daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #221
openlyJane
Human Being
 
openlyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 31,259
Likes (Received): 42508

No! Each city has its own unique identity - but more co-operation would be most beneficial.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #222
openlyJane
Human Being
 
openlyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 31,259
Likes (Received): 42508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
I think that culturally speaking Manchester surpasses Birmingham. From Art to Sport. For example... when I am away in the U.S. or the world, everyone has heard of Manchester United. Everyone knows that Oasis and The Stone Roses are from Manchester. People KNOW Manchester, UK.

People have only heard of Birmingham a couple of times. (Obviously this isn't the case all of the time). But Americans especially - when they hear the name Birmingham, they think of Alabama, not England.

I think this does matter. Not everything comes down to numbers - and even then I believe that Manchester is becoming more obviously prominant.


Liverpool may, arguably, be said to surpass both culturally.....
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #223
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

Liverpool was European Capital of Culture recently, too. Although, with the greatest respect, one could argue its best days are behind it. A lot of Liverpool's international renown comes from the Beatles, who are 50% dead. And a huge amount of its tourism comes from museums, rather than contemporary works.

But the issue is fairly moot anyway. Liverpool and Manchester are 30 miles apart, with basically total urbanization in the gap between. By American standards they are the same metropolitan area.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #224
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,164
Likes (Received): 25200

Motel One Piccadilly | 14 floors

Nearly complete externally. I love how it wraps itself around Monroes Pub, and I also love how "out of place" and juxtaposed Monroes is now to the newness of the surrounding Piccadilly streetscape.

Juxtaposition is what I love about Manchester's streetscape - so love or hate this building, it's brilliantly Mancunian:

Pictures by JRB



__________________
Strong and Stable.

Quicksilver, Owl., pjm0512, #Alex liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #225
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,164
Likes (Received): 25200

Milliner's Wharf Phase 2 | New Islington | 8+9 floors

144 apartments.

Work has begun on this scheme in New Islington. It was originally stalled before the recession so good to see it get going again, even if it is pretty ugly.

[IMG]http://i40.************/25ywqb5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/szbipf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/34y1o9u.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
Strong and Stable.

pjm0512 liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #226
pjm0512
Transport Enthusiast
 
pjm0512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,124
Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
144 apartments.

Work has begun on this scheme in New Islington. It was originally stalled before the recession so good to see it get going again, even if it is pretty ugly.
[IMG]http://i41.************/szbipf.jpg[/IMG]
Okay, they may be old renders, but couldn't we have an M5000?

Looks too much like a Croyden CR4000.
__________________
To see my pictures on Flickr, please click here:
flickr
pjm0512 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #227
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,095
Likes (Received): 3644

Is there a map of projects for Greater Manchester? Nice to see UK's second(or third?) largest city fixing up the mess it made decades ago from urban renewal.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #228
openlyJane
Human Being
 
openlyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 31,259
Likes (Received): 42508

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Liverpool was European Capital of Culture recently, too. Although, with the greatest respect, one could argue its best days are behind it. A lot of Liverpool's international renown comes from the Beatles, who are 50% dead. And a huge amount of its tourism comes from museums, rather than contemporary works.

But the issue is fairly moot anyway. Liverpool and Manchester are 30 miles apart, with basically total urbanization in the gap between. By American standards they are the same metropolitan area.
With respect, you are wrong! You could argue the same for any British industrial or port city.... When was the last time you were in the city? It seems your views are pretty dated. In fact, most of the U.S visitors that I know of, who have visited in recent times, rate it more highly that the others.... and that is with no disrespect to them, either.
Were you aware that the 'Liverpool One' development was short-listed for the RIBA architectural award several years ago; and tomorrow's RIBA award ceremony will feature Liverpool's new Everyman Theatre in its shortlist?
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #229
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,164
Likes (Received): 25200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Is there a map of projects for Greater Manchester? Nice to see UK's second(or third?) largest city fixing up the mess it made decades ago from urban renewal.
Hm, here's one I made in 2012 but it's largely outdated now, and doesn't cover the whole of Greater Manchester.

[IMG]http://i50.************/2po649h.jpg[/IMG]
__________________
Strong and Stable.
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #230
Birmingham
Now Tamworth
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,019
Likes (Received): 3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
I think that culturally speaking Manchester surpasses Birmingham. From Art to Sport. For example... when I am away in the U.S. or the world, everyone has heard of Manchester United. Everyone knows that Oasis and The Stone Roses are from Manchester. People KNOW Manchester, UK.

People have only heard of Birmingham a couple of times. (Obviously this isn't the case all of the time). But Americans especially - when they hear the name Birmingham, they think of Alabama, not England.

I think this does matter. Not everything comes down to numbers - and even then I believe that Manchester is becoming more obviously prominant.

Yep, the football sides from Manchester have had a huge impact. Birmingham City have always been rubbish and our most successful team Aston Villa doesn't even have Birmingham in it's name.

However, I'd go as far to say Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath are more famous then those two Manchester acts and everyone knows he is from Birmingham. Then you have the likes of Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, Cat Deeley, you've now got Peaky Blinders showing Birmingham's historic culture, Cadbury's, we hosted the US and Jamaican olympic teams, The New York Times rated Birmingham as the best UK city to visit, Jaguar Land Rover etc ... Apart from the football. I'd say Birmingham does pretty well even if you aren't aware of it.

