daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2241
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

SR-25 Hoosier Heartland Expressway

The last missing link of the State Route 25 - Hoosier Heartland Expressway in Indiana opened to traffic yesterday. State Route 25 runs from Lafayette (I-65) to Logansport (US 24) and the entire stretch is now four-lane. It's a limited-access, but not controlled access highway. There are a number of at-grade intersections. The most important part is the Delphi bypass. The expressway indirectly connects Lafayette with Fort Wayne.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2242
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CA-24 Caldecott Tunnel

The fourth tube of the Caldecott Tunnel in the San Francisco Bay Area will open in the weekend of November 16, likely Monday November 18. The CA-24 freeway runs through the tunnel from Oakland to Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County.

Article at the San Francisco Chronicle.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...er-4904222.php
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #2243
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The "Page Avenue extension" project in St. Charles County (suburban St. Louis). It extends State Route 364 as a freeway to I-64 near Lake St. Louis.
image hosted on flickr

D5725_CM_R3-66 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr
I was wondering what they'll do with the I-64 interchange, but I see that there's a short stub from the eastbound offramp. I suppose they'll build a semidirect connection from I-64 eastbound to MO 364. It'll have to go under the existing highway N mainline, though.

Maybe they'll do something interesting to maintain access to Technology drive, too.

Last edited by Tom 958; October 20th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM   #2244
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

A bit of a jump, we are heading for Grand Canyon

We are heading for the north rim:

Nice road

Side road to one of the viewpoints:

Heading back

US89 towards Page

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2245
ChrisZwolle
Road user

random photos of fall scenery.

image hosted on flickr

Fall Foliage by WVDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Forest HeritageScenic Byway by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

D5726_CM-145 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

D5726_CM-90 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #2246
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Ah, MDOT, never change. We finally get thrown a bone, a few shiny new brown signs up along the US 1 bypass around Bel Air, advertising "ROCK STATE PARK" at the next exit. Which is great, except that it's Rocks, not Rock. Always has been.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2247
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SR-99 Seattle

The SR-99 tunnel construction in Seattle. This photo with people gives a good impression of the huge diameter this tunnel has. It will be a double-deck tunnel, and is the first bored double-deck tunnel with normal freeway clearance. Other bored double-deck tunnels have limited clearance (particularly the A86 Duplex in Paris.)

image hosted on flickr

What Bertha leaves behind by WSDOT, on Flickr
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2248
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Geogregor, nice shots, it looks like you had a pretty grand adventure. Ya know, you could have tossed in a shot or two of the Canyon as well...

How did you like the driving experience out in the wide open US West, compared to what you find in Europe, generally?

Can't wait to see your shots of southern California and the PCH.

Cheers!
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #2249
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is a new partial bypass around Hillsborough, New Jersey. It is constructed as a super two, which is not even controlled access. How often are they building suburban roads like this? Most super twos are in rural areas and even then they seem pretty rare. The pavement / cross section seems wide enough for a typical suburban 4-lane arterial.

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #2250
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Where exactly is that? I pass through Hillborough all the time, between here and Mom's....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #2251
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Where exactly is that? I pass through Hillborough all the time, between here and Mom's....
http://goo.gl/maps/R0MoK

I wonder if it's on right of way bought for I-95 way back when...
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #2252
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Thanks.

Might be, although it seems to veer back to 206 as you move north. I think 95 was basically supposed to follow that northeast-and-southwest rail line. I've been keeping away from that stretch of 206 - strip-mall hell - for a good 20 years. I either use US 202, farther west, or CR 533, a bit to the east. depending on my mood.

That piece of 206 is the biggest piece of evidence that 95 should have been built, far as I'm concerned. Hillsborough Township (and Franklin Township, sort of between there and New Brunswick) were in favor; it was the more rural (then...) Montgomery and Hopewell townships, to the south and west, that stopped it.

Our northern Dutch friends will note the Harlingen Reformed Ceremony. That's a "Dutch Reformed" church that probably goes back to colonial days. (Assuming the church is still standing...)

To possibly answer Chris' question, if you follow CR 514 east toward Millstone, the bit that passes through "Borough Park" and the road intersecting it ("Somerset Courthouse Road") were both built within my memory of the area - more than 10 years ago, less than 20, I'd guess. Traffic wanting to go from 514 eastbound to 533 northbound or vice versa used to pass through (and make a turn at a traffic light in) Millstone.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 27th, 2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #2253
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInJersey View Post
Geogregor, nice shots, it looks like you had a pretty grand adventure. Ya know, you could have tossed in a shot or two of the Canyon as well...

How did you like the driving experience out in the wide open US West, compared to what you find in Europe, generally?

Can't wait to see your shots of southern California and the PCH.

Cheers!
Thanks!

I really like driving in the US. The wide opens West is so... well, different from Europe.
I do like driving in general, from narrow and twisted Irish roads to wide highways of the American west.

And yes, there will be plenty of shots from PCH
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #2254
Ders453

Likes (Received): 70

Infinita Highway` West

Ders453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #2255
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
The wide opens West is so... well, different from Europe
One word I like to describe Western America driving is foreign.
Old October 29th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2256
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Blacklands Turnpike, Texas

http://www.cottonbeltcorridor.com/

There's a proposal for a new turnpike in North Texas, the Blacklands Turnpike from Lavon to Greenville (northeast of Dallas). It would run parallel to I-30 at a distance of circa 4 - 5 miles. It would run along an abandoned railroad right of way.

It seems like a toll road to nowhere. Greenville is well served by I-30 and US 380 to a lesser extent. Furthermore, it is unlikely that this proposed toll road could be connected to the George Bush Turnpike, because SH 78 runs through developed land from Sachse to Lavon with no ROW preserved for a new freeway or toll road.

There's only very limited suburban development east of the two lakes, so any growth percentages are inflated due to the low base figures. In my opinion, it makes more sense to replace US 380 with a freeway from Greenville to Denton and widen I-30 to six lanes. There is almost no traffic along the proposed corridor, with only 2,000 - 4,000 vpd on FM 6 and less traffic on other local roads in the area. It makes more sense to preserve a right-of-way for a future toll road rather than to build one in the near future.
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #2257
GulfCoastal1

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrat437 View Post
That gas station is still in use today though it certainly doesn't look as asthetic today as it did back in the 1920's. The NYPD has a highway patrol unit across the road in the exact location of the trees in the background of this photo. The highway, the Grand Central Parkway is now as congested as all the other arterial highways in and around NYC.
That's an attractive gas station, too bad they aren't designed like this today, especially in urban areas.
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2258
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Illinois Route 390

Governor Quinn and Local Leaders Break Ground on $3.4 Billion Elgin O’Hare Western Access Project

Governor Pat Quinn, Illinois Tollway Executive Director Kristi Lafleur, Transportation Secretary Ann L. Schneider and DuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin today broke ground on the long-awaited Elgin O’Hare Western Access Project - the largest roadway project in the state and one of the largest in the nation. The $3.4 billion project includes 17 miles of new toll roads and 15 new or improved interchanges and will bring needed congestion relief, reduced travel times, new access to O’Hare International Airport and thousands of jobs for residents of the region.

The soon-to-be-reconstructed road - which was called the Elgin O’Hare Expressway - and the new roadway that will extend east along Thorndale Avenue to O'Hare, is now designated as Illinois Route 390. The roadway will be the first all-electronic toll road in Illinois.

The first phase of the Elgin O'Hare Western Access Project will widen and rehabilitate Illinois Route 390, including reconfiguring the interchange at I-290 and constructing a new interchange at Illinois Route 53 (Rohlwing Road). Much of this initial work is expected to be completed by the end of 2015, including six ramps for the new interchange at I-290. The full interchange is expected to be complete by the end of 2016. Work to extend the highway east to O’Hare Airport will be completed by 2018. In 2018, work will begin to construct a new toll road along the western edge of O’Hare International Airport that will connect the west-east roadway with the Tri-State Tollway (I-294) and then north to the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90). After the project is completed in 2025, up to 120,000 vehicles per day are expected to use the roadway.
full press release: http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleas...m?RecNum=11659

So the Elgin - O'Hare Expressway (EOE) is now officially numbered as State Route 390.
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #2259
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Interesting. Anyone know why it wasn't numbered from the start? Was it a county or local-government facility (but don't most if not all Illinois counties number their county roads?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2260
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
So the Elgin - O'Hare Expressway (EOE) is now officially numbered as State Route 390.
Like IL 394, and many other routes, that number is just trolling for blue-and-red shields.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states