daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #2341
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Here it is last few before flying out from SF
I wonder how often they have to repair this road...
Very rarely.

I don't recall the last time that particular stretch of Highway 1 was closed due to a landslide or washout. The stretch of Highway 1 around Devils Slide (just south of Pacifica) was the only section that was routinely closed due to slides. Fortunately, the new bypass tunnels were opened in late 2013 so closures of Highway 1 between San Francisco and Half Moon Bay should become a thing of the past.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #2342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

TX-121 DFW connector

DFW Connector

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ukraine, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #2343
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Rather anticlimatic compared to huge Texas freeways, but... The Herrington Road bridge over GA 316 is still in its original condition from 1960, but when the 85/316 interchange was rebuilt a few years ago (see here and here , new barriers were built some distance (eight feet, maybe?) from the bent columns, even though clearances are tight eastbound since an auxiliary lane was added from the Boggs Road onramp to the Sugarloaf Parkway offramp. You can really see it on Google. It appears that the barriers are intended to enable replacement of the bents without having to rely on temporary barriers to protect the workers during demolition and reconstruction. So, are they temporary permanent barriers or permanent temporary barriers?

Oh, wow... the 'before' view:

Last edited by Tom 958; January 9th, 2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added stuff
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #2344
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
For more you have to wait at least until April
Do you live in the US? Because you have so many pictures from everywhere.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #2345
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Do you live in the US? Because you have so many pictures from everywhere.
No, but I go there every year on holiday to escape this small overcrowded island I now call home
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #2346
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Can someone explain why in the US during roadworks usually it's people who direct the traffic?
In Europe we mostly use automatic temporary lights.
[IMG]
Safety regulations, union regulations, gov't make-work projects, and, mostly, nepotism. The usual quota, at least here in the east of the US, is 7 shovel-leaners-on to every digger. Road building contractors have a long history of political connections. After all, if you have dippy brother-in-law, what better job for him than holding a sign with "stop" on one side and "slow" on the other...

Here is south Jersey, it's not uncommon to see three, four, or even more workers following along behind some kind of road machine with brooms, sweeping up dust (or creating it..). It generally takes a crew of at least four to place cones - a driver, a guy sitting next to him with a walkie talkie, one guy dropping the cones on the road, and one guy passing the cones to him. They usually do it slowly enough so that by the time they finish a stretch, it's time to go back to the start and begin picking up.
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #2347
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Maybe THAT's why they rearranged the George Washington Bridge approaches: to make work for cone-movers!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #2348
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Maybe THAT's why they rearranged the George Washington Bridge approaches: to make work for cone-movers!
In this state, stranger things have happened. In my town, we had an old counterweight-operated metal draw bridge over a stretch of wetland/river, about 60 or so feet bank to bank. Must have been 80 years old. It was replaced back around 2005 or so - construction lasted almost three years, I kid you not. Two lanes of plain old concrete over a couple of piers. Took more time than the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. Contractor was probably paid by the hour...
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #2349
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInJersey View Post
It generally takes a crew of at least four to place cones - a driver, a guy sitting next to him with a walkie talkie, one guy dropping the cones on the road, and one guy passing the cones to him.
Arizona does it this way, with a driver an a "cone dropper".
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #2350
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Google Maps now shows the freeway portion of TX-99/Grand Parkway open between US 290 and the Westpark Tollway. Is that correct?
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #2351
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, it opened to traffic on December 21, 2013.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258 liked this post
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2352
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Google Maps now shows the freeway portion of TX-99/Grand Parkway open between US 290 and the Westpark Tollway. Is that correct?
Nice, too bad it's a tollway but I guess better than nothing. Hopefully the speed limit is 75 or higher.

All over Texas the speed limits are 75 and above on many highways but when it comes to the DFW and Houston area they're 70 and and below it seems. I wonder why.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #2353
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Nice, too bad it's a tollway but I guess better than nothing. Hopefully the speed limit is 75 or higher.

All over Texas the speed limits are 75 and above on many highways but when it comes to the DFW and Houston area they're 70 and and below it seems. I wonder why.
You get more traffic in the same roadspace if it's travelling at a slower speed. It also allows design standards such as weaving distances, merges, forward visibility and so on to be reduced which can reduce land-take of new highways.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #2354
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfreelancealot View Post
You get more traffic in the same roadspace if it's travelling at a slower speed. It also allows design standards such as weaving distances, merges, forward visibility and so on to be reduced which can reduce land-take of new highways.
But traffic naturally moves slower as the density increases, and shorter weaves and merges will reduce the traffic capacity
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #2355
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
That doesn't really make sense to me. The new tollways in the Austin(183A, SH45 and SH130) area have 75 and 80mph speed limits and traffic flows beautifully. Highways are made to get people places faster not slower. If I had it my way tollways would have no speed limit.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2356
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, it opened to traffic on December 21, 2013.
Nice. I wish they could convert SH 6/FM 1960 into a partial freeway. That would give Houston an astounding five (5) beltways.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #2357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In 100 years, I-35 and I-20 will be Houston's outer beltway

FM 2258 liked this post
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #2358
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
You get more traffic in the same roadspace if it's travelling at a slower speed.
What speed would maximize the saturation flow rate?
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #2359
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Phoenix Area Projects for 2014

Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) in the Scottsdale area

ADOT is due to start work by fall on a project to add one new lane in each direction along Loop 101 between Shea Boulevard and the Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway). The new lanes will help improve traffic flow along that busy stretch of the Pima Freeway. ADOT also will add a new layer of smooth rubberized asphalt along the project’s entire 10-mile stretch south of Shea to the Red Mountain Freeway.

Loop 303 between Interstate 10 and Grand Avenue (US 60)

The ongoing series of projects to modernize the older two-lane Loop 303 into a six-lane freeway south of Grand Avenue will be completed during 2014. Drivers already are using a dozen miles of new lanes opened by ADOT in the area stretching from Thomas Road north to near Grand Avenue. Improvements this year will concentrate on finishing the project between Camelback Road and Glendale Avenue by summer and completing the $145 million Loop 303/Interstate 10 interchange south of McDowell Road in Goodyear by fall.

Loop 303 between Grand Avenue and Happy Valley Parkway in northwest Valley

A project to widen the current four-lane Loop 303 into a six-lane freeway along a four-mile stretch between Grand Avenue and Happy Valley Parkway in the northwest Valley is expected to start by the fall. Crews also will start work on a new interchange linking Loop 303 and El Mirage Road. A separate project, also scheduled to start by fall, will reconstruct the interchange linking Loop 303 and Grand Avenue. That new interchange will feature ramps traveling below ground level to allow improved connections between the two roadways.

State Route 24 (Gateway Freeway) in southeast Mesa

By spring, ADOT will open the new "freeway-to-freeway interchange" linking the Loop 202 Santan Freeway with the first mile of State Route 24 (Gateway Freeway) in southeast Mesa. The new connections will allow drivers to travel between Loop 202 and Ellsworth Road, providing faster access to areas around Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport. The city of Mesa issued bonds to accelerate the construction schedule for the project by several years.

New Loop 101 HOV-Lane Ramps near Westgate in Glendale

A project that started last October will connect ramps via the Loop 101 HOV lanes to the center of the Maryland Avenue bridge near University of Phoenix Stadium. The new ramps will add access points for the Westgate area, Jobing.com Arena and the stadium. They will be completed this spring, well ahead of the Arizona Cardinals' 2014 season and Super Bowl XLIX in 2015.

Interstate 10 Interchange at Perryville Road in West Valley

Crews will break ground this spring on a project to add on- and off-ramps to provide an I-10 interchange at Perryville Road at the boundary between Goodyear and Buckeye.

Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway

ADOT expects to release the Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the proposed South Mountain Freeway later this year, at which time a 60-day public review period will begin. The freeway would run east and west along Pecos Road and then turn north between 55th and 63rd avenues, connecting with I-10 on each end. The South Mountain Freeway is also part of the Regional Transportation Plan funding passed by Maricopa County voters in 2004 through Proposition 400.
Full press release: http://www.azdot.gov/media/News/news...ntinue-in-2014
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #2360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Mountain Parkway, Kentucky

Governor Beshear releases plan for extending, four-laning Mountain Parkway

Governor Steve Beshear today released his proposal for accomplishing a project long-awaited by Eastern Kentuckians and given new urgency by shifts in the region’s economy – the widening, modernizing and extension of the Mountain Parkway.

To accomplish that, the new Kentucky Highway Plan that Gov. Beshear will recommend to the 2014 General Assembly includes a series of projects, totaling $753.6 million, by which the Mountain Parkway would be widened and thoroughly modernized by 2020.

The Mountain Parkway, built more than 50 years ago, runs west to east for 75.6 miles, from Interstate 64 near Winchester to Salyersville. Like Kentucky’s other seven parkways and the former Kentucky Turnpike, it originally was a toll road.

The westernmost 45.8 miles of the Mountain Parkway, from Winchester to Campton, has long been four lanes. But the remainder, a 29.8-mile section that runs through Wolfe, Morgan and Magoffin counties, is two lanes, with an occasional passing lane. The Governor’s plan would make that section – from Campton to Salyersville – a four-lane highway.

It would then extend the Parkway from Salyersville to Prestonsburg by four-laning 16.2 miles of two connecting routes – U.S. 460 and Ky. 114. At Prestonsburg, the new Parkway would connect with four-lane U.S. 23 – creating a modern, four-lane corridor all the way from I-64 near Winchester to Pikeville.

To finance the Mountain Parkway projects, the Recommended Highway Plan proposes to use $595.6 million of conventional state and federal highway funds over the next six years and $158 million from the sale of toll revenue bonds. Although a tolling plan has not yet been devised, it is expected that tolls would be collected on the entire parkway, from Winchester to Prestonsburg.
Full press release: http://migration.kentucky.gov/Newsro...115mtnpkwy.htm

Tolling the parkway will not be popular. The toll share is relatively small, but volumes on the Mountain Parkway are low, so it would take a lot of time to pay back those $ 158 million in toll revenue bonds.

Tags
united states