daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you flash to warn about speed traps?
Yes (even if it's rarely) 130 74.29%
Never 45 25.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #101
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Likes (Received): 0

Everyone does it in Morocco !
Lebanese_Almaghrebia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #102
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

I've never even heard of this practise before!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #103
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I never flash to warn about speed traps... if one drives too fast he deserves a ticket. I don't like being flashed for the same reason: I always think that something serious happened on the road ahead, until I see the speed trap and I curse this extension of the concept of "emergency".
The only problem is, in some places there is a difference between "driving too fast" and breaking the speed limit, because the speed limits are unreasonable.

I just spent too much time on Google trying to establish the definition of "speed trap." Because I think speed trap originally meant not just a place where the police hang out (with radar or whatever) to catch genuine speeders, but a place where the speed limit is artificially low (and suddenly lower than the previous stretch of road) and the purpose is not safer roads but raising money. This used to happen all the time in the U.S. - if a small town had a major highway passing through it, tickets could provide a major part of the town's budget....

I couldn't find a dictionary on line that would back me up on this. But in browsing for such a thing, I learned that in many states "speed traps" defined in that way are actually illegal - meaning that if a small town (or whatever law enforcement agency) raises too much of its money on catching people breaking the speed limit, that town will be breaking state law and its tickets will be invalid. And it would appear that there are plenty of places that still have the reputation of speed traps in this sense of the expression, although they'll usually claim that it's in the interest of safety.

Check out this article - http://law.freeadvice.com/general_pr...ap-traffic.htm
- particularly the beginning of the second paragraph:

"Defined under California law as 'an artificially low speed limit combined with excessively high enforcement,' "

Now, even though it's got quotes around it, as far as I can tell that's a summary of what the California law says rather than the actual language, but still, there it is.

I've run on a bit. Sorry. My point is that, at least in North America, some people feel that speed limits are often unreasonably low, and enforcement is often not motivated by genuine safety concerns but by the desire to raise money. And you can't just respond to us by saying, well, it's the law and you're disrespecting it by personally deciding it's unreasonable, because there are actually local governments out there that are in violation of the law of their states by establishing such limits.

So I often, when I see a cop sitting by the side of a road, particularly in a hidden place, will flash a couple of times. If someone's really driving too fast, he should be ticketed, but my warning won't help him because he probably won't be able to slow down fast enough.

That said, I've "sped" past plenty of cops (doing, say, 75 mph - roughly 120 km/h - where the limit's 65 mph - roughly 105 km/h) and never, ever gotten a speeding ticket on the highway. (Knock on wood....) Because most people will be doing the same speed and there will be a few far faster people out there. And those far faster people will be caught, and should be.

[climbs off soapbox]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #104
Tincap

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, I do.

I also flash when there's potential danger for on coming drivers, such as road hazards, like deer standing next to the road...which happens a lot in my area!

~BG
Tincap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #105
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I've never even heard of this practise before!
They do it in London, Manchester and Sheffield... But not in Moscow?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #106
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

I flash always when a potential danger is on road.

As I said... police punish "using lights if no need". If it is to advice of a potential danger, of course it is needed. If it is to advice of a road police control, there is no danger to advice.

The police responsible said some years ago that... should a driver takes all rules on road, no problem, no need to flash. Should a driver goes as he wants... it is the first danger you find on the road.

So then he made the question: Which is the danger?, A police control or a driver who requires always an advice before a police control?

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #107
Road_UK
BANNED

Police are ready to punish you if you're farting in your own car if you're not careful. You just can't play it by the book for a full 100%. Just don't get caught if you are in an area where the police are known to be notorious dickheads. Lorries flash each other all the time when one is overtaking the other, and it's safe to pull back to the inside lane, followed by a indicator left-right-left or whatever. Guilty as hell officer, arrest me!
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #108
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

In Hungary, flashing to warn on-coming traffic is very common. Fix radar boxes have been recently installed on many motorway stretches, but on 2x1 highways, they are still very rare, so speed traps with real police "have to be used".

Many of the warning drivers also draw a circle in the air with their hand, indicating "speedometer".

In Germany or Switzerland, warning is less widespread, but still exists. In these countries, however, fix radar boxes can be found basically anywhere, so "danger" is present without real police as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
As I said... police punish "using lights if no need".
That's also the case in the above countries ... "Using the high beam outside of its range of purpose" or the like is the legal background. In Germany, however, the fine is only about some 10-20 €, depending on whether it was "intentional" or "result-of-negligence" (accidental touch of switch) use.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #109
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have heard about something more than just flashing: trucks are equiped with radio stations so the drivers can talk with eachother. In Romania (and maybe not only) they warn themselves about the police presence on the radio, so if you see a truck going with 90 in a zone with the limit set at 50 you can be 99% sure that you won't be caught because there isn't any speed trap.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #110
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

CB radio. Most trucks have it. It was a big craze in the 1970's to have a CB radio in your car (though mainly in North America).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #111
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2302

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I have heard about something more than just flashing: trucks are equiped with radio stations so the drivers can talk with eachother.
In Poland they equip light vehicles with this radio. They stand out with very long antennas.

Btw, is it true that CB radio is prohibited for trucks in Turkey?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #112
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
CB radio. Most trucks have it. It was a big craze in the 1970's to have a CB radio in your car (though mainly in North America).
Got one in my van. My boss fitted them in, as he was getting very angry about high mobile phone bills, even when we're driving in convoy.
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #113
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

I sometimes do. Speed traps are rarely effective in stopping speeders here and some of them are quite devious. I mainly flash lights if there's a big wreck or slowdown ahead of oncoming traffic.
Old July 17th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #114
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
I have heard about something more than just flashing: trucks are equiped with radio stations so the drivers can talk with eachother. In Romania (and maybe not only) they warn themselves about the police presence on the radio, so if you see a truck going with 90 in a zone with the limit set at 50 you can be 99% sure that you won't be caught because there isn't any speed trap.
In Spain trucks do the same... but they can do little about speed because they have a record with the speed they hade in last week at any hour. It can be useful if local restrictions in a special point also... and that, of course, cannot be proved by police.
But truck traffic record is more important than that. They indicate which hours have you been driving and the speed at any hour. It is mandatory too for buses and should they have two drivers... one record for each driver.

Off topic... as far as I remember, they are allowed to nine hours driving per day but having 45 minutes rest after four hours at least.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #115
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
They do it in London, Manchester and Sheffield... But not in Moscow?
I've never seen or heard about it so I guess not!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #116
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Off topic... as far as I remember, they are allowed to nine hours driving per day but having 45 minutes rest after four hours at least.
The digital tagograph. It's despised by truckers because they can be fined for the most marginal offenses up to 4 weeks later. It's not uncommon to get a multi-hunderd euro fine for having driving a few minutes over their hours.

The European rules are rather complicated.

A trucker may drive no more than 9 hours per day, but twice a week this can be extended to 10 hours. A trucker may not drive more than 4,5 hours in a row, then a 45 minute break is mandatory. The break may be split up in a 15 and 30-minute break. A trucker may not drive more than 56 hours per week. A trucker may also not drive more than 90 hours in two weeks time. A trucker must rest for 11 consecutive hours, but is allowed to be shortened to 9 hours three times a week. In a whole week, a trucker must rest at least 45 hours.

The American hours of service are significantly less complicated.

An American trucker may work up to 14 hours a day, including a maximum of 11 hours driving, after which a 10-hour rest period is mandatory. A trucker may drive 70 hours per week, after which a 34-hour rest period is mandatory. Then it begins again with 70 hours of driving.

Include higher truck speed limits in the United States, and this means an American trucker can drive twice as much distance in two weeks as a European trucker.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 17th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #117
mediar
Digital.Creation

Likes (Received): 5336

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwatchforever View Post
Of Course baby, I flash like a Christmas tree because in Serbia police are only stopping people with old cars, speed traps are very frequent and I have NEVER seen they stopped a new car even if it's speeding in the front of their eyes.
Same in Bulgaria. The police has never taken care for our safety, they just want money ( usually 10 or 25 euro / 20 or 50 leva per car ).

НЕ ИЗПОЛЗВАЙТЕ GOOGLE-СКИ САЙТОВЕ ЗА ХОСТИНГ НА СНИМКИ!!!
mediar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #118
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The digital tagograph. It's despised by truckers because they can be fined for the most marginal offenses up to 4 weeks later. It's not uncommon to get a multi-hunderd euro fine for having driving a few minutes over their hours.

The European rules are rather complicated.

A trucker may drive no more than 9 hours per day, but twice a week this can be extended to 10 hours. A trucker may not drive more than 4,5 hours in a row, then a 45 minute break is mandatory. The break may be split up in a 15 and 30-minute break. A trucker may not drive more than 56 hours per week. A trucker may also not drive more than 90 hours in two weeks time. A trucker must rest for 11 consecutive hours, but is allowed to be shortened to 9 hours three times a week. In a whole week, a trucker must rest at least 45 hours.

The American hours of service are significantly less complicated.

An American trucker may work up to 14 hours a week, including a maximum of 11 hours driving, after which a 10-hour rest period is mandatory. A trucker may drive 70 hours per week, after which a 34-hour rest period is mandatory. Then it begins again with 70 hours of driving.

Include higher truck speed limits in the United States, and this means an American trucker can drive twice as much distance in two weeks as a European trucker.
14h/week = 2h/day
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #119
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

I'm from the US, and originally from PA but have been living in NC. I generally flash to warn about speed traps, especially when I'm in areas with which I'm quite familiar or if I'm out on one of the interstates or similar freeways.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #120
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
My uncle has a CB radio in his pickup so he can listen to truckers and get warning about potential speed traps ahead. It's the next best thing to a radar detector since those are illegal in Virginia.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote