daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2281
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

GA-400, Atlanta

Tolling will end on November 22 at the Georgia 400 toll road in Atlanta. The toll road opened in 1993, so tolls have existed for 20 years. GA-400 was the only general toll road in greater Atlanta, but there are also managed lanes on I-85 and more managed lanes are planned.

Critics fear a toll-free GA-400 will attract more traffic than its six lanes can handle. The southern terminus of GA-400 at the I-85 interchange had the most unpredictable travel time in the U.S. in 2011. The Travel Time Index only placed it as the 216th most congested roadway in the country.

image hosted on flickr

Looking south on GA 400 by x376, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:02 AM   #2282
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Tolling will end on November 22 at the Georgia 400 toll road in Atlanta...
Considering what I do for a living, it's odd that I rarely go that way, but today I had occasion to. One last toll for old times' sake. I wish I'd had time to take Roswell Road instead.

The tollbooths were jammed, too, northbound at 9am. Maybe people are bittersweet about not having to pay tolls anymore starting tomorrow.

Once the tolls are gone, there's little reason not to post US 19 along that route. But even if they do, everyone here in Atlanta will still call it 400.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2283
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 48, Corridor H, Scherr, WV

A new segment of Corridor H of the ADHS*, also known as US 48, opens to traffic near Scherr, West Virginia.

ADHS = Appalachian Developmental Highway System.

Corridor H is not a freeway, but rather a high quality 4-lane divided highway. Some parts are indicated with freeway signs though.

This is in the general area (the windfarm is near Scherr).
image hosted on flickr

From Corridor H West by Peter Skowronski, on Flickr
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2284
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Will GA 400/US 19 an Interstate number in the future? 785?
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2285
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Georgia 400 is now toll-free. This guy is really happy he doesn't have to pay the 50 cents anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Will GA 400/US 19 an Interstate number in the future? 785?
I-675?
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2286
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Georgia 400 is now toll-free. This guy is really happy he doesn't have to pay the 50 cents anymore.

I-675?
Wouldn't GA 400 have to actually connect to I-75 for it to have that number?

If anything I would go with I-585 or I-385.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2287
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Hell, call it I-485. We already have I-520, which makes a loop around Augusta and should therefore have an even-first-digit number. At least 485 has a resemblance to 400, which people will still call it no matter what the signs say.

On a semi-related topic, construction continues on the ramps connecting I-85 and GA 400 in the north-to-north directions. Once completed, there will be three lane-drop offramps from I-85 southbound in the space of a quarter mile. It'll be interesting to see how they sign it, especially with the extra-huge FHWA font that GDOT has been switching to. [facepalm]

EDIT: Here are some overhead views (.pdf).

The ramp from GA 13 northbound to I-85 northbound was built for one lane, then restriped for two many years ago. Unfortunately, the added lane extends all the way to the onramp from Cheshire Bridge, which creates a forced merge on a ramp that's entirely too short for it given its heavy usage and uphill gradient. When I drove through on 85 the other day, I noticed that the existing bridge is being widened only slightly there, which presumably means that the GA13-I-85 ramp will go back to being one lane. I'm also guessing hoping that the fourth northbound lane of I-85, added rather arbitrarily on the right just after the 400 split, will be striped away so as to allow each entrance ramp its own lane on I-85, including the one from Cheshire Bridge.

Last edited by Tom 958; November 24th, 2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added photo link and boring commentary
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2288
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Calling it I-585 would create much too confusion due to the proximity to already-existing I-575, also a spur to the northern exurbs.

Calling it I-385 would exhaust all the low number spurs for I-85 between Columbus and Atlanta, unless it would be okay to go out of order and give an I-585 designation to a hypothetical spur of I-185 in Columbus or I-85 in the southern Atlanta metro.

Using 785 as the route number would prevent either possible problem but then would create a conflict with any hypothetical plans convert GA-316 into an interstate spur all the way to Athens.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #2289
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Hell, call it I-485. We already have I-520, which makes a loop around Augusta and should therefore have an even-first-digit number. At least 485 has a resemblance to 400, which people will still call it no matter what the signs say.
Since 400 has two Interstate connections (85 and 285), 485 would work without a problem.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2290
ChrisZwolle
Road user

NC-12 Bonner Bridge

Bonner Bridge to Close Immediately

To protect the traveling public, the N.C. Department of Transportation has closed the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge over the Oregon Inlet on N.C. 12 along the Outer Banks today due to immediate safety concerns.

Routine sonar scanning of the bridge identified scouring concerns, or areas where too much sand has eroded from the support structure of the bridge. As NCDOT crews continued to monitor these conditions, inspections revealed additional areas of concern, which led department officials to decide to close the bridge immediately for the safety of all residents and visitors of the area. The bridge will remain closed until the department can bring in additional resources to inspect the bridge and make necessary repairs to fortify the structure. NCDOT has declared a state of emergency as a way of expediting the process and steps are already underway to begin repair work as soon as possible.

The Bonner Bridge is the only highway access for vehicles between Hatteras Island and the mainland. Until it is safe to reopen, The NCDOT Ferry Division will provide emergency support to move people and cars across the Pamlico Sound.

For decades, NCDOT has known the Bonner Bridge stands on borrowed time and needs to be replaced. NCDOT awarded a contract to a design-build team to replace the bridge in August 2011. Design work began immediately and construction of the replacement bridge was originally set to begin in early 2013. All work is currently on hold following a series of legal challenges by the Southern Environmental law center on behalf of the Defenders of Wildlife and National Wildlife Refuge Association.

This sounds quite serious. I've been following the Bonner Bridge project for a while now, and the bridge was constructed over an inlet with high erosion (not to mention hurricanes). When constructed in 1963, it had a projected lifespan of 30 years, so a replacement is already 20 years overdue. NCDOT will begin construction of a replacement bridge as soon as it is legally able to do so.

The bridge carries 4,500 vehicles per day, but the emergency ferry has a capacity of only 760 vehicles per day.
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #2291
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Is that traffic count an average for the year? Because I'd guess traffic is far higher there in the summer than the rest of the year, so for all I know 760 per day is enough in December....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2292
ChrisZwolle
Road user

WA-99 Alaskan Way Viaduct replacement tunnel

image hosted on flickr

The light at the beginning of the tunnel … gets further away by WSDOT, on Flickr
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2293
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Cool bridge in Pasadena, California. The smaller one opened 100 years ago.

image hosted on flickr

The old Colorado Street Bridge, Pasadena by Flickr 7500, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

I-275westcoastfl, Ukraine liked this post
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #2294
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CA-11

Construction begins today on a new freeway near San Diego, California. State Route 11 will provide a 2.7 mile 4-lane freeway from Otay Mesa to a new Port of Entry (POE) at the border with Mexico.

The 2.7 mile freeway costs $ 700 million, half of that is actual construction of the road, the rest goes to the border crossing itself. Phase I began today, which includes a large freeway interchange with CA-125 and CA-905. This stage costs $ 112 million.

Old December 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2295
sotonsi

what I don't get is why CA125 doesn't go the existing border, with I-905 going to the new truck facility.

Instead, CA11 appears and creates a weird numbering thing.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2296
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I think the same. CA-125 should end at current Otay Mesa border crossing and I-905 should go to the new crossing. Besides that, it frees up the number 11 so in the event of an I-11 extension to Mount Shasta or Oregon (it still would go thru NE California anyway) no roads would be renumbered. Caltrans doesn't like duplicating numbers, that is why I-180 doesn't exist (Because of CA-180) and I-238 exists (Though I-480 has been free for a while now).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

bozenBDJ liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2297
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Caltrans doesn't object to reusing numbers, though. I believe if you go back about 30 years, Cal. 11 was the Pasadena and Harbor freeways. Idle thought: I wonder how long they wait before reusing a decommissioned number so as to avoid confusing people.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2298
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CA-91 Riverside Freeway

The groundbreaking ceremony of the expansion of State Route 91, or Riverside Freeway, was conducted today. The project will run through 2017 and will widen the CA-91 to 14 through lanes, including 2x2 tolled express lanes. The project cost is $ 1.3 billion.

Project site: http://www.sr91project.info

Old December 12th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #2299
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

It would be nice if they decided to incorporate rail with this widening project. I wonder why this is rarely thought of for freeway expansion projects.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2300
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That would be prohibitively expensive. Most of the mainline freeway widening is possible within the existing right-of-way without needing to reconstruct the entire freeway. Besides, there already is a railroad running parallel to CA-91.

Tags
united states