daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #41
Virginia Lover

Likes (Received): 0

Pei... can't anyone design a pyramid? I mean, the Egyptians did it.

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #42
mapece

Likes (Received): 521

I'd subscribe a lot of the architects mentioned in this thread: Le Corbusier, Gehry, Libeskind, Calatrava, Khoolas, Pelli, Philip Johnson. I would add also Adolf Loos and Mies Van Der Rohe (altouh Mies did the unlivable but gorgeous Farnsworth and the Pavillion), Richard Meier.
I have to say that I like Zaha Hadid, maybe it's my love for the curve line.
But above all I strongly disagree on Niemeyer.
I think that the bad planning of Brazilia was made by Lucio Costa, but the buildings of Niemeyer are often incredibly beautiful. His building for Mondadori in Segrate is stunning, one of my favorite of the century.

erbse, Zaz965 liked this post
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #43
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Every famous architect. Many people can design much nicer buildings but cannot build them because they don't have the reputation that these 'starchitects' have, although I think that Mies deserved the fame he had because of how he changed the world af architecture. Glassy, simple black buildings with vertical I-beam emphasis never always lose their elegant touch.

Many of Cesar Pelli's recent designs are far too similar, just a rectangular prism with rounded edges and a tapered top. His best work, by far, in my opinion, is the Wells Fargo Plaza in Minneapolis.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; May 28th, 2013 at 03:18 AM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #44
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Every famous architect. Many people can design much nicer buildings but cannot build them because they don't have the reputation that these 'starchitects' have.
Agree. For every celebrated architect, there are tens of thousands of people capable of designing something as nice or better. Some of them aren't even architects. The idea that these people are especially gifted is absurd.

They're simply people who were in the right place at the right time and devoted their life to this field. I bet there are 100s of people on SSC alone who could design as well as Gehry, Mies, Hadid, Calatrava, etc.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #45
mapece

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. For every celebrated architect, there are tens of thousands of people capable of designing something as nice or better. Some of them aren't even architects. The idea that these people are especially gifted is absurd.
What about Frank Lloyd Wright? To me he was a genius and he deserves his reputation (even if there are buildings that I don't particularly like, the guggenheim for instance). He was not only original, but there's a deepness of feeling in a lot of his works that is not only superficial spectacularity or gratuitous weirdness.
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #46
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1599

I think it would be Hadid for me. I have yet to see one single project of her (studio) that even remotely fits the style and "feel" of its surroundings.

[edit]
Oh what the hell, how old is this thread !?
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:49 AM   #47
nonothing2004

Likes (Received): 1

delete

J Simpson Br liked this post

Last edited by nonothing2004; August 18th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
nonothing2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote