daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2041
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

TX-121 DFW connector

new aerials

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

-Corey-, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #2042
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Texas freeways just RULES in my eyes. Unbelivable roads. Just LOVE those roads. More pictures please Freeway Friends

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png
Tommy Boy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #2043
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

http://maps.google.com/?ll=31.274058...21136&t=h&z=16

Anyone ever driven through this thing in Alexandria, LA?

Is it just me or does Louisiana do different things with roads? For example, the intersection of Airline and Causeway in New Orleans is a three-level roundabout based junction. Those are common elsewhere but you never see them in the US it seems
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2044
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

New Orleans in general has a different road network than much of the US.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #2045
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

City block patterns

This is a very interesting graph

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2046
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Is it just me or does Louisiana do different things with roads? For example, the intersection of Airline and Causeway in New Orleans is a three-level roundabout based junction. Those are common elsewhere but you never see them in the US it seems
Interesting observation. Louisiana does indeed have a lot of non-standard interchanges.

For example, this interchange between I-10 and Causeway Boulevard. Veterans Boulevard, Napoleon Avenue, Metairie Avenue and Esplanade Avenue have a huge amount of Michigan lefts, while they are not as common in the southeast. All of these are located in Metairie.

Metairie is an interesting place anyway. It consists chiefly of post-war suburban housing, however it had a population spike in 1990 with 219,000 inhabitants and is now down to 138,000 people (it was down significantly before Katrina hit). However, unlike Detroit or St. Louis, there are no large amounts of vacant lots.
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2047
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
No, it's not just you. Every state has its own ways of doing things, both in terms of road system development and in terms of what you see on the ground, e.g. intersection design, cross section elements and signage. Some states, like Louisiana, are pretty unique in that way, while others, like my own state of Georgia, are more chameleonlike in that they borrow liberally from other states. In fact, Georgia is so much that way that highways near the border of another state tend to resemble the highways of that state.

Sometimes I think that one DOT will see something that another state has done, and decide that they should have one of those, too, for their collection.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2048
scrat437

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A gas station along the Southern State Parkway in Queens the 1920s. This part opened in 1927.

Photo: Dutch Road Authority archives
That gas station is still in use today though it certainly doesn't look as asthetic today as it did back in the 1920's. The NYPD has a highway patrol unit across the road in the exact location of the trees in the background of this photo. The highway, the Grand Central Parkway is now as congested as all the other arterial highways in and around NYC.
scrat437 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2049
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Louisiana is the only place I have encountered where it is not uncommon to see causeways that are over ten-fifteen miles long (such as the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway and the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge).
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #2050
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are three long causeway type bridges in Louisiana;

* Lake Pontchartrain Causeway
* Manchac Swamp Bridge (I-55)
* Atchafalaya Bridge (I-10)

In addition, bridges like the Maestri Bridge (US 11) and I-10 Twin Span Bridge are also quite long.

The Manchac Swamp Bridge is interesting because the old US 51 that runs next to it was built on an embankment. Apparently constructing I-55 on a very long bridge was cheaper than to build a new embankment.
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #2051
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
http://maps.google.com/?ll=31.274058...21136&t=h&z=16

Anyone ever driven through this thing in Alexandria, LA?

It reminds me of a junction in West London that was to form part of a wider network of Ringways in London. This was one of the few sections to be completed. It was opened as the A40(M) and M41 motorways but they have since lost their motorway status and are now called the A40 and A3220 respectively.

http://goo.gl/maps/YVr7q

There are more grander scale junctions elsewhere in the UK's motorway network but they're not good at handling high volumes of traffic because they are not free-flow. Hence they're upgraded on the cheap with signals and if you're lucky a dedicated slip-road (ramp), such as this one on the M1/M62 junction:

http://goo.gl/maps/MEC12

I quite like this one though, as most of the traffic movements was planned for with dedicated slips between the M73 and M8:

http://goo.gl/maps/rTMs8
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2052
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dent Bridge, Idaho

This is probably the most obscure large suspension bridge in the United States. The Dent Bridge is located near Orofino, Idaho and spans a reservoir. It has a main span of 1,050 feet. It opened in 1971. A very minor country road runs across it, it's 15 miles from the nearest numbered highway and that road carries less than a thousand vehicles per day. Given the fact that there are no towns of villages along the road across the bridge, my guess is it carries around 100 vehicles per day, maybe more during tourist season.

image hosted on flickr

Dent Bridge by Paul Rule, on Flickr
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #2053
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Houston toll roads

Two more toll roads are proposed in Montgomery County. A western north-south route is to link planned Aggie Highway (toll) to SH 105 west of Conroe. An eastern north-south route is to link the planned Grand Parkway (SH 99) to SH 105 east of Conroe.

This area is generally exurban in character, but some areas are turning into more organized suburbs. Montgomery County is one of the fastest-growing counties in the United States. It grew from 294,000 in 2000 to 456,000 in 2010 and is still growing at circa 4% per year.

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #2055
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Quote:
This is probably the most obscure large suspension bridge in the United States. The Dent Bridge is located near Orofino, Idaho and spans a reservoir.
nice find.

Quote:
Two more toll roads are proposed in Montgomery County. A western north-south route is to link planned Aggie Highway (toll) to SH 105 west of Conroe.
That extension from 249 to Navasota will be nice for the College Station area, although 6 has been dramatically improved to 290 so its not like its a bad drive now. What an odd place for a toll road, though. I guess its for commuters from the Lake Conroe/Montgomery area, or something. A logical addition to all that would be a divided highway roughly parallel to the FM1488 corridor, linking the "Aggie Expressway" to 242 in The Woodlands.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #2056
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 89, Arizona

US 89 about 25 miles south of Page partially collapsed. It's not weather related, the AZ DOT thinks it's due some geologic event.

Old February 20th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #2057
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
A very minor country road runs across it, it's 15 miles from the nearest numbered highway and that road carries less than a thousand vehicles per day. Given the fact that there are no towns of villages along the road across the bridge, my guess is it carries around 100 vehicles per day, maybe more during tourist season.
There are plenty of roads like that in USA. Few years ago I was driving in rural eastern Idaho (part of a trip to Yellowstone). We stopped in a "rest area" for a picknick for 45 minutes and no car passed us in either direction...
Sunfuns está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #2058
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
US 89 about 25 miles south of Page partially collapsed. It's not weather related, the AZ DOT thinks it's due some geologic event.

looks like a lot of repairs are needed. major damage from the looks of it

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2059
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Devil's Slide road tunnels opens

A new set of twin road tunnels opened in California at Devil's Slide (Pacifica, CA)

They provides a bypass to the coastal highway (CA-1) that has been damaged by landslides several times since its opening in the 1920s, cutting off some posh communities and cities from San Francisco and requiring extensive detours

The tunnels are 4.100 ft long and go through seismic area. They are the longest road tunnels built in California in 50 years.

For the sake of scenery enhancement they built these fake rocks on the portals.

An overview of the area
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #2060
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Pretty cool! Wonder if they will keep a part of the old road open?
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states