daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you flash to warn about speed traps?
Yes (even if it's rarely) 130 74.29%
Never 45 25.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #121
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Since the police is always measuring speeds on places, where it is not necessary or where the speed limit is very strict I almost always flash to other drivers.

Once I've driven my car on a secondary road. The built-up area had ended and I had approached a curvy road with crash barriers through the forest. Since I had a new car enjoying the stronger engine, had not noticed whether I pass over the end-of-built-up-area sign. But regarding the environment I had bet yes so I had sped up. Then the policeman had jumped behind the tree and told me I am in "built-up area" which costed me 150 Eur. Unfortunately nobody flashed at me.

Or as I have many times seen. You have city-entrance sign decreasing the speed limit from 90 kph to 50 kph and approx. 50 m behind there is a speed limit sign increasing max. speed to 70 kph. Yes, the police likes to measure 50kph on that trap

I really hate dangerous drive and speeding on roads. But at the same time I hate when police is measuring speed on traffic signs traps. But when I request them by e-mail to measure speed next to grammar school in my neighbourhood, they even don't bother to response.

I will proudly flash on other drivers, unless the police ceased to fine (especially foreign) drivers on speed-limit traps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediar
Same in Bulgaria. The police has never taken care for our safety, they just want money ( usually 10 or 25 euro / 20 or 50 leva per car )
attach one zero to the end of values you have written and welcome to Slovakia. Policestan

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #122
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

I never flash. I don't speed, I don't need anyone warning me about speed checking ahead.

g.spinoza liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #123
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Was warned of a speed trap last month in France. Had already seen them so was already driving like a granny .

I usually flash people on two-way roads. On motorways, it's harder, plus I don't want the driver in front of me thinking something is wrong.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #124
i15

Likes (Received): 612

I flash because I believe in good karma on roads. I flash today and you'll warn me tomorow. I give you space today, you'll give me tomorow I normally don't speed, only during ovetaking or due to short lack of attenton/lazyness. So I think it's good to warn drivers that may be doing the same. Drivers that break the law constantly will be fined - sooner or later.
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #125
rakcancer

....or they kill someone before they got caught.... that is not good karma.
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #126
i15

he/she slows down for a while and there is lower possibility of deadly accident
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #127
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
he/she slows down for a while and there is lower possibility of deadly accident
Slowing down suddenly when speeding actually increases the possibility of deadly accidents...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #128
i15

so.. when cop stops car doing 110 it's more dangerous than slowing down from 110 to 90? Flashing near speed traps is possitive attitude, it shows other drivers that you are not selfish and you care about them. I think possitive attitude can make road safer.
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #129
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
so.. when cop stops car doing 110 it's more dangerous than slowing down from 110 to 90? Flashing near speed traps is possitive attitude, it shows other drivers that you are not selfish and you care about them. I think possitive attitude can make road safer.
It's not a positive (only 1 "s") attitude. It just shows that you don't care about the rules and others shouldn't, too.
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #130
i15

it's not illegal to warn others and you can do it while you are keeping the speed limit
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #131
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
it's not illegal to warn others and you can do it while you are keeping the speed limit
I never said it was illegal.

EDIT: Actually it is, because high beams should be used only in case of immediate danger, and this is not the case.
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #132
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Yes hello... I flash to let people in as they do in Britain, or to let the lorry driver know it's safe to move over like all professional drivers do, or to say hi to an oncoming colleague...
Or I use them to warn people about speed traps..
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #133
volodaaaa

I think, some of you guys, misunderstood the name of the thread. We are talking about speed traps, not about speeding generally.

When I'm driving primary road with the speed limit 90 kph and police is measuring there, I don't flash since it is not a trap. But when there is a temporary sign decreasing the speed limit to 30 kph due to roadwork with neither workers nor facilities to work and police is measuring right there, be sure I will flash the hell from my highbeams. Because national budget should be filled neither only from common people nor foreign drivers but from politicians themselves.

And yes, it is illegal.

Old July 8th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #134
rakcancer

So you are basically saying that it is up to you to judge either speed limits in some cases make sense or in some don't? Why not to obey rules ALL THE TIME instead of that twisted philosophy about politics or other not related topics?
Old July 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #135
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
So you are basically saying that it is up to you to judge either speed limits in some cases make sense or in some don't? Why not to obey rules ALL THE TIME instead of that twisted philosophy about politics or other not related topics?
I don't know where are you from, but yes, in some post-communist countries you are supposed to use your own logic, otherwise you may crash easily.

How can I even think of taking some traffic signs seriously, when cases like one-way cul-de-sac sometimes emerge. Or when the workers are not equipped by maximum speed limit sign, so they don't care and just install minimum speed limit sing instead ?

Or sign "keep left/right" is often exchanged with "turn left/right". And I would not better talk about "keep left/right markers". If I should follow them, I could attend myself on Super-G Slalom.

This does not even deserve a comment. What would you do in case of turning right?

The same goes, when you have a city-entrance sign determining the speed limit to 50kph and few metres ahead you have traffic sign increasing the speed limit to 70 kph, so basically, there is a small section (~10 m) of road, where is speed limit 50 kph. And police is measuring speed right there. How could you call that?

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #136
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
The same goes, when you have a city-entrance sign determining the speed limit to 50kph and few metres ahead you have traffic sign increasing the speed limit to 70 kph, so basically, there is a small section (~10 m) of road, where is speed limit 50 kph. And police is measuring speed right there. How could you call that?
This happened to me, a 90 km/h road going 70 and then 50 in a very short span. Speed trap was placed in the short 70 section. I got a fine and payed, because that's what you do. Next time I will be more careful.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #137
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
It actually IS illegal in Germany. They can fine you because of "unnecessary use of high beams" and it costs like 25 EUR but I'll flash anyways. As long as there are arbitrary speed limits just to fill a financially mismanaged communities coffers I will resist. I wouldn't flash someone who races by a school during daytime doing twice the speed limit but when does that ever happen. They only time they flash around schools and kindergardens is on Sunday morning at 2 am to cash in on people...
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #138
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
How could you call that?
I call it a speed trap.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #139
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
This happened to me, a 90 km/h road going 70 and then 50 in a very short span. Speed trap was placed in the short 70 section. I got a fine and payed, because that's what you do. Next time I will be more careful.
You are as humble as a saint my friend
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #140
i15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
It actually IS illegal in Germany. They can fine you because of "unnecessary use of high beams" and it costs like 25 EUR but I'll flash anyways.
I think it's the same in Slovakia, but you can use different warning sign, or just don't care and use headlights

volodaaaa: first one is taken near Hotel California and second one is OK, you can turn right, but you have to yield