daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #101
Karl1587
~~UrbanAddiction~~

Likes (Received): 1492

Really excited about Manchester at the moment... A lot of great projects proposed and currently underway...
Karl1587 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #102
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
In the 1990s, this was all thankfully cleared once again and a new Hulme rose out of the rubble, adopting the sense of community which should never have been lost in the 1960s. New Hulme isn't as dense as pre-1960s Hulme, or as unforgivingly tall as 1960s Hulme - instead it strikes the right balance of 3 and 4 storey town houses and apartments aimed at young professionals and families
As much as I love the projects going up in Manchester I have to comment on this. I think those Hulme developments lack all the characteristics of urbanity. They look suburban, and should be kept away from the inner city.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #103
sk327

Likes (Received): 352

I'm very excited for Manchester and I think it's got great potential. A 20-30 story building is not that uncommon anymore, and I believe this will keep getting higher as investors realise that it is worth investing in Manchester and profitable building tall in the city.

I'm especially enthusiastic about the Metrolink expansion as I think transport links are absolutely vital for a city to become more international.

Also, I really hope that Manchester remains relatively affordable. This is where London fails and Manchester can gain ground from.

And finally, I am glad that the government now understands that spreading the wealth up north by having a Northern powerhouse is very important. I think if they really are serious about this there should be massive house building in Greater Manchester.
The reason I'm saying this is because at the moment it has got roughly the same population as Birmingham, therefore by expanding it, it would clearly become the 2nd city. But also, the population growth is not that significant compared to London, so if London gets a million people within a decade as it's projected, it will just keep getting way more attention, projects etc and the problem will exacerbate. Balancing the population could help, in my opinion. Massive house building may also guarantee, for a period of time at least, that Manchester will keep supply up with demand and will not become unaffordable.

VDB liked this post
sk327 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #104
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25372

St John's Quarter

Today was the beginning of the early stages of the redevelopment of a major part of Central Manchester: the former Granada Studios. Granada have moved to a larger site at the Quays, opening up a large site in the city. Allied London, who already own Spinningfields (Manchester's newest business district) have now released plans of what they want to do with the land: calling it St John's Quarter after the already-existing St John's Gardens, which is on site.

The project mainly focuses on the groundscrapers, the 4-5-6 storey residential "villages". They want quite narrow streets, quite an intimate area. Mike Ingall, head of Allied London, likened it to the Northern Quarter, he wants this area to be exclusively for start-up businesses and families. He spoke of encouraging family amenities on site: pharmacies, places of worship and schools.

The tallest tower on site, we estimate it to be about 130m, will be part of the first phase with the rest following afterwards.

BlackCountryAl liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #105
Mr Bricks

Very promising.
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #106
m4rcin
northwesternlised

Likes (Received): 102

Looks great! Want to see more of it!
m4rcin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #107
VDB
Strong and Stable

A new office tower proposed for Manchester today. Looks smart. Eric Parry architects

Quote:
24 Mount Street Manchester M2 3DB

Demolition of London Scottish House and construction of new 17 Storey (inc ground floor) office building (Use Class B1) with ground floor uses (Class A1 (shops), A2 (financial and professional services, and B1 Office)) car parking, bicycle parking, landcsaping, access and servicing arrangements and associated works.
[IMG]http://i58.************/2cpe39e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i59.************/2rdfejc.jpg[/IMG]

Old August 12th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #108
Mr Bricks

Nice materials. We don't need more glass.
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #109
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Nice materials. We don't need more glass.
Such words of wisdom.

Why not brick up the windows!

Anyway, it's a nice looking scheme, the roof could be better resolved and an additional few floors would really help it to soar - but overall a very nice scheme.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #110
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

St.John's quarter looks Outstanding. It would be awesome if a few towers inbetween St.Johns and The Beetham tower were built! A true skyline!
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #111
Karl1587
~~UrbanAddiction~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
Such words of wisdom.

Why not brick up the windows!

Anyway, it's a nice looking scheme, the roof could be better resolved and an additional few floors would really help it to soar - but overall a very nice scheme.
Was there any need for that?! really? we all know what he means...
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #112
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

It's because I knew what he meant (what he really meant) that I said it - anyway lets not derail the topic further.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #113
Karl1587
~~UrbanAddiction~~

Fair enough...

Are they going to be keeping the big screen when they spruce up The Triangle? Or is it going to be moved somewhere else? Doesn't seem to be included in the renders...
Old August 13th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #114
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl1587 View Post
Fair enough...

Are they going to be keeping the big screen when they spruce up The Triangle? Or is it going to be moved somewhere else? Doesn't seem to be included in the renders...
Hopefully it won't be kept, you're right that the renders don't include it - which is a breath of fresh air. Wouldn't be surprised if they slap it on once they're finished though
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #115
Karl1587
~~UrbanAddiction~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Hopefully it won't be kept, you're right that the renders don't include it - which is a breath of fresh air. Wouldn't be surprised if they slap it on once they're finished though
I liked sitting there with some dinner watching the news and stuff... Nowhere else they could put it really if they were to move it.
Manchester is exciting me atm. Loads of cool projects (some not so). I've always said Manc's skyline doesn't seem big enough!! Here's gonna change lol
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #116
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl1587 View Post
I liked sitting there with some dinner watching the news and stuff... Nowhere else they could put it really if they were to move it.
Manchester is exciting me atm. Loads of cool projects (some not so). I've always said Manc's skyline doesn't seem big enough!! Here's gonna change lol
They could perhaps put it on the other side facing Cathedral Gardens? That'd be a nice place to sit and eat lunch and whatever.

Manchester's very exciting at the moment, you're right. Hopefully we can bulk up the skyline a bit.

Karl1587 liked this post
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #117
VDB
Strong and Stable

No1 Spinningfields | 20 floors | Offices

Allied London now have a pre-let for this, whom they don't yet want to mention in the press, but it now means they're looking to begin demolition on the existing structure next month with work on the "tower" starting in the New Year:

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old August 14th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #118
VDB
Strong and Stable

Mixed Use Hotel and Offices, 11 Floors, MediaCityUK

11 storey hotel proposed for Salford Quays in Salford, Manchester. Part offices, part hotel.

[IMG]http://i59.************/2ltsn6o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i61.************/egy8hx.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 16th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #119
VDB
Strong and Stable

Barton Square Redevelopment

Newly built shopping centre will be getting a new roof:

Chadoh25 liked this post
Old August 16th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #120
VDB