daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #2681
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29861

Many of Manchester's old buildings are Victorian red brick and terracotta warehouses.Ffirst picture.

https://twitter.com/AndrewPBrooks

http://andrewbrooksphotography.com/image.php?ID=4536
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #2682
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

2011 census had GM larger than Birmingham Metro by around 100k.

But regardless of current exact size (they're probably the same within error margins), GM is growing at three times the rate.

Population on this scale is a little nebulous though. Because there are so many ways to define a European city. There's Greater Manchester and Manchester City and the Greater Manchester Built Up Area and the Greater Manchester Metropolitan Area and the Greater Manchester Exclusive Economic Area and so on and so on. And they all have different borders and limits.

Unlike, say, an American city, which is clearly defined because beyond the city limits there's ten thousand miles of nothing. In Britain, every city is just towns that merged together over a thousand years.

It's fair, and accurate, to say that until the next census, they're the same size, just because of the near-infinite number of ways you can measure it - depending on your own bias.

Quicksilver liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #2683
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 301

I think they will become a point when you can't tell where Manchester ends and Liverpool begins.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #2684
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25372

St Michael's | Peterloo
Mixed use masterplan | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post134391006

• Address: Bootle St, Peterloo, City Zone Manchester M2

• Architect: Make

• Floors: 31/21

• Height: 130m, 104m

• Office Space: 135,000sqft

• Hotel bedrooms: 200

• Number of apartments: 150

• Developer: Consortium with Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, Brendan Flood, Manchester City Council

Current status: Pre-planning

Nearest transport: St Peter's Square

Hasn't yet been approved however it looks like perhaps internal demolition has now begun on the buildings due to be cleared to make way for the St Michaels scheme.

Photos by Paul62.

JamieUK, JustWatch liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #2685
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20052

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post

Birmingham's local authority area is just over 1 million, making it the largest local authority in Europe. The wider West Midlands county around Birmingham has a population of 2.8 million - slightly more than Greater Manchester.
Neither WM county nor GM county are that accurate as a measure Imo, Coventry is included in WM when it's really a separate mid-sized city while Wigan borough is pretty far removed from the bulk of GM Imo.

They are pretty much the same size I always think, not much in it either way. Manchester is growing more quickly in the core city though, I think the City of Manchester was up to 526,000 in 2015, another 1%+ growth for the year which is quite high by European standards.

VDB liked this post
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #2686
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6890

The St Michael's demolition rubs me the wrong way, which is irksome because I love the scheme in and of itself, but there are so many lots and crap buildings that could go instead.

VDB liked this post
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #2687
VDB
Strong and Stable

10-12 Whitworth St | Knott Mill
Apartments | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post125394231

• Address: 10-12 Whitworth St, Knott Mill, City Zone Manchester M2

• Architect: 5Plus

• Floors: 35

• Completion: 2018

• Number of apartments: 327

• Height: 117m

• Developer: Inhabit

Current status: Groundworks

Nearest transport: Deansgate Castlefield:

Demolition continues on the building due to make way for 10-12 Whitworth Street.

Scheduled to be complete for the New Year but looks like it might be ahead of time.

Photo by SteKnight.

JamieUK, JustWatch liked this post
Old October 11th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #2688
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Difficult because all EU countries have different censuses at different times - not to mention varying methods to define what a city is.

The population of the City of Manchester (the bit in the middle of Greater Manchester) was 392,819 in 2001, which had increased to 503,127 by 2011 - an increase of 110,308 (22%), making Manchester the UK's fastest growing city and the third fastest growing local authority (after the London boroughs of Newham and Tower Hamlets). By 2014 it had expanded again, to 520,215.

The city centre has seen unprecedented growth, from only a few hundred in the early 1990s to well over 22,000 now (and potentially 50,000 by 2021).

Greater Manchester (which engulfs the city, suburbs and some commuter towns) had a population of 2.4 million in 2001, which rose to 2.7 million by 2011 and is now at 2.8 million.

So I'm not sure how that compares to other European cities - but nearly 400,000 people in 15 years is quite a lot!

That is a lot, especially for a Western European city. London has grown more (something like 1.5 million in the last 15 years), but many cities in Europe are comparatively static.

That said, the figures are probably similar in western cities outside of Europe.

One thing to be careful when using city-proper figures is that growth may include large numbers simply moving around the urban or metro area. i.e. people hopping across the river from Salford to Manchester 50yards away are counted. I read somewhere that there has been significant movement from within the suburbs of Greater Manchester to the city center.

That said, 400,000 people adding to Greater Manchester is significant and many would come from the wider region as well as the EU.

I look forward to when this will cross the all-important 3million barrier.

VDB liked this post
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #2689
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:

Birmingham's local authority area is just over 1 million, making it the largest local authority in Europe. The wider West Midlands county around Birmingham has a population of 2.8 million - slightly more than Greater Manchester.
Just a question here, what do you define as a local authority? This is something rather unique to the UK and I can't see any comparisons for instance in Germany.

Where I lived in Germany, the closest thing to a local authority there is a city proper (within that are suburbs or districts, but they don't have an authority of their own). In this case, the largest local authority in Germany is Berlin with 3.5 million, Hamburg with 1.7 million, Munich with 1.4 million and Cologne with 1 million. These figures don't include the surround urban or metropolitan areas.
Old October 11th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #2690
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
One thing to be careful when using city-proper figures is that growth may include large numbers simply moving around the urban or metro area. i.e. people hopping across the river from Salford to Manchester 50yards away are counted. I read somewhere that there has been significant movement from within the suburbs of Greater Manchester to the city center.
Definitely something to consider, especially in Greater Manchester which has many such borders. I think in this instance using Greater Manchester as a whole is a better way of defining how many people are moving in rather than just moving around the metropolitan area. More people are definitely moving into the core of the urban area though, after many years of decentralisation and suburbanisation. The city centre's population has multiplied, and Wards such as Cheetham, Ancoats & Clayton and Hulme are now bulging at the seams (Cheetham has a population of 24,000 which is very high for a single ward). Think in future ward boundaries will change and we'll get lots of very small wards across central Manchester so that they all balance out.

Quote:
I look forward to when this will cross the all-important 3million barrier.
Me too! Perhaps in ten years if current trends continue?
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #2691
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Just a question here, what do you define as a local authority? This is something rather unique to the UK and I can't see any comparisons for instance in Germany.

Where I lived in Germany, the closest thing to a local authority there is a city proper (within that are suburbs or districts, but they don't have an authority of their own). In this case, the largest local authority in Germany is Berlin with 3.5 million, Hamburg with 1.7 million, Munich with 1.4 million and Cologne with 1 million. These figures don't include the surround urban or metropolitan areas.
Local authorities are council areas - so Manchester City Council run everything from Charlestown to the Airport and from the city centre to Openshaw; Salford City Council run everything from Adelphi to Walkden and from Clifton to Eccles; Trafford Council run everything from Trafford City down to Bowdon and from Priory to Carrington, &tc.

Local authorities in Greater Manchester:

Think what you are referring to with your German example sounds like our equivalent of the GMCA or GLA - Metro-wide authorities which encompass several different local authorities.
Old October 11th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #2692
AWS

Likes (Received): 7

Does anybody know when the St Michael's project is set to be complete? I've read that the main bulk of both Circe Square (phase one) and the St John's area (St John's Place/St John's living/Village/Factory) will be complete by the fourth quarter of 2019. Also I've read that this is the projected finishing date for the Affinity project as well. If this is to be the case it will be very interesting to see how the city centre of Manchester will look in around three years time.
AWS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #2693
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20052

Quote:
Just a question here, what do you define as a local authority?
It's basically the city/borough/county/district you live in, so in your case the City of Manchester, if you lived a few hundred metres away the City of Salford, in my case the County of Shropshire, if you are in London it's the borough you live in.

Note that some places (see Lancashire, Kent, Norfolk and all the other beige areas on the map below) have a two-tier setup with a county and a district below that. Most urban areas plus a few others and everywhere in Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland though only have the one level of Local Authority.

Justme liked this post
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #2694
VDB
Strong and Stable

Bupa Headquarters | Salford Quays
Offices | Salford

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post121897309

• Address: The Quays, Salford Quays, Salford M50

• Architect: Chapman Taylor

• Floors: 6

• Office Space: 145,000sqft

• Developer: Peel Land & Property Group

Current status: Under Construction

Nearest transport: Harbour City

Frame now going up - photo by Stopfordian Dreamer

PortoNuts, JustWatch liked this post
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:44 AM   #2695
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Local authorities are council areas - so Manchester City Council run everything from Charlestown to the Airport and from the city centre to Openshaw; Salford City Council run everything from Adelphi to Walkden and from Clifton to Eccles; Trafford Council run everything from Trafford City down to Bowdon and from Priory to Carrington, &tc.

Think what you are referring to with your German example sounds like our equivalent of the GMCA or GLA - Metro-wide authorities which encompass several different local authorities.
Thanks for the definition. It seems that what I am referring to in Germany are then local authorities. There is no smaller councils than the ones I mentioned.
Old October 12th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #2696
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7186

Quote:
Government confirms backing for all of HS2

The whole HS2 high speed rail line including links to Manchester and Leeds is going ahead.

The Transport Secretary Chris Grayling yesterday confirmed that the government is committed to pressing ahead with HS2 to tackle the looming capacity crisis and to help boost jobs.

He also confirmed construction would begin on the scheme in the first half of next year.

The Transport Secretary’s statement quashes speculation that the second phase north of Birmingham could either be delayed or cancelled.

Grayling said: “We need HS2 now more than ever.

“We need HS2 for the capacity it will bring on the routes between London, the West Midlands, Crewe, Leeds and Manchester as well as the space it’ll create elsewhere on our transport network.

“We need it for the boost it will give to our regional and national economies. And we need it for the jobs it will create, and for the way it will link our country together.”

He has also confirmed plans to make £70m of government funds available to support local communities and road safety along the route between London and the West Midlands.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...or-all-of-hs2/

VDB, JustWatch, geoking66, jrb liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #2697
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 488

New Manchester ward boundaries for end of 2017.
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #2698
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by po8crg View Post
New Manchester ward boundaries for end of 2017.
Oh really? Do you have a map/any more information?
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #2699
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 488

Quote:
Oh really? Do you have a map/any more information?
Initial consultation concluded on 26 September: https://www.lgbce.org.uk/current-rev...ter/manchester

Draft recommendations due in November, so we will see a new map then for the first time (the map on the link above is the current one). Consultation until late January, and then final recommendations in April.

SI implementing the new boundaries is likely to be September/October 2017, but will almost certainly be the final recommendations. There will be a vote in Parliament, but it's basically a formality.

VDB liked this post
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:55 AM   #2700
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29861

Redevelopment of Manchester's Medieval Quarter,

Loads of plans and info.

Just a couple I picked out.

The stand alone hair salon opposite Victoria Station is going, to open up the view when you come out of Victoria Station.

The pedestrian bridge connecting the Cathedral Quarter to Embankment 101 and 100 is going to be a garden bridge.

Below is a plan of what the proposals are, or could be. The numbered information and proposals aren't very clear, but you can just make the words out.

Click on the link for the full PDF report. Interesting reading.

Quote:

Item 22 - Medieval Quarter Masterplan (203.95 KB, PDF)
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manchester