daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you flash to warn about speed traps?
Yes (even if it's rarely) 130 74.29%
Never 45 25.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 9th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #41
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I guess my antipathy to cops come from Russia and Ukraine where I grew up and where it was a normal practice But anyway, it feels good to help other people avoid speed traps' tickets. Especially in the USA where speeding fines are definitely abused by the police
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #42
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

In the Netherlands, the Police has even a number of fines goal. So if they didn't get enough fines in a certain period, they simply just conduct some speed checks on easy locations, like quiet motorways or urban roads with a speed limit that is 20km too slow.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #43
hetfield85
Metallica Band Member

Likes (Received): 25

We have to help each other so i do flash to oncoming traffic sometimes.
hetfield85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #44
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
I hope it's a joke.
People acting like that should not be allowed to drive any longer.
People that sit in the overtaking lanes should not be allowed to drive any longer.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #45
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4965

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
I hope it's a joke.
People acting like that should not be allowed to drive any longer.

Flashing can appear a bit old-fashioned but it's still the most efficient system: Citizen Band doesn't work any longer and new GPS-linked systems ("Coyot") need more users to work.
You've got to be kidding. Overtaking lanes are for just that - overtaking. If you'er too slow, you should move out of the way.
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #46
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Here (Norway) almost everybody flashes their lights. I guess it has to do with the fines being extremely large and almost always just a way for the police to make some extra cash. For example, where I grew up there's a short stretch coming downhill where you easily gain an extra 10-30 km/h if you don't actively reduce your speed. Most people don't because there's a flat stretch right after it where you speed will be reduced to normal again. The police always lurks in the bushes at the very bottom of the steep stretch, and it's always on Sundays when people are going back into the city after the weekend.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #47
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Oh yeah, there in Scandinavia you're just crazy aboud speed limits
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM   #48
dia
ъхъ

Likes (Received): 10

In Luxembourg people flash for everything except speed traps. I guess it's because for my 9 years of living here, I've seen only one. AND this particular day I was speeding A LOT, I saw the cop, opened my eyes big in shock and he just warned me with the finger If they want to make money with fines, they go to "STOP" signs and hide well

During my travels in Belgium though, on the E411 especially, I saw it many times between the truck drivers.
dia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:59 PM   #49
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4044

Yes! and it's very common in Chile.

In Chile there aren't fixed traps and mobile speed traps are usually located in inter-city highways, not urban highways, sometimes there's speed traps in avenues, but its rare.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM   #50
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4270

I flash drivers when I can. I make sure that I am out of sight of the cops, since I had a priest at my church get pulled over for wanring other drivers one time. I don't warn people that don't really need it, and who look like they are going really slow.

Delaware is one state where flashing other drivers is prety common. I don't notice it as much in other states. I notice it a little bit in areas of the Bos-Wash Corridor, like southeast Pennsylvania, or most of Maryland, or south Jersey. Flashing other drivers to wanr them is very uncommon in non-megalopolis areas, like central Pennsylvania and western New York, where I also frequently drive.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM   #51
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
Sounds like a typical American law.
Well, Ontario is Canada, not the U.S.

In the U.S., my experience is that some states have more drivers that flash than others. Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and other "heartland" states I've seen it quite a bit. California not so much.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #52
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania almost everybody flashes if there is a speed trap. The only thing I hate is that most of the drivers are going 20 km/h slower than the speed limit after they see the flashes, although they could do +9 km/h without getting a ticket (according to the Romanian law you can get a speeding ticked only if you passed the legal speed limit with more than 10 km/h). And if I want to overtake them when they are doing 45 -50 km/h on a zone with 70 km/h speed limit they look stange at me .
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #53
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

I've always wanted to, but the chance hasn't come up yet.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #54
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2276

Quote:
Do you flash to warn about speed traps?
Yes. Also here we flash to drivers which forgot to turn on headlights during day time.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #55
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I usually flash, but not on fixed speed traps.

Because i think 95% of the speed traps in the Netherlands has nothing to do with traffic safety, but is only about cashing.
Just the same here.
On fixed traps I usually reduce speed without hitting the brake, except when I see a foreigner is behind me - in that case I'll lit the braking-lights just to make sure their holidays are not being spoiled by a completely useless Dutch fine.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #56
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I still never understood the argument about "making money". If people aren't speeding, they won't get ticketed and thus they won't lose money.
The problem is, is that the majority of these traps is solely to make it easy for police to get their MINIMUM quota of tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Not too many here in Ontario.

it is actually illegal to flash your lights, and you can get a substantial fine too if caught, not sure how much though.
Have to keep that in mind, if I get enough money to go out there later this year. I think they'd actually have to see you flash your lights, otherwise, I doubt that the OPP would make the effort to nail you for that.

Quote:
In the Netherlands, the Police has even a number of fines goal. So if they didn't get enough fines in a certain period, they simply just conduct some speed checks on easy locations, like quiet motorways or urban roads with a speed limit that is 20km too slow.
This practice came to a head last year in both Calgary and Edmonton, when some officers from both municipal police departments were disciplined for not meeting their quotas. There was a huge uproar over it, but haven't heard anything about it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dia View Post
I was speeding A LOT, I saw the cop, opened my eyes big in shock and he just warned me with the finger

During my travels in Belgium though, on the E411 especially, I saw it many times between the truck drivers.
I had that happen to me when I lived in northern Alberta. I was speeding up the highway and the RCMP had a speed trap set up at the town limit, where it drops from 110km/h to 60km/h. I was doing about 160km/h, but got it down to the posted limit within their 200 m limit (Found that out about a driver nailed on the Edmonton/St-Albert city boundary who wrote to the local paper) Boy was the cop pissed off to, since I denied him the chance to write a rather expensive ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
I've always wanted to, but the chance hasn't come up yet.
Lucky you.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #57
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yeah, but in the Netherlands, speed camera's and mobile speed traps are usually on places where there are no pedestrians or cyclists.

For instance, on the ringroad of Zwolle, there is a section of 2x2 lanes with a median. You are only allowed to drive 50 here, which feels like crawling. Ofcourse, this section is littered with about 6 -7 speed camera's.

You won't find a speed camera near schools here. Speed checking is okay, as long as speed limits are complying with the design speed of the roads. Since 70% of all speed tickets is for less than 10km/h too fast, i can only say it's only about making money.
They don't give you 10km/h over? It certainly sounds draconian. I would have anticipated the police allow a certain tolerance above the speed limit in the Netherlands.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #58
KiwiGuy
ˇVIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

I remember I had a trainee teacher from Minnesota in the car when I was coming back from a school camp about six years ago. On this particular stretch of road, on the left hand side were some very large flax bushes. Coming around a corner, a car coming the opposite way flashed their lights at us. She asked "What does that mean?" My mum replied "It means there is a speed camera ahead." And sure enough, between two bushes which were taller than the vehicle itself was a camera van.
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #59
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I have driven through former Yugoslav Republics and it is very common, I see it as a good hearted gesture, ofcourse its a money making schemes. This tradition is carried throughout Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro. I did't see so much in Serbia. In Kosovo people also flash as warning. I don't know the legality of the act in different countries but there is always the risk you could be flashing an unmarked police car and get raped yourself for breaking laws.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #60
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Here they rarely place speed traps on roads without a median so I simply tap my brake lights 3 times, most people here don't get that.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote