daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 74 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 76

Nottingham Bars, Restaurants, Clubs & Nightlife Thread

Well every other forum has one of these with plenty of discussion in each one so I thought I'd start one here.
Nottingham is renownded for having a good nightlife but IMO it seems to of declined in the past few years especially as the police don't seem to agree with the opening of new clubs etc due to the trouble of the past in places such as The Works.

I think Nottingham could easily sustain 2 or 3 more big clubs but I'd like to see them offer something abit different from the norm rather than just be a place that plays commercial music and attracts people that end up getting in fights. Media used to be terrible for trouble especially at kicking out time. Mode also had a few incidents. The bar/club near Sneinton Market even had a shooting in it.

What would you like to see in Nottingham to promote it's nightlife? Not all of you may be into this sort of thing but it does bring a huge amount of money into the city.

I'd like to see maybe 2 or 3 large clubs open that don't just play pop/dance music all the time. Alot of places in Leeds seem to be really popular especially clubs that play electro etc. Quite a few clubs seem to do special events with a certain genre of music. Alot of places are hosting dubstep and bassline nights which seem to be popular and attract a wide range of people.

What resturants and bars would you like to see introduced into the city? There must be some we don't have.

Discuss.

Last edited by Stefan88; November 15th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Stefan88 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #2
MigMoge
Cheers Drive

Likes (Received): 0

I agree, the nightlife in Nottingham has declined of late, I am finding that there are a lot more tossers out and about now too (or maybe I am just getting old. Lol). I would not like to see any more big clubs in Nottingham simply because I don't think Nott's can sustain that sort of venue anymore. There was a time when it was THE venue in the UK for stag and hen parties, however I have read articles that say that it has now lost this title (which is not necessariy a bad thing) but at that time I would have said that 2-3 big clubs would have been sustainable but in the current climate I don't think its possible. Its not just that though, where would any new big clubs go?

I would like to see more bars, not of the Wetherspoons or Liberty's mould as invariably these places are full of chav scum, but more along the lines of Saltwater or Muse as these tend to have a more relaxed atmosphere and little or no trouble. Admittedly these venues are more expensive to drink in but this discourages the sort of dickheads who think it makes them a big man if they neck 8 pints and then smash some windows or smash someones face!

In terms of restaurants I would like to see a decent Mexican.....mmmmh fajitas!!!
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #3
scooby01

Likes (Received): 2

Im glad someone else has noticed the decline in the Nottingham nightlife.I was away for about 5 years living in the south west and when i came back i couldnt belive how dead it seemed,i was begining to think it was me lol.

I think the problem is at the moment,the police keep closing these nightclubs down if someone gets stabed or killed in them,but the reality is this can happen in any bar or club. Their are only so many procautions these bars and clubs can take and if they are using all these precautions then i dont see how it is justifiable for the police to close thise venues down.

I think its a shame this has happened, and a big loss to Nottinghams night time economy.I think we need to be trying to get the nightlife to how it was and if this means opening more clubs then im all for it , but to be truthful i really carnt see Nottinghams nightlife ever being like it was.
scooby01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #4
kk_94093

Likes (Received): 1

Was out in Nottingham the other night ... can't really say that there is anything interest at the moment setting Nottingham apart from other big towns and cities ... seems to be a lot of generic drinking holes !

I agree with Migmoge about having some better bars in town ... I would definitely pay more for drinks in a decent relaxed placed rather than some cheap bar worrying about what weapon the person next to me has ... maybe I am getting old too ? ... but so so so many kids about on a Saturday night .... most of them can't even shave properly ! or afford a decent razor! haha ...
kk_94093 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #5
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

I noticed an increasing amount of young lads hanging around town at night. It's not exactly like there is anything for them to do as there not old enough to go in bars.
I went to Bar 11 the other week and it's really good in there. Pretty chilled out but when it gets later they start playing music and people start dancing. Really good atmosphere in there.
I'd like to see more places like that. Dogma is another good place I'd like to see some more bars that are of a similar style.
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:52 AM   #6
thompski
Wilderslowe Tower

I was in Nottingham the other week to buy graffiti paint from the West End Arcade and a chap was telling me about a pretty violent fight at the Cornerhouse "the cash machine was covered in blood".

I had good times at Stealth and the Horn in Hand a few years back, though £6 to get home on the Red Arrow was dreadful, one thing that Derby has in abundance is pubs and clubs so I was and still am sorted there.
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM   #7
pharmj

Likes (Received): 37

I think a large part of the problem not only in Nottingham but in a lot of cities is the distinct lack of variety in the availablility of places to go out at night. So many places are all owned by bigger companies (e.g Lloyds and Wetherspoons, or La Tasca+ Slug and Lettuce) it means that all the cities end up the same. Nottingham has lost a lot of the distinctive bars and pubs it used to be able to boast, and they have been replacedby chains. One thing we win hands down for in the region is restaurants. I am a firm believer that we don't as a city appreciate anywhere near enough the massive variety we have in such a small space.

An example is the Broadway road..you have Shaws (a bar, full service restaurant and Tapas bar), Edins (delicious italian and organic food), Revolution bar (offering limited food i think), that new Sri Lankan restaurant, Rosy Lees tea house, Broadway (really good honest food and a lovely bar), Lord Roberts (part of Nottingham's dying gay community), plus another couple of bars/pubs i cant rememeber the names of...and this is all down really quite a short street.

Nottingham needs to do a lot better at marketing itself...i think something like an interactive map of the city centre online would be great..all the streets with all pubs, bars, clubs, restuarants, arts centres, cinemas etc...u click what u want click, go to the establishment, buy ure tickets or book ure table. It would make it impossibly easy for visitors not to spend more time (and importantly money) in Nottingham.

In terms of nightclubs, the reason Nottinghams nightclub scene has suffered enormously is one place...Oceana. When oceana opened, it totally skewed the club scene, leading to the deaths of Media, Mode and argueably the Works. Even though the Works used to have some trouble, all clubs do. Oceana has some major problems with overcrowding in there...its an awkward club. It will all change again no doubt when (or if, lol) Broadmarsh gets going, as Ocean will be demolished, and that place is sold out to capicity every weds and friday with students...so the other clubs will be desperate to grab that market!

We're doing ok...but similar to the Retail, we're slipping somewhat
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:29 AM   #8
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Oceana is shit anyway I don't mind if that goes.
I went a couple of weeks ago for a friends birthday and it's just full of twats. Loads of people were far too drunk bumping into other people it's just not enjoyable when things like that happen. There was an argument outside with one of the bouncers and some guy that he refused to let in (again for being too drunk).
There was sick in the toilets and my shoes were completely wrecked from the number of people that trod on my feet.
There were alot of girls in there that were completely smashed and could barely walk. Why get yourself into that state? It makes the night worse, and the morning after for that matter. I ended up leaving early because it was crowded and full of idiots.

I really like your idea Pharmj about a website with events etc on it'd really make it easier for people and families that don't normally go into the city centre at night to have a good time.

On the resturant side of things I completely agree that Nottingham punches well above it's weight in that field. I like how the city centre is quite compact which makes it easy to reach other bars, resturants or whatever.
Leeds for example (I don't think) has as many resturants as Nottingham or they may just be spread out which makes parts of the city centre completely dead after all the shops have closed.

In the future (after the Broadmarsh has been completed) I think Listergate could be a really good part of town for ew resturants to open up. It's a fairly wide street so tables and chairs could be put out up to where the benches are along there now.
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM   #9
Furrydice

Good discussion Stef, thanks for starting this thread.

I dont go out in town that often anymore, maybe once or twice a month, but I'd agree that the nightlife has been in a bit of a decline recently. I think there are a number of reasons for this. The main one is the mainstream club scene and the closure of Media and the Works and the dominance of the new Oceana. The Works did have to go though and I think Gatecrasher is now beginning to redress the balance.

Then there is the Council's saturation policy towards new drinking establishments. This basically came out of all the concerns about binge drinking and the bad press the city was getting. They've idenitified areas where they wont allow new pubs and bars and it seems like it might cover the whole city centre! The effects of this policy are stark - I can think of maybe a dozen new restaurants that have opened over the past 2-3 years but can anyone think of 1 new (as opposed to replacement) pub or bar that has opened? The lack of new venues may be harming the vibrancy of the nightlife. That said I do think something needed to be done to curb the drinking culture that was getting out of hand - I have to say Ive not noticed the increase in lout behaviour that Stef suggests.

The other factors that have to be taken into account are the smoking ban, some pub chains struggling to turn profits, big increases in taxes on alcohol and people having less money to spend on going out because of the rising cost of living. These will be affecting Nottingham as much as anywhere. I also think the binge drink culture is slowly changing and a cosmpolitan place like Nottingham should feel the effects of that first.

On the plus side the range of restaurants continues to grow, is excellent and probably difficult to beat in any major city. This should be where the future of nightlife is as well as the unique and independent bars and pubs. I dont agree with pharmj that the independent places are being replaced by the chain places and think these can go from strength to strength. That website idea is very smart though.

Furrydice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM   #10
thompski
Wilderslowe Tower

Reading that promotion would help Nottingham's night scene, I remember in Derby somebody made a spoof tube map based on geographic locations of pubs in the city which was quite a good idea.

I'm only aware of of clubs in the rock/indie/electro scene, overall Nottingham was what I expected - like Derby only bigger and better, and strangely not many incidents of violence at least round the Upper Parliament Street area. In contrast I went to Leeds and didn't feel very impressed, I think the East Midlands excels in clubs (I'm basing Leicester opinions on what friends said, I've unfortunately never been myself for a night out).
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM   #11
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 136

I dont mind oceana really, I go quite often I know it gets packed but ive had no trouble in there. Cookie club is pretty good too if you're into the indy scene, although a bit small and you get the odd idiot in there as well! Media was my favourate back in the day I havent even been to gatecrasher yet but doubt its as good and supposed to be a rip off! Mode / halo whatever the hell its called is shite and full of rudeboys. Didnt really rate the works didnt that guy from e 17 get a good hiding there one night?! Then of course theres loveshack lol friday nights in there were a laugh cheesy 80s music all night cant beat it! Nowdays its 90s though I hear which is crap! Think Nottingham could do with one more big club on the scale of oceana especially as ocean is gonna be gone soon
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM   #12
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompski View Post
Reading that promotion would help Nottingham's night scene, I remember in Derby somebody made a spoof tube map based on geographic locations of pubs in the city which was quite a good idea.

I'm only aware of of clubs in the rock/indie/electro scene, overall Nottingham was what I expected - like Derby only bigger and better, and strangely not many incidents of violence at least round the Upper Parliament Street area. In contrast I went to Leeds and didn't feel very impressed, I think the East Midlands excels in clubs (I'm basing Leicester opinions on what friends said, I've unfortunately never been myself for a night out).
As long as you stayed clear of Libertys!
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 04:01 PM   #13
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 10

I think one of the problems with Nottingham is its councillors...

We have councillors who say nightlife in Nottingham is fantastic, we have more bars per person than every country blaa blaa blaa... but these same councillors hardly ever go into town??

They ASSUME we have fantastic night life in Notts, the ASSUME we have variety, the ASSUME we've got all the big clubs we need. They ASSUME all this without experiencing nightlife in Notts for themselves, and more importantly, without consulting the younger generations (to whom the night scene is so important).

After all these assumptions, they then believe they know what's best for their city. The problem is their views on what's best are based on their incorrect assumptions.

Nightlife in Notts is not that good. I know so man who regularly travel to other cities to have a good night out. We're don't really have that much choice, or variety.

But because they now believe they know what's best for the city they put rules in place to limit the amount of big clubs that can open up, limit the amount of new clubs/bars that can be developed, and put big restrictions on clubs that are now way near residential areas.... All this, limits how good night life in Nottingham currently is, and how good it can get.

In my opinion, the problem is we have councillors who now nothing about what they are passing rules and restrictions over. The councillors in Nottingham think nightlife is better than it actually is.

Follow Me - Twitter
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM   #14
pharmj

Interestingly, was walking past Gatecrasher, and they have a pick sign up saying basically that they have cancelled RnB on Saturdays due to the 'poor behaviour by a minority' Its good to see they are being responsible and trying to sort it out, I havnt seen a club be that heavy about it before.

Stef, I like the idea of Lister gate being more alive at night, it could do with something down there, as there's no reason to go down that end of town.

Depending on what you are into, Nottingham is actually considered 2nd best for the metal/black metal/rock scene in many cases. Rock city is a real draw, and there a lot of international underground bands that literally play in Nottingham and London, and that's it. It may not affect a lot of the city, but definately separates us from the rest.

Dan, I agree about the smoking ban, the company that own Slug and Lettuce and La Tasca are on the verge of going into adminstration, and are blaming that. However I think there is the start of an attitude change. The smoking ban has encouraged a lot of other people to go out more, as you dont smell at the end of the night. Nottingham needs to some more independent bars and restaurant to compliment the national chains. I think they all have their place.
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:52 PM   #15
danz013
Robin Hood

I'm not on about the smoking ban as such, I'm talking about restrictions on the number of bars in the city, restrictions on new clubs being included in developments, restrictions on opening hours etc.

I'm not saying the council should let clubs open up anywhere and everywhere, i'm not saying clubs should open all night, I'm saying we should fill the city with clubs and pubs... what I'm saying is I don't think they're in a position to now what's right or wrong without consulting those who make the most use of such destinations.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM   #16
Patrick G

I remember when Nottingham's nightlife was the envy of most English cities - but that was before they turned it into a stag and hen paradise full of shite chain bars and tacky clubs. Even the lace market has gone downhill.

Whoever decided to build two Wetherspoons pubs off Market Square was on mind bending drugs. It must look awful to visitors when they walk past and see the dregs coming out of those places - half cut on a Wednesday afternoon.

I agree about the restaurants though, lots of diversity and pretty good quality to boot. I just wish they would knock down Flares, Reflex, Oceana, Libertys, etc. and replace them with decent quality boozers or little cafe bars with restricted opening hours.
Patrick G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #17
pharmj

Although it might count as advertising, I want to take this thread to recommend Shaws and Le Mistral restaurants in Nottingham. They are both perfect examples of what makes Nottingham so special, brilliant local restaurants sitting alongside the national chains. Its the variety that makes it so vibrant and exciting here.
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #18
danz013
Robin Hood

That restaurant at the top of Victoria street/hockley needs to open up again.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #19
pharmj

The restaurant that used to be Ultimate Burger and Immo pizzeria has now closed and is being turned into a Prezzo. Its the same company that owns them, but this is their first branch in the city. Im guessing since Ultimate Burger are moving into Trinity...this is good tho, Prezzo are nice
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Furrydice

A listed building application has gone in to refurb the Hard Rock - looks like a new tennant has been found.

Furrydice no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: