daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Hornplayer

Likes (Received): 0

Frankfurt Day & Night.

Took these photos from my hotel room on the 18th floor of the Intercontinental hotel in March 2008. I think Frankfurt has one of the better skylines in Europe. I'm a newbie on this site so please be kind!

Night Shot 1

Night Shot 2

Day Shot 1 - shrouded in cloud (unfortunately)

Day Shot 2 - shrouded in cloud

Day Shot 3 - shrouded in cloud (the tall building on the left in the distance with it's top in the clouds is the MesseTurm)
Hornplayer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #2
fettekatz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Hi... welcome to the forum and thank you for showing us your pictures. I like the night shots...

Yes, Frankfurt is one of the few european cities with a skyscraper skyline... did you take more photos?
fettekatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #3
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Likes (Received): 28

Hey welcome to the Forums and i see you are near me.
Great photo's and very impressed.The one thing i don't like about Frankfurt is the skyscrapers are a fair bit apart.But it makes up for that with the quality of the building's.
timmy- brissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Hornplayer

Hi to you both

Thanks for a nice welcome. I know what you mean about the skyline. Because the skyscrapers are a bit more spaced out it's hard to get them all in one shot unless you're quite a distance away. I took a few more pictures on my mobile but I just need to transfer them onto my laptop! Have also got masses of pictures from previous trips to Australia and Japan, unfortunately they are analogue and would need to scan them in.

Do many other European cities have skylines like this?

Great to find this forum though. have always had an intrest in skylines and skyscrapers and it's great to find so many other people with a similar interest. Unfortunately my home town (Milton Keynes) is seriously lacking in anything resembling a tall building!

I have some work trips coming up this year including a week in China where we'll be visiting Shanghai so can't wait for that one!
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Tililu_shjnh

is it in Germany?!

nice shots!
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #6
MPOWER

Likes (Received): 286

Frankfurt am Main short FFM is the biggest city of Hesse (a state in Germany) with a population of 670.000. And the financal center of Germany the four biggest Banks from Germany are headquarted in FFM ( DeutscheBank, Commerzbank, DZ Bank, Dresdner Bank (Part of Allianz) ) and the German Stock Exchange was located there but it moved to the suburb. Its the wealthiest city in Europe per capita income there are 922 jobs per 1000 inhabitants.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #7
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

Welcome. Like the Frankfurt skyline.
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #8
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornplayer View Post
Hi to you both

Thanks for a nice welcome. I know what you mean about the skyline. Because the skyscrapers are a bit more spaced out it's hard to get them all in one shot unless you're quite a distance away. I took a few more pictures on my mobile but I just need to transfer them onto my laptop! Have also got masses of pictures from previous trips to Australia and Japan, unfortunately they are analogue and would need to scan them in.

Do many other European cities have skylines like this?

Great to find this forum though. have always had an intrest in skylines and skyscrapers and it's great to find so many other people with a similar interest. Unfortunately my home town (Milton Keynes) is seriously lacking in anything resembling a tall building!

I have some work trips coming up this year including a week in China where we'll be visiting Shanghai so can't wait for that one!
I'm from Northampton, so from very close to you and my Mother taught at Sir Frank Markham school in MK so I know the city quite well!

I still say skylines maketh not the city as most of my favourite cities don't have "skyscrapers" as such dotted all over the place, but are much more dense and urban than most of the other "skyscraper cities". I'm much more of a fan of continued height/density rather than simply core height followed by bland suburban sprawl so I tend to prefer European cities as a whole over others around the world. But I guess tall buildings are sometimes nice to see and Frankfurt, in my opinion, has the best skyline of any European city.

Warsaw in Poland also has an impressive array of towers going up, I'd check that out too if I were you if you're looking for another Euro city with a skyline emerging.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Jessy

Likes (Received): 180

von flickr.com user
Jessy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Hornplayer

Hi Svartmetall - It certainly is a small world. I play in the Northampton Symphony Orchestra so know you're home town extremely well. I completely see your point of view. A town or city can have an impressive skyline by the layout and grouping of its buildings and the height is not always so important. However there is something about very tall buildings that appeals. I think it's because I have no head for heights so am amazed at the bravery of the people that build these things. Plus we have so few of them in the UK that there's still a bit of novelty value for me!

Jessy - Wow, amazing photos. Puts mine to shame! I'm back in Frankfurt in a couple of weeks time although working in the outskirts so may not get any good shots.

When the weather improves (snowing today) I'll take and post some pictures of Milton Keynes, my home town. I'm sure many people on this forum aren't aware of it.
Old April 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornplayer View Post
Hi Svartmetall - It certainly is a small world. I play in the Northampton Symphony Orchestra so know you're home town extremely well. I completely see your point of view. A town or city can have an impressive skyline by the layout and grouping of its buildings and the height is not always so important. However there is something about very tall buildings that appeals. I think it's because I have no head for heights so am amazed at the bravery of the people that build these things. Plus we have so few of them in the UK that there's still a bit of novelty value for me!

When the weather improves (snowing today) I'll take and post some pictures of Milton Keynes, my home town. I'm sure many people on this forum aren't aware of it.
Strangely enough I've probably run into you in real life then! If you too play the French Horn as there are not many of us! It's a very small world indeed as I played for the Northampton School for Boys Concert band and had a lot to do with the County orchestra groups! I'd love to see some shots of Milton Keynes again as it's been over 3 years since I was last there. Many don't like it, but I loved Milton Keynes simply due to the Redpath system and the amount of planning that went into the city.

I would again, agree with you in turn in as much as us Brits aren't exposed to skyscrapers in many forms outside of the big cities and so to see a cluster of them is jaw-dropping! I know that my first trip abroad to a country with lots of Skyscrapers, Sydney literally blew my mind! It was the most amazing experience of my life to see this absolute canyon of tall buildings in the Sydney CBD.

Now that I live in a city with quite a few skyscrapers I'm immune to them to a large extent and yearn for European urbinity again over simply having tall buildings present in the city centre of my city (and suburban sprawl elsewhere). But every now and again I see a really nice tower and can still appreciate the beauty of skyscrapers.

I can't wait to see FFM as I've heard it's quite an impressive city to visit too. It's another German city to add to the ever growing list of "I must visit".
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #12
frank hannover

Likes (Received): 25

Welcome Hornplayer , nice shots . Good locations for skyline shots you can find south of the river or east of the Bank district in the pedestrian "Zeil" shopping area from the observations deck from "Zeilgallerie " (mall) like the last shot from Jessy.

You play in a Synphonie orchestra ? Visit sometime Hamburg in Germany . It is a big and great city (must-to-visit-city) , there is currently the Elbphilharmonie ( concert hall) under construction . It combines both , a tall spectacular building ( 110m) that will be a philharmonie
including hotel and condominiums .
frank hannover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #13
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank hannover View Post
Welcome Hornplayer , nice shots . Good locations for skyline shots you can find south of the river or east of the Bank district in the pedestrian "Zeil" shopping area from the observations deck from "Zeilgallerie " (mall) like the last shot from Jessy.

You play in a Synphonie orchestra ? Visit sometime Hamburg in Germany . It is a big and great city (must-to-visit-city) , there is currently the Elbphilharmonie ( concert hall) under construction . It combines both , a tall spectacular building ( 110m) that will be a philharmonie
I'd love to see the new concert hall in Hamburg, but I'll have to wait til Hafencity is finished.

My first stop for music in Germany will of course be to see the Berlin Philharmoniker. As one of the best orchestras in the world, I really can not turn down the opportunity to see them. I've also seen Sir Simon Rattle conduct with the Birmingham Symphony so it'll be good to see his interpretation carried over to the Berlin Philharmoniker. Plus it'd be great to finally see the orchestra that I own so many different recordings of!
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #14
Hornplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank hannover View Post

Hi Frank. Thank you for your kind email. Unfortunately I wasn't a member of this forum when I visited Frankfurt so didn't take as many pictures as I could've done (always tricky anyway when on a working trip), however I will try and get up the observation deck on my next visit. I am actually visiting Hamburg in June (again with work) so will try and check out the construction site and get some good shots. Any other recommendations while I'm there (alhough time will be very short).
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #15
Hornplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I'd love to see the new concert hall in Hamburg, but I'll have to wait til Hafencity is finished.

My first stop for music in Germany will of course be to see the Berlin Philharmoniker. As one of the best orchestras in the world, I really can not turn down the opportunity to see them. I've also seen Sir Simon Rattle conduct with the Birmingham Symphony so it'll be good to see his interpretation carried over to the Berlin Philharmoniker. Plus it'd be great to finally see the orchestra that I own so many different recordings of!
Well it certainly is a small World. I've played in the Cripps Hall in the Northampton School for Boys many times. I studied at the Birmingham Conservatoire and had the privelege of being conducted by Simon Rattle in Symphony Hall, performing Ein Heldenlaben by Strauss. Amazing experience.

Symphony Hall is not the most exciting building on the outside but boy is it impressive once you enter the auditorium. Acoustically it's one of the world's best, shame they couldn't have done something more with the oustside, but I guess money is always an issue with that kind of project!
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #16
Jessy

Likes (Received): 180

Jessy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #17
Hornplayer

Another great picture, thanks Jessy. Makes Frankfurt look a really modern 21st century city!
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #18
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Awesome shots there. I love how the skyscrapers simply rise up from the lowrise moss beneath. Its very dramatic
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #19
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

i love that skyline
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #20
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Not the best weather but nice pics anyways