounts stop in the 1940s), the golden crown may have been melted down, robbed or lies in secrecy somewhere.
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #60
travelworld123

so the pyramid/hill thing that is supposed to be where qin shi huang is buried is not the fabled white pyramid?

in my opinion, it looks very out of the ordinary, i think it has definatly been man made or at least as stated, man has touched it in some form and changed it. i really hope this is true! lol

wu zetian - i know her from civ 5!!

so it's called the 'white' pyramid because some guy on a plane saw the pyramid was white, right?