daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 8th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #1561
PJH2015
Registered User
 
PJH2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Manchester
Posts: 703
Likes (Received): 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Two Greengate
Apartments | Salford

Floors: 15-31 | Number of Apartments: 500 | Developer: Renaker

Current Status: Under Construction

Nearest transport: Victoria


Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post121223770


Update by Tony_H1:

Love that density. And that's only going to increase as Greengate swells outwards and upwards.
PJH2015 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #1562
steppenwolf
Registered User
 
steppenwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London
Posts: 1,059
Likes (Received): 282

Looking closely at this, one word comes to mind: PIG. And that's insulting to pigs which are actually rather beautiful. So I will change my word to SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Manchester forumer AJD1984 has created this mock photo of what the Greengate Embankment area of Salford will look like once Exchange Court (44 floors) and Norton Court (36 floors) have completed, alongside the U/C Two Greengate (31 floors).

__________________
@peakay81
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #1563
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,141
Likes (Received): 25152

Barnes Hospital Village
Housing | Stockport, Greater Manchester

Number of homes: 155 | Developer: Henley | Council: Stockport

Current Status: Under construction

Nearest transport: East Didsbury


Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1585184







Update by Stopfordian Dreamer:





__________________
Strong and Stable.

Greedy Sheedy, ferge liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #1564
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,141
Likes (Received): 25152

Embankment West
Apartments | Salford

No. of apartments: 694 | Floors: 32, 25, 12 | Developer: Select Property/Ask

Current status: Pre-planning

Nearest transport: Victoria

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post130347238



New images released of Embankment West:









__________________
Strong and Stable.

Mr Cladding, PortoNuts liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #1565
Bligh
Registered User
 
Bligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,439
Likes (Received): 796

Great stuff guys.
__________________
~
"when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #1566
po8crg
Richard
 
po8crg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,301
Likes (Received): 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
[CENTER]Barnes Hospital Village
Housing | Stockport, Greater Manchester

Number of homes: 155 | Developer: Henley | Council: Stockport

Current Status: Under construction

Nearest transport: East Didsbury
Gatley station is closer.
__________________

VDB liked this post
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #1567
delores
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,905
Likes (Received): 467

Does Manchester ever think of designing something that is not just a large rectangle extruded?
__________________

benpicko liked this post
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #1568
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
Does Manchester ever think of designing something that is not just a large rectangle extruded?
They're cuboids. Rectangles are two-dimensional shapes.
__________________

PJH2015 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #1569
VDB
Strong and Stable
 
VDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Strong and Stable
Posts: 19,141
Likes (Received): 25152

We're at the stage where we're still building the "bedrock" of our skyline Delores. This means that blocky structures are best for now, and hopefully in future we'll be able to build on that with more iconic/interesting shaped towers.

It could be worse: we could be London with all its silly shapes, bulges, random objects sticking out crying for attention - creating a motley assembly which is just a little bit "ew" in my opinion
__________________
Strong and Stable.

Greedy Sheedy liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #1570
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,998
Likes (Received): 10961

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
It could be worse: we could be London with all its silly shapes, bulges, random objects sticking out crying for attention - creating a motley assembly which is just a little bit "ew" in my opinion
However three of those schemes with silly names (The Cheesegrater , The Scalpel and Walkie Talkie) exist because of viewing corridors with criss-cross London in order to protect St Paul's Cathedral.

Although there also many buildings with silly names that are crying out for attention
  • One Blackfriars , The Boomerang
  • St Georges Wharf Tower , The Nose Hair Trimmer
  • Hertsmere House , The Phallic tower
  • Newfoundland , The Diamond Tower
  • 22 Bishopsgate , i call it the cartridge but the jury is still out on this one.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #1571
PeterManc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 809
Likes (Received): 798

> St Georges Wharf Tower , The Nose Hair Trimmer

Ha - I had never heard that name before but it is very apt. When I lived in Brixton for a while, that awful building used to completely ruin the view of the skyline from Brockwell Park. This was a particular shame as this was the place from where the skyline in the City made most sense - as the Shard towered above it all quite beautifully. I am not optimistic about Nine Elms, but, if the oligarchs insist that it must be built, hopefully it will do something to hide that tower.

The Nose Hair Trimmer also now ruins the otherwise quite lovely view west from Waterloo Bridge towards Parliament. Personally, I would make the views from both sides of Waterloo Bridge protected (with an exception for Canary Wharf) and that would include unnecessary bridges!

As for Manchester, I agree that it would be a good idea to avoid phalluses or pyramids etc until we know how the rectangles work first. I would much rather we build nice quality buildings for the sake of functionality at this point than go off on some ego-project. I am quite a fan, though, of the kind of modest medium-tall skylines you get in smaller American cities like Madison or Louisville or even Indianapolis. They always strike me as quietly proud but not overbearing. I think we already have some really good examples of that kind of thing here - like City Tower etc. They just don't quite join up in a skyline. But as rectangles go, they are pretty cool and work well in the streetscape.

Last edited by PeterManc; February 9th, 2016 at 04:17 PM.
PeterManc está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #1572
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,998
Likes (Received): 10961

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterManc View Post
> St Georges Wharf Tower , The Nose Hair Trimmer

Ha - I had never heard that name before but it is very apt. When I lived in Brixton for a while, that awful building used to completely ruin the view of the skyline from Brockwell Park. This was a particular shame as this was the place from where the skyline in the City made most sense - as the Shard towered above it all quite beautifully. I am not optimistic about Nine Elms, but, if the oligarchs insist that it must be built, hopefully it will do something to hide that tower.

The Nose Hair Trimmer also now ruins the otherwise quite lovely view west from Waterloo Bridge towards Parliament. Personally, I would make the views from both sides of Waterloo Bridge protected (with an exception for Canary Wharf) and that would include unnecessary bridges!

As for Manchester, I agree that it would be a good idea to avoid phalluses or pyramids etc until we know how the rectangles work first. I would much rather we build nice quality buildings for the sake of functionality at this point than go off on some ego-project. I am quite a fan, though, of the kind of modest medium-tall skylines you get in smaller American cities like Madison or Louisville or even Indianapolis. They always strike me as quietly proud but not overbearing. I think we already have some really good examples of that kind of thing here - like City Tower etc. They just don't quite join up in a skyline. But as rectangles go, they are pretty cool and work well in the streetscape.
Manchester is not a stranger to showy buildings , just look at the Beetham Tower for instance. It looks a like Jetpack.
__________________

PeterManc, PJH2015 liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #1573
PeterManc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 809
Likes (Received): 798

> Manchester is not a stranger to showy buildings ,

Town Hall too, of course!

I don't mind showy buildings. When they work they are fab - like the Gherkin or St Pancras - or Beetham for that matter. There's just always a risk involved, so you'd better have confidence in the people and motivations behind them! My worry is that it's all a bit too much about quick profits at the moment - not enough about civic pride. This definitely applies to at least one proposed Manchester building that I would be happy not to see built.

Last edited by PeterManc; February 9th, 2016 at 04:53 PM.
PeterManc está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #1574
Mr. Creosote88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 65
Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterManc View Post
> Manchester is not a stranger to showy buildings ,

Town Hall too, of course!

I don't mind showy buildings. When they work they are fab - like the Gherkin or St Pancras - or Beetham for that matter. There's just always a risk involved, so you'd better have confidence in the people and motivations behind them! My worry is that it's all a bit too much about quick profits at the moment - not enough about civic pride. This definitely applies to at least one proposed Manchester building that I would be happy not to see built.
It's really all a matter of balance, and not overdoing it. For of course, someof the showy ones turn out great like the Gherkin, other's turn out like the Walky Talky tower.
__________________

PeterManc liked this post
Mr. Creosote88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #1575
stop that
BANNED
 
stop that's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 532
Likes (Received): 546

It's great seeing these projects in Manchester, and seeing that the old damaging resentment between different british cities, north/south, is dissapearing, with manchester and Leeds now more cosmopolitan, optimistic places with a better relationship with london (which you need to maintain momentum, development and investment.

Liverpool is not quite there yet but is modernising, politically and economically.
Manchester seems to have cemented it's place as the new showcase city outside London, thoe Birmingham is resurgent now aswell which is great for britain and it's cities, plus Edinburgh of course.

The one thing that frustrates me thoe, is that our industrial cities like manchester/Birmingham, would have a transformative change in their image for the better and their international reputation, just by having a nice, attractive skyline, with a dense cluster of towers.
It would be so cheap to build relative to the massive boost it would do for the cities image and it's attraction for investment, culture, media etc.

The problem is we are terrible at planning such things, why is it so difficult to understand that when you build towers, you build them TOGETHER, ie in the same place.
It's not rocket science, all it takes is for Manchester and our other secondary cities, to build their towers together, and we would have some good skylines.
Just 20 towers or so in a cluster is enough to make a good attractive skyline, and a complete positive change in the image of our industrial cities .

It's such an easy thing to do, and it costs such a little amoumt of money, yet has such a big change and improvent in the cities image around the world.
Why on earth can't we just get it right, we should say, that from now on, all tall buildings will be built together, in a cluster.

If we had done that from the beginning, several of our secondary cities would allready have decent skylines. Get on with it, it's so easy, cheap and has such a big positive impact on the cities prosperity, image, success etc.
__________________

jrb, Bylina liked this post

Last edited by stop that; February 9th, 2016 at 10:48 PM.
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:00 PM   #1576
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 14,201
Likes (Received): 20011

A couple of thoughts.

At the phase of development where Manchester is at (and it applies to most UK cities) not every building is going to be an architectural masterpiece, the priority surely has to be to re-use the often long-disused or under-used land around the city centre to build up residency and employment which will in itself achieve more in terms of improving the urban social vibe and prosperity of the area than holding back and only approving proposals if they are likely to win the Stirling Prize.

Look at most cities around the world noted for their urban modernity and you will find numerous pretty bog-standard towers around the few standout buildings, it's the effect they have on the social dynamic of the area that seems to be the most important thing rather than their individual architectural beauty. Of course a city needs some iconic landmarks too but there's no real reason why every new residential project off Salford Crescent or Bury Old Road needs to be such a building. As long as it's well designed in terms of functionality and connectivity, integrated into the surrounding area and isn't an eyesore then build it, better than derelict land for sure.
__________________

jrb, VDB liked this post
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #1577
jrb
10th February 2008
 
jrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 45,406
Likes (Received): 29638

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
Does Manchester ever think of designing something that is not just a large rectangle extruded?
Unfortunately in the regional cities cost is King for developers, as returns aren't as great compared to London. Bigger budgets mean better (looking) towers. I appreciate that shouldn't and isn't always the case. Obviously much depends on the property developer and their Architects. On top of that most of these proposed towers are PRS towers, so some or all of them will be sold on during or after construction. The property developers will then move on to their next PRS tower. In essence washing their hands of their previous PRS tower.

Build the tower>Sell the tower>Move on to the next tower>Until the PRS bubble bursts>Get out quick and retire rich.

Last edited by jrb; February 9th, 2016 at 11:42 PM.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #1578
delores
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,905
Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
We're at the stage where we're still building the "bedrock" of our skyline Delores. This means that blocky structures are best for now, and hopefully in future we'll be able to build on that with more iconic/interesting shaped towers.

It could be worse: we could be London with all its silly shapes, bulges, random objects sticking out crying for attention - creating a motley assembly which is just a little bit "ew" in my opinion
In the future? I understand your angle but at the moment nearly every development screams of maximising yield and not much more. Surely architecture has more of role than just building to the maximum floor area without any obligation or effort to so something inspiring. There are never any setbacks no effort to make the towers taper to the sky. It seems we are stuck in a modernist rut, too scared to try something different.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #1579
robhood
Registered User
 
robhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Now Taiwan, before Liverpool UK , BCN Born
Posts: 6,753
Likes (Received): 3352

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
too scared to try something different.
that cost more money
robhood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #1580
stop that
BANNED
 
stop that's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 532
Likes (Received): 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
A couple of thoughts.

At the phase of development where Manchester is at (and it applies to most UK cities) not every building is going to be an architectural masterpiece, the priority surely has to be to re-use the often long-disused or under-used land around the city centre to build up residency and employment which will in itself achieve more in terms of improving the urban social vibe and prosperity of the area than holding back and only approving proposals if they are likely to win the Stirling Prize.

Look at most cities around the world noted for their urban modernity and you will find numerous pretty bog-standard towers around the few standout buildings, it's the effect they have on the social dynamic of the area that seems to be the most important thing rather than their individual architectural beauty. Of course a city needs some iconic landmarks too but there's no real reason why every new residential project off Salford Crescent or Bury Old Road needs to be such a building. As long as it's well designed in terms of functionality and connectivity, integrated into the surrounding area and isn't an eyesore then build it, better than derelict land for sure.
Exactly, not all the towers have to be masterpieces, in fact for a mid size city to have a good skyline it has to consist of lots of less expensive towers for the density, and some better ones mixed in to make a cohesive and attractive skyline, because smaller cities can't afford to build solely lots of iconic towers.
What they can afford to do is build, say 20 or so decent, functional but less expensive towers, and a few taller showpieces. That's all it takes, it's so easy and cheap to do. We allready have many of those towers in regional cities but they are completely wasted and may as well not exist on the skyline as they are all miles away from each other, like there was literally no planning gone into them at all, in fact not just planning, but no thought whatsoever by anyone at anytime.

Liverpool waters and wirral waters are our best development plans for an actual coherent skyline. Manchester City zone is becoming one but again it seems to have absolutely no grand design or u
Planning thought gone in to it at all. Do we have the most incompetent urban planners on earth, or do they just actually not even exist at all.

Last edited by stop that; February 10th, 2016 at 01:33 PM.
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
manchester

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu