daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you flash to warn about speed traps?
Yes (even if it's rarely) 130 74.29%
Never 45 25.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #21
Captain Chaos

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Here we flash other peoples to tell them: "Get the f**k out of my way ... LOOSER!"
It's not big or clever.

So many drivers in Dubai are ******* idiots, plain and simple; especially those that flash others to say get out of my way. I had 3 years watching these types of dickheads on Dubai's roads, driving at ridiculously high speeds. Bullying/scaring people out of a lane is nothing but arrogant, dangerous and idiotic. I've never known such a terrible place to drive, there's no wonder there are so many grave accidents there.

Most of Dubai's brain-dead drivers need a truckload of extra brain cells to enable them to learn that driving at excessive speed, tailgating and scaring people off the roads out of impatience kills. That's what always gave me the shits about Dubai and its motorists; no-one has any respect for the value of life. Makes me want to puke.

Back on topic; here in WA, many people flash traffic to warn them of an upcoming camera. I am one of them. Why? Because while I understand the consequences of speeding, as others have said of speed-camera practices in their respective countries, in WA the proliferation of speed cameras are simply used to fatten the State Governments coffers. We never see that money ploughed back into our roads, it just sits there so the politicians can boast about the surplus they've raised come election time and how, if we re-elect them, they will spend it on this, that and the other; but it's never the roads! If they DID use the money to improve roads, I wouldn't have such a problem with it, but that still would do nothing to change the speeding habits of drivers. Moreover, it's the way they and the police try to lead us to believe they do not put cameras everywhere to make money, and by doing so it IS slowing people down. If that's the case, how come they make more and more from fixed and Multinova cameras each year? They must think we were all born yesterday!

The police and politicians argue that using speed-cameras educates drivers and changes their habits. It doesn't. Many can afford the fines. The only way they will stop speeders is to take 6 points off their licence when they get caught. The next time they'll have lost their licence. It's the only way you can make people slow down I think. Teaching people the value of their licence will never be achieved by imposing even hefty monetary fines. Only by jeapordising the continuation of their licence by imposing strict, harsh and severe point punishments will speeders stop and realise that it is a privilege to be able to own a licence to drive.

Last edited by Captain Chaos; April 6th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Captain Chaos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #22
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

another reason why I flash is that when I see a black BMW or Mercedes doing 150(on regular road, NOT highway) I know when he will be fined, he will continue to drive like this again. He can also have some part of his front licence covered(i.e. with a leaf), so speed camera is also usless

I flash also because I'm also not absolutely saintly when driving in Poland, so this helps me to thrive as a driver I was not fined for 4 years now, despite the fact I do drive fast
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #23
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I still never understood the argument about "making money". If people aren't speeding, they won't get ticketed and thus they won't lose money.
in my hometown and around i hate 2 places. first - entrance to city. 2 way straight road. through suburbian places limit is 70 km/h. when you pass the table with name of city, it becomes 50 and forbidden overtaking. and situation is absolutely the same as 7-8 km earlier where road passes through suburbia with no forbidden overtaking and limit 70 km/h. i don't know why they don't put limit 30 km/h in entrance to city centre on the same road if this makes any sense.

second place is in suburbia. road passes through village, but actually beside it. so there are few houses beside road, no intersections, clear visibility. but there is a table with name of that village which signs that you are in inhabited area and limit is 50. favourite place for speed traps. 2 km from that place road enters to really inhabited area of that village and limit is 70. it really doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by x-type; April 6th, 2008 at 09:05 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #24
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

both model examples of how safety is important when making speed traps...
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #25
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Here, local municipal police likes to set speed traps right after the entrance to the city where the speed limit drops from 100 to 50 (in California from 90 to 40). Although, I always slow down myself (can't afford more fines), I still flash to city-bound traffic. What I don't like is when highway patrol hide in a grass median on a 2x2 expressways (motorways) that don't have any bicyclist or pedestrian access outside of the urban areas. I really believe that the above case has nothing to do with the safety.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #26
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
It's not big or clever.

So many drivers in Dubai are ******* idiots, plain and simple; especially those that flash others to say get out of my way. I had 3 years watching these types of dickheads on Dubai's roads, driving at ridiculously high speeds. Bullying/scaring people out of a lane is nothing but arrogant, dangerous and idiotic. I've never known such a terrible place to drive, there's no wonder there are so many grave accidents there.

Most of Dubai's brain-dead drivers need a truckload of extra brain cells to enable them to learn that driving at excessive speed, tailgating and scaring people off the roads out of impatience kills. That's what always gave me the shits about Dubai and its motorists; no-one has any respect for the value of life. Makes me want to puke.
LOL, it was a joke ... I didn't say I do that (well, sometime when an idiot blocks the fast lane, driving slower then the limit and don't go right even that the lane is free and every other attempt to catch their attentions fails)

I have driven safely 180 - 200,000 km in Dubai roads so I know very well what's going on and how to be actively protective against morons.

ON TOPIC: Most of the roads here have separated carriages, even inside cities so it is impossible to warn other drivers even if you want to.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #27
mojaBL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

In Bosnia drivers are flashing very often if not always. Old tradition.
mojaBL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #28
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19377

I also flash in the dark when people have a broken headlight.

But only if there is nobody driving in front of me, otherwise he/she/it can be distracted.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #29
madao

Likes (Received): 210

i see it sometimes in the netherlands

and in morocco every body flashes to each other it helps alot
madao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #30
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4724

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Here we flash other peoples to tell them: "Get the f**k out of my way ... LOOSER!"
I hope it's a joke.
People acting like that should not be allowed to drive any longer.

Flashing can appear a bit old-fashioned but it's still the most efficient system: Citizen Band doesn't work any longer and new GPS-linked systems ("Coyot") need more users to work.
A l'aube du cinquičme jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #31
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

People do that alot here, near to where a police car is parked pratacly every car does that.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #32
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I also flash in the dark when people have a broken headlight.

But only if there is nobody driving in front of me, otherwise he/she/it can be distracted.
It?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #33
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, with some people, they are men, but drive like women.
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #34
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #35
1000city
DISCO VOLANTE

Likes (Received): 4194

I do flash because like in ohter countries speed cameras here are for taxing rather than safety. Speed limits in Poland very offen do not meet conditions of the road, they're usually at least 20km/h under reasonable level plus cops like to hide in bushes, behind bus stops etc. You wont't meet them around schools or sth., because drivers in those places usually slow down, so hunting is poor. I also flash to warn about traffic disruptions or if someone oncoming forgot to turn ON lights (24/7 lighting is mandatory in Poland). Sometimes I also flash to ask someone to move from the fast lane (if it's possible of course) while I want to drive faster. Don't do it offen, because most silesian drivers don't need to be asked, and if they do turning on left indicator usually does the job. Another use of flashing common in Poland is when I give way someone despite having the right of way (to allow someone leave the crossroad or get in to traffic flow). I write it because foreign drivers offen don't understand it. Another confunding for some foreigners in Poland is usage of hazard lights or indicators. Flashing hazard lights during driving means for person behind us "watch out, there's danger ahead you can't see, i'm slowing down". It's espeicially common on highways/expressways when there's t-jam or accident. Another usage of hazard lights is to thank someone for giving way or say "sorry" if we did sth wrong. Some drivers (me too) use indicators (e.g. left right left sequence) instead of hazards to thank.

Last edited by 1000city; April 9th, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
1000city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #36
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Not too many here in Ontario.

it is actually illegal to flash your lights, and you can get a substantial fine too if caught, not sure how much though.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #37
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000city View Post
Another use of flashing common in Poland is when I give way someone despite having the right of way (to allow someone leave the crossroad or get in to traffic flow). I write it because foreign drivers offen don't understand it. Another confunding for some foreigners in Poland is usage of hazard lights or indicators. Flashing hazard lights during driving means for person behind us "watch out, there's danger ahead you can't see, i'm slowing down". It's espeicially common on highways/expressways when there's t-jam or accident. Another usage of hazard lights is to thank someone for giving way or say "sorry" if we did sth wrong. Some drivers (me too) use indicators (e.g. left right left sequence) instead of hazards to thank.
We do that too in the Netherlands Truckers use it extensively.

Some nice Slovakian people flashed me to go, (i was on my bicycle), even they had the right of way. It's all pretty common i think
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #38
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Not too many here in Ontario.

it is actually illegal to flash your lights, and you can get a substantial fine too if caught, not sure how much though.
Sounds like a typical American law.
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #39
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think it isn't allowed in the Netherlands either.
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #40
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Never done that. Anyway, if someone is speeding before a speed trap, it's their own problem, not mine.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote