daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #21
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Indian cricket hero Yuvraj Singh is ‘on top of The World’ after award win

Dubai, 14 September, 2008 – Indian cricket star, Yuvraj Singh, has visited The World, a collection of islands off the coast of Dubai and planted an Indian flag on the ‘India’ island. Singh was visiting this luxury development to celebrate a top cricket award win. Last week, he had been at the glittering LG ICC Awards ceremony in Dubai where he collected the inaugural Twenty20 International Performance of the Year Award for a unique feat in Twenty20 International cricket. Last year he stunned the world when he hit six consecutive sixes for India off England’s Stuart Broad in the ICC World Twenty20 in South Africa.

The ICC Awards are now in their fifth year and this is the first time the event has been held in Dubai. Yuvraj Singh was selected for his award by a panel of some of the greats of the game.

The private and resort islands are sold by invitation only to chosen individuals who will leave their legacy with this epic development and want to own one of the most desirable and exclusive addresses on the planet. The World has been built by Nakheel, a Dubai World company and one of the world’s largest and most innovative real estate developers. The development was originally revealed in 2003, when His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, announced a global landmark - 300 hundred islands reclaimed from the sea in the shape of the world map.

From 2010 more than 40 luxury resorts will start to open. Different world class brands and names will offer fine dining, spas and luxury boutiques, idyllic vacation homes, spectacular marina, yacht and beach clubs and scuba diving, snorkeling and dive centres.

Nakheel recently revealed that 90 per cent of islands on The World have been sold.

[IMG]http://i37.************/14vsao9.jpg[/IMG]

(Nakheel)
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #22
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

thanks for funkybusiness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybusiness View Post
cool view

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #23
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
Pangkor Laut luxury resort in Dubai

DUBAI: A group of companies is developing another Pangkor Laut Luxury Resort, Residence & Spa Village on the prestigious "The World" development, taking shape four kilometres off the Jumeirah coastline of Dubai.

Potential investors and the media had a glimpse of what is on offer as the luxury resort being developed by City-D Development, together with its partners, was unveiled recently.

The project is modelled after the award-winning Pangkor Laut Resort in Malaysia which is managed by YTL Hotels & Properties.

Designed by architect and engineering firm, Agostine and Raphael Group, the resorts development, fit-out and designers included Bang & Olufsen, Bagnaresi and ABB. The Pangkor Laut Resort in Malaysia, managed by YTL Hotels and Properties, will also incorporate their own ideas to the resort.

According to a statement, the Pangkor Laut Luxury Resort, Residence & Spa Village is being built on a 1.6 million sq ft island plot in the heart of The World.

The resort component offers 120 deluxe guest rooms, 20 fully-equipped luxury beachfront villas, shopping gallery, restaurants, aquapark and what is said to be a first for Dubai - an underwater nightclub.

The residential component under the Pangkor Laut Luxury Residence & Spa Village will offer 92 apartments, 20 attached beach villas with private pools and 28 independent luxury villas with private marinas.

Residents will be able to enjoy various facilities such as the community club, spa village and gourmet food boutique.

"Pangkor Laut will offer investors and guests a unique opportunity to experience island lifestyle on one of the most iconic projects on the planet," said Sofia Zigangirova, chief executive officer of Stars Dome Realty, the real estate agent for the project.

Pangkor Laut

An ideally holiday for family, fun and leisure time, the 153,818 square meter complex, Pangkor Laut is a community that includes everlasting moments of relaxation, in an environment constantly celebrating hospitality, vacationing and easy living.

Sight of luxurious hotel, surrounded by lavish villas, both harmoniously composed towards the Arabian Gulf as well as to the marina, the Hotel and its attached villas are customized in modern fashion to meet a large array of taste.

Facing the hotel, another attraction stands proudly. The services apartments, the penthouses and the surrounding charming services villas also offer some of the best views of the marina and to the sea.

Their community center for gathering is also at close proximity and caters for their daily needs. Sailing through the marina, an elegant structure stands as stands as gateway into the heart of the complex, bridging the hotel to the service apartments. Finally, connected together through pedestrian and walkways, the five islands are also home of luxurious bay-view residential villas designed to cater for a prestigious lifestyle beyond imagination.

Quite the opposite of the majority of spas today that focus on individual therapies, this one is designed to celebrate communal healing & treatment.

Here without doubt, water is the key element; it sculpts its way through the complex in a straight line towards the reception area and creates another ring of water in the core of the structure that provides the space of communal healing and medical ceremony.

Pangkor Laut Luxury Hotel
Indulge yourself in a sanctuary of supreme lifestyle in the middle of the sea. An exclusive hotel awaits you, to tame your senses and relax your nerves.

Stretching out onto the crystal blue sea and the clear sky, it also provides you with an extended view of both the sea and the marina, wherever you are.

Pangkor Laut development will contain 8 restaurants and bars.

Four of them in the hotel and residence premises and 3 in the entertainment complex which can accommodate more than 3,000 guests in 24/7 operation.

The unique under water night club will be one of the landmarks in the World Islands.
http://www.pangkor-laut.com/
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #24
Simulate

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
thanks for funkybusiness:
OK. WTF is with the Australian island placements. I know its not meant to be super accurate but come on, its like the developers are just picking names of places they are vaguely aware of that exist in Australia and assigning them to islands.
Simulate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #25
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simulate View Post
... are just picking names of places they are vaguely aware of that exist in Australia and assigning them to islands.
That is exactly what they are doing, and i'm surprised it shocks or offends anyone.
EDIT: I suppose it would be a bit better if New Zealands north island was above it's south one rather than the other way round but still

What is more of a worry for me is the way the project is looking less and less like the world on every render. It has gone from a collection of small round islands to a mismatch of varying shaped and sized islands which no longer look anything like the world we live in. Very dissapointing really, I like this idea from the outset but i am gradually going off it as the months pass.

I mean the middle east is twice the size of europe, Asia looks like a giant archipelego, mauritius and the maldives are bigger than the whole of india, the islands towards the north of canada look like a giant disease. Honestly when I look at that masterplan I find it nearly impossible to make out the world any more, very dissapointing!

Last edited by nezzybaby; September 18th, 2008 at 06:09 PM.
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #26
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

all i want is 1 island! pleeeaassseee! I'l even take Molokai!
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #27
Burden

WTF is with Darwin???? Random....
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #28
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4206

They could have at least tried to get the names right. There is everything wrong in Australia. The worst is Papua New Guinea south of Australia.
And Galapagos south of Easter island? WTF

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Last edited by goschio; September 20th, 2008 at 10:50 AM.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM   #29
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

Yeah, and Singapore should be south of Malaysia, not next to Shanghai

But I would love to have Taiwan or Thailand.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM   #30
Wolle
Zehlendorf Mobster

Likes (Received): 1

lol...what's up with Georgia??

It is located between Iran and Iraq...

Anyway, I like this project.
If I had the money...

Edit: Ok, ok, "Georgia", former USSR...I forgot about that.
wrong place anyway..
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM   #31
Indictable

Likes (Received): 62

What a name, Georgia
Indictable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM   #32
Indictable

Likes (Received): 62

What the hell is wrong with Australia and new Zealand? like, Queensland where South Aussie should be?? the company didn't do well in school geography!
Indictable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #33
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

Notice how North Island (NZ) is south of the South Island.
Anberlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #34
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

.... and Papua New Guinea is exactly where Tasmania should be.

Does anyone know where this map came from? I hope it was not an official map by Nakheel.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #35
panpanapple
BANNED

panpanapple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #36
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

thats all pretty gross looking
do we have any earlier renders?
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #37
Nikimathew

Investments

Investors have the full backing of Dubai World, one of the largest holding companies in the world as its ultimate parent holding company. Investors can expect high returns on their investments. Investment risks are also mitigated significantly by a widely-diversified investment portfolio that stretches across many geographies and industries.

------------------
Nikimathew
consumer generated media
Nikimathew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #38
Cristov„o471

Likes (Received): 12

lol at Australia, completely wrong geography.
Cristov„o471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #39
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

who cares, the project was never planned to be an exact copy of our world
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #40
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
who cares, the project was never planned to be an exact copy of our world
Sorry, but its not just a little inaccurate, its completely wrong. Its not very difficult to look at a map and get the names at least roughly right.

Its like installing a company logo on a billion EUR skyscraper with the wrong spelling.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote