daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #2861
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Think there's talk of moving the bus station to Piccadilly station (where the taxi rank on Fairfield St is now) as part of the redevelopment there
That sounds interesting. Would the current bus stop become pedestrian then?

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #2862
Darude Sandstorm

Likes (Received): 285

I recall the coach station behind Manchester One on Portland Street being the one proposed to move, surely this should be included also. As mentioned if we have ambitions to become an expo city we need to sort the mess from Piccadilly down to Market Street, including the Arndale, about tree quarters of it

VDB liked this post
Darude Sandstorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 12:08 AM   #2863
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
That sounds interesting. Would the current bus stop become pedestrian then?
The one in Piccadilly Gardens? I can only imagine it will either be built on or become part of an expanded Piccadilly Gardens. The plans aren't at all detailed, just mentioned in a document on Piccadilly station's redevelopment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude Sandstorm View Post
I recall the coach station behind Manchester One on Portland Street being the one proposed to move, surely this should be included also. As mentioned if we have ambitions to become an expo city we need to sort the mess from Piccadilly down to Market Street, including the Arndale, about tree quarters of it
Yeah I think they're consolidating it all under one roof - trains, trams, buses and coaches (and potentially underground metro in the future too). A transport mega-interchange if you like

Slowly but surely Manchester is becoming more presentable on the world stage

Darude Sandstorm liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #2864
Darude Sandstorm

You're not wrong VDB, I say sought the mess out but to be honest the change of Manchester in my 22 years on this confusing planet has been outstanding and significantly for the better. Starting with the Olympic bid in the 90s, to the expo bid, HS2 and beyond, the city will become not only northern but a European powerhouse.
With the antdale, I've already seen proposals for a new anchor retailer on High Street, surely Intu will buck they're game up in years to come too.

VDB liked this post
Old November 11th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #2865
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
With the antdale, I've already seen proposals for a new anchor retailer on High Street, surely Intu will buck they're game up in years to come too.
Are you about to disclose which anchor retailer this is? I don't think this is public information...
Old November 11th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #2866
Darude Sandstorm

Quote:
Are you about to disclose which anchor retailer this is? I don't think this is public information...
Sorry mate, wish I could but I don't. It got mentioned on the Manc forum that it'd replace the brutalist block next to Debenhams, potentially 70,000sq ft. So even though the retailer is anonymous, expect it to be established chain, hopefully their first for the city's retail offering

VDB, JBGee liked this post
Old November 11th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #2867
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Sorry mate, wish I could but I don't. It got mentioned on the Manc forum that it'd replace the brutalist block next to Debenhams, potentially 70,000sq ft. So even though the retailer is anonymous, expect it to be established chain, hopefully their first for the city's retail offering
Ah okay sorry I know what you mean now. High St badly needs redevelopment. Frankly that whole area of town, all the way down to the High St/Market St corner is shameful and needs redevelopment.

Even just cleaning up Debenhams would make a huge improvement I feel - just like a few years ago when they cleaned up Primark and it's made a big difference to that side of the street.

Darude Sandstorm liked this post
Old November 11th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #2868
VDB
Strong and Stable

One Spinningfields | Spinningfields
Offices | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1693947

• Address: Hardman Square, Spinningfields, City Zone Manchester M3

• Architect: Simpson-Haugh

• Floors: 20

• Height: 92m

• Office Space: 300,000sqft

• Developer: Allied London

Current status: Under Construction

Nearest transport: Salford Central

Weekly update by Chogmook

PortoNuts, Aztecaa13 liked this post
Old November 11th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #2869
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29658

Insider Media.

Quote:
Decision due on Northern Quarter apartment scheme

11th Nov 2016  North West

Decision due on Northern Quarter apartment scheme

Plans to build an 11-storey apartment complex in Manchester's Northern Quarter look set to be approved.

Red Lion St's application relates to a T-shaped site bounded by Union Street, Red Lion Street, Church Street and Catlow Lane.

It has largely been vacant for a number of years and shares a boundary with five-storey residential building and a four-storey commercial premises, which is used as a tattoo studio.

The application to be considered by Manchester City Council on 17 November is for a three-, five-, seven-, eight- and 11-storey building comprising 38 apartments above three ground floor commercial units.

Red Lion St's scheme would include 12 one-bedroom units, 25 two-bedroom units and one three-bedroom unit.

The three ground floor units would operate as either a mix of either shops, restaurants or office space and comprise a total of 2,150 sq ft. It is hoped that the proposed eatery would "complete the informal square which has formed around the external seating area used by Solita".

As part of the project, the facade of 2 Union Street would be retained and restored following the demolition of the rear of the building.

The height and mass of the development would create a series of blocks which would be staggered and of varying heights to respond to the surrounding urban grain and context.

A report submitted to Manchester City Council's planning committee said the proposal would develop an "underutilised, previously developed site" and provide a complex which would be "consistent with the aim of bringing forward economic and commercial development".

"This would create employment during construction and permanent employment in the commercial units and the building management on completion and therefore assist in building a strong economy," it added.

"It would complement the well-established community within this part of the city centre and contribute to the local economy through residents using local facilities and services.

"Manchester's economy is growing post-recession and significant investment in housing is required in locations that would support and sustain this growth.

"The city centre is the biggest source of jobs in the region and this proposal would provide suitable accommodation to support the growing economy and contribute to the creation of a sustainable, inclusive, mixed and vibrant community."

Manchester City Council has been recommended to approve the scheme.

PortoNuts, Aztecaa13 liked this post

Last edited by jrb; November 11th, 2016 at 07:44 PM.
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #2870
SteKnight
What was the question?

Likes (Received): 728

Quote:
One Spinningfields | Spinningfields
Offices | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1693947

Weekly update by Chogmook
Hi VDB, at the risk of sounding pedantic, I think that update was from another of Manchester's esteemed contributors, Caiman.
SteKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #2871
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteKnight View Post
Hi VDB, at the risk of sounding pedantic, I think that update was from another of Manchester's esteemed contributors, Caiman.
I've just been corrected on the other thread too

My bad - what a silly mistake! The only similarity is that they both start with a 'C'

Thanks Ste (or should I say ScouseInManc )

SteKnight liked this post
Old November 11th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #2872
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 297

That multi story car park is beyond ugly.

VDB, biosciemax, Jonesy55, scientist12 liked this post
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #2873
jrb
10th February 2008

Insider Media,

Quote:
A 16-storey apartment scheme in Manchester's Green Quarter is on the verge of receiving the go-ahead from the city council.

Stockport-based Anglesource wants to build 192 apartments on the corner of Lord Street and Cheetham Hill Road.

The scheme, designed by Leach Rhodes Walker and submitted by HOW Planning, includes a mix of one-, two-, three- and four-bed flats.

There will also be a 1,894 sq ft ground-floor retail unit.

Planners at Manchester City Council have recommended the project be approved by the local authority's planning committee next Thursday (17 November 2016).

A report said: "The proposal will contribute positively to the regeneration of the local area with a high quality residential development.

"The architecture of the building will include the use of a robust palette of materials which will provide a landmark addition along Cheetham Hill Road and mark the entrance to the city centre.

"In addition, careful consideration has been given to the balance between the need to provide car parking while taking advantage of the public transport options in the area."

The current site is partially vacant.
Old November 12th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #2874
jrb
10th February 2008

Place North West.

Quote:
Kier Property plans to start construction by next summer on an 80,000 sq ft office in Manchester city centre, redeveloping Oddfellows House which it bought from Aberdeen Asset Management earlier this year.

Planning permission is already in place for the demolition and re-build of the island site on the corner of Fountain Street and York Street. Aberdeen gained consent in October 2015 for an eight-storey office designed by AHR Architects, called Eleven York Street.

The floorplates would be up to 11,600 sq ft, and 5,200 sq ft of retail will be delivered on the ground floor.

Kier confirmed that it would be delivering the project as approved, and said it would be spending the next six months finalising the design and discharging planning conditions before beginning construction.

Continuing its activity on Fountain Street, Kier has completed the sale-and-leaseback of 81 Fountain Street to real estate investment company Aprirose.

Kier bought the 40,100 sq ft vacant office from Mercer Real Estate in September, when a full refurbishment programme was already underway. Kier is set to occupy five floors of the building with a shared service centre, leaving 14,000 sq ft available. The refurbishment is due to complete in December.

The purchase price for 82 Fountain Street was undisclosed, but Kier is understood to have made a profit running to millions of pounds.

Tom Gilman, managing director for Kier Property in the North, said: “These two deals demonstrate the high demand for office space in the heart of Manchester, and we are excited to be involved in the transformation of the central business district. We have been looking for the right opportunity for some time and Eleven York Street provides us with a perfect platform to break into Manchester and expand our already successful northern operations.”

CBRE advised Kier on the acquisition of Eleven York Street, and Colliers International acted for Aberdeen Asset Management.

CBRE acted for Kier on the purchase and onward sale-and-leaseback of 81 Fountain Street, and is the retained letting agent.

CBRE and Colliers are joint agents for Eleven York Street.
Old November 12th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #2875
jrb
10th February 2008

Embankment, Twitter.

Quote:
Embankment ‏@Embankmentmcr
100 & 101 Embankment will bring much needed Grade A #officespace to meet the continued strong demand: http://bit.ly/2a2xFE1

https://mobile.twitter.com/embankmentmcr

Aztecaa13 liked this post
Old November 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #2876
jrb
10th February 2008

First Street, Twitter.

Quote:

Old November 12th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #2877
VDB
Strong and Stable

Clipper's Quay | Salford Quays
Apartments | Salford

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1762500

• Address: All Plots, Clipper's Quay, Trafford Road, Salford Quays, Salford M5

• Architect: Leach Rhodes Walker

• Floors: Smallest 8, Tallest 15

• Number of apartments: 614

• Cost: £100m

• Developer: Amstone

Current status: Under Construction

Nearest transport: Exchange Quay

Pic by Stopfordian Dreamer - this one's rising pretty quickly! It was originally supposed to be going up in phases but it looks like they've decided to build the whole lot at once.

AbidM liked this post
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #2878
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:

Even just cleaning up Debenhams would make a huge improvement I feel
Agreed. The Debenhams building exterior is actually really nice. But it is in horrid shape. Have a look at the lower floors from the tram stop... eek
Old November 13th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #2879
jrb
10th February 2008

Circle Square.

Old November 13th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #2880
jrb
10th February 2008

What will replace Lincoln House.

Aztecaa13 liked this post