daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

DUBAI | Marina Sky Towers | 60 fl x 2 | Canceled

Contractors invited to prequalify for 100-storey towers at Dubai Marina

http://www.meed.com/news/2008/03/con...ai_marina.html

Selected contractors have been invited to prequalify for the estimated $1bn Marina Sky Towers development at Dubai Marina.

The high-rise project involves the construction of three high-rise towers sitting on a common 14-floor podium with three-basement levels. Two towers will be residential, the first will be 100-storeys with a built-up area of about 204,000 square metres, and the second will be 90-storeys with a built-up area of 184,000 square metres. The third tower will be an office building with 100 storeys and a total built-up area of 204,000 square metres.

The project is still in the design stages, and an award for the contract to build the project is expected by the end of this year.

Paris-based Coteba is the project manager. The client is Das Holding.

Das Holding (Client): http://www.dasholding.ae/en/informations.aspx?id=1
Coteba (Project Manager): http://www.coteba.com/
Sales Agent: www.bhomes.com

Map:

2,3 & 4

Possible Render:

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Great news.

The one thing I dont get is why they want to build 100 stories of office space in the marina?

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM   #3
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

Good news, I am just not sure about the design. Too generic for crazy Dubai. Looks good.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Stephan23
Bonsai

And why such a design at Dubai Marina???

No April joke btw!!!
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:26 PM   #5
ARGYRO
The Edge of Universe

Likes (Received): 117

wow ... very nice buildings !! ...
ARGYRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

I like the design BTW, hope it gets approved.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Stephan23
Bonsai

It's for the unnamed emaar plot in front ot The Torch. They defenetly will build this 3 towers there!!

Design?? Not sure!!
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM   #8
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

that possible render looks quite good already but i've my doubts they'll use it....wouldn't fit between all the Arabic-style towers
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Stephan23
Bonsai

Yes, said it in the UAE section. Would be better for the Business Bay!!!
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Stephan23
Bonsai

double!!!
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM   #11
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13251

i think the most important thing is they can do them... the design is good and they are really tall
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM   #12
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

IMO the design is not that bad but it doesn't fit the style of the marina. Still cool though.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM   #13
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

http://www.marinaskytowers.com/

Marina Sky Towers launched recently consists of 3 major towers, each near or above 100 floors, sat on a 14 storey car park plinth.

Is it fair to say that it does not fit in well with it's surroundings, creating imbalance with the surrounding tower layouts and is far to imposing to position right on the edge of the marina walk way?

It would seem a some what bad decision to approve this project and will likely cause significant infrastructure problems around the marina area of Dubai.

Many existing residents of Dubai marina are seriously affected by this proposal and worried about just how such a decision was passed at the highest levels?

Is Dubai marina out of control from a management perspective, lacking planning regulation controls and has become almost a free for all - anything goes situation?

You have to wonder, don't you?

[IMG]http://i27.************/348hlqr.jpg[/IMG]

The aesthetics of Marina Sky Towers will not add to the beauty of the Marina but will be an ugly intrusion into what is currently an area of architectural splendour. The sheer size and mass of the proposed structures will not blend into the existing cityscape and will not fit well with the surrounding architecture. It will not compliment landmark developments such as the original Phase 1 complex and the surrounding towers. The height and scale of the proposal, in particular it's oversized podium will be totally overbearing to the area and will not make residents or visitors feel at ease with their surroundings, let alone enjoy the waterfront lifestyle. Furthermore the traffic and logistical problems that this will introduce into what is already an overcrowded area will be disastrous for the Marina. The increased volume of traffic generated by towers of this height and volume will make it near impossible to move freely around this already crowded end of the Marina.

The project has currently been delayed until September 08 with rumours of a change to 2 office towers and 1 residential tower in order to be able to sell out the units of this horrific project.

Marina Sky Towers is the most hated project in Dubai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DUBAI GUYS View Post
how will the roads cope with ppl in that 100f office and 100F and 90F residential towers with those small roads in that area?? this is just silly...height limits HAVE to be put in place not for flight paths...but for the infrastucture!

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor View Post
Emaar will not only ruin their own Phase I development but will have every customer that bought land from them in this area complaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.U.S. arch. Student View Post
putrid podium, lack of imagination in design, density is insane btw the buildings, what a waste of such prime property.
And why the hell is there a road facing the marina!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot68 View Post
Really ugly development regardless where it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharry1 View Post
My God! I just saw the prospected towers! This is really a nightmare for the marina...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor View Post
I think Emaar's reputation will be irreparably harmed if they permit this monstrosity to go ahead.

Marina Walk & Phase I = ruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-King View Post
It is ways to high for this area of the marina and much to dense, would look terrible within the marina, maybe they should relocate it to somewhere else, maybe Dubai Waterfront!
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Times View Post
Whoever made the decision to say "yes this can be built here" has no vision whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
The podium is utterly hideous. If I had a berth in front of that thing I'd severly annoyed with a huge shadow and 4 lanes of traffic just yards away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharry1 View Post
Projects like that make Dubai more and more totally unattraticve.

And they are ruining the "oldest" part of the Marina which could have been a nice and unique place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
I can't believe that the authorities are this stupid. It has disaster written all over it.

The location of the plot deserves an iconic building.
The sheer size means that there will be no blending with the surrounding buildings.
There will be gridlock due to the traffic.
The contruction noise will please no one in the surounding buildings.

So for me the blame goes on the people who approved this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybonita View Post
Stupid project in wrong location ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIPUS View Post
Terrible project. It will ruin all the tallest block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz UK View Post
If we all join forces and stand behind it when its built, we'll hopefully be able to push it into the Marina. This project is ugly and stupid. And no one in their right mind would ever need 14 stories of podium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
I was considering buying another apartment in the marina but don't think I'll bother now that marina walk will be ruined. Cannot get over how hideous that podium is and the 4 lanes right next to the marina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjam View Post
One day Channel 5 will make a program called "Top 50 Design Blunders" and this will be right up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
I recon this was designed by the developers themselves as opposed to hiring architects.

Since the whole complex is butt ugly people will want to leave asap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetorch View Post
This is a totally ugly idea that will completely ruin this side of the marina, completely over load already breaking capacities of infrastructure and so be strongly fought from going ahead, to the highest levels within Dubai.

This is estate mis-management of the highest order and all current residents and owners of apartments in this area should be forming a legal action case rejecting this project as being totally out of keeping and likely to cause severe infrastructure problems for existing residents.

Seriously hacked off with the whole episode and has ruined all plans to live over there permanently.

I so regret buying anything in Dubai and never would again. This sort of decision is going to start a selling spree within the marina area, as clearly, EMAAR don't have a f'ing clue what they are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaro View Post
Nasty podium, total eye-sore... Was expecting something more iconic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavekris View Post
Even though i dont have any investment in marina. I too have sent a message to Highness. can every one do the same please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_life View Post
Very Bad idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by joobn View Post
those towers are fugly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryearch View Post
Having worked on this project before it became Marina Sky Towers, I am quite disappointed with the current proposal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushila9 View Post
The PROPOSED project will ruin the intention Emaar had for Marina Walk.

Whatever, we must do whatever it takes to save the Marina. If they ruined the Palm, the Marina is a joke....as the architects digest has claimed that Dubai is an architectural MESS! Hence this project conforms it! GREED AND DODGY DEVELOPERS IS ALL THAT MATTERS IN DUBAI THESE DAYS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
This plot has so much potential to make the tallest block something really nice and peaceful instaed of building tall towers. You can´t enhance live quality with just tall buildings.

I really hope for all tallest block residents that this get cancelled.........
Quote:
This eye-sore of a project will ruin the phase 1 area of Dubai Marina.
Quote:
This is the wrong location for such towers. The podium is far too tall destroying the marina lifestyle.
Quote:
The podium of the towers is just way too big.
Quote:
This hair-brained, badly-designed project will ruin the entire Marina, not to mention cause all kinds of traffic problems! And Jeez! To the architect - are you freaking blind man??? Your design sucks ass! You should immediately be struck off and incarcerated for your crime!
Quote:
This plot should be used to maximise liveability for all Marina Residents not maximise profits.
Quote:
MST is the perfect way to destroy some of the best land in the marina! Come up with a new design that doesnt suck so much, the podium is horrifying!
Quote:
Totally wrong for this plot, this has got to be moved to a plot that can cope with this size of development, please cancel it and the whole marina will benefit !!!!
Quote:
The Marina and sorrounds were a sign that Dubai and its Plannning Authority had considered the sustainability and beauty of this unique development - this current proposal would see a significant degredation of quality of the area, the overall attractivness and the asthetic quality will suffer - the "New Dubai" tag will be lost forever - at the risk of sounding trite surely a Green Space would offer greater value - for anyone who has lived in HK or any other developing country the value of getting the development foot-print right now will have its rewards in the future - Emaar should display its commitment to sustainable development and promote itself as a true developer of distinction now by recognising this opportunity as one to distinguish itself as a global leader in not only the biggest and most inovative developers in the region but the best -
Quote:
This building is an eyesore and will ruin the marina.
Quote:
I live in Marina Height Tower and I notice that people are always strugling to find a parking in order to enjoy the Marina Walk and all it's facilities. So a good use of this spot will be a parking with some green parts, so it can be a kind of extention of this beautiful project which is the Marina Walk. In my opinion if this project goes on it will take out all the charm of the Marina and make it look like closed area (something like JBR 2), not the open space it is now. So please let the Marina continu being as beautiful as it is now.
Quote:
What an eysore on a beautiful marina.
Quote:
My 20 year experience in Town Planning and my role as an executive in several committee's overseas, warrants my comment that this project in its form will not only ruin Marina Walk but will also display the the greed and power hungry attitude of several developers with no vision. Developers who seem to have higher connections and look for status in tall towers rather then design and suitability of an area and surrounding infrastructure. Dubai Marina was one of the pride developments, for Dubai , but a concrete jungle with bad planning seems to be emerging. Bright lights and tall towers do not make a beautiful place. Dubai is good at listing the biggest and best and tallest and widest etc. Now the new terms of the ugliest, worst and dirtiest etc will emerge in the media. Projects like Marina Sky Towers will be the eye sore in front of what will become MARINA POND! Lack of vision and pure lust for money!
Quote:
This development must not go ahead. It will ruin the entire marina.
Quote:
make better use of the space and use more greenery. the marina needs more green spaces and less concrete jungle.
Quote:
Dubai is in the wonderful position of being able to plan cities from scratch. Simply building higher and higher, closer and closer to satisfy the profit motive of companies whilst creating yet another horrible blot on the landscape is, I am sure, not part of the vision of Sheikh Mohammed.
Quote:
This development will totally ruin the WHOLE Marina area. Completely in the wrong location !
Quote:
This will ruin the marina.
Quote:
Its a prime location that deserves an iconic building. MST is plain ugly. Its size is too big and will give local infrasturcture nightmares.
Quote:
it's disgusting what they are doing, btw i don't live in the area or in the same state but its sick what they are doing.
Quote:
total disregard for the whole area ! complete montrosity
Quote:
This area should be kept for a open space, some where to chill and take in the atmosphere, definitely not for 3 supertall ugly skyscrapers. This surely cant go ahead!!! Do not allow this project to go ahead. give us some greenery instead!
Quote:
This would totally spoil this end of the marina.
Quote:
The continuation of this project would be a disaster for the marina and would go against all previous planning restrictions placed on all other developments in that area - how could this be allowed to happen?
Quote:
