daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #761
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
The architecture here is lackluster. No one is arguing against that. But this is now the tallest skyscraper cluster on earth. That is impressive.
the architecture in the tallest block is also incredible IMO.
so am i the only guy on planet who likes it?! doubt that.

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #762
PrincessTower
Tallest Block Resident

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
the architecture in the tallest block is also incredible IMO.
so am i the only guy on planet who likes it?! doubt that.
I'll join you.
PrincessTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #763
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1283

to me the block is amazing just because of the height of the towers. Just the pento, infinity have impressive designs. If you look closely on emirates crown,priness tower or other towers which arent supertalls within the block, it are just boxes with a fancy crown or roof feature. I think that the block could have looked more amazing with better desings and more attention to details and i hate the concentration of so many supertalls within a relatively small area u know. its a desaster and could cause traffic problems and so on. To me it looks just like a failed try to create a sci-fi uropia and has no real atmosphere and feel for me. I definatly would be impressed by the height when seen in person but thats all.

just my 2 cents

regards
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #764
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

There are some nice towers here but I don't think it was planned well at all. In fact I'd bet Emaar didn't even think that 400m high towers would be built there originally. Having all these towers spread around the marina (maybe a cluster or two of three towers) would have been much more dramatic I think.
As for the planning, there's barely anything at ground level at the moment. Maybe if the area in front became a park, then things would be better.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #765
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
There are some nice towers here but I don't think it was planned well at all. In fact I'd bet Emaar didn't even think that 400m high towers would be built there originally. Having all these towers spread around the marina (maybe a cluster or two of three towers) would have been much more dramatic I think.
As for the planning, there's barely anything at ground level at the moment. Maybe if the area in front became a park, then things would be better.
Yeah, architectural taste aside, the towers are just too close together. Imagine paying a huge sum just to have a view of another tower. It doesn't make sense. If they wanted a 'Manhattan effect', they should have asked New Yorkers if they liked living so close to neighboring talls. If people there do, it's out of necessity and not by choice.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #766
ProudArabian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

guys i have a question, what is the population that lives in Dubai Marina and JLB??? like does anyone have the figures?

Weren't these two projects orginally designed to hold like 500,000 people???? or am i wrong
ProudArabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #767
ianniss

Likes (Received): 1

Good question, which residential tower own the maximum units number ??
ianniss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #768
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
just that bit there would put NYC to shame. unbelievble density
But who will live or work in all these buildings. Dubai by far isn't a metropolis like NYC.
Seriously what is Dubai thinking?!
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #769
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10303

^there not thinking.
there building a city for the future while they have oil reserves.$$$$$$
Once it runs out they will base there economy on tourism.im talking 50-100 years time.
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #770
CULWULLA

fyi
Thrill walk for Coast's Q1 spire

ADRENALIN junkies could soon be walking among the clouds around the edge of the Q1 if Dreamworld's plan for an outdoor skywalk is approved.

The theme park owner is planning to create a new adventure attraction on the Gold Coast with a climb around the top of the world's tallest residential building -- 265m above the Surfers Paradise surf.

Dreamworld owner Ardent Leisure has taken over rights to QDeck and lodged an application with the Gold Coast City Council to build a walkway around the outside of level 78 up to the start of the spire.

The 'QWalk' climb has been heralded as a saviour for the local tourism industry, with the city desperately crying out for new attractions to lure repeat visitors.

"This type of attraction will be a key drawcard for the growing segment of adventure-seekers, which includes young backpackers who are looking for high thrill but unique adventure activities," said Gold Coast Tourism bosses Paul Donovan and Martin Winter, in a letter of support for the application.

Ardent Leisure's hopes of having the QWalk up and running by this summer appear to be likely with a council spokeswoman confirming a decision on the application would be made under delegated authority as early as next week.

The plan is to build two staircases leading up to the spire either side of the Q1, with three viewing platforms -- including one at the very peak.

The other two would be on the south and northeast side of the building and entirely behind the glass face.

The proposed walk, which could be similar to the Harbour Bridge climb in Sydney, would have a safety rail along the entire course.

A tourist shop on level one of the Surfers Paradise Boulevard building will include ticketing, safety briefing area, photo sales and souvenirs.

Ardent Leisure predicts the projected number of visitors would be about 50 per day during non-holiday periods and up to 220 during peak holiday season -- an expected increase of 80 per cent on existing visitor numbers to QDeck.

It would operate from 6am to 3am seven days a week with an additional hour from 5am in the summer for a 'sunrise experience'.

"The proposed development is considered a significant component in the maintenance of the Gold Coast as a leading Australian tourist destination," Ardent Leisure said in its application.

The Q1 is 322.5m high and has Australia's only beachside observation deck offering stunning 360 degree views of the entire Gold Coast, from the surf to the Hinterland and beyond.

The express lift reaches the top in 42.7 seconds and there are 1331 steps from the ground to level 77.

The Q1 Spire is 97.7m tall.

It starts at level 75, is made up of 12 sections and weighs 87.2 tonnes.

Powerful arc lights which illuminate the spire can be seen from 200km away.
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #771
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5174

that sounds awesome! I love that observation decks are getting more creative.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:53 AM   #772
PrincessTower
Tallest Block Resident

Likes (Received): 84

....just a little animation of tallest block progress between June 2009 and May 2010:

PrincessTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM   #773
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5174

Nice work! I can't to see that shot when all the towers are finished.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:38 AM   #774
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

wow, nice! it has changed a little bit! are those the only changes, or are there towers in the bakground that have been built between those dates?

I personally think of Eureka as the tallest, and that article kind of proves that point, because the Eureka observation deck is 20m Higher than the Q-walk.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:14 AM   #775
CULWULLA

should 101marina be added to this diagrm? it wont finish before the torch/23marina or princess will it?
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:11 AM   #776
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
should 101marina be added to this diagrm? it wont finish before the torch/23marina or princess will it?
An addition of 101 Marina would be fine - and this quickriser deserves it, regardless of which tower will be done first - Princess Tower or Marina 101, IMO.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:44 AM   #777
mclancer
Take off, eh!

Likes (Received): 9

Too bad, the Eureka tower looks taller than the Q1 with the "height cheater" attached.
Thank goodness the Pentominimum dropped the "only to beat the Chicago Spire",
It looks so much better now.
Spires are ok, but only if it completes the design of the 'scraper,
eg. The Torch & Burj Dubai (or whatever they call it now).

The time is here, "SUPERTALL FOR TORONTO" !!!
(Man, even the UK & Australia have one!... lol)
mclancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM   #778
CULWULLA

found out by altind, 101 marina isnt all resi, it has some hotel which means it doesnt qulify as pure reis. i think it has to be 90% resi? how many floors are hotel in 101marina?
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM   #779
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

the pentominium is still on hold right? and wasnt there supposed to be a spire added on the pentominium. at least i read it once.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM   #780
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
the pentominium is still on hold right? and wasnt there supposed to be a spire added on the pentominium. at least i read it once.
That was in 2009. Like on Culwulla's diagram, Pentominum is now brought over ground and rising. Take a look at the Pentominium construction thread.