daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #101
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

They should change the design and the number of floors this towers are definately toooooooooooooo tall for this plot.........it would look so unbalanced....IMO everything above 35-40 floors is way toooo high for this plot......
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #102
fettekatz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Steve View Post
At a minimum, they need to reduce the podium size and remove one tower or make them much thinner with less units to allow some light through. Too many units here packed in for maximum greed and disregard for the area.
you talk as if aesthetics ever have influenced the constructions there . Let's face it, there many stunning towers, but the overall planning of Dubai is horrible
fettekatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #103
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

As if you have ever been here to experience it.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #104
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
They should change the design and the number of floors this towers are definately toooooooooooooo tall for this plot.........it would look so unbalanced....IMO everything above 35-40 floors is way toooo high for this plot......
I agree they are to tall, to dense and have a terrible podium, but 35 - 40 floors????? Pleeeeeease ....
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #105
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM   #106
LeMoN-SK
Regular Fool

Likes (Received): 81

I am not against this height eventhought 90-100 fl would look better in my eyes. But the main problem IMO is the concentration of the mass and the tall podium, that is really horrible.
LeMoN-SK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM   #107
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

agree, that's the only problem for me too

i mean...come on ( originally posted by Dubai-Steve, UAE Section ):

[IMG]http://i31.************/2gvuel3.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM   #108
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

The problem for me is the podium, the destruction of the area and not wide enough gaps between the towers to let light through to any of the other towers. It takes away from the area and does not add to it. The height is not the issue. Also they made sure the towers go right to the edge of the podiums, they could have shifted them a little with regard to the towers behind. Karma will come back to these guys in the end. So much more could have been done here with the design to enhance the area in general.
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #109
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

A truely depressing site.

This project must be stopped at ANY cost!

Do NOT invest in this project.
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #110
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

OMG! Thats horrible. That shouldnt be built in Dubai Marina.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #111
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

http://www.marinaskytowers.com/

Marina Sky Towers launched recently consists of 3 major towers, each near or above 100 floors, sat on a 14 storey car park plinth.

Is it fair to say that it does not fit in well with it's surroundings, creating imbalance with the surrounding tower layouts and is far to imposing to position right on the edge of the marina walk way?

It would seem a some what bad decision to approve this project and will likely cause significant infrastructure problems around the marina area of Dubai.

Many existing residents of Dubai marina are seriously affected by this proposal and worried about just how such a decision was passed at the highest levels?

Is Dubai marina out of control from a management perspective, lacking planning regulation controls and has become almost a free for all - anything goes situation?

You have to wonder, don't you?

[IMG]http://i27.************/348hlqr.jpg[/IMG]

The aesthetics of Marina Sky Towers will not add to the beauty of the Marina but will be an ugly intrusion into what is currently an area of architectural splendour. The sheer size and mass of the proposed structures will not blend into the existing cityscape and will not fit well with the surrounding architecture. It will not compliment landmark developments such as the original Phase 1 complex and the surrounding towers. The height and scale of the proposal, in particular it's oversized podium will be totally overbearing to the area and will not make residents or visitors feel at ease with their surroundings, let alone enjoy the waterfront lifestyle. Furthermore the traffic and logistical problems that this will introduce into what is already an overcrowded area will be disastrous for the Marina. The increased volume of traffic generated by towers of this height and volume will make it near impossible to move freely around this already crowded end of the Marina.

The project has currently been delayed until September 08

There is currently a massive objection to this project with 12,000+ signatures on a petition against the development.

The Marina Sky Towers is the most hated project in Dubai.

Last edited by Dubai_Steve; June 14th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old June 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #112
RubenT

Likes (Received): 232

Save the Marina! This buildings are way too bulky. Especially with the modium beneath them.
RubenT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #113
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

That podium base goes right to the edge without setback! Where's any kind of integration into the marina here?! I mean the towers look decent on their own but IMO like others have said, are far too tall and large for a comforting sense to such an important edge. Anyone who turns their boat into the marina will see these huge "brick walls" in front of them. A unique and powerful building? Certainly. On the EDGE of a marina? Definitely not the right spot I feel. If I can find that petition, it's as good as signed. Did the architects for this one even take a moment to look at the ground plane and scope of this thing on people's perception, let alone how it affects the whole marina area? Doesn't look like it.

Looks like they're just trying to maximize rent and office / floorspace for profit.

*Edit - Crazyevildude, people once tried that in Detroit; to build a great revitalizing center to the city and yet, blocked it off by concrete and highways. Not saying the Renaissance Center is horrible on it's own but I know it wasn't a well accepted project because all the concrete alienated people rather than embraced them. Since GM's moved in though, they've torn down the walls to the plaza and rebuilt a lot of the area to make it better... These towers feel like they are doing the same - to make something neat but completely remove any beauty and human element from the project and seperating any streetlife with highways and concrete.

Malec's renders look sweet but this definitely feels like the center of some kind of office block or something in Hong Kong. If they had to design something so lifeless (ie. powerful looking), even *that* is somewhat understandable but this is not the location for it, period.

Last edited by The-Real-Link; June 14th, 2008 at 09:08 PM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #114
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

I think it would look nice if only the base were being built IMO
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #115
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

the base is way too big, even alone..without towers
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #116
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Shit, nothing more than shit! What a type of ugly, bulky en way to massive building is that! The poduim swells up the rest of the area. They destroy the open space.

Very bad
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #117
CMack
///M

Likes (Received): 2

Everyone is getting all enraged, but for the wrong reason. Dubai_Steve keeps spamming his self-made/amateur "renders" & "mockups" of these towers that most likely don't reflect the actual size, or massing - only that can be determined from actual final plans, drawings, and renderings from the professional architectural firm in charge of the project, along with the developer.

Until then, making judgment one way or another based on what someone who is clearly against the towers' construction is just wrong. Don't be so easily misled without the final facts from the professionals. I'm not going to repost it, you can see above in post #109 - the "rendering" is so inaccurate, not to scale, unbalanced, etc. Terribly misleading, especially when presented as a fact or an actuality as has been done by Dubai_Steve. I understand you don't like the towers but don't mislead others just to further your cause.
CMack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #118
olsib
>

Likes (Received): 1673

Well... at least the shadow is clearly out of scale!

olsib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #119
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

The tower's are shown at the correct scale.

Model.

This tower does not belong on the marinas edge!

Scale comparison to the ex twin towers:

Old June 15th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #120
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DUBAI GUYS View Post
how will the roads cope with ppl in that 100f office and 100F and 90F residential towers with those small roads in that area?? this is just silly...height limits HAVE to be put in place not for flight paths...but for the infrastucture!

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor View Post
Emaar will not only ruin their own Phase I development but will have every customer that bought land from them in this area complaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.U.S. arch. Student View Post
putrid podium, lack of imagination in design, density is insane btw the buildings, what a waste of such prime property.
And why the hell is there a road facing the marina!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot68 View Post
Really ugly development regardless where it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharry1 View Post
My God! I just saw the prospected towers! This is really a nightmare for the marina...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor View Post
I think Emaar's reputation will be irreparably harmed if they permit this monstrosity to go ahead.

Marina Walk & Phase I = ruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-King View Post
It is ways to high for this area of the marina and much to dense, would look terrible within the marina, maybe they should relocate it to somewhere else, maybe Dubai Waterfront!
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Times View Post
Whoever made the decision to say "yes this can be built here" has no vision whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
The podium is utterly hideous. If I had a berth in front of that thing I'd severly annoyed with a huge shadow and 4 lanes of traffic just yards away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharry1 View Post
Projects like that make Dubai more and more totally unattraticve.

And they are ruining the "oldest" part of the Marina which could have been a nice and unique place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
I can't believe that the authorities are this stupid. It has disaster written all over it.

The location of the plot deserves an iconic building.
The sheer size means that there will be no blending with the surrounding buildings.
There will be gridlock due to the traffic.
The contruction noise will please no one in the surounding buildings.

So for me the blame goes on the people who approved this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybonita View Post
Stupid project in wrong location ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIPUS View Post
Terrible project. It will ruin all the tallest block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz UK View Post
If we all join forces and stand behind it when its built, we'll hopefully be able to push it into the Marina. This project is ugly and stupid. And no one in their right mind would ever need 14 stories of podium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
I was considering buying another apartment in the marina but don't think I'll bother now that marina walk will be ruined. Cannot get over how hideous that podium is and the 4 lanes right next to the marina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjam View Post
One day Channel 5 will make a program called "Top 50 Design Blunders" and this will be right up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
I recon this was designed by the developers themselves as opposed to hiring architects.

Since the whole complex is butt ugly people will want to leave asap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetorch View Post
This is a totally ugly idea that will completely ruin this side of the marina, completely over load already breaking capacities of infrastructure and so be strongly fought from going ahead, to the highest levels within Dubai.

This is estate mis-management of the highest order and all current residents and owners of apartments in this area should be forming a legal action case rejecting this project as being totally out of keeping and likely to cause severe infrastructure problems for existing residents.

Seriously hacked off with the whole episode and has ruined all plans to live over there permanently.

I so regret buying anything in Dubai and never would again. This sort of decision is going to start a selling spree within the marina area, as clearly, EMAAR don't have a f'ing clue what they are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaro View Post
Nasty podium, total eye-sore... Was expecting something more iconic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavekris View Post
Even though i dont have any investment in marina. I too have sent a message to Highness. can every one do the same please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_life View Post
Very Bad idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by joobn View Post
those towers are fugly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryearch View Post
Having worked on this project before it became Marina Sky Towers, I am quite disappointed with the current proposal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushila9 View Post
The PROPOSED project will ruin the intention Emaar had for Marina Walk.

Whatever, we must do whatever it takes to save the Marina. If they ruined the Palm, the Marina is a joke....as the architects digest has claimed that Dubai is an architectural MESS! Hence this project conforms it! GREED AND DODGY DEVELOPERS IS ALL THAT MATTERS IN DUBAI THESE DAYS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
This plot has so much potential to make the tallest block something really nice and peaceful instaed of building tall towers. You canīt enhance live quality with just tall buildings.

I really hope for all tallest block residents that this get cancelled.........

Tags
dubai