daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old February 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #461
LCIII

Likes (Received): 644

Going through this extra process to trade low income housing and public plazas and the like seems to imply that they'll be large. Why else would they potentially donate $39 million to the city if they weren't getting something like more height out of the deal? Doesn't common sense dictate they'll be at least tall?
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 24th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #462
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
It's interesting to see they're planning two buildings per block at a total of 6 for these blocks. That's exciting to me!
I don't know that that's the case. While they draw the borders as being 2 buildings per block, all blocks have a proposal to vacate the alley. Looks ambiguous at this point.
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #463
jessejb

Likes (Received): 266

Man that is a lot of money theyre donating to the city... That alone would erase a hell of a lot of budget crises (assuming there are some).
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #464
LCIII

Do you have a specific example? I've yet to see a proposal like this with an alley in the drawings that didn't actually end up a part of the final plan. Everything I've seen from this stage actually resulted in an alley were it was proposed.
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #465
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Do you have a specific example? I've yet to see a proposal like this with an alley in the drawings that didn't actually end up a part of the final plan. Everything I've seen from this stage actually resulted in an alley were it was proposed.
1200 Stewart:
Land Use Bulletin that mentions vacating the alley: http://web1.seattle.gov/dpd/luib/Not...D=432&NID=9984
Design review docs: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID2892.pdf
(edit: Check out page 48, it'll knock your socks off)

A whole block building that vacates the alley. Granted this is a twin tower proposal, but thats mostly because its residential.

Last edited by BoulderGrad; February 25th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #466
InlandEmpire
Mixologist

Likes (Received): 21

That's kind of what I was thinking when I saw those bulletins LCIII posted (thank you by the way!) - an 'alley' running through the podium of twin towers or a more massive main tower.

BTW- wish 1200 Stewart and/or some of those other projects get spurred to move ahead! Some pretty good stuff there.
InlandEmpire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #467
LCIII

Thank you. I just wanted to see an example. Even if it ends up being twin towers that share a podium then that still gets me excited. 6 towers poking up from either 3 podiums or 6 really doesn't make a difference to me!

As for projects I wish would come to life in light of this project moving forward- hands down Insignia Towers. If I could revive anything it would be that one and it's residential nearby and with no new condos coming on the market anytime soon and all condos sold out in SLU it makes sense that it would get dusted off with all high paging jobs that will come with this Amazon expansion.
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #468
LCIII

Amazon consultant pegs 3 future buildings' value at $200M each

Amazon wants the city to consider the projects on all three blocks together, as a single "planned community development."

By Eric Pryne
Seattle Times business reporter

Amazon.com's real-estate consultant has estimated the value of the office towers the online retailer plans to build on three blocks in Seattle's Denny Triangle at $600 million.
The "project valuations" — $200 million for development on each of the three blocks — are included in preliminary paperwork that consultant Seneca Group filed with city planners earlier this month.
It's unclear whether those numbers reflect just construction costs, or something more. A Seneca principal did not respond to requests for more information.
Amazon has agreed to buy the three blocks — bounded roughly by Westlake Avenue, Sixth Avenue and Blanchard Street — from Clise Properties and build office towers on each of them to handle its explosive growth.
While few details of Amazon's plans have surfaced — the company isn't talking — the handful of documents in the files of the city's Department of Planning and Development do provide some nuggets.
They also raise a question: Just how many buildings does Amazon plan to construct?
In its "pre-submittal conference" applications, Seneca Group says Amazon's plan is to build a 1 million-square-foot office building — singular — on each of the three blocks.
But preliminary site plans from architect NBBJ in the same document show footprints for two new buildings on each block.
Which is it?
"That's unclear," said Alan Justad, a spokesman for the planning department. "It's possible there could be a small as well as a large (building) on each of the blocks."
More details should be available soon, he added.
Documents submitted by Seneca say each block's development would provide ground-floor retail space and underground parking for 1,000 vehicles.
They also hint the development might include a large auditorium, with 1,000 to 2,000 seats, that would be available for public use after business hours.
Amazon wants the city to consider the projects on all three blocks together, as a single "planned community development," for purposes of determining what "public benefits" the company should provide or fund in return for permission to build more densely.
According to the city, public benefits for such developments may include low-income housing, historic preservation and public open space. If planners are satisfied with Amazon's plans, zoning allows towers up to 500 feet tall on each of the blocks.
The department has scheduled a public meeting March 13 to discuss the sites and public-benefit priorities. The city's Downtown Design Review Board will consider preliminary design proposals for the buildings — plans that haven't yet been submitted — March 27.
Real-estate sources say final sale of the blocks to Amazon probably is contingent on city approval of the projects. Clise Properties Chairman Al Clise has declined to say what Amazon is paying.
For reference, in fall 2007 Clise sold a full block nearby — 1.9 acres — to Canadian condo developers for nearly $49.9 million, or about $597 per square foot. That block remains undeveloped.
The blocks Amazon is buying total about 5.2 acres.
Eric Pryne: 206-464-2231 or epryne@seattletimes.com
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #469
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 161

"Amazon wants the city to consider the projects on all three blocks together, as a single "planned community development," for purposes of determining what "public benefits" the company should provide or fund in return for permission to build more densely."

That's a good sign for taller than 500', right?
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #470
LCIII

Exact line that stuck out for me too!
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #471
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah View Post
"Amazon wants the city to consider the projects on all three blocks together, as a single "planned community development," for purposes of determining what "public benefits" the company should provide or fund in return for permission to build more densely."

That's a good sign for taller than 500', right?
The way I read it here...

Quote:
According to the city, public benefits for such developments may include low-income housing, historic preservation and public open space. If planners are satisfied with Amazon's plans, zoning allows towers up to 500 feet tall on each of the blocks.
... makes it sound like they have to provide that stuff just to be able to build all the way up to 500'. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd like to see taller (like 700') and skinnier towers with neat crowns.
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #472
LCIII

But we know that to be untrue. 500' is the zoned limit. If you do extra for the city you get extra in return. How else would they incentivize developers to participate in these programs?
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #473
M'sFan

Likes (Received): 34

I thought that purchasing and providing public housing was the way for developers to specifically buy more height in Seattle...I distinctly recall reading that.
M'sFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #474
bgwah
honk!!!

Likes (Received): 161

This article from a week or two ago seems to suggest otherwise, Jiminy:

Quote:
Amazon won’t need any zoning variances to build its three enormous office towers, Clise said. Current zoning allows buildings up to 500 feet in height that are a million square feet or more on the parcels that Amazon is purchasing, he said.
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/b...ding-deal.html
bgwah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #475
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking when I saw those bulletins LCIII posted (thank you by the way!) - an 'alley' running through the podium of twin towers or a more massive main tower.

BTW- wish 1200 Stewart and/or some of those other projects get spurred to move ahead! Some pretty good stuff there.
There's an alley that runs through the Olivian, although that is not a full block project.
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #476
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1150

Quote:
As for projects I wish would come to life in light of this project moving forward- hands down Insignia Towers.
Preach on. I walk by this parcel a couple times a week and it just looks shittier every time. Some bums got underneath the fencing a year or so ago and have set up quite the Hooverville underneath the girders.
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #477
Seattlejohn

Likes (Received): 2

Does anyone know any possible logic in prohibiting taller buildings in this district? I can see that in the retail core, but this area is served by adequate transportation
I sure hope these buildings are less boring than the other Amazon offices.
BTW, I used to be active on this forum but dropped out during the building bust after the bubble burst. Nice to see it has bounced back.
Seattlejohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #478
Doomgoggles
Unregistered non-user

Likes (Received): 170

Those would still be incredibly bulky buildings if they're going to stay under 500 feet. I think Amazon owes it to itself to come up with something more imaginative than 3 similar blocks.
Doomgoggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #479
SJM

Likes (Received): 51

I think this is real opportunity to build something 1000 +, its deals like this that dont come very often. Cross your fingers!
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #480
LCIII

I don't even dare dream that large- I'd be ecstatic for something in the 700' range!