daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #581
WingTips

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Room for more competition in city hotel boom...

Quote:
Manchester was recently named in the New York Times’ list of top places to visit in 2015. With Greater Manchester hotels recently completing their strongest year for occupancy since records began, the M.E.N. spoke to the man at the helm of the city region’s sector
Those are the words of Paul Bayliss, the general manager of The Macdonald Hotel & Spa Manchester.

More than 800 new hotel bedrooms are set to be delivered across the city region in the next 12 months, including Hotel Football next month , Motel One and Innside by Melia.

"There are 21 new hotels coming soon,” says Bayliss, as we drink coffee in The Macdonald Hotel & Spa Manchester, on London Road.

"If you are bringing that number of hotels in, you need 2,000 new staff.

The key is getting not just people, it’s getting those who can deliver real hospitality that makes each hotel truly unique.”

Without stopping Bayliss in his tracks, I want to know if competition in the hotel sector is good for Manchester?

"The competition is going to be ferocious, but it’s good for the city,” says Bayliss. “Because in terms of supply and demand, Manchester has it.

"Hotel Motel has 288 bedrooms and is going live soon, as is the 66-bedroom Hotel Gotham which is opening soon.

"Great St John Street are opening a 46-bedroom townhouse. The Innside Melia, at 276 bedrooms, is really interesting because there is one in London and about 300 in Spain. And it is right by the HOME arts centre, which also opens soon.

"Hotel Football, by Old Trafford, is going live in March and we all know how important Manchester United is for the city....

Full story...http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....-hotel-8675912
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #582
WingTips

Whitworth Art Gallery | Extension | Completed | Open | Stunning...

Few more shots for the above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Thanks nq.

It seems so odd seeing the landscape gallery empty

Compared to.

I think this photo.

and this one are my favourites from the article though.

Old February 20th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #583
WingTips

An insight into the above...

Quote:
MUMA has neatly tied up lots of problems at Manchester’s Whitworth art gallery – all it needs now is a final flourish

It is finished. Though the re-launch of Manchester’s Whitworth art gallery went with a bang – with artist Cornelia Parker’s explosive pieces spilling out into a firework display in its park – for its architect, Stuart McKnight of MUMA (McInnes Usher McKnight Architects), the process has been the gathering together of disparate elements, the final reckoning. ‘I felt we were completing it,’ he says.

The way he tells the story it has been a long haul for the Whitworth. MUMA’s project has rationalised, extended and enclosed this gallery in a park. It started life as Grove House, used as a gallery from 1890. Then James Beaumont started building alongside it, first the front section in fully blown high Victorian, and then working back – away from..

Full story ( well worth reading)..http://www.ribaj.com/buildings/muma-...whitworth-work
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #584
WingTips

2 St Peter's Square | 54m | 12 fl | Demo

And This Is How They Do It...

***Superb Video***

http://twostpeterssquare.com/film/

Old February 20th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #585
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Looks like they started putting some rail down in St Peter's Sq. Does anyone have a site plan of the new station? With the hoardings down in front of One St Peter's, there's actually a lot more space in that part.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #586
High-Fi
On Pissamoat Hill

Likes (Received): 279

Hi Somekindofbug. I can't locate a proper plan of the layout but this video by TfGM shows the general layout at 1 minute in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVMqD3mTME/

WingTips, SomeKindOfBug liked this post
High-Fi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #587
Freel07

Likes (Received): 14993

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Looks like they started putting some rail down in St Peter's Sq. Does anyone have a site plan of the new station? With the hoardings down in front of One St Peter's, there's actually a lot more space in that part.
I'm afraid all I have is a schematic sketch I did showing the track layout, but it doesn't place the track in relation to the streetscape.

What I can say is that the platforms move north slightly and the outbound 1CC line runs almost straight through the square from Mosley Street Princess Street junction.

WingTips liked this post
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 04:10 AM   #588
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Fi View Post
Hi Somekindofbug. I can't locate a proper plan of the layout but this video by TfGM shows the general layout at 1 minute in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVMqD3mTME/
Does that mean all the black tarmac outside the war memorial is going to be removed/replaced? Cause it looks utter shite and I always suspected it was temporary.
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:49 AM   #589
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 2855

Yes. It was there to tidy it up between finishing the memorial (so rememberence day could be held) and the start of the 2cc/new St Peters Sq stop works. In fact they've already started digging up sections of it for the new platforms and tracks.
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:12 PM   #590
WingTips

Disunited kingdom: Resurgent Manchester...

