daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #21
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Video of modern railways in Austria
http://www.bahntv-online.de/btvo/sit...400&ids=141746

including antimations of railjet and Austrias second high speed train ICE-T
jump to minute 16:45 to see the interesting parts.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #22
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

very nice train, looks fantastic
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #23
rheintram
yeah, whatever

another rendering of the new central station. you can clearly see that it's not going to be a terminus.

Old March 25th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #24
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

locomotive is really looking nice. Nice project.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #25
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Plans of the new train can be found on the railjet website: http://www.railjet.at/de/Downloads/index.jsp
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #26
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5963

The city development project around the Hauptbahnhof is on hold due to legal disputes, which are clearly the ÖBB's fault. It seems the entire master plan will be scraped and a new competition will have to take place. A pitty as I really liked that current master plan with the central park and the concept in general. I fear the new one will be just a chaotic punch of planning failure as the Donau City where no structure or intent is visible in the city scape and everything looks so random.

Anyway, that is not the issue of this thread. The construction of the Hauptbahnhof itself is not concerned and construction works there are on plan.

Regarding the railjet, a multiple unit railcar is not necessary as the "highspeed" won't be that high anyway. 200km/h is what I expect it to go on the new parts of the Westbahn track. The ÖBB has just downscaled some of the currently constructed parts from 250km/h to 200 km/h. I dont know why and think its a terrible fault, but what shall I do? Hopefully, it could be at least upgraded to 250 km/h in the future without too high investments.

I know they are speaking about 230 km/h. But maybe someone can tell me where? Is there already a part of the Westbahn commissioned for that speed and if it is, where and how long is it?

Principally I am looking forward for the railjet however. It will be tremendous improvement to the status quo in connecting Munich-Vienna-Budapest. The Hauptbahnhof will do its share to make that train journey far more attractive.
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #27
rheintram
yeah, whatever

The rail tracks (Oberbau) are all built for 250 km/h, however the overhead line equipement will only be set up for speeds of 230km/h and in some places 200 km/h.

200km/h to 250km/h is not only a difference in speed, but also a tremendous difference in energy consumption. For the time being it is simply doesn't make sense to go that fast, given the small distances we have between the stops and various other factors.
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #28
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
The rail tracks (Oberbau) are all built for 250 km/h, however the overhead line equipement will only be set up for speeds of 230km/h and in some places 200 km/h.

200km/h to 250km/h is not only a difference in speed, but also a tremendous difference in energy consumption. For the time being it is simply doesn't make sense to go that fast, given the small distances we have between the stops and various other factors.
That is correct. But when the upgrade of the Westbahn should ever near completion, that argument might become leaky. If it costs than a fortune to redo all the Oberbau, it was maybe not so clever. If they predict to upgrade it in the way of a needed renovation at that time and therefore won't cost all too much, its a different thing. I hope however that it won't take so long until one can speak of a somewhat coherent new Westbahn.

Now that you say that the basic track can possibly support 250 km/h anyway this all sounds considerably less drastic.
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #29
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Sounds to me like they're building a 250km/h line, which physically would cost about the same as a 200km/h route (for the track, bridges tunnels etc), but only providing the power for 200km/h running, as extra juice and the equipment to provide it definately is more expensive.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #30
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
Sounds to me like they're building a 250km/h line, which physically would cost about the same as a 200km/h route (for the track, bridges tunnels etc), but only providing the power for 200km/h running, as extra juice and the equipment to provide it definately is more expensive.
yes you are right. Even after the new highspeed tracks are completed there are a few bottlenecks left, especially inside the old stations, e.g. in St. Pölten. The new tracks go roughly parallel to the old ones but join the old ones in some parts to reach existing trainstations. So 250 km/h is not economically justified until these bottle necks are replaced.

Btw. New Video about railjet: http://www.bahntv-online.de/btvo/sit...400&ids=141918
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #31
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

great new train, looks beautiful and i think its a cool idea!
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #32
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Similar to the ICE trainsets, which are called Velaro series by SIEMENS, the railjet trains are called VIAGGO Comfort by SIEMENS, since railjet is an ÖBB trademark (just as ICE is a DB trademark). Here is a SIEMENS folder about it: http://www.bahnindustrie.at/upload/d...io_Comfort.pdf
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #33
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
yes you are right. Even after the new highspeed tracks are completed there are a few bottlenecks left, especially inside the old stations, e.g. in St. Pölten. The new tracks go roughly parallel to the old ones but join the old ones in some parts to reach existing trainstations. So 250 km/h is not economically justified until these bottle necks are replaced.

Btw. New Video about railjet: http://www.bahntv-online.de/btvo/sit...400&ids=141918
The bottleneck around St. Pölten is already worked on. Not 2 but 3 tracks will lead to the railwaystation.

Additionally when the ÖBB gets its stuff together again, they might be able to finally build a freight train track from one terrible expensive crossing free junction shortly before St. Pölten with the one shortly after St. Pölten.

The first paragraph is already being realized, the latter would be more than extremely stupid to be not finished within the near future as the most expensive parts of that freight track have already been realized.

Both things together hardly will leave back any bottle neck in St. Pölten.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM   #34
rheintram
yeah, whatever

The first real pictures!!

Today a first railjet unit (consisting of 4 segements) was on its way for first testdrives!!

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:23 PM   #35
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Just in case you wonder, it's not a 100% completed unit (i'm not referring to the fact that it's a shorter one for the tests). On the outside it still lacks the coverings of the electrical parts. They were already partly installed, but taken down for the tests - no idea why. The insides are not completely finished either. As far as I know this first unit is used for breaking tests etc.

In May the second test unit will be ready. I'm sure we'll see some nice pictures of the first one in the meantime.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM   #36
Slartibartfas

Cool
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #37
Anekdote

Likes (Received): 29

the colour of the new trains look unusual.. maybe it's just me, because i dont really like the colour.
Anekdote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM   #38
Steve87

Likes (Received): 0

Great news! Will the railjet service directly compete with Deutsche Bahn's ICE-T services in Austria?
Steve87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM   #39
X38

Likes (Received): 22

Nice.
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM   #40
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve87 View Post
Great news! Will the railjet service directly compete with Deutsche Bahn's ICE-T services in Austria?
ICE-T service in Austria is a joint-venture between Deutsche Bahn and ÖBB. ÖBB bought three ICE-T units which operate in a pool together with DB. Hence it will not compete - at least not for now.