daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #2181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

SH 114, SH 121, Grapevine, TX

A 20 lane freeway. 7 free lanes and 3 toll lanes each way.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #2182
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

what is the aadt on this section? enough for seven + three trough lanes?
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2183
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There were 180,000 vehicles per day in 2011. A traffic study for this project in 2006 forecasted 350,000 vehicles per day by 2025, but I suppose the recession may have slowed that growth by 5 years or so.

It is located in a rapidly growing area. Tarrant County grows by 2% each year, or about 40,000 people per year. Nearby areas are also growing fast.

I doubt if the managed lanes will be a success though. There are 14 lanes worth of free capacity, it'll take a long time before that becomes congested and people are willing to pay tolls to avoid congestion in the free lanes.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #2184
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

The thing I hate about the DFW connector is they actually created some nice logical connections at the DFW Airport end of it. I initially thought, why not create a simply interchange at 121/114/international parkway and make 121/114 the exits. Instead they made International Parkway/114 a right flyover exit and continued 121 to the south and through the interchange then turned it to the right to meed up with 114. Perfectly thoughtful and logical in the end as the 121 transition has long been the traffic problem, not 121 to the airport or 121 to 114 East. It has always been 121 to 114/121 west. So they decided to run those 3 lanes through and turn the whole freeway towards the west. But then at the west end of the project, they decide to kill this logic. Instead of just keeping 121 traffic on the right side of these now 7 lanes and creating a flyover exit on the right side that fly's over 114, a new left side exit is created. So the 114 traffic headed North West has to cross over the traffic head South West to reach their destination freeway. Yes, there is a small exit on the right one could take from 114 to get to 121, but why not keep the whole freeway and ramp where it is. Was this not the problem in the first place?
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:50 PM   #2185
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kilpatrick Turnpike, Oklahoma City

A part of the Kilpatrick Turnpike around Oklahoma City has recently been widened to six lanes.

image hosted on flickr

DSC03811 by okroads, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03813 by okroads, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03823 by okroads, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC03827 by okroads, on Flickr
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2186
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19154

I don't know if anyone posted it but ADOT opened temporary detour of damaged US89 via previously gravel tribal roads.

It is going to be called US89T

http://www.azdot.gov/media/News/news...ge-lake-powell

Interestingly after repairing US89 the newly paved road will be reverted to be just a tribal route.
I wonder to what standard did they upgrade it. What width etc.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2187
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Generally speaking, are tribal routes opened to regular traffic?
Old September 6th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2188
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

My guess is they're called that because they're under tribal jurisdiction, but that they're open to everyone.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #2189
ChrisZwolle
Road user

AR-530, Arkansas

State Highway 530 in Arkansas opened to traffic today. It's an 18 mile two-lane road from I-530 at Pine Bluff to Star City. It will eventually extend south to Monticello and is upgradable to Interstate Highway. Its ultimate purpose is to connect Little Rock with future I-69, though plans for that are a pipe dream so far.

In contrast to Northwest Arkansas, Southeast Arkansas is generally declining, especially around Pine Bluff. Traffic volumes are quite low on rural roads.

http://pbcommercial.com/sections/new...530-opens.html

I drew the route in Google Maps:
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2190
ChrisZwolle
Road user

MS-67, d'Iberville, Mississippi

A new interchange opened to traffic along State Route 67 in southern Mississippi. It serves a major retail area.

You can see the development through the years. The east-west freeway is I-10.

2005:

2010:

2013:

video:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 18th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2191
skylinedude

Likes (Received): 633

Southeast Wisconsin Beltline

If you were thinking of what would be a "Beltline" route for Southeast Wisconsin here is what it would roughly be:

Wisconsin Highway 60 from I-43 in Grafton west to Wisconsin Highway 26 south to I-39/I-90 south to Wisconsin Highway 11 east to Wisconsin Highway 50 east to I-94 in Pleasant Prairie. This route takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to drive and it's a really good driving route. This route takes you to Grafton, Cedarburg, Jackson, Slinger, Hartford, Hustisford, Clyman, Watertown, Johnson Creek, Jefferson, Fort Atkinson, Milton, Janesville, Delavan, Lake Geneva, Paddock Lake and many other communities near this corridor. Does anyone else think this route would be good to designate by the State as a Beltline roadway?
skylinedude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #2192
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Shoreway, Cleveland

The westernmost 2.5 miles of the Shoreway in Cleveland (Ohio Route 2) will be turned into a parkway. Although touted as a "freeway removal" it will not actually remove the freeway, nor install any traffic signals. The speed limit will be reduced from 50 to 35 mph. This segment of OH-2 carries 35,000 - 38,000 vehicles per day.

For some reason I can only access the Ohio DOT website through a proxy.
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2193
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedude View Post
If you were thinking of what would be a "Beltline" route for Southeast Wisconsin here is what it would roughly be:

Wisconsin Highway 60 from I-43 in Grafton west to Wisconsin Highway 26 south to I-39/I-90 south to Wisconsin Highway 11 east to Wisconsin Highway 50 east to I-94 in Pleasant Prairie. This route takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to drive and it's a really good driving route. This route takes you to Grafton, Cedarburg, Jackson, Slinger, Hartford, Hustisford, Clyman, Watertown, Johnson Creek, Jefferson, Fort Atkinson, Milton, Janesville, Delavan, Lake Geneva, Paddock Lake and many other communities near this corridor. Does anyone else think this route would be good to designate by the State as a Beltline roadway?
What does "designate as a Beltline" mean?
That said, this thread has more than its share of people actually from Wisconsin (not saying that's a bad thing) - sort of like it has people from Slovenia, and the Netherlands - so I'll refrain from answering. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2194
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The westernmost 2.5 miles of the Shoreway in Cleveland (Ohio Route 2) will be turned into a parkway. Although touted as a "freeway removal" it will not actually remove the freeway, nor install any traffic signals. The speed limit will be reduced from 50 to 35 mph. This segment of OH-2 carries 35,000 - 38,000 vehicles per day.

For some reason I can only access the Ohio DOT website through a proxy.
So what are they doing, apart from lowering the speed limit?

PS: Cleveland rocks.
At least, having the lake there is nice.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #2195
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So what are they doing, apart from lowering the speed limit?
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts...ct%20Sheet.pdf

tl;dr: Other than reconstruction of the mainline lanes to incorporate a landscaped median instead of this, it looks like a grab bag of relatively minor improvements (including quite a few RTO street connections) that'd prolly make sense if I knew the area. Seriously, this strikes me as a very detail-oriented project rather than implementation of a grand scheme, though of course the objective of improving livability in the corridor drives the design.

LAKEFRONT WEST:
The Lakefront West Project is working to connect Cleveland's west side neighborhoods with Lake Erie by creating multi-modal connections along the West Shoreway (SR2 & USR6/20) between West Blvd. and the Main Ave. Bridge. The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the City of Cleveland have developed a strategy that maximizes the effectiveness of the available project budget and accommodates anticipated traffic volumes, while preserving the goals of the “Connecting Cleveland: The Waterfront District Plan.”

The project has been divided into Phases I and II in response to fiscal constraints. The proposed changes to the West Shoreway corridor will result in the following improvements:

At the West Boulevard/Lake Avenue/Clifton Boulevard area (Phases I & II)
• Reconfigure the intersection of West Boulevard and Lake Avenue to calm traffic and improve pedestrian safety (Phase II).
• Close the Edgewater Drive ramp and replace it with expanded park land (Phase II).
• Rehabilitate the existing pedestrian tunnel and provide ADA compliant access to Edgewater Park (Phase I).
• Add a supplemental multi-purpose trail adjacent to the Shoreway from West Boulevard to Edgewater Park. This multi-purpose trail is located along the Shoreway in lieu of a sidewalk (Phase II).

At West 76th Street (Phase I & II)
• Improve the connection to the beach and multi-purpose trail with new steps and a ramp between the underpasses to accommodate bicycles, strollers and wheelchairs, and a connecting trail to the beach and existing multi-purpose trail.
• Rehabilitate the tunnels under the Shoreway and railroad including improved lighting and drainage.
• This project is currently under construction with completion anticipated in the Fall of 2011.

At West 73rd Street (Phase I)
• Relocate a regional sanitary interceptor sewer currently located adjacent to the Norfolk Southern (NS) railroad tracks.
• Extend West 73rd Street by building a new bridge under the NS railroad tracks.
• Construct a new two-way road along the south side of the Shoreway between the extended West 73rd Street and Edgewater Park. This road will link with the existing ramps at Edgewater Park to provide full access to lower Edgewater Park and the Shoreway (the existing Edgewater Park bridge
will remain).
• Build a multi-purpose trail alongside the road to connect the Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood with Edgewater Park.

At West 65th Street (Phase II)
• Connect tthe existing multi-purpose trail to the new multipurpose trail.

At Division Avenue (Phase II)
• Construct a new at-grade intersection (right-in/right-out access).

At West 54th Street (Phase II)
• Construct a new at-grade intersection (right-in/right-out access). This work results in a cul-de-sac for Cass Avenue and removes some Cass Avenue pavement.

At West 49th Street/Herman Avenue (Phase II)
• Re-stripe the existing bridge to permit one lane of traffic in each direction. A two-way multipurpose trail will be provided and the sidewalks will remain. The existing decorative enhancements will remain.
• Maintain the entrances to the Cleveland Water Division plant and the Soap Box Derby track, and simplify the exit from/entrance to the Shoreway.At West 45th Street (Phase I)
• Simplify the right-in/right out access to the Shoreway.
• Construct a cul-de-sac at Tillman Avenue, making Tillman Avenue a two-way street entering from and exiting to West 49th Street. Unneeded pavement will be removed.

At West 28th Street and West 25th Street (Phase I)
• Close permanently the eastbound entrance ramp (from West 28th Street to the Main Avenue Bridge). The relocated access to the Shoreway eastbound for these drivers will be at the improved West 45th Street entrance.
• Remove the West Shoreway exit/entrance ramps at West 25th Street, relocating the access to West 28th Street. Widen the intersection of Detroit Avenue and West 28th Street to accommodate the traffic. The abandoned ramps between West 28th Street and West 25th Street will be filled in
(subject to utility requirements) andd made available for development.
• Reconfigure the Intersection of West 25th Street/Main Avenue/Washington Avenue to create a through movement for Main Avenue/West 25th Street traffic.
• Simplify the intersection of West 25th Street and Detroit Avenue.
• Widen Detroit Avenue between West 28th Street and West 25th Street, and widen West 28th Street to accommodate the new traffic plan.

Construct an off-road multi-purpose trail (Cleveland Lakefront Bikeway) from West 25th Street to West 65th Street (Phase II).

Reconstruct the US 6 West Shoreway pavement by reconfiguring the roadway to reflect a 35 mph speed limit, adding a landscaped median and removing the shoulders. US 6 will remain a six-lane roadway (Phase II).

LAKEFRONT WEST: Schedule
Phase I-A: Reconstruction and ADA compliance of West 76th and Clifton/Lake pedestrian tunnels.
• Tunnel work is currently being performed with completion in the fall of 2011.
Phase I-B: Grade separation at W. 73rd Street under NS tracks.
• Detail design is in progress.
• Construction is to start in the middle of 2014.

Phase I-C: West 25th/West 28th Ramps, West 45th Ramps, and Multi-purpose Trail (West 28th to West 25th)
• Detail design is in progress.
• Construction is anticipated to start in late 2014.

Phase II: Mainline reconstruction, Division Avenue Ramps, West 54th Street Ramps, Multi-purpose Trail (West Boulevard to Edgewater Park), West 49th Street Ramps, Herman Avenue Bridge, and West Boulevard Ramps.
• This unfunded portion will be led by the City of Cleveland.
• Schedule is to be determined.
• The speed limit reduction to 35 mph will occur at the completion of the mainline reconstruction. This reduction adds approximately 75 seconds to one’s commute along this section of the Shoreway.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2196
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Texting Zones in NY

Quote:
Governor Cuomo Unveils "Texting Zones" Along NYS Thruway and Highways for Drivers to Pull Over and Use Their Cell Phones: > click <.
A joke?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2197
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I doubt it.
Texting while driving's illegal in more and more places (and stupid everywhere, IMHO), so why not discourage it by designating places to park? I'm guessing it may be as simple as little parking places on the shoulder.

I'll be passing through about 300 miles of New York, including 100 or so of the Thruway, on Friday, so I'll check them out and report back.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #2198
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

It is illegal, of course. But designating special places for texting... Are there no simple resting places?

I think it's overacting.

g.spinoza liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2199
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Rest areas aren't as frequent on American highways as they are in, say, France. You might have to wait - gasp - 30 to 45 minutes before you can send that urgent "LOL!". Which is why I'm wondering if they've established little parking spaces on the shoulder. For all I know, they're just adding this to the existing rest-area signage. (As in "don't text now, idiot; you can pull into the service area in X miles.")

As I say, I'll know more on Friday.

As far as "overacting" is concerned, you'll note that there's an elected official and media involved.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

MichiH, g.spinoza liked this post
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #2200
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

In France there lay-by's every 10 km or so...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states