Feb 20, 2015 : The FT's John McDermott reports from Manchester on how the city is transforming itself into an economic powerhouse after years of decline

http://video.ft.com/4068686666001/Di...nchester/World

Uomo Senza Nome liked this post
Old February 22nd, 2015, 09:08 PM   #591
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25200

Corn Exchange
Food/Retail | City

Number of floors: 3 | Developer: Aviva

Current Status: Under Construction

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post121841043

Renovation of the former Triangle Shopping Centre into a new food court with restaurants, bars and a food market:

Work progressing well:

Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:06 PM   #592
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20020

Looks good. How long has it been closed for now? I've noticed it was shut the last few times I've been past it. I've always liked the building, it will be nice to see it opened up like that.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:12 PM   #593
pjm0512
Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1770

I think it's been about 8 months now? I know I was very upset when I found out Aspecto was closing and downsizing at the Arndale.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:29 PM   #594
SomeKindOfBug

Upside: That stupid

CORN
eXCH
ANGE

sign is coming down.

VDB liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:30 PM   #595
SomeKindOfBug

The lowercase e annoys me to an almost worrying degree.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:53 PM   #596
WingTips

Loving the look of the Corn Exchange refurb...given that its opposite the new Exchange Sq tram stop this will be a sure winner.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:13 PM   #597
VDB
Strong and Stable

Cambridge St
Apartments | City

Floors: 15-31 | Developer: Renaker

Current Status: Under Construction

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post120941091

Slowly rising.... Got about 5 floors to go now. This is the tallest block U/C (30 floors) - the other two blocks (21 & 15 floors) should start to rise after this one.

WingTips, pjm0512, Frankus Maximus liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:26 PM   #598
WingTips

Two more major hotels to be built in Manchester...

Quote:
The city's third Crowne Plaza hotel and a Staybridge Suites hotel are set to open - as Manchester's hotel sector continues to thrive
Quote:

Manchester's booming hotel sector has been given another boost - by the announcement that another two major hotels will be built.

A 210-room Crowne Plaza hotel and a 116-room Staybridge Suites property will open as part of The University of Manchester‘s £1billion campus development.

The two hotels are part of Bruntwood’s wider redevelopment of Manchester Business School (MBS) and will adjoin its new two-storey Executive Education Centre, which will provide a new home for the business school’s corporate leadership and management programmes.

The Crowne Plaza - the city's third- and the Staybridge Suites property will both operate under a franchise agreement with existing owner partner M&L Hospitality and will be managed by Cycas Hospitality.

Room boom! - the five Manchester hotels set to open this year

InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), one of the world’s leading hotel companies, announced the signing of the two hotels.

Bosses behind the scheme said visitors to MBS and the University, along with long-stay corporate business clients, will be the hotels’ major demand drivers because of their close proximity to Manchester city centre.

The opening of Crowne Plaza Manchester – Oxford Road and Staybridge Suites Manchester – will take IHG’s portfolio of hotels to 21 in Manchester.

Staybridge Suites hotels feature hallmarks designed to make guests feel comfortable and at home, and offer two suite types (studio and one-bedroom) with fully equipped kitchens, a work area separate from living areas, complimentary wireless anywhere, a complimentary daily hot breakfast, an evening social reception three days a week, a 24-hour business centre, fitness room and laundry room, all of which are complimentary for guests and a 24/7 convenience store.

Room for more competition in city hotel boom

There are five Staybridge Suites hotels in the UK.

Crowne Plaza Hotels has been a recognised meetings hotel brand for the last 30 years offering guests relevant solutions through its signature meetings programme.

It is one of the fastest growing hotel brands in the world, at nearly 400 hotels in more than 60 countries worldwide, with amenities and services designed to help guests be on top of their work and at the top of their game.

IHG has broader family of nine brands in almost 100 countries.

What the experts are saying...
Full story...http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....-built-8703360
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #599
VDB
Strong and Stable

Bupa Headquarters
Offices | Harbour City, Salford

Floors: 6 | Office Space: 145,000sqft | Occupier: Bupa | Developer: Peel

Current Status: Pre-planning, pre let secured.

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post121897309

The consolidation of private healthcare provider Bupa's multiple offices across Manchester and the North of England into one HQ building in Salford:

pjm0512, WingTips, ferge liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #600
pjm0512
Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1770

Nice, it should really fit in with its surroundings really well

WingTips liked this post
pjm0512 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manchester