daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #2041
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Is it second tower above 100 at ground works now?
Angel Gardens is at Groundworks stage, Exchange Court (130m) is now under construction

In ten days (June 30th), Owen Street towers 1-4 will be approved (hopefully) by Manchester City Council - meaning that Tower 1 (200.5m) and Tower 4 (144m) will be at groundworks stage (they technically already are at groundworks stage however until they're approved they can't officially be declared as 'at groundworks stage'.)

So June is turning out to be very exciting indeed:
  • Exchange Court (130m) has started construction

• Angel Gardens (106m) has started groundworks

• Axis Tower (93m) has started groundworks

• Owen St Tower 1 (200.5m) is due to start groundworks on June 30

• Owen St Tower 4 (144m) is due to start groundworks on June 30

In addition, it looks as though internal demolition for the building currently occupying the site of 10-12 Whitworth St (117m) has now started so we'll keep an eye on that; and the tower at Circle Square (115m) is really due to start groundworks in the next few weeks.

Further to that there are a multitude of buildings between 80-100m in height which are at various stages:
  • Cambridge St Tower 1 (83m) is nearing completion

• Two Greengate (88m) is nearing completion

• One Regent (82m) is under construction

• One Spinningfields (92m) is under construction

• X1 MediaCityUK Towers 1 and 2 (both 86m) are under construction whilst Tower 3 (86m) has now sold out and will start construction/groundworks imminently. Apartments in Tower 4 (86m) due to go on sale soon I reckon. These towers have 275 apartments each so they tend to sell out in a matter of weeks, meaning all 4 should be under construction by November assuming status quo.

• First St: South Tower (86m) is approved and should be starting groundworks soon.

Quicksilver, Grimbarian, stop that liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:58 PM   #2042
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29638

Flickr

Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonypi...-HVw7YL-H8nvhE

Quicksilver, geometarkv liked this post
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:21 PM   #2043
VDB
Strong and Stable

One Spinningfields | Spinningfields
Offices | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1693947

• Address: Hardman Square, Spinningfields, City Zone Manchester M3

• Architect: Simpson-Haugh

• Floors: 20

• Height: 92m

• Office Space: 300,000sqft

• Developer: Allied London

Current status: Under Construction

Nearest transport: Salford Central

Photo posted by Smo

Old June 21st, 2016, 08:32 PM   #2044
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29638

On the off chance that anyone is visiting Manchester in July and August, guided tours of London Road Fire Station are taking place. The guided tours are £10, but they will be worth the money. See quote below for info.

Tours now live.

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE London Road Fire Station Tours - JULY AND AUGUST ONLY
​Tickets: £10

AT LAST the public can access London Road Fire and Police Station; one of the most extraordinary testaments to civic pride in Europe. This tour will entertain, inform, delight and maybe send the odd shiver down the spine.

The tour starts with a spin around the astonishing exterior of the 1906 building. Then we enter through the impressive gates on London Road. These open out to the great courtyard from where we make sense of the building and its distinct areas.

Then we plunge into the Engine Room, the long galleria from where firemen would be scrambled to emergencies across the central areas of the city. This is filled with exquisite detail and craftsmanship. There are fire poles galore here and when we cross the courtyard to the workshops there are more fire poles.

From the workshops we walk to the magnificent Coroner's Court, a celebration in mahogany and stained glass and a place of pure atmosphere and drama.

Throughout we tell the story of the criminals in the police cells, of the personal tragedies in the Coroner's Courts and the joy and pride of the fire service families who worked and lived there. This is, in effect, the story of Manchester, since 1906, in one building and this will be a tour to remember: a tour in ‘the finest fire station in this round world’.

The tour has been written by Jonathan Schofield, who will conduct most of the tours. ​It is in association with Allied London who have kindly permitted these tours to take place and reveal parts of this treasured building to the Manchester public. Please note, not all areas can be accessed due to health and safety considerations.

TOURS WILL TAKE PLACE FROM SATURDAY 2 JULY EVERY THURSDAY AT 6PM & 7.30PM, EVERY SATURDAY AT 12 NOON & 1.30PM, EVERY SUNDAY AT 1PM

TOURS COST £10 - includes factsheet

Private, corporate and educational tours are available on application to [email protected] There is great flexibility in times and dates for private tours.

MEETING POINT: Outside WH SMITH at the front entrance of Piccadilly Station on Piccadilly Station Approach (not at the taxi rank on Fairfield Street)

Please use the scroll down menu below to pay on PayPal. The PayPal receipt sent to your email address is your ticket. Either print out or save an electronic version on your phone.

http://www.jonathanschofieldtours.co...tion-tour.html

Jonesy55 liked this post

Last edited by jrb; June 22nd, 2016 at 07:22 AM.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:44 PM   #2045
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20011

Walking from the Etihad stadium to the city centre on Sunday night along the canal it struck me just how much land there is still to redevelop around that 'Ancoats and beyond' part of the city, I don't think centralish Manchester will be stuck for new sites for apartments and city centre expansion for years to come which bodes well for supply of new homes keeping prices from rocketing too much.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 11:34 PM   #2046
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 10961

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
And how much money do Northern taxpayers give to Westminster each and every year only for it to be spent in London, with no returns whatsoever for Northerners?

You think people in Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool have benefited from the fact Stratford has a 50m swimming pool? Have we befitted from the millennium dome? Will we benefit from Crossrail 1? Crossrail 2? The Northern Line extension to Battersea?
Schemes such as Crossrail for instance have a supply chain which has supported jobs all around the UK. Whether it be the rolling stock in Derby or the lube for Crossrail from Sheffield. For further reading : http://www.crossrail.co.uk/supply-chain

Whilst i understand your anguish , the Northern Conurbation is not growing at 100k pa to which based on current trends the tube is likley to cease up in the 2030s.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:41 AM   #2047
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cladding View Post
Schemes such as Crossrail for instance have a supply chain which has supported jobs all around the UK. Whether it be the rolling stock in Derby or the lube for Crossrail from Sheffield. For further reading : http://www.crossrail.co.uk/supply-chain

Whilst i understand your anguish , the Northern Conurbation is not growing at 100k pa to which based on current trends the tube is likley to cease up in the 2030s.
Supply chain jobs are a short-term economic injection, but once Crossrail is finished what happens to all those jobs? And in contrast what happens to the gap between London and the rest? It gets even wider.

The reason "the Northern conurbation" (whatever that is) isn't growing as fast as London is because it's not being invested in. This argument is pedalled over and over and over: "well London needs the investment because it grows so fast!" But it ignores the fact that if other areas are invested in as well, the growth could be shared and London wouldn't be such a highly concentrated subsidy-gobbler.

The UK government needs to move away from its current cost-benefit subsidy system: a system which invests in places only to receive a high return on that investment. That's what private investment does, but public investment (in the Keynesian system, and the common sense one) is there to plug that disinvestment gap: to invest in places which won't see the highest financial returns but which will see high long-term gains. Our current neo-Liberal government system of investing only in places which already have sophisticated infrastructure has been flawed from the start: and now the fact that most Londoners cannot afford to actually live in London is becoming just one toxic result of that system.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 11:40 AM   #2048
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Exactly, if you have a policy for several decades of centralising the economy and public infrastructure investment in one place then it's no surprise that place grows more quickly than elsewhere. It would benefit London itself I think if that growth were spread around more as it would ease pressures on housing, transport and public services there.

VDB liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:02 PM   #2049
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

The real problem is that you can't force people to move to Manchester, people come to London because it's an Alpha city along with New York. Britain is successful when London is successful.

Manchester has come on leaps and bounds and i'm a big fan of the city along with Liverpool but to suggest that you can move the wealth and opportunity is frankly short sighted. Investment is going to the North and links are being created along with more laws and controls for Manchester, but London will always be the alpha city in Europe - we should embrace it and celebrate it, and whilst it continues to grow by a million people a decade we as a country cannot afford to let it fall back to the eighties.

As to London 'turning toxic' that may be true of the housing crisis but it's still one of, if not the greatest cities on earth.

Anyway it's fantastic to see Manchester growing and densifying with some really great contemporary additions, I've always been a fan of the redbrick architecture and it's nice to see some juxtaposition with the modern developments.

Quicksilver, Mr Cladding liked this post
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:26 PM   #2050
VDB
Strong and Stable

.Adam - I'm not talking about forcing people out of London, and I agree that people should still be given the choice of where to live. Heck, I'm in London today and once again I'm left feeling "damn, I wish I lived here". I love London, and I've no doubt that I myself will live here one day, if only for a few years.

All I am advocating is a fair level of investment. It's not right that Manchester's commuters are the most overcrowded in the country (yes, even more overcrowded than London's commuters!), it's not right that Manchester's commuters commute on diesel trains which have officially been declared unsafe by the EU. All this wouldn't be fair anyway, but it's made more unfair by the fact that whilst the government pumps billions into London's already advanced transport network for relatively small improvements, the North and Manchester have to beg for schemes which will quite literally revolutionise the region, but at a fraction of the price. And even when we do secure a little bit investment, it's not enough: still requiring local funding schemes like earnback; private investment; and investment from the EU.

