daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM   #61
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

So where are pix? Don't tell me u opened the thread to tell us u were there. This is now the 3rd completely useless thread here today alone (beside those of hkskyline). Please don't ruin the subforum.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM   #62
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
So where are pix? Don't tell me u opened the thread to tell us u were there. This is now the 3rd completely useless thread here today alone (beside those of hkskyline). Please don't ruin the subforum.
Sorry to disappoint you. I was not aware that pics were required to start a thread. I just thought I would share some thoughts about an amazing highway trip. Perhaps someone more "equipped" can add some photos. In the future, I will try to be less "useless" to this forum.

Last edited by pwalker; May 23rd, 2007 at 03:48 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #63
Verso
Islander

^ You could've just put it in the US Interstates thread, not opening a whole new thread about it. Not that it has anything to do with the Interstates, but it doesn't have exactly much to do with highways/autobahns either...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:45 PM   #64
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Yes indeed, Verso. This could better be moved to Travel and geography.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:55 AM   #65
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ You could've just put it in the US Interstates thread, not opening a whole new thread about it. Not that it has anything to do with the Interstates, but it doesn't have exactly much to do with highways/autobahns either...
Well, this was a highway trip, and I commented on the condition of those roads. As for the "travel and geography" thread, honestly didn't see it. Perhaps I could have dug deeper into the site.

But why such an uproar over a simple thread start? End of the world? I think not.

Last edited by pwalker; May 23rd, 2007 at 04:18 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #66
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Oh come on, give pwalker a break! I too expected to see pictures in this thread, but it is indeed not the end of the world.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM   #67
Verso
Islander

^ Indeed it isn't, but if you love this subforum (like I do), you get annoyed with three quite useless threads a day.

Btw, uproar? I think not. Just a comment.

Last edited by Verso; May 23rd, 2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #68
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Canada winter resupply road open to light loads

TORONTO, Feb 1 (Reuters) - An Arctic ice road key to the resupply of Canada's diamond industry opened on time this week to regular truck traffic, according to the road's operator.

"The road is now open for light loads," said Tom Hoefer of Diavik Diamond mines, which along with BHP Billiton operates the road.

Minimum ice thickness on the 600 km (370 mile) Tibbitt to Contwoyto road is now 76 cm (30 inches), with 85 loads having been sent north already, according to an update on Friday of a Web site that tracks the road's progress.

The temporary highway stretches from the northern hub of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, across frozen lakes to link up four diamond mines.

In addition to a mine owned by Diavik, which itself is a joint venture of Rio Tinto and Harry Winston Diamond , the road services BHP's Ekati mine, De Beers Canada's Snap Lake mine, and Tahera Diamond's Jericho mine.

Tahera recently suspended mining at Jericho as it restructures its operations.

Typically, the winter road is open from late January until early April. Lightly loaded trucks require about 28 inches of ice thickness to cross the lakes, while super tankers carrying loads of up to 140,000 pounds need 42 inches.

Last year, nearly 11,000 loads were transported on the road, but fewer are expected this year.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #69
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Canada diamond mines see ice road opening on time

TORONTO, Jan 15 (Reuters) - A 600 km (370 mile) ice road that is key to resupplying Canada's Arctic diamond mines is on schedule to open around the end of the month, and should enjoy lighter loads this year than last, according to the route's operator.

The temporary highway, on which columns of transport trucks traverse frozen lakes during a typical two-month season, currently has ice about 50 cm (20 inches) thick in its southern sections, according to Tom Hoefer of Diavik Diamond Mines, which along with BHP Billiton operates the road.

"We've got our fingers crossed it will be the end of January. If you look at historical openings, it's been anywhere (around the) end of January, early February," said Hoefer.

Starting in Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories, the road snakes north and east into the neighboring Arctic territory pf Nunavut, providing the only ground supply route for four diamond mines, including Diavik, which is owned by Rio Tinto and Harry Winston .

It also serves BHP Billiton's Ekati mine, Tahera Diamond's Jericho mine and De Beers Canada's Snap Lake mine.

The road has been around for more than 20 years, originally serving the now defunct Lupin gold mine in Nunavut, but it has grown in importance over the past decade as Canada's young diamond industry has grown.

But as the loads have increased, road operators have had to also deal with warmer winters.

Following a nearly disastrous 2006, when mild temperatures closed the road early, they have taken steps to ensure an earlier opening and a smoother season.

Lightly loaded trucks require about 28 inches of ice thickness to safely cross the lakes, while super tankers carrying loads of up to 140,000 pounds need 42 inches.

FLOATING PLOWS

Last year, a back-up road was opened that parallels the southern portion of the route below the treeline, the area where the ice is slower to thicken.

"It gives us another alternative should we have a problem ... if for some reason the road should fail there. It would be a shame to have one pinch point controlling the whole road," said Hoefer.

In order to free the road of insulating snow and speed up thickening, crews now head out with plows in late December, using converted amphibious military vehicles that can float if they fall through the ice.

Thanks to these precautions, along with a cold winter, the mines enjoyed a long 73-day supply season last year, hauling nearly 11,000 loads. That allowed the operations to top up fuel tanks, so that it's likely fewer trips will be needed this year, Hoefer said.

He said he expects 8,500 loads this season, about half of which will likely be diesel fuel.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #70
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Highways & beautiful natural scenery

We have seen a lot of pics lately of gorgeous landscapes in the various threads.

I was think about a topic, with pictures of very beautiful landscapes that can be observed from highways, both motorway-grade roads, as ordinary highways, but not dirt roads, and that kind of stuff. It should at least be some kind of main road. Preferred are pics that both show the roadway aswell as the scenery.

Show em all! But please do not post like 30 pics in one post, we don't want the pages loading terribly slow.

Show the best of your country!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #71
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

Let me post a few pictures from the Croatian Motorways thread:

Last edited by snupix; March 28th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #72
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
We have seen a lot of pics lately of gorgeous landscapes in the various threads.

I was think about a topic, with pictures of very beautiful landscapes that can be observed from highways, both motorway-grade roads, as ordinary highways, but not dirt roads, and that kind of stuff. It should at least be some kind of main road. Preferred are pics that both show the roadway aswell as the scenery.

Show em all! But please do not post like 30 pics in one post, we don't want the pages loading terribly slow.

Show the best of your country!
chris. How do I add photos to my posts? seems I'm blocked from adding attachments but no idea why.
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #73
LP

Likes (Received): 448

Brazil

Rota do Sol
image hosted on flickr

Serra do Rio do Rastro
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by LP; March 28th, 2008 at 07:35 AM.
LP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #74
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
chris. How do I add photos to my posts? seems I'm blocked from adding attachments but no idea why.
You cannot add attachments to this forum. You have to upload your photos to one of many image hosting websites (Photobucket, Imageshack, Tinypic; I personally recommend Photobucket as it provides the best tools for mass uploading and management, something the others don't seem to do). After you've uploaded the image, use [img] tags to include it in your posts (or you can directly copy a link containing these tags from many of the hosting sites). Good luck.
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #75
LP

Likes (Received): 448

Very beautiful Croatian Motorways
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #76
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

take a look at this:

http://www.hac.hr/brosure/monografij...lMagazine.html

This is the electronic version of the BOOK presenting the croatian highway network.

more than 400 pages full of high quality aerial photos.

(and I have a free copy of THE BOOK... :-)))
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #77
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In this forum you cannot upload photos, you can only LINK photos from another site.
So you have to upload your photo to a website.
(which can be your own site or a free photo share site)
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #78
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

This is one of my favourites of my photos:

A9 near Sion, Switzerland
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #79
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

The best I have driven:

A8 close to Ribadesella (Asturias, Spain).
The sea is right on the left, and there are pretty high mountains on the right.

by adcava

by adcava

A45 near Granada.
The views of Sierra Nevada are stunning.

from Flickr

AP66 between Asturias and León.
High motorway, mountains, lots of tunnels and even a impressive reservoir.

from Flickr

from Flickr

Last edited by Stifler; March 28th, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Stifler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #80
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
take a look at this:

http://www.hac.hr/brosure/monografij...lMagazine.html

This is the electronic version of the BOOK presenting the croatian highway network.

more than 400 pages full of high quality aerial photos.

(and I have a free copy of THE BOOK... :-)))
Thank you for the link, I added some photos from it to my first post!
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote