daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2321
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They say CA-1 is better southbound, because then you drive on the ocean side, where all the parking areas are as well.
It all depends from the time of day. In the mid day you drive against the sun going southbound.
You are right that it's easier to park oceanside but to be honest it is not a big deal going northbound either.
I've done it in both directions
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2322
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
It all depends from the time of day. In the mid day you drive against the sun going southbound.
You are right that it's easier to park oceanside but to be honest it is not a big deal going northbound either.
I've done it in both directions
I did it southbound in November, and I found that I was taking pictures into the sun all afternoon which kind of sucked. Both directions are beautiful, but if I did it again, I'd drive it northbound.

I'd like to do the bit north of San Francisco next time. I am also becoming curious about the Lost Coast section in the far north part of the state:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Coast
Old December 30th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2323
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I'd like to do the bit north of San Francisco next time. I am also becoming curious about the Lost Coast section in the far north part of the state:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Coast
I travelled there about 10 years ago and it was one of the most fascinating parts of the US I ever visited (together with the Oregon coast)

Sadly, it was before I seriously started taking pictures during my trips
Old December 31st, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2324
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Another bridge demolition, this time in Tennessee, State Route 49 near Ashland City (not far west of Nashville).

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2325
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 75 Dallas, TX

TxDOT Approves Funding for US 75 Expansion

In an ongoing effort to enhance state roadways and improve safety, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) approved a contract to expand US 75 from a six-lane freeway to an eight-lane highway from Spring Creek Parkway in Plano to SH 121 (Sam Rayburn Tollway) in McKinney.

The project is six and a half miles in length and will include drainage, traffic signals, signs and pavement markings.

The project was approved at the Transportation Commission meeting in December and was awarded to MCM for $47.5 million.

The construction start date will be established in upcoming meetings between TxDOT and the contractor.
Press release: http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-.../115-2013.html
Old December 31st, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2326
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Ok, that's it for now. I have a lot of photos but I don't want to overload the thread.
I'll post them on other days.
Thanks for the nice pics - even in the fall/winter, that's a spectacular piece of roadway.

A quick tale : In August of 1975, my new bride & I moved to Sacramento, I wanted to finish college as far away from the east coast as possible. A buddy had moved to LA earlier in the summer, so soon after arriving we took I-5 down there, stayed at his place in Hollywood for a few days, hit Disneyland, Griffith Observatory, Mulholland Drive, etc etc. For some un-remembered reason, we headed north again in the middle of an afternoon, up 101.

Around San Luis Obispo, we decided to take the coast road. BAM! as soon as the sun went down, we hit dense fog that I crept through at about 7 miles an hour, hugging the right lane and peering hopefully at the white edge line, for what seemed like the entire night. I think we finally headed inland way up around Santa Cruz or somewhere like that at about 3 in the morning. So one of the most beautiful roads in the world, I drove in complete darkness and fog. Sheesh...

Last edited by JimInJersey; January 1st, 2014 at 10:55 PM.
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:32 AM   #2327
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInJersey View Post
Thanks for the nice pics - even in the fall/winter, that's a spectacular piece of roadway.

A quick tale : In August of 1975, my new bride & I moved to Sacramento, I wanted to finish college as far away from the east coast as possible. A buddy had moved to LA earlier in the summer, so soon after arriving we took I-5 down there, stayed at his place in Hollywood for a few days, hit Disneyland, Griffith Observatory, Mulholland Drive, etc etc. For some un-remembered reason, we headed north again in the middle of an afternoon, up 101.

Around San Luis Obispo, we decided to take the coast road. BAM! as soon as the sun went down, we hit dense fog that I crept through at about 7 miles an hour, hugging the right lane and peering hopefully at the white edge line, for what seemed like the entire night. I think we finally headed inland way up around Santa Cruz or somewhere like that at about 3 in the morning. So one of the most beautiful roads in the world, I drove in complete darkness and fog. Sheesh...
This road can be quite dangerous, especially during winter storms which can wash parts of it away.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 08:52 PM   #2328
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Loop 375, El Paso, TX

The managed lanes or toll express lanes opened to traffic along Loop 375 in El Paso, Texas. They runs from I-110/US 54 to Zaragoza Road. This segment of freeway runs adjacent to the border with Mexico.

The freeway was widened from 4 to 6 lanes, with the new lanes being toll lanes. This is the first time express lanes were added to an only 4-lane freeway. According to TxDOT, the 2012 AADT on this stretch was only 32,000 - 34,000 vehicles per day, which makes you wonder why they widened this freeway in the first place.

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #2329
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Hahaha! I love how they call it "Cesar Chavez Toll Lanes", Mr. Chavez being notable unionist of a certain questionable economic view

2 lanes in median of a 6 lane make little sense, probably with only painted white line seperators, probably the toll cameras will cost more than the toll revenue.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #2330
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SR-293, Mid-Bay Connector, Florida

The "Mid-Bay Connector" in the Florida panhandle opens to traffic today. The new toll road is a controlled-access super two bypass of Niceville and allows quick access to the Mid-Bay Bridge and Destin from the north. Travelers can avoid 14 traffic signals.

Old January 6th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #2331
geogregor

More of California Route 1

Old January 6th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #2332
geogregor

Old January 6th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #2333
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How much traffic on CA-1 would be tourist traffic? The traffic volumes are very low around the Big Sur and there are almost no towns or villages.
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #2334
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ Great light on your photos of the Bixby Creek Bridge. Did you go all the way up to SF on the PCH, or did you cut up to San Jose at Santa Cruz?
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #2335
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How much traffic on CA-1 would be tourist traffic? The traffic volumes are very low around the Big Sur and there are almost no towns or villages.
I would say wast majority. Maybe even 80%. Almost everyone seems to be stopping here and there to take pictures. But that was on Sunday, maybe during the week there are fewer tourists but I doubt if the drop is huge.
Maybe out of season (February?) locals dominate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
^ Great light on your photos of the Bixby Creek Bridge. Did you go all the way up to SF on the PCH, or did you cut up to San Jose at Santa Cruz?
I went all the way to SF, more pictures to follow soon
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #2336
geogregor

Here it is last few before flying out from SF

I wonder how often they have to repair this road...

Old January 7th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #2337
geogregor

Classic shot

Can someone explain why in the US during roadworks usually it's people who direct the traffic?
In Europe we mostly use automatic temporary lights.

And last shot from this trip:

For more you have to wait at least until April
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #2338
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Driving in a pickup truck with dog in the back, such a simple activity, but it is freedom

I would probably slow down very much, drift a bit to right side and run over that stupid flag-silhouette

In N America it is normal to have the two guys with slow / stop sign, it is more efficient and people will always follow them. Where I live, I see more and more use of the automatic light, but especially on a shorter zone, often you end up facing red and on the other side you can see everything is clear. So you say to hell with it and go, but then you risk a large fine as it counts as a red light.

Actually thinking of it, I have only ever seen automatic-type in Canada where there are no people at all (no construction happening)...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #2339
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These exact things have become very common in the Netherlands in the last few years. Many residential streets and school zones have them (the English language version).

Old January 7th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #2340
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Classic shot

....)
Classic plate! Haven't seen one of those in years - they stopped issuing those in the early 80s or late 70s, I'd guess, in favor of the "sunset" plate (that you'd see in the opening theme of LA Law), which was one of my all-time favorite plates.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states