daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #981
MatthewDalrymple

Likes (Received): 6684

Is this Tomorrow? I am so sunburnt I can't think. I am sure I have seen it on the site somewhere and I did look but I may have dislocated my retinas.

MatthewDalrymple no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #982
MatthewDalrymple

I found it. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1744576

Duh!
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #983
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25372

Thanks Matt. Yeah that's Tomorrow. Hope you don't mind if I show some of your other pictures with the "information banner" thing, too?

Tomorrow
Mixed Use | Salford

Cost: | £12m | Developer: Peel | Floors: 11 | Hotel Rooms: 112

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post124734947

Pics by Matthew Darymple:

Mr Cladding, JustWatch, erbse liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #984
MatthewDalrymple

What's the info banner?
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #985
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDalrymple View Post
What's the info banner?
This bit:

Quote:
Tomorrow
Mixed Use | Salford

Cost: | £12m | Developer: Peel | Floors: 11 | Hotel Rooms: 112

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post124734947
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #986
MatthewDalrymple

Oh yeah of course. Should have realised. Went home then went out again to 1 water street and Wilson street basin so am now in heat/sun stroke territory. Pics posted if I live.
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #987
MatthewDalrymple

Some new tram steps being put in at Deansgate this evening. No idea where they really go, so shoving them in here -

pjm0512 liked this post
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #988
MatthewDalrymple

Plus a weird hole the tram extension has exposed -

pjm0512 liked this post
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #989
MatthewDalrymple

Is there a post for ugly buildings that should be destroyed, either with proper equipment or small nukes, I am not fussed? I rode past this every day when I was in work in Salford and I saw it today and it still made me feel sad.

Old June 13th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #990
VDB
Strong and Stable

Edit

Owl. liked this post

Last edited by VDB; June 13th, 2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:08 AM   #991
MatthewDalrymple

Okay I know I have heat stroke bad because that post made complete sense to me.
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #992
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29861

Some interesting stuff on the horizon for Manchester.

Originally post by............

Quote:
Originally Posted by GShutty View Post
Thanks to the architects and planners doing the presentation. Very accommodating. I don't know how much of this we don't already know, but here's what I took from it.

Granada Studios building, fronting Quay St, will have a similar sized and styled (perhaps with a Spinningfields fusion) addition, elongating the overall foot print back in to St John's (end-to-end). There will be a large glaze, vaulted entrance/corridor in between that can be closed off for event purposes and left open, giving some permeability when events are not on. At the rear and extending the full length of the two buildings, will be a tall glass corridor. Currently a concrete corridor, affectionately known as 'The M1', the current, or most recent use was as a corridor to move props and it was something that the architects were keen to use/adopt (See top image, as below).

Beyond this, heading to the Irwell, will be the second phase of housing. The first phase of housing will be behind Granada Studios, on the Irwell side of St John's Gardens and the Granada Studios gardens. This phase of housing, the studios (which as we know will be hotel and events space), will hopefully be on-site in 12-18 months. Re: the hotel, they seemed pretty confident that a boutique operator was on-board, albeit contracts are yet to be exchanged.

Sorry I'm skipping back and forth here..... The 'residential' will be retail on the ground floor, offices on the first floor and second floors and 2, 3 and 4 bed apartments above.

The gentleman I spoke to referred to the towers, which he said would be all residential and indicated that the one closest to Quay St, is very much in the advanced stage and could again (I'm putting words in to his mouth here based on our broader conversation) be on site in 18 months.

The bonded warehouse will see the stables removed. These were added "~thirty years later", which would still be around 1860, I think, but happy to be corrected. Anyway, apparently they've been messed with and I guess take up much valuable, low level space, so have been culled. There will be some rather stylish (IMHO) deep light wells added to bring the lower ground floor in to greater use. I think we knew this, but I'd forgotten at the time. It should add an interesting feature to the streetscape.

With the bonded warehouse and lower levels of the apartments targeting smaller and medium sized 'creative industries', there will be no large office schemes within the development. The slack for is envisaged to be taken by 1 Spinningfields Square and Astley House opposite (both close by on Quay St).

Like Spinningfields, much of the public realm will be done in advance of the broader building works, which should bring some early vitality to the area and give the city a new, permanent riverside park, so I'm looking forward to that, as the Salford side of the Irwell continues to flourish. As part of the overall permeability of the area, an entrance at the rear (mid-way, opposite side to Liverpool Rd) of MoSI is being discussed (with MoSI).

MOST exciting for me, was discussing the 'vertical village' towers. One will be on hold because the land is being used by ciontract6ors for the construction of the Ordsall Curve. The other however..... I was very much given the impression that the behind the scenes planning is well advanced and that this could happen before we know. I wouldn't want to put a firm time-frame on it and the person I was talking to did not either, but maybe on site in 2017??? It was what he didn't (wouldn't/couldn't) say as much as what he did and the excitement that I'm sure I saw in his eyes..... (but maybe I had sunstroke and saw what I wanted to see.... just sayin').
Also.

Manchester Evening News.

Quote:
Man who is opening the gateway to a new Salford

11:20, 12 June 2015
By Alex Bell

Renowned architect Ken Shuttleworth talks to Alex Bell about his involvement in the £650m regeneration of Salford Central – creating a new gateway to Manchester’s neighbour

(the building has been demolished now)

Architecture, according to Ken Shuttleworth, is very much alive in the cities of Manchester and Salford.

And he should know.

Not only is he working closely with former Manchester United players Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs to redevelop a chunk of Manchester city centre, he’s about to get his hands on another scheme – this time on the other side of the River Irwell.

New Bailey and Chapel Street – or the £650m regeneration of Salford Central – covers the equivalent of 21 football pitches and includes luxury residential apartments, a multi-storey car park, a hotel and an office development.

Shuttleworth’s Make Architects have been hired by MUSE Developments and the English Cities Fund to create a mixed use 12-to-14 storey building.

Washington House, or City Wharf as it has been most recently known, is situated almost immediately above the Mark Addy Pub and close-by Salford Central Train Station but is now all-but demolished.

The site was also home to a horsehshoe-shaped prison in the 1820s called New Bayley, which was built by Thomas Butterworth Bayley.

Parts of the prison were unearthed in an excavation by archaeologists from Salford University just two months ago.

It was home to around 1,000 Manchester criminals, locked up for crimes ranging from burglary and rioting, to less serious offences such as breaching the peace and libel.

The name New Bailey is a play on New Bayley Prison, which eventually moved up to Strangeways.

Shuttleworth said the building he and Make are set to design will transform the area into a gateway site and not just somewhere people want to walk past quickly.

The 61-year-old, a partner at Make since leaving Foster and Partners in 2004, says: “At the moment we can’t reveal everything about what will replace City Wharf once it’s down.

"But we know it will have a diagonal diamond shaped roof which has a ridge with both a low point and a high point.

“That’s what we are looking at right now, anyway, as well as warm colours that will make it unique and warm as a building.

"We also will ensure that it fits with its surroundings.

“The roof will almost be a kite shape and it will make for a dramatic view when looking at the building from the centre of Manchester.”

Plans for the dramatic 50-acre Salford Central scheme have been in the public eye since December 2006.

A 660 space multi-storey NCP car park is now open, as is a 143-bed Premier Inn hotel on the south facing side of the River Irwell. Vimto Gardens – on the site of the original Vimto factory – has 83 apartments and 13 townhouses.

Planning has also been granted for 36 townhouses with rooftop gardens in the historic heart of Salford next to St Philip’s Church too. And a £16m rental scheme was announced just last week.

“The Salford Central scheme is huge," says Shuttleworth, during a chat at the People’s History Museum on the Manchester side of the Irwell, overlooking the former prison site.

“The building we are working on is in itself interesting.

"We have old maps of when it was a prison, which was before the railways came in and through.

“What we may try and do is get some of the influence of the prison into the building, not directly though. When complete it will be a flexible mixed use space."

He adds: "We want to create the best buildings in the world first and foremost at Make. It’s as simple as that, really. We look at legacy, aspirations, budget. There is no pre-conceived idea. This particular site is fantastic.

“We are trying to bring a bit of thinking from around the world to make this building unique and special.

“We are still thinking about how best to do that. But I will say that there won’t be anything else like it around here.

“It’s south facing and based on the river and will become a symbol and gateway for the area.”

Shuttleworth, despite being Birmingham born and bred, believes Manchester is the nation’s second city.

“It’s fantastic to be in Manchester,” he says. When I was at Foster we worked on Spinningfields right at the very start.

“So, this is the first time I’ve been back to Manchester in a while. But I’ve not done anything with Make before in either of the cities.

"The offer here continually improves. Architecture is alive. Manchester has a history and legacy of really confident and strong architecture. And that’s what we see ourselves doing here.

“With the building we are designing, you don’t feel like you are in Salford, it feels just like Manchester, which is interesting.

"The Mark Addy pub is a famous landmark and is right underneath us. Spinningfields also links through and it is quite well connected across the river.”

He adds: “I suppose it’s tough for me to say this, but I think you’ve got to say that Manchester is the second city. It has pressed forward so much.

“There are obviously architects who live here who do good work.

“Architects in general, anywhere around the world, start off with a lot of constraints. I find that the more constraints there are, the better and stronger the building ends up being.

“I paint as well and find the processes very different. Architecture is an art but the great thing about it is that it combines art and science. It brings both sides of those worlds together.”

erbse liked this post
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #993
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29861

Originally posted by..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiman View Post
Maybe another week or so and demolition will be completed for the No 1 Spinningfields site.

How it will look reminder:

jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #994
VDB
Strong and Stable

Middlewood Locks (Phase 1)
Offices | Salford

Floors: 18 & 25 | Office Floorspace: 430,000sqft | Developer: Scarborough

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post124752347

Phase 1 of the Middlewood Locks masterplan has been announced, they want to start on site in Q1 2016 with two new office towers (one 18 floors, one 25) amounting to 430,000sqft of office space.

Plot A:

Development is funded 75% by Scarborough Development Group and 25% by Far East investors.
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #995
VDB
Strong and Stable

Wilburn Basin
Apartments | Salford

Floors: 7-21 | Number of Apartments: 500 | Developer: Renaker

Current Status: Under Construction

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1755376&page=3

Matthew Darymple's update, showing that this is rising really quickly

pjm0512, Mr Cladding liked this post
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #996
VDB
Strong and Stable

X1 The Plaza - Eastbank
Apartments | Midtown

Floors: 10 | Number of Apartments: 196 | Developer: X1

Current Status: Proposed

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post124788828

Old June 15th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #997
VDB
Strong and Stable

Today (June 15 2015) marks 19 years since the IRA detonated a 1,500kg bomb in the centre of Manchester - the largest bomb to be detonated on the British mainland since World War Two, causing £1.2bn worth of damage, and injuring 212 people.

A red and white van was parked up on the corner of Corporation St and Market St that morning (a Saturday), and within 2 minutes it had received a parking ticket (typical!) The IRA sent a coded message to Granada, the BBC and a local hospital notifying that the van contained a bomb. The area was evacuated, and a police cordon encompassing 1km in all directions was created. 80,000 people had to be evacuated from the area. The bomb squad were called in from Liverpool, but didn't arrive in time and at just after 11.15am, the bomb exploded - causing a cloud higher than the adjacent Arndale Tower to rise:

This video shows the discovery of the van on CCTV just after 10am, and then the explosion.

Despite the police cordon being set far and wide across the city centre, 212 people were injured due to falling debris. Glass was shattered up to a mile away, and the blast could be heard from 10 miles out of the city centre. The police search which followed was complicated by fallen shop mannequins, which looked like human bodies from a distance. The glass roofs of the Royal Exchange and Victoria Station were badly damaged, and several buildings in the area - including Longridge House - suffered such bad damage that they had to be demolished. The bomb was condemned by the Major government and, in the US, Bill Clinton, who was "deeply outraged" by the event.

Apologies for the size of some of these pictures:

pjm0512 liked this post
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #998
VDB
Strong and Stable

X1 Exchange
Apartments | Exchange Quay, Salford

Floors: 11 | No. of apartments: 140 | Developer: X1

Current Status: Under construction

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post120705940

Update by Matthew Darymple:

Mr Cladding liked this post
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #999
MatthewDalrymple

posted in wrong thread, should be X1 The Exchange
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #1000
MatthewDalrymple

Which leads me to, what are these things round the back? Fairly boring and almost done, but still curious -

Tags
manchester