You say the investment is coming, but is it? And is it in the right places? So far the "Northern Powerhouse" is just talk - we haven't seen any actual investment or even commitment to investment. What we have seen, however, is a threat that HS2 might not even reach Manchester, and funding pulled for electrification for the line from Manchester to Yorkshire pulled the day after the election (i.e. once the Tories had secured the Northern votes which they had lied about "investment for the North" to obtain). We didn't fall for it this time though, and thus the first U-turn of this government followed. This doesn't represent a change in the government's agenda - it represents a change in the North's attitude. Politicans have been using the North for votes for decades: giving us false promises of investment and attention and then taking all their money back down to London once the election is over, but Osborne being forced to U-turn on Yorkshire electrification just shows that we won't stand for it anymore.

You're right that we're being given more powers though - and that's only right. Greater Manchester is vastly larger in population terms than both Wales and Northern Ireland so it's about time we had our own devolution. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that goes, but you can have all the power and authority in the world but without the money and investment it's about as useful as an inflatable dartboard.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:49 PM   #2051
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Exactly, if you have a policy for several decades of centralising the economy and public infrastructure investment in one place then it's no surprise that place grows more quickly than elsewhere. It would benefit London itself I think if that growth were spread around more as it would ease pressures on housing, transport and public services there.
In France they tried to do quite opposite and now they are rethinking and trying to put most of the resources back to Paris to at least try to catch up with London. Hard to say and UK is smaller territorially than France and may be once HS2 is built there will be one big region covering London-Manchester and Birmingham.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 02:16 PM   #2052
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
The real problem is that you can't force people to move to Manchester, people come to London because it's an Alpha city along with New York. Britain is successful when London is successful.
I don't think anybody has suggested forcing anybody to move anywhere, just having a more balanced infrastructure programme and economic development model which will lead to some people making choices other than moving to London.

If London hadn't seen the massive investments it has then it wouldn't be seeing the growth either, whether a city is an 'Alpha' city or not doesn't really matter in that regard, it applies to Manchester, Munich, Marseille, Minneapolis or Madrid. If they are invested in they will grow and prosper, if that investment isn't forthcoming then they wont.

VDB liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2016, 02:41 PM   #2053
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

I take on board all of your points, and of course I'm not suggesting you meant actively forcing people to move, I mean that people will always choose where to live, the 1m a decade that are choosing London is because of it's sheer culture, history, opportunity and lifestyle. You can't make that up or invest that into anywhere and therefore my argument is that when people say investment is unfair in London I have to disagree, its supply and demand.

I feel we should probably agree to disagree before we take this thread and the great updates off track.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 04:40 PM   #2054
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
If London hadn't seen the massive investments it has then it wouldn't be seeing the growth either, whether a city is an 'Alpha' city or not doesn't really matter in that regard, it applies to Manchester, Munich, Marseille, Minneapolis or Madrid. If they are invested in they will grow and prosper, if that investment isn't forthcoming then they wont.
Ehhh...not so sure about that first part. London's investments are actually catching up with growth, not catalysing it. In fact, the South East in general has a huge backlog of projects that need to be accomplished to meet current demand, let alone projected growth.

It's sort of a screwy problem with no easy answer. The obvious answer is to increase Northern investment at the same rate as London, but then you run into problems with financing. For all intents and purposes, Treasury funds are a zero-sum game, so the government is left with a choice: do we 1) move some of the allocated funding from London to the rest of the country and in the process halt necessary investment in the former or 2) keep the current balance? Neither is a win-win and both have merits and issues. I'd probably say that the second is slightly better only because investment produces far higher absolute returns, but then again it also means more expensive capital improvements and continues to sideline the rest of the country. London's rampant success has also fuelled net migration into regional cities, which has knock-on effects as well. But if we don't keep putting money into London, then the economic engine that brings in a disproportionate amount of tax revenue that is then distributed nationally falters and that's bad for all of us. It's easy to be mad that London gets all this attention and that it shouldn't be this way, and you know what, I agree that it's a bad setup, but unfortunately it's the reality of the situation and solutions need to be placed in that framework in order to be feasible.

What I will say is that, while I'm no means a big fan of the current government, it's a bit disingenuous to say that they're not doing anything for the North and the Midlands. One could easily make the argument that with HS2/3, the Northern Hub, electrification, devolution and further localism, they are actually putting in slightly more effort than Labour did. Is it enough? No, but it's still an improvement, even if it's not the amount that's needed.

Bligh, Quicksilver, napowen liked this post
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:35 PM   #2055
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
It's not right that Manchester's commuters are the most overcrowded in the country (yes, even more overcrowded than London's commuters!), it's not right that Manchester's commuters commute on diesel trains which have officially been declared unsafe by the EU.
Not that I am disagreeing with you on the "most overcrowded in the country" statement as I have not seen this whether for or against anywhere, but from my limited use which includes a daily commute, it feels a LOT less crowded than London and by a long shot. Whereas in London I have been squashed up against a door with my face literally pressed against the glass, I have so far been able to always find a seat in Manchester and those standing have plenty of room.
- again, from my limited experience.

Even as a tourist in London off-peak I have been treated to serious overcrowding. That and the fact London is growing by a hundred thousand people a year is one reason why London is getting huge investment in infrastructure. And just to put that into perspective, London has grown by 1.3 million people since I joined this forum!

That said, you are right about the shocking diesel trains. Manchester may not be growing anywhere near the rate of London, but just about no city in the developed world is either, and that doesn't mean those other cities are not investing in their infrastructure a bit (lot) more. My breath escaped me when my train to the airport turned up a couple of weeks ago and resembled a 1960s bus. Imagine what tourists must think.

Quote:
You're right that we're being given more powers though - and that's only right. Greater Manchester is vastly larger in population terms than both Wales and Northern Ireland so it's about time we had our own devolution. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that goes, but you can have all the power and authority in the world but without the money and investment it's about as useful as an inflatable dartboard.
Wales: 3.06million
Greater Manchester 2.7million

Ok, but that aside, it should make a difference. Public transport globally has traditionally developed better in cities after an amalgamation of some sorts, or where they have a single unified transport entity.

I certainly hope this is the case.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 01:02 AM   #2056
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
I mean that people will always choose where to live, the 1m a decade that are choosing London is because of it's sheer culture, history, opportunity and lifestyle.
I agree that they're pull factors however you'll probably find the vast majority move there to pursue a career, which relates back to my earlier point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Not that I am disagreeing with you on the "most overcrowded in the country" statement as I have not seen this whether for or against anywhere, but from my limited use which includes a daily commute, it feels a LOT less crowded than London and by a long shot. Whereas in London I have been squashed up against a door with my face literally pressed against the glass, I have so far been able to always find a seat in Manchester and those standing have plenty of room.
- again, from my limited experience.
Sorry I should have expanded on the source of this claim. London is without a shadow of a doubt more overcrowded than Manchester - I've been squished and squashed into a vast array of tubes and trains today. The overcrowded comment referred to rail lines, the top ten most crowded in the country are:

04:22 Glasgow Central to Manchester Airport
16:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh
06:31 Reading to London Paddington
07:57 London Heathrow to London Paddington
07:02 Reading to London Paddington
06:35 Caterham to Victoria
07:24 Brighton to Bedford
18:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh
07:32 Woking to London Waterloo
07:02 Woking to London Waterloo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34195309

Of course this isn't indicative of overcrowding on the whole, but the fact that the two most overcrowded rail services in the country pass through Manchester (and I know that the most overcrowded part of those journeys are the bits which traverse Manchester) is pretty telling.

Both London and Manchester are clearly overcrowded and are both in dire need of improvements to capacity in their respective rail networks. But at the moment London is getting the improvements: Manchester isn't. And that's the problem this country needs to solve if it's going to rebalance the North-South divide and really create a new economic axis between the two cities.

Also you're right about Wales not sure where I was getting that stat from! Manchester is much larger than Northern Ireland though!!
Old June 23rd, 2016, 10:02 AM   #2057
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

^ Thanks for the clarification VDB
Old June 23rd, 2016, 04:26 PM   #2058
VDB
Strong and Stable

Cambridge St | Little Ireland
Apartments | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post120941091

• Address: 3 Cambridge Street, Little Ireland, City Zone Manchester M1

• Architect: OMI

• Floors: Tallest 31, smallest 15

• Number of apartments: 282

• Height: Tallest 83m

• Developer: Renaker

Nearest transport: Oxford Road

Update by AC1

Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:41 PM   #2059
VDB
Strong and Stable

Metrolink: Second City Crossing | St Peter's Square to Victoria
Tram line | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...6944&page=2041

• Address: John Dalton St, Cross St and Exchange Square, City Zone Manchester M2

• Contractor: MPact-Thales

• Number of expanded stations: 3

• Number of new stations: 1

• Interchanges with National Rail: 1, at Victoria

• Interchanges with existing Network: 2, at Victoria and St Peter's Square

• Operator: Metrolink, Transport for Greater Manchester

Nearest transport: N/A

Amazing pictures by Johnny de Rivative.

Metrolink's second city crossing was funded with EU money.

AbidM, Aztecaa13 liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #2060
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4479

10-12 Whitworth St West | 117m | 35 fl | Prep

Internal works appear to be taking place by a contractor called CPMS. Taken by me:

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

yeisson, Aztecaa13 liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manchester