daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #1861
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Pretty much agree with everything you have said VDB.

And I also was eyeing Pomona Island as a waterfront park. Manchester's lack of a central park really surprised me, and I agree, this is really important in busy cities.

In regards to Frankfurt, while the city center is dead after the shops close, the action happens in surrounding suburbs. Bornheim on the eastern side for instance is a couple of stops on the u-bahn outside of downtown, and bustles after dark. Same with Sachsenhausen in the south and Nordend in the north.

VDB liked this post
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #1862
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25150

Stanley St | New Bailey
Apartments | Salford

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=1770535<br />

• Address: 1 Stanley St, New Bailey, Salford M3

• Architect: AHR

• Floors: 11 & 16

• No. of apartments: 225

• Developer: Legal & General

Current status: Under Construction

Nearest transport: Salford Central

Construction has started on Phase 2 (the larger block) at Stanley St in New Bailey, Salford:

Quicksilver, JustWatch liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #1863
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Pretty much agree with everything you have said VDB.

And I also was eyeing Pomona Island as a waterfront park. Manchester's lack of a central park really surprised me, and I agree, this is really important in busy cities.

In regards to Frankfurt, while the city center is dead after the shops close, the action happens in surrounding suburbs. Bornheim on the eastern side for instance is a couple of stops on the u-bahn outside of downtown, and bustles after dark. Same with Sachsenhausen in the south and Nordend in the north.
I hope you enjoy your time in Manchester! Although I haven't been there in ages; it's a great City.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #1864
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
I hope you enjoy your time in Manchester! Although I haven't been there in ages; it's a great City.
Thanks Bligh! Pretty sure I will. The city looks like a really great place.

I'll be popping in this week to try and find a flat share in the central city to get myself settled in, and then moving officially next month.

Still constantly stunned by how many developments are going on there.

Bligh liked this post
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #1865
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7139

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Middlewood Locks Plots F, J & I | Middlewood Locks
Apartments | Salford
Quote:
Beijing Construction starts £700m Salford scheme

The massive residential and commercial neighbourhood is the second scheme to see the Chinese contractor start work after entering the UK market through an investment in Manchester’s £800m Airport City.

Beijing Construction has been actively pursuing further investment opportunities since last August when it announced it would be investing in Gary Neville’s and Ryan Giggs’ St Michael’s development also in Manchester.

The 24-acre Middlewood Locks scheme, located at the western gateway to Manchester’s central business district, is being developed by a three-way joint venture involving Scarborough Group International, Chinese property developer Hualing Group and Metro Holding, a Singapore-listed property development and investment group.

The first phases, which were granted detailed planning consent by Salford City Council in December last year, will see construction of 571 homes and shops, restaurants and extensive new public realm.

With a phased building programme the first residents are expected to start moving in early 2018.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...-locks-scheme/

VDB, JustWatch liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #1866
VDB
Strong and Stable

X1 Exchange | Exchange Quay
Apartments | Salford

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post120705940

• Address: 210 Trafford Road, Exchange Quay, Salford M15

• Architect: DK Architects

• Floors: 11

• No. of apartments: 140

• Developer: X1

Nearest transport: Salford Quays

Looking good and nearing completion.....

Photo by mr.cool

biosciemax, Mr Cladding, JustWatch liked this post
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #1867
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 840

I think we've been catfished as she certainly doesn't look like her profile picture
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #1868
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 10960

Aside from Mr Burnham who is being lined up as a potential candidate for the Manchester Mayoralty ?
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #1869
VDB
Strong and Stable

Exchange Court | Greengate
Apartments | Salford

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post130506507

• Address: 3 Greengate, Greengate, Salford M3

• Architect: OMI

• Floors: 44 floors

• Height: 130m

• Number of apartments: 350

• Developer: Renaker

Current status: Groundworks

Nearest transport: Victoria

Work now starting on this, pics by Civstu.

At 130m, Exchange Court will be Salford's tallest building and Manchester's third tallest building upon completion (provided Owen St Tower 1 starts soon).

JustWatch, Quicksilver, yeisson liked this post
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:10 AM   #1870
VDB
Strong and Stable

Barnes Hospital Village | Cheadle
Housing & Renovation | Stockport, Greater Manchester

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post132812538

• Address: 7 Whitby Close, Cheadle, Stockport, Greater Manchester SK8

• Architect: Original hospital building: Lawrence Booth; New homes & renovation: Jeffrey Bell

• Heritage Consultant: Turley

• Completion: Early 2017

• Local Authority: Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council

• Developer: Henley Homes

Current status: Under construction

Nearest transport: East Didsbury

Progress update by Stopfordian Dreamer. The homes are half-built and the hospital building renovation is well underway.

JustWatch, Quicksilver, Mr Cladding liked this post
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #1871
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 42486

That’s a nice little development.....
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 02:40 PM   #1872
blvd93

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cladding View Post
Aside from Mr Burnham who is being lined up as a potential candidate for the Manchester Mayoralty ?
Ivan Lewis, Labour MP for Bury South, was first to declare he was running for the nomination.
blvd93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #1873
VDB
Strong and Stable

London Road Fire Station | Piccadilly
Redevelopment | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post132826349

• Address: 11 Whitworth St, Piccadilly, City Zone Manchester M1

• Architect: Original building: Woodhouse, Willoughby & Langam

• Temporary Use: Events space/outdoor Summer cinema

• Long-term Use: Apartments, restaurants, bars, market & events space

• Local Authority: Manchester City Council

• Developer: Allied London

Current status: Planning app submitted

Nearest transport: Piccadilly

A planning application has been submitted for the temporary use of the courtyard (pictured above) at London Road Fire Station to be used as a mixed-use events space.

Planning application has gone online for temporary uses for 12 months.

Quote:
Fire Brigade Buildings 50 London Road Manchester M1 2PH

Temporary change of use for 12 months of ground floor of building and courtyard area to mixed use event and exhibition space (sui generis) to include market, food and drink, theatre, film and music events and associated ancillary activities

http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=O5ZP8QBC01D00
It's likely to stage the popular Summer Screenfields event, which is usually held in Hardman Square, Spinningfields: but due to construction of Number 1 Spinningfields has had to be moved elsewhere. I think the LRFS courtyard will be a decent venue.

The Screenfields event the year before last, when it was in Spinningfields:

AbidM, PeterManc liked this post
Old May 17th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #1874
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29635

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
That’s a nice little development.....
It's not really that little. Barnes Village is 10 minutes from where I live in Stockport. I pass it every day on the M60, or when I'm driving through Cheadle. Sadly it's bounded by the M60 and Kingsway, noisy Motorways and Roads. But being located where it is, all the Houses and Apartments will sell out.

http://henley-homes.co.uk/archives/d...es-village-sk8

yeisson, PJH2015 liked this post
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #1875
VDB
Strong and Stable

One Regent | Castlefield
Apartments | City Zone

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post129356158

• Address: 1 Water Street, Castlefield, City Zone Manchester M2

• Architect: Hodder + Partners

• Floors: 28

• No. of apartments: 301

• Developer: Renaker

• Cost: £30m

Nearest transport: Deansgate Castlefield:

Update by Stopfordian Dreamer:

Old May 18th, 2016, 02:08 AM   #1876
VDB
Strong and Stable

X1 MediaCityUK | Salford Quays
Apartments | Salford

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=403150&page=8

• Address: 1 Michigan Avenue, Salford Quays, Salford M50

• Architect: AHR

• Floors: 4x26

• Number of apartments: 1,036

• Cost: £200m

• Developer: X1

Current status: Towers 1 & 2 Under Construction, Towers 3 & 4 Approved

Nearest transport: Harbour City

Update by Stopfordian Dreamer:

.... and Marni1971:

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #1877
VDB
Strong and Stable

Andy Burnham bids to be Labour's candidate for Manchester mayor

The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...ter-manchester

Quote:
Andy Burnham has declared his intention to stand for mayor of Greater Manchester with a warning that Labour risks being eclipsed in the north of England if the party fails to take devolution seriously.

The shadow home secretary, who has been MP for Leigh in Greater Manchester for 15 years, said he would leave the Commons if he was elected, arguing that a “Londoncentric” Labour party must not repeat the mistakes that left the party in third place in Scotland in this month’s Holyrood elections.

Arguing that Labour must field its “biggest names” for mayoral jobs, Burnham said: “The mistake Labour made in Scotland was that when devolution came, we didn’t field our biggest names and consequently it looked like we didn’t take it seriously enough. We can’t make that mistake again.”

In an interview with the Guardian in Manchester, Burnham added: “For me this is a cabinet-level job, which needs cabinet-level experience. And it needs somebody who is going to devote themselves to it and grab it with both hands.”

Burnham was hoping to announce his candidacy in a speech at the Lowry in Salford on Thursday, but his team inadvertently broke their own embargo by changing the Twitter handle he used during last year’s bid to be leader of the party, from @andy4leader to @andy4manchester. The profile’s biographical sentence read: “The official account of Andy Burnham’s campaign to be Labour’s candidate for mayor of Greater Manchester.” The account retained all its followers, although all the old tweets had been deleted.

“I’m making a break with this thinking by announcing my candidacy for the mayor of Greater Manchester. I think I can do more for the people I care about, here, by being here rather than there, given this change. I am thinking that the time has come – Westminster has become a bit of an irrelevance for some people and we really need to change the way politics works.”

The election for the first mayor of Greater Manchester will take place in May 2017. Labour members in the area will vote for their candidate this summer, probably choosing between Burnham and the current interim mayor and police and crime commissioner Tony Lloyd, or Ivan Lewis, a Blairite minister and MP for Bury South. With nine out of 10 Greater Manchester councils run by or dominated by Labour, the Labour candidate is expected to romp to victory unless a celebrity Mancunian like Noel Gallagher comes to the fore and steals the show.

Burnham, who came a distant second to Jeremy Corbyn in last year’s leadership election, believes the mayor will have more power than his London counterpart, overseeing a radical project to integrate the region’s entire £6bn health and social care budget as well as overseeing transport, policing, house-building and skills.

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #1878
VDB
Strong and Stable

Stay tuned over the next 12 months or so to this thread, I'll be feeding you all information on Manchester's first ever Mayoral race as and when it happens

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #1879
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29635

After year's of being on and off, it look's like it's started in ernest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabezLad View Post
Property Alliance Group appear to officially confirm that construction is now underway.
Posted on a subsidiary site - http://alliance-investments.com - under "News" appears the following report:-
Construction of city skyscraper begins

Posted by alliance_int_admin In Blog

THE construction of Manchester’s newest skyscraper is underway at a site on Albion Street in the city centre.

Main contractor Russells Construction has begun preparatory works for installing the foundations for the 28-storey Axis Tower.

Designed by 5plus Architects, on behalf of development partners Property Alliance Group and U+I, Axis Tower comprises 169 apartments and two vast penthouse suites on the 28th floor.

The skyscraper will be a striking addition to the Manchester skyline, clad in bronzed aluminium panels and a glass façade system incorporating a 30 metre media screen.

Located at a gateway junction, it is a complex scheme with a tight footplate bound by a waterway and two main roads.

The 8,200sq ft triangular site sits on the bank of the Rochdale Canal, at the eastern end of Deansgate Locks, between Manchester Central and First Street.

Russells, together with their engineering consultants WSP, claims to have developed an innovative build solution to construct the tower, creating a statement residential development alongside the nearby Beetham Tower.

Gareth Russell, of Russells Construction, said: “Building a 28-storey tower on a small site on a canal bank in the middle of the city is no mean feat, but we have developed a wealth of experience of this type of constrained high rise build with several recent city centre hotel schemes, and have put together an expert team to devise and implement the solutions necessary to deliver Axis.

“There has been a lot of complicated planning and design to get this stage, so it’s great to get started.”

The build programme will see Russells partially remove existing foundations which were installed for a prior scheme, put in new foundations and create the basement floor of the new building before commencing the upward build.

During construction, a temporary platform will be built across the Rochdale Canal to Whitworth Street, which will provide access for deliveries. A tower crane will stand at the centre of the site for the construction of the superstructure.

The internal design of the building will a create luxury space, unique in the city centre residential market. The 24-hour concierge reception area will be in polished concrete with embedded artworks, and each apartment will be finished with high specification materials, all enjoying stunning panoramic views across Manchester.

Dominic Pozzoni of Property Alliance Group said: “The start of construction is an extremely exciting moment for the Alliance team, our architects 5plus and everyone who has worked so hard to bring this project to fruition.

“Axis Tower is an exciting opportunity which will set a new benchmark in residential living and, when complete, will provide a fantastic landmark at the city’s southern gateway.

“Plans for Axis have evolved in response to market demand, and now is absolutely the time to develop the site as residential accommodation.

“The popularity of Manchester has seen city living increase, and this is set to continue as new investment in employment and leisure opportunities further enhance the city’s appeal.

“The off plan sales and reservations we already have for Axis are further evidence of the prescience of this scheme, and we look forward to watching the tower grow over the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJH2015 View Post
Digger Digger Digger

Quicksilver liked this post
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #1880
VDB
Strong and Stable

Two Greengate | Greengate
Apartments | Salford

Thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post121223770