daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Bogdan Alexandru

Likes (Received): 1

The city of Brasov, Romania

Hello, this is my first thread, yipi kayey!
This is the city of Brasov! I wanted you to know that Romania is more than just gipsies and homeless people and thieves and rapists. We also have things to be proud of, and in my opinion this city is one of those things!
It is a city of saxon origin, but you can find information about it on the net, without my help!

Theese pictures were taken from a mountain south of the city, called Tampa! I got on top by cable, as can be seen in some of the shots. They show the differences between the old city and the new one, built by the commies. In the middle of the old town is The Piata Sfatului, translated grosso modo into The Square of Advice, a place where people gathered in the past to discuss city issues. To the left of the Piata Sfatului and old city hall building in the middle, is the Black Church. Fortunately, they (the commies) didn't feel the need to demolish the old city, as they did in Bucharest for example, to build the House Of The Parliament, formerly known as the House Of The People in commie regime.

Theese shots were taken from an old tower, now open to public as a museum, somewhere south of the city! The tower rising from the middle is the tower of the old city hall building, the building in the middle of Piata Sfatului.

This is the Black Church, from what I know and was thought in school, the only gothic structure still in use today in Romania. Yes, it is a gothic church, even if it may not seem like it, but it's a specific type of gothic, probably saxon related (we call the saxons "sasi", pronounced sashi)

Finaly, i took theese shots from a road up a mountain east of the city! The road i was on leads to Poiana Brasov, a mountain resort, pretty famous arround theese parts!

In Romania, if you have the dough, you can build anywhere, parks, reservations, anywhere. I guess theese mo fo's knew the right people!

More...

That's about it! I will come back with more photos, this time of a town called Rasnov, pronounced Rashnov!
Hope you liked my stuff! See ya later!
Bogdan Alexandru no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #2
fettekatz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

I like the photos, looks like a nice place to live in? The city's location is fantastic too.
fettekatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #3
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3755

Bogdan Alexandru, the pics are really nice. Wellcome to SSC! Please visit the EE section were we have more threads of Romania: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumd...s=&forumid=388
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #4
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

Great photos. I visited Brasov in 1973 and really enjoyed myself. One guy I met in a bar showed me all around. He was German speaking and his girlfriend was Hungarian speaking!
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Bogdan Alexandru

Likes (Received): 1

10x for the comments, more pics to come, I just need to get the time to post them!
Bogdan Alexandru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Adiks
I am the Tramping Man !

Likes (Received): 37

Great city Post some streetshots if you could

TrampingMan.com

Discover the most beautiful places without even leaving your home!

San Francisco, Barcelona, Los Angeles, Cape Town
Adiks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #7
eklips

Likes (Received): 5050

The city looks quite compact and not too spoilt by ugly architecture, that's good
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote