daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #181
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Yes, but not every state and road has adopted the new Clearview font.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #182
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

"Arch Rock Road" is in Clearview, but I don't think the bottom line is.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #183
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Pennsylvanian landscape reminds me pretty much of Germany by the way. Nice hills, but no real high mountains.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #184
ChrisZwolle
Road user

About that first picture, how old are those homes and what do they cost on average?
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #185
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

That's true- obviously southern Germany starts to get some decent mountains, but there's nothing very big in PA, even by east coast USA standards. On the other hand, there's not very much of the state that's flat either.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #186
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
About that first picture, how old are those homes and what do they cost on average?
I think they're 1950s and would go for a bit under 200k.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #187
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wow that's cheap. I guess such homes would be in the 500 k range in NL

Good to see housing is still affordable in those areas.
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #188
radiant_city
Bisy Backson

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
US 6 used to run all the way from Long Beach (via I-110/I-5/SR-14/US 395)
It still does, albeit that every so often it actually merges with an interstate. I am thinking of a section of I-84 from Southbury to Newtown in CT that is both I-84 and US 6.. which as far as I am aware still has its eastern terminus in Provincetown MA (at the tip of Cape Cod) and its western in Long Beach.

Or is it Barstow? Suffering from CRS at the moment. Selah.

Is this the new clearview font?
image hosted on flickr
[/quote]

Why, yes, I believe it is.

The artist in me cries out for design. - Robert Frost
radiant_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #189
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

US 6 was cut back to end at US 395 in Bishop, CA in the 1960s.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #190
Yamaneko

Likes (Received): 0

Boondoggle coming to West Lafayette

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
THe ICC is a wasteful boondoggle. The money could have spent fixing existing roads and investing in much needed mass transit in the Baltimore area.
We have a boondoggle coming to West Lafayette, IN: the US 231 realignment, which will branch south from US 52, cross the Wabash west of the city, then meet the current US 231 on the south side of Lafayette.

(SR 25's realignment/rebuild northeast of Lafayette, on the other hand, is desperately needed.)
Yamaneko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:21 AM   #191
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
We have a boondoggle coming to West Lafayette, IN: the US 231 realignment, which will branch south from US 52, cross the Wabash west of the city, then meet the current US 231 on the south side of Lafayette.

(SR 25's realignment/rebuild northeast of Lafayette, on the other hand, is desperately needed.)
I agree. Fixing SR 25 and completing the Hoosier Heartland Connector is a very important project.

I thought the first 231 re-alignment was enough.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:56 AM   #192
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Thanks, Billpa, for the fine report. that's one of the zillion roads I'd like to drive someday but prolly never will.

I'm surprised at the wide median. I didn't think PA did that, especially on non-Interstates.

EDIT: Whoa, check out the funkadelic interchange! http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=...36049&t=k&z=14

2nd EDIT: Does that sign say "EXIT HERE"? And with one arrow pointing upward and to the right bracketed by others pointing down. How strange. I no likey.
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Tom 958; January 23rd, 2009 at 05:14 AM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:55 AM   #193
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiant_city View Post
It still does, albeit that every so often it actually merges with an interstate. I am thinking of a section of I-84 from Southbury to Newtown in CT that is both I-84 and US 6.. which as far as I am aware still has its eastern terminus in Provincetown MA (at the tip of Cape Cod) and its western in Long Beach.

Or is it Barstow? Suffering from CRS at the moment. Selah.
US 6 actually has 3 highway sections in Connecticut; The section around Danbury you mentioned, another multiplex with I-84 through Hartford, and a several mile section in Willimantic that was upgraded to freeway for I-84.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM   #194
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Does that sign say "EXIT HERE"? And with one arrow pointing upward and to the right bracketed by others pointing down. How strange. I no likey.
image hosted on flickr
That's right...the exit in question, which you can see in another one of my pictures, quickly goes in two directions so they're trying to tell people which lane to use if they want to go east - BUT- with the yellow used it often means people not familiar with the setup go into the middle lane of I-81 (which I'm on in this photo) because they think there's about to be a lane drop.
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #195
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Perhaps one solution would be to have in addition to a green background for the bottom of the 22/230 sign; three arrows on the I-81 sign, with the one on the right pointing diagonally to the bottom-right.

Of course, there's the whole up-vs-down-arrow debate, so I won't get into that...
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #196
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Road trip tips wanted...

I'm going to San Fransisco in a few weeks. When there, I'll hire a car for a day or two. Obvious trips include the Golden Gate and Highway 1 down to Carmel (and perhaps onwards, given time), but if anyone out there has other ideas of interesting roads that should be travelled... Thanks in advance.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #197
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-280 from San Francisco to San Jose is said to be a beautiful freeway. You might as well try out some bridges in the region.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #198
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
I-280 from San Francisco to San Jose is said to be a beautiful freeway. You might as well try out some bridges in the region.
Chris, I beg to differ. The landscape is nothing special, but still better than US-101 that runs parallel to it.

What I would suggest is to take a drive on CA-1 highway north of San Francisco up to Fort Bragg or Fort Ross. The scenery is amazing there... if it happens to be a sunny day On the way back you can turn out at Russian River and take CA-116 through Sebastopol to get back on US-101.

While you are in Carmel, don't forget to take a famous 17-mile drive. I didn't like it, but it is worth to see.

If you are a wine lover, you can visit Napa and Sonoma. Just to give you heads up, the scenery there is generally not very green and reminds me of inland Spain.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #199
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Chris, I beg to differ. The landscape is nothing special, but still better than US-101 that runs parallel to it.

What I would suggest is to take a drive on CA-1 highway north of San Francisco up to Fort Bragg or Fort Ross. The scenery is amazing there... if it happens to be a sunny day On the way back you can turn out at Russian River and take CA-116 through Sebastopol to get back on US-101.

While you are in Carmel, don't forget to take a famous 17-mile drive. I didn't like it, but it is worth to see.

If you are a wine lover, you can visit Napa and Sonoma. Just to give you heads up, the scenery there is generally not very green and reminds me of inland Spain.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see what I'll manage.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #200
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
I'm going to San Fransisco in a few weeks. When there, I'll hire a car for a day or two. Obvious trips include the Golden Gate and Highway 1 down to Carmel (and perhaps onwards, given time), but if anyone out there has other ideas of interesting roads that should be travelled... Thanks in advance.
Hwy 1 from LA all the way north to Washington state (runs together with US101 in northern California, Oregon and Washington State) is the best drive of my life so far.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states