daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2008, 11:41 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17804

2008 Pritzker Architecture Prize

Guthrie designer Nouvel wins Pritzker, highest architecture honor
30 March 2008

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jean Nouvel, the French architect whose hyper-modern buildings have been acclaimed for their eclectic nature and departure from tradition, has won the 2008 Pritzker Architecture Prize, it was announced Sunday.

Nouvel joins Frank Gehry, Tadao Ando and I.M. Pei in receiving the top honor in the field in recognition of his high-rises, museums and performance halls around the world.

"I think they understood very well that I fight for specific architecture against generic architecture," Nouvel said by phone from his office in Paris. "Every project is an adventure."

Nouvel, 62, became the second Pritzker laureate to be chosen from France after Christian de Portzamparc, the 1994 recipient.

A formal ceremony will be held in June at the Library of Congress in Washington. Nouvel will receive a $100,000 grant and a bronze medallion.

The Pritzker jury of architects, critics, academics and others praised Nouvel for his "persistence, imagination, exuberance, and, above all, an insatiable urge for creative experimentation."

Nouvel said his structures reflect time, place and occupants rather than simply adhering to stylistic dogma or historical precedent.

"I think every site, every program, has a right to a specific work, to a complete involvement of the architect," he said. "I am always researching the missing piece of the puzzle, and I like to analyze the site and conditions and give my answer after."

Among the 200 projects singled out by the Pritzker jury were Arab World Institute in Paris, which is festooned with motor-controlled apertures to control natural light, and Guthrie Theater, a boxy structure in Minneapolis with exterior screens that show scenes from past performances at the storied playhouse.

Currently planned by Nouvel are a tower alongside New York's Museum of Modern Art that cuts a jagged profile to a height comparable to the Chrysler Building, and a narrow condo building dubbed the "Green Blade" in the Century City area of Los Angeles with verdant gardens visible behind its glass walls.

"He is an architect who is really always pushing the envelope, whose work is uneven -- all of us agree on that -- but his successes are so spectacular," said architectural historian and author Victoria Newhouse, a Pritzker juror.

University of Southern California architecture school dean Qingyun Ma said he was surprised to see the award go to Nouvel because the French architect completed his signature works so long ago.

He said he expected the Pritzker jurors to select a younger, lesser known architect whom the prize could promote to a wider audience.

But he said Nouvel was deserving of the award because of his achievements as an architect and his penchant for constantly reinventing himself stylistically.

"It's a good surprise," Ma said. "He has been leading the field for quite a while."

Nouvel was born and grew up in southwest France. He became a movie fan early in life and still takes architectural inspiration from film, comparing an unfolding story to the way he wants people to experience moving through his buildings.

As a teenager, he wanted to be an artist but agreed to pursue a career as an architect as a compromise with his parents, who feared he wouldn't be able to make a living in the visual arts.

After an early career that included directing the Paris Biennale arts exhibition, Nouvel found some of his earliest acclaim with his Arab World Institute, a research and study center that the Pritzker jurors praised for its "modern twist on traditional Arabic latticework."

Commissions followed in more than two dozen countries on five continents, placing Nouvel among jet-setting "starchitects" in demand for high-profile projects around the world.

Nouvel said he begins each project by clearing his mind of his previous work and conceptualizing based on the cultural and environmental forces at work around the building site.

"Architecture is always linked to the surrounding culture," he said. "I've always said architecture is the petrification of a cultural moment."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM   #2
archi77

Likes (Received): 0

You can see detailed look at Jean Nouvel's work ( 10 buildings ) on arcspace. follow the link on this page:

http://www.3d-rendering-studio.us/ar...ural-news.html
archi77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Congrats Jean Nouvel
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1022

Here's some shots of the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, with its unique 178-foot, 2-story cantilever:

Old April 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #5
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

looks great, i really like the color
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Pritzker Prize winner Jean Nouvel on his battle to reshape a world of cities that all look the same.
7 April 2008
Newsweek International

Jean Nouvel, 62, is the 2008 winner of the Pritzker Architecture Prize, only the second French designer honored in the 30-year history of the award. The Pritzker jury cited Nouvel’s “persistence, imagination, exuberance and, above all, an insatiable urge for creative experimentation.” His buildings include the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the Musée du Quai Branly in Paris (both opened in 2006) and future designs for La Philharmonie de Paris, the Tour de Verre in New York and the Louvre Abu Dhabi. He spoke to NEWSWEEK’s Cathleen McGuigan. Excerpts:

NEWSWEEK: Congratulations. You don’t have a signature style; each project is unique. Tell me about your philosophy of design.

Nouvel: When I began to study architecture in the ’60s, I was shocked because I saw a lot of buildings that were similar all around the world, in the international style [modernism]. They were not linked to the different cities or to different geographic climates. So very early I had a strong idea about the relationship between architecture and the situation of the architecture. With the evolution of the world in the last 40 years, I think it’s worse, worse and worse. When you go around the world, all the cities are the same. So I always work on the question of identity—linking the architecture to the cultural identity of the city, the climate, the vegetation, as well as to poetic and historical things. For these reasons, my buildings generally never use the same vocabulary, the same colors or the same materials. But, of course, I have some permanent values, such as the epoch, the time we are living today. Architecture is a petrification of a moment of culture. That is my definition of architecture.

You’ve built many projects in Europe but now you’re also designing in the Middle East.

Yes, I am working on the Louvre Abu Dhabi, and it is really a very good situation. It is part of a cultural neighborhood, on an island, along with projects by Frank Gehry, who is doing the Guggenheim there, and also projects by Zaha Hadid and Tadao Ando.

What kind of inspiration do you take from the geography and climate in Abu Dhabi?

I began to create a microclimate, to cover a large area [with an immense canopy], with the water, the sea, coming in, and the landscape. Then there are a lot of white buildings. For me, a museum is part of a city—the art should be part of a city—not just a building with an entrance that you go through, but open. It’s important that you can go to the bar or the restaurant, or the promenade—and not have to pay to enter.

The idea of public space is an idea we’re losing in cities. Here you’re building in the Middle East where the climate is so hot it is difficult to go outside.

For this reason, I am creating a strong landscape with trees, and creating this cover, with great shadows above the building. Also you have the freshness of the water—it’s an island on the sea—and the microclimate.

When you think about your buildings in other parts of the world, do you also think about the public space?

Of course, the public space is part of the initial strategy. For example, in Lucerne, when I created the concert hall [which opened in 2000] and the Museum of Contemporary Art [which opened in 2002], I began to create a covered square because in Lucerne, it is snowy and rainy. The covered square was the beginning of a very popular place because it is comfortable there.

In every place I try to do that. In the Quai Branly museum, I created a public park and put the museum in the middle. If you look at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, I created a strong link with the park along the Mississippi River and the view of the waterfalls—and with a public terrace and the restaurant. It’s very important to create a desire for the inhabitants of the city to go to a place like that and enjoy it.

Clearly, you were inspired by the Mississippi. When we spoke at the time the Guthrie opened, I asked if you knew the song, “Old Man River,” and you immediately began to sing it!

(Laughs)

You’re very busy these days. What about the 75-story tower, the Tour de Verre, you’re building next to the Museum of Modern Art in New York?

I am very excited by that. Manhattan is a vertical city and to create the spirit of the skyscraper there is to put another piece in a historical city. It is a dream project for an architect.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #7
Sbz2ifc

Likes (Received): 29

La Philharmonie de Paris

Old April 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Top French architect unveils latest creation

MADRID, April 5, 2008 (AFP) - French architect Jean Nouvel, winner of the 2008 Pritzker Prize, the world's top architecture award, on Saturday unveiled his latest creation, a colourful public park in the Spanish city of Barcelona.

The 5.5 hectare (13.6 acre) city garden, a riot of palm trees, cactus, bougainvillea and other Mediterranean vegetation, was conceived as a new "green lung" for the capital of Catalonia, and a haven of calm and quiet away from city noises.

A special feature is a system devised to economise in use of water for irrigation, important to a community currently facing drought and serious water shortages. The system involves water storage, treatment and carefully rationed sprinkling techniques.

It was announced last Sunday that Nouvel, 62, had won the highly prestigious Pritzker Prize, sometimes described as the "Nobel Prize of Architecture," which includes a 100,000-dollar grant.

It will be presented at a ceremony in Washington on June 2, the Los Angeles-based Hyatt Foundation announced.

Foundation chairman Thomas Pritzker said the jury had rewarded Nouvel's "courageous pursuit of new ideas and his challenge of accepted norms in order to stretch the boundaries of the field."

Nouvel is best known as the architect of the Arab World Institute in Paris, which opened in 1987 after being commissioned by former French President Francois Mitterand.

He has designed projects all over the world, including Japan, Spain, England, the Netherlands, Austria, Italy, the Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium and the United States.