daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #3601
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25152

Angel Gardens | N.O.M.A.
Apartments | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1779918

• Address: Swan St, N.O.M.A., City Zone Manchester M2

• Architect: Haus Collective

• Floors: 33

• Height: 108m

• Number of apartments: 458

• Developer: Caddick, Genr8 and Moda Living

Current status

Under Construction

Nearest transport:

Photo by Toetallix today

AbidM, Bylina, Quicksilver, KlausDiggy liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #3602
VDB
Strong and Stable

Angel Meadows | Irk Valley
Residential | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post138928578

• Angel Meadows all plots, Dantic St/Dulwich St, Irk Valley, City Zone Manchester M3

• Architect: 5Plus

• Floors: 41, 22, 17, 12 & 9

• Cost: £200m

• Number of apartments: 754

• Planning application: due to be submitted April

• Developer: Far East Consortium

Current status

Pre-Planning

Nearest transport:

Plans have been revealed for Angel Meadows, a major new residential proposal centred on Angel Meadows Park near Victoria station.

The proposals will be delivered on behalf of Far East Consortium and Manchester City Council and involve a bookend 41-storey tower to act as a landmark and entice development further into North Manchester.

Bylina, AbidM, Quicksilver, biosciemax, sk327 and 4 others liked this post

Last edited by VDB; March 16th, 2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #3603
VDB
Strong and Stable

Middlewood Locks | Middlewood
Apartments | Salford

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...248338&page=29

• Address: All Plots, Middlewood Locks, Salford, Manchester M5

• Architect: WCEC

• Floors: 6-9

• Number of homes: 2,215

• Office space: 750,000sqft

• Cost: £700m for entire masterplan

• Developer: Scarborough Group

Current status

Phase 1 under construction, all other phases approved or holding planning apps

Nearest transport:

Today's Middlewood Locks update by Matthew Darymple

Don't worry, that's just the under-cladding :confused:

Old March 15th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #3604
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Here's the tall buildings update table. Lots has changed since the last update

10 towers above 100 either U/C or groundworks. This is really phenomenal. I believe this is only non capital city in Europe with such number of towers. And I am sure this number will just go up.

VDB, JamieUK, Longsight liked this post
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #3605
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
10 towers above 100 either U/C or groundworks. This is really phenomenal. I believe this is only non capital city in Europe with such number of towers. And I am sure this number will just go up.
I don't know the exact numbers, but Frankfurt is probably the only other one with such a claim.
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #3606
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 574

I think the "Angel Gardens" is my new favourite projects in the city! Just amazing. They have really designed it well by the looks of things. The perfect combination of shiny glass, traditional brick, height and open space. That green park leading up to the co-op headquarters looks stunning. They have ticked all the boxes really embracing the surrounds and public demand. Well done!

The developer for this has won many awards and is a highly respected company. Being a Chinese based company it's the perfect opportunity for them to invest in the U.K at the minute with the exchange rate. This will be the first project in Manchester for Far East Consortium, from what I can find. They had done some developments with hotels around the world and in London, I'd expect a hotel to be included in this scheme.
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #3607
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I don't know the exact numbers, but Frankfurt is probably the only other one with such a claim.
Nope, Frankfurt is well behind with only 5: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...94&postcount=2

KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by Quicksilver; March 15th, 2017 at 11:44 PM.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #3608
mileymc1

Better image below. Planning to go in April. Due to approval, groundworks to commence Autumn 2017. To be build in one phase with homes to be ready as early as 2019. Full completion expected by 2020.

I'd image this will be more the luxury end than student accommodation scheme. Looking at there previous work they generally give good floor height and this has a large podium/retail space below with double height. My guess, I don't think this will be far off the 140m mark.

Old March 15th, 2017, 11:45 PM   #3609
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Nope, Frankfurt is well behind with only 5: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...94&postcount=2
Didn't know that, thanks!
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #3610
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20011

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorack 1 View Post
You could have a underground tram going up Oxford Road to Fallowfield. Then running over the old Fallowfield loop, train line, which ran between Guide Bridge and the Midland main line at Chorlton. Its now used as a cycle/walkway starting at the Metro stop at St. Werberghs Road ending at Fallowfield
Sorted
The route from Withington or possibly Didsbury to the city centre along the Oxford/Wilmslow Road corridor would be an obvious choice for any first underground line for Manchester I think. From Didsbury to Victoria is around 8km I think, you could have 5 or 6 stops along the route as far as the university at Withington, Fallowfield, Rusholme etc then Oxford Road station, Victoria station and possibly one in between the two. That's what I would go for if I were dictator of Manchester. The very heavy bus traffic along that route shows demand for public transport is already there and would only increase given the time savings a proper metro would create. An end to end journey on that route from Didsbury to Victoria would probably take no longer than 25 minutes I think.

Bylina, Justme, anorack 1 liked this post
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #3611
VDB
Strong and Stable

Really aggressive schedule for the Angel Meadows scheme, not that I'm complaining

Thanks for posting mileymc!

mileymc1 liked this post

Last edited by VDB; March 16th, 2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #3612
sk327

Likes (Received): 351

Another tall?! Was this Angel Meadows mentioned earlier? Was there a rough outline but nothing set? This is incredible! Big city feel looking from the highrise towards Co-op, and it seems that we got our city centre park too!

These past two weeks have been phenomenal for Manchester with all the new proposals and construction starts. I honestly can't stop thinking that I actually can't believe this. Every single day I didn't have time to visit the Manchester forums, there was something major I missed. I've gotta say, this is getting more exciting than the London projects now.

Last edited by sk327; March 16th, 2017 at 02:21 AM.
sk327 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #3613
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
A cycle way and resealed road doesn't make an underground metro redundant.

To answer your other question "Where would the underground link to, city centre?" Well, you can think a little further than that. Have you ever been on an underground line anywhere in the world? Say, Barcelona, Paris, Madrid, London, Frankfurt, Berlin, New York, Sydney, Munich, Budapest... ok, so pretty much anywhere in the world (and there are a lot to use). Essentially, they don't "go" to the city centre, they "pass through" the city centre.

Basically, the rail line will start somewhere south of Manchester, almost certainly in Manchester's case above ground and preferably connecting to another rail line of some sort. As it reaches Oxford Road and the traffic and density increases in that stretch, it goes underground. It then passes through the city with stops that either connect to other tram or train stations or separate and usually to at least one of the main train stations before exiting the city center and continuing either West, North or East above ground to where it is needed most.

It is NOT just a short line from the university to the city centre. This is not how metro lines work. It works by taking people from the suburbs through to important places like Oxford Road and the city center and to the suburbs at the other end. Some passengers will travel south to the city, others to Oxford Rd, others will cross right through to the suburbs of the south and many will use it to change to another line, and this will be repeated the other way around.
Great public transportation already exists in Manchester for all of those uses you just mentioned. Which was my point. Of course it won't be a shuttle run from the university to the centre. I never suggested that. I was talking about the route people would take. The demand for ridership is already met by the existing cycle route and bus links. To make the metro line you suggest financially viable, it would have to go along routes that nobody actually wants to use.

Nobody in South Manchester ever visits North Manchester, for the same reason nobody in The Shire ever visits Mordor. So any additional routes beyond the original scope of a short centre-south line are completely unnecessary.

Plus the fact that Manchester is nowhere near dense enough to warrant underground tunnel works. Albert Square is walking distance from leafy suburbs and the green belt. That's simply not true in London or New York or Paris or the other wildly different cities you listed as examples.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:11 AM   #3614
mileymc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk327 View Post
Another tall?! Was this Angel Meadows mentioned earlier? Was there a rough outline but nothing set? This is incredible! Big city feel looking from the highrise towards Co-op, and it seems that we got our city centre park too!

These past two weeks have been phenomenal for Manchester with all the new proposals and construction starts. I honestly can't stop thinking that I actually can't believe this. Every single day I didn't have time to visit the Manchester forums, there was something major I missed. I've gotta say, this is getting more exciting than the London projects now.
Angel Meadows/Gardens is a separate project that is already under construction next door from Moda Developments, with a 110m tower.

From what I've heard and also know about... There is at least 6/8 projects like these between the 100m - 150m planned for this year. That's without the 10/15 already in planning or about to go into planning that we already know about. The only 200m+ towers I know about is the Owen Street and Trinity... But I'm sure there will be more in the pipeline

Bylina, AbidM, Quicksilver, VDB, sk327 liked this post

Last edited by mileymc1; March 16th, 2017 at 03:20 AM.
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #3615
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Nobody in South Manchester ever visits North Manchester, for the same reason nobody in The Shire ever visits Mordor. So any additional routes beyond the original scope of a short centre-south line are completely unnecessary.
Considering that the tram network crosses the city north and south, east and west and that nearly every single metro system in the world crosses the city and comes out the other end, I imagine you're assumption that nobody in South Manchester ever visits North Manchester may actually not be as accurate as your imagination assumes.

Quote:
Plus the fact that Manchester is nowhere near dense enough to warrant underground tunnel works. Albert Square is walking distance from leafy suburbs and the green belt. That's simply not true in London or New York or Paris or the other wildly different cities you listed as examples.
Really. Ok, so how dense was Sydney or Melbourne when they built their underground lines in the city center? Sydney built theirs nearly a hundred years ago. What about Auckland in New Zealand - a tiny Pacific Island country whose city is currently building an underground line through the city center?

Nope, there are plenty of examples of cities that have built underground lines through the city center, because as you seem to have misunderstood, the underground bits only need to go through the denser bits of the city and can remain above ground elsewhere. The Oxford corridor and central parts of Manchester are absolutely dense enough to warrant underground lines.
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #3616
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Great public transportation already exists in Manchester for all of those uses you just mentioned. Which was my point. Of course it won't be a shuttle run from the university to the centre. I never suggested that. I was talking about the route people would
take. The demand for ridership is already met by the existing cycle route and bus links. To make the metro line you suggest financially viable, it would have to go along routes that nobody actually wants to use.

To be fair nobody travels between North and South Manchester because it's currently so difficult to do so. When Metrolink expanded out in all directions between 2009 and 2015 what TfGM were surprised to learn was that Metrolink didn't actually decrease bus users along those corridors, bus users went up - as did Metrolink users. What they concluded was that light rail/rapid transit actually causes trips - the increased travel options and the ease of travel meant that people decided they would visit Chorlton; Oldham; Salford Quays; east Manchester; wherever else was on the new network.

So taking this in mind, a new link between North and South may not seem logical at the minute but when you consider the above it becomes slightly more obvious. You also have the potential economic benefits to North in that it'll be linked to the universities and the prosperity in South and Central Manchester. With a direct link to the universities, Crumpsall could become a cheap student area and reap all the benefits that would bring. North Manchester becomes more accessible and that's inevitably good for its economy.

Regards to your comments about Manchester not needing rail tunnels yet you may be right however Richard Leese was at MIPIM yesterday stating that "within the next ten years" we need to start looking at underground rail tunnels in Manchester, with negotiations with the government happening in the next year or so. It's also written into TfGM's 2040 plan - so the need has been calculated and it's definitely there.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....-city-12744372

Bylina liked this post
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #3617
VDB
Strong and Stable

Found Space | Deansgate
Apartments/mixed use | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...ntral+sky+park

• Address: Central Sky Park all plots, Deansgate, City Zone Manchester M2

• Architect: Simpson-Haugh

• Floors: 40, 14

• Office space: 240,000sqft

• Retail space: 23,000sqft

• Number of apartments: 370

• Developer: Ask Real Estate

Current status

Pre-Planning

Nearest transport

More detailed renders have been released for Found Space, which will see the redevelopment of the area behind Manchester Central convention centre. The plans also involve a new shopping centre and restaurants/bars at ground/podium level and new entrances to the Metrolink station at Deansgate-Castlefield.

Last edited by VDB; March 16th, 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #3618
VDB
Strong and Stable

One Cutting Room Square | Ancoats
Apartments | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post136955046

• Address: 1 Cutting Room Square, Ancoats, City Zone Manchester M4

• Architect: Falconer Chester Hall

• Floors: 9

• Number of apartments: 30

• Developer: Manchester Life

Current status

Under Construction

Nearest transport

Update yesterday by Matthew Darymple

Bylina liked this post
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #3619
VDB
Strong and Stable

Sky Gardens | Castlefield
Apartments | Hulme

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post131654346

• Address: 5 Ellesmere St, Britannia Basin, Hulme, Manchester M15

• Architect: Ollier Smurthwaite

• Floors: 12

• Number of apartments: 162

• Developer: DeTrafford

Current status

Under Construction

Nearest transport

Sky Gardens site is coming to life.

Update by Stopfordian Dreamer

AbidM, Bylina liked this post
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:02 PM   #3620
VDB
Strong and Stable

74-88 Great Ancoats St and M-One Central | Northern Quarter
Apartments | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post124993176

• Address: 74-88 Great Ancoats St, Northern Quarter, City Zone Manchester M2

• Architect: Tim Groom/IDP

• Floors: 14/13

• Number of apartments: 257

• Developer: Mulbury Homes/Factory Estates

Current status

Under Construction

Nearest transport:

Picture credit: AJD1984

M-One Central has raced ahead and it looks like cladding is now going on, whereas 74-88 Great Ancoats still hasn't got off the ground but it looks like there should be a core rising soon.

Update by Matthew Darymple

Bylina liked this post

Tags
manchester