Anyway - Great projects and updates again VDB
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #231
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
With respect, you are wrong! You could argue the same for any British industrial or port city.... When was the last time you were in the city? It seems your views are pretty dated. In fact, most of the U.S visitors that I know of, who have visited in recent times, rate it more highly that the others.... and that is with no disrespect to them, either.
Were you aware that the 'Liverpool One' development was short-listed for the RIBA architectural award several years ago; and tomorrow's RIBA award ceremony will feature Liverpool's new Everyman Theatre in its shortlist?
The last time I was in Liverpool was nine days ago. I live in Manchester, it's an hour away.

I was also playing a bit of devil's advocate in my post. I did say 'one could argue'. I'm not saying for definite Liverpool is on the wane, I'm saying that it could be interpreted that way - certainly on an international scale.

Plus, as someone who recently moved out of London, I think it's a fair bet that I'd have some insight into the attraction of other UK cities. I didn't move for work, I chose Manchester for pretty much all the reasons people have already mentioned; cultural diversity, economic growth, political influence - all on the up.

I'm not saying Liverpool is stuck in the past, except I am saying that because it's literally the case. No I'm joking. I think Liverpool's cultural influence is local and contextual, and relies a lot upon juggernauts of the past. While Manchester's is diverse and highly contemporary, as well as international. Plus, and this is the kicker, all of this is growing at an incredible and sustained rate. Manchester is filling a vacuum and it's good to be in on the ground floor of something.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #232
openlyJane
Human Being
 
openlyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 31,259
Likes (Received): 42508

Wrong! ( Britain's only biennial arts festival; Britain's largest festival of African Music; An International Festival of music; a top philharmonic orchestra; burgeoning music and creative scene; The newly re-built Everyman theatre; a newly built and lauded museum; RIBA about to construct its only other major gallery and museum outside of London... etc) But all this is probably better discussed on the newly re-launched 'Liverpool Constructions' thread.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #233
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

See the thing is this: If you have to constantly explain to people why your city is important, and list all of it's cultural exports, it's not that important and it's exports are not well known. It's the age-old political mantra; if you're explaining, you're losing.

Furthermore, I think that if one of your top reasons why Liverpool stands out from the crowd is something as generic as 'a burgeoning music and creative scene' then I feel you're clutching at straws. Manchester doesn't need to reach into the glovebox like that, it's too busy inventing the modern world. Again.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #234
Eastisleast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Forsaken City
Posts: 2,612
Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
See the thing is this: If you have to constantly explain to people why your city is important, and list all of it's cultural exports, it's not that important and it's exports are not well known. It's the age-old political mantra; if you're explaining, you're losing.

Furthermore, I think that if one of your top reasons why Liverpool stands out from the crowd is something as generic as 'a burgeoning music and creative scene' then I feel you're clutching at straws. Manchester doesn't need to reach into the glovebox like that, it's too busy inventing the modern world. Again.
The irony.
Eastisleast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #235
openlyJane
Human Being
 
openlyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 31,259
Likes (Received): 42508

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
See the thing is this: If you have to constantly explain to people why your city is important, and list all of it's cultural exports, it's not that important and it's exports are not well known. It's the age-old political mantra; if you're explaining, you're losing.

Furthermore, I think that if one of your top reasons why Liverpool stands out from the crowd is something as generic as 'a burgeoning music and creative scene' then I feel you're clutching at straws. Manchester doesn't need to reach into the glovebox like that, it's too busy inventing the modern world. Again.
In this case - I am countering your ignorance and prejudice......You land, fresh from London, and think you know what the sum total of Liverpool's cultural offering is. You clearly don't.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #236
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,164
Likes (Received): 25200

CAMBRIDGE STREET APARTMENTS | 30, 21 & 15 FLOORS






Monster crane up now:

__________________
Strong and Stable.
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #237
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,164
Likes (Received): 25200

Chapel St Salford

Central Salford's regeneration is coming on apace.






The large(ish) development in the foreground is Vimto Gardens - a scheme of apartments and retail on the ground floor.

__________________
Strong and Stable.
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #238
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,164
Likes (Received): 25200

The new Metrolink map!!

The network's latest line extension - to the Airport - is in blue, and is due to open on November 3rd

NOT MY PHOTO.

__________________
Strong and Stable.

pjm0512 liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #239
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
In this case - I am countering your ignorance and prejudice......You land, fresh from London, and think you know what the sum total of Liverpool's cultural offering is. You clearly don't.
I was born and raised in North Cheshire. Most of my extended family live in Warrington and Liverpool. Or rather, the outskirts of (Prescot). And Northwich, for a couple of years. I moved to London for university and worked there after for seven years - minus a year in New York for work experience. And while it was the first place I moved to out of the nest, and therefore holds a special place in my life, I'm no more a Londoner than Cesc Fabregas, it's not where I'm from. I'm not 'fresh off the plane'.

It's also not my fault that Liverpool comes up short in the final assessment. Nor did I suggest that Liverpool is a cultural wasteland, devoid of interest. I merely pointed out the true realities of the current situation, and explained how those realities had an impact on my choice of where to live when I moved back north.

To be fair, had I been richer or more successful, I would have probably stayed in the south but lived in a slightly nicer area. Maybe. I don't know. All I do know is that of the places one can move to in the UK - and the north in particularly - Liverpool is a distant backmarker, even with family ties.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:24 PM   #240
openlyJane
Human Being
 
openlyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 31,259
Likes (Received): 42508

And as I've said these issues are best discussed on a Liverpool thread or forum; which I'd be happy to do. I don't want to derail VDBs efforts on behalf of Manchester. You just come across as prejudiced and ignorant. You've no idea, clearly, what " the true realities" are.

If you have any real interest in discovering just what is going on in Liverpool - then take a look at the Liverpool forum; or you could click on the links beneath my post - for my personal Liverpool photo thread.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
manchester

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu