daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12567

How to Construct New Buildings with Historical Fascades ???

Most new mid to highrise buildings all seem to have modern facades (i.e. glass curtain walls, etc.), but I am interested in developing true historical time peices, such as Parisian 1880-1920 and Art Deco (see links below). I understand more labor is involved for masonry work and that the $/SF will be greater (if highrise hard costs=$200/sf then construction for these buildings = $?/SF), but is it possible for these buidings to be built economically? What would be the cost premium compared to a modern facade? Could the detailed masonry work be duplicated? Can any large commercial construction company handle the project?

AaronSJ liked this post
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Actually it can be duplicated and recreated. Many reconstructions across Europe use duplications for restoration of historic buildings damaged in WWII. I'm all for the use of classic details. It tends to age better. Stone is more expensive then glass but it isn't impossible. Stone detail isn't impossible either. The use of ornate work didn't just go away after our century.

AaronSJ liked this post
Unionstation13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #3
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

It is said that one of the buildings in 99 Church will duplicate a frieze from who was in the building that got demolished.