This project will, in my opinion, completely ruin the quality of life for many thousands of residents and visitors to Dubai Marina. Please do not allow this to happen.
Quote:
The scale and perspective of Sky Towers would destroy all perspective and line of Marina Walk which has been developing into a well considered head of the Marina. Building on this scale obliterates this concept and a previously great looking area would become a total eyesore. How could any rational and intelligent city planning ever allow this to be approved? Does anyone in Dubai consider the people who have committed to the future and made their lives here? It appears not. Aesthetically, ethically and practically this is a monstrosity. It serves only to benefit developers. Dubai City needs to concentrate on making desirable, well formed and flourishing communities, not creating annonymous faceless ghettos. Time for a serious rethink.
Quote:
This THREE towers would DESTROY the WHOLE marina. So dear authority please don´t approv this towers..THIS MUST BE STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Can anyone remember Spain in the 70's - if you can this Marina is heading the same way.The building of towersmust stop before its to late.If this Monster of a tower is allowed to be build right smack in the front of the Marina then I am sure Dubai will be getting it wrong BIG TIME --
Quote:
it is destroying the marina project...
Quote:
HI,JUST MY VIEWS ON MTS.IF MST IS BUILT AROUND THE A5C, D, & E PLOTS, IT WOULD MOST DEFINATELY DESTROY WHAT HAS BEEN GROWING IN TO A BEAUTIFUL AREA OF THE MARINA. FOR MST TO BE BUILT IN IT'S CURRENT FORM ANYWHERE WOULD RUIN IT'S SURROUNDINGS.IN MY VIEW, THE DESIGN OF MST, IF IT CAN BE DESCRIBED AS A DESIGN, IS 100% ABOUT MAKING MONEY FOR THE OWNER(S) OF THE PLOT(S) AT THE EXPENSE OF THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY PAID PREMIUM PRICES FOR PROMISED VIEWS.
Quote:
These towers would be an abomination if built. They're both unfriendly, out of scale, and a huge eyesore.
Quote:
An absolute disgrace if this gets approved. It will show that EMAAR and HRH "vision of the marina" as a quality living area are well and truely dead, planning control now out of control and the whole marina driven by pure greed, with no consideration for those that have bought into "the dream" that was Dubai Marina.
Quote:
A complete horror of a design.
Quote:
I'm totally agrre with this petition....it's a wrong project in a wrong place!
Quote:
I cannot believe that this ghastly tower may be built in Dubai Marina. It will,without doubt, spoil the Marina and surely will go down in history as being one of the most ugliest buildings ever built. Keep signing the petition. we must do everything we can to stop this monstrosity.
Quote:
Will seriously harm the Marina Walk and North end of the Marina. Towers are too large to put three of them in that space while maintaining smooth logistics, traffic, and aesthetics.
Quote:
Comments: Speaking as an architect from Hong Kong-The country needs to safe guard the asthetics of the marina area, this building is outrageous, instead a park or marina themed-low rise building should be adopted.
Please sign the petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/marinaskytowers/

Last edited by Dubai_Steve; January 9th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM   #14
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Just to let everyone know, I found this render on a random cgi artists forum. The person who posted it just said "tower in Dubai", that's it. It might not even be a render for a real project but some student project or something.
The towers are real though, as they're in the news article.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM   #15
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10141

they look ok. probably suit the marina.
i reckon 360m for tallest.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM   #16
Pablitisimo Maximo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

This design is stunning!
Pablitisimo Maximo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:08 AM   #17
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

I love the design.. the Al Fattan marine towers "does not fit" the JBR line either, but they're still great and gives the whole area a better feel. Just like these will (if built like this)
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:30 AM   #18
Phobos

Too massive.Looks like those residential buildings in HK,with a better facade.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:36 AM   #19
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

I agree, too massive, gives the closed in feel of a brick wall. Would prefer sleeker, less bulky towers.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:16 AM   #20
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

I got yesterday:

Dear Mr. Imre

The development launch has been delayed till mid-end of April.

I will keep you informed for any details

Thank you for your patience

Best Regards
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai