daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #221
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Thanks for the Penn. roads pictures!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #222
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Thanks!

Some more driving around...This time I stayed very close to Harrisburg. Down Front Street which runs alongside the Susquehanna River. Then across the river, onto US Route 15 and then back home via the Pennsylvania Turnpike which is also I-76.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The first part of Front St. is two way- a bit later it goes to one-way.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Crossing the Susquehanna River- It's about a mile wide at this point.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

On the other side of the river- a tree trimming operation...
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A bit further on, I'm on route 15 approaching the Pennsylvania Turnpike...
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Entering the Turnpike.
image hosted on flickr

A Pennsylvania State Police car:
image hosted on flickr

On the Penn Pike- a narrow interstate for sure
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Coming upon my exit...
image hosted on flickr

Entering the new Turnpike Bridge over the Susquehanna River- with the Turnpike's newer sign supports...
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #223
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Nice report, Billpa, I guess this was on your day off

By the way, is it an American habit to change the German names they use? I mean, Frankfort is the capital of Kentucky, and in this report there is an "Erford Road" (though they also changed the t with a d )
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #224
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Yes I was off today .
There are certainly a lot of spellings that are just a bit off from the "Olde Country".
There are likely good stories behind those changes- but I sure don't know 'em
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #225
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Great report and pictures! Thanks very much

I drove PA turnpike between Scranton and Philly and I must admit it looks more or less the same: narrow with concrete barrier and not very good pavement for a toll road. Although comparing it still looks very good in Harrisburg area.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #226
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Interesting pictures.

"Harrisburg East". Is that the name of a road or exit?

I'm not too happy with "Carlisle" being the only control city for I-81 south. First, it's a small town, and kind of dwarfed by Harrisburg on maps probably. They should pick something further away, problem is the first really large city is quite far to the south, probably too far to make sense already near Harrisburg. I mean Knoxville. And Knoxville is not along I-81. Roanoke is also a bit too far away to sign yet. Maybe Hagerstown.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #227
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
"Harrisburg East". Is that the name of a road or exit?
It is an interchange name. The Pennsylvania Turnpike has used interchange names in this general style since it opened in 1940.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #228
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Thanks again! Pennslilvania seemes to be nice!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #229
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
It is an interchange name. The Pennsylvania Turnpike has used interchange names in this general style since it opened in 1940.
I really like it. It's also easy to refer to in traffic information. As you probably know, several European countries have official names for all exits.
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #230
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm not too happy with "Carlisle" being the only control city for I-81 south. First, it's a small town, and kind of dwarfed by Harrisburg on maps probably. They should pick something further away, problem is the first really large city is quite far to the south, probably too far to make sense already near Harrisburg. I mean Knoxville. And Knoxville is not along I-81. Roanoke is also a bit too far away to sign yet. Maybe Hagerstown.

The bigger towns along 81 after Harrisburg are Carlisle, Chambersburg, Hagerstown, Md Martinsburg, WV and Harrisonburg and Roanoke, VA. Not exactly Boston, NY, Philly, Baltimore and DC
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #231
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Carlisle is there because there are some pretty big car events there every year.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #232
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19211

@ Billpa

Little technical question.
How do you take such great pictures while driving? Do you hold camera in your hand or have some sort of device to fix it to the windscreen/windshield?

I'm planning big driving tour of western USA this May/June and I would like to take some pictures. But I don't want to manipulate my camera while driving.
Where can you buy mounting for cameras which you can use inside a car?
I mean something like holder for GPS unit.
Best Buy?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #233
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Carlisle is there because there are some pretty big car events there every year.
'Carlisle' is also the well-known official name of a major interchange on the PA Turnpike.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #234
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Haha thats probably the main reason, I just know Carlisle from the auto events there.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #235
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Great pictures. Thanks for posting those!
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #236
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
@ Billpa

Little technical question.
How do you take such great pictures while driving? Do you hold camera in your hand or have some sort of device to fix it to the windscreen/windshield?

I'm planning big driving tour of western USA this May/June and I would like to take some pictures. But I don't want to manipulate my camera while driving.
Where can you buy mounting for cameras which you can use inside a car?
I mean something like holder for GPS unit.
Best Buy?

I should do a better job but I just adjust the zoom to where I like it and pick the camera up when I want to shoot- I hold it at the top of the steering wheel- and I never shoot when I'm passing someone or if I'm getting passed.
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #237
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Nice shots of the "new PA turnpike" , Now if you Pennsylvanians could just update the whole length then i would feel safe on driving or riding on it. On Tuesday I'll be on it , as i go on Winter Break Vacation to my Ant's 48 acre Farm in Chester County and take 2 day visit to Lancaster, where i spent my Childhood at on Vacations!
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #238
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

OK, we'll get right on that.
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #239
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I made this post for another forum, but it suits here too;

I noticed Wyoming has an extreme amount of concurrencies along US Highways. Some road numbers are running concurrent for over 2/3rds of their route.

Number: total length: concurrent: percentage:
US 14, 451 miles, 280 miles, 62%
US 16, 468 miles, 296 miles, 63%
US 18, 98 miles, 88 miles, 90%
US 20, 524 miles, 436 miles, 83%
US 26, 471 miles, 369 miles, 78%
US 30, 449 miles, 345 miles, 77%
US 85, 255 miles, 65 miles, 25%
US 87, 356 miles, 356 miles, 100%
US 89, 247 miles, 147 miles, 60%
US 189, 202 miles, 71 miles, 35%
US 191, 354 miles, 193 miles, 55%
US 287, 491 miles, 306 miles, 62%

As you can see, most routes are over 60% concurrent with another USH or IH, and US 87 is even completely concurrent with I-25 and I-90 throughout the state. Especially the Yellowstone National Park area is a mess, with sometimes 4 US Highways running concurrent.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM   #240
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

WA-26

Two weeks ago my wife and I made a trip to Seattle, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to take some pictures along the non-motorway stretch which consists of WA-195 (25 km) and the entire length of WA-26 (214 km). This is the fastest way to get to Seattle from Pullman, although more than half of the way consists of 2x1 highways. So, here we go

Here, it is still Pullman. We are heading toward WA-195 which is 3 km away:

This is WA-195. This is the main road that connects Lewiston, Pullman and Spokane. The land is used exclusively to grow wheat. Hence, the county name Whitman. This landscape persists almost throughout the entire way to Spokane. The speed limit is 100 km/h:

Now, we are entering Colfax - a small conservative city with one Main street. The speed limit drops to 72 km/h on approach and then to 40 km/h past the city limit boundaries. As a word of advise, you better slow down exactly to 40 km/h because local police is vigorously enforcing the speed limit:

After turning left on WA-26 past Colfax city centre, here is what we see. The start of the damned road. Why "damned"? Because there I received 2 traffic citations and my car broke down once at 22:00. The traffic density is pretty low there, and it is not uncommon to see 1-2 cars in 15 minutes at that time. Plus, it is extremely boring to drive there for 2-2.5 hours. Technically, this is the end of WA-26, but for us it's only the beginning...

For some reason, in Oregon and Washington, two solid centre lines are set farer apart unlike in California and Nevada. After moving to WA, it seemed weird to me, but then I got used to it.

Pretty much self-explanatory...

The speed limit increases to 105 km/h. Not bad for a 2x1 highway, I must say. However, Montana and Nevada (maybe Texas?) have even higher speed limits of 112 km/h for 2x1 roads.

Washtucna is one of the two villages that are located on 214-km stretch of WA-26. If your car breaks down somewhere in between, good luck to you. Vantage is the end point of WA-26, so we still have 188 km to go...

As you can see, the destination signs on this highway are not very consistent because every other sign shows every other city, but Seattle (the final point of destination) is shown quite often.

Our GPS unit was not very helpful in terms of giving us the fastest route, but it was nice to check our speed with it. Still 415 km to go till Seattle...

This type of landscape is very typical to the entire Eastern Washington (East of the Cascade Mountains, that is)

Here, we are approaching the US-395 interchange. It is a motorway that connects Tri Cities with Spokane. US-395 starts near Los Angeles and runs all the way up to Canada through California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.

On the overpass. The directional signs in Washington are quite clear and well-understood unlike in California.

"Go Cougs" is meant to cheer up the fans of the Washington State University whose official symbol is cougar. Never mind that the university is 150 km away

An interesting forest formation near Othello

This road also leads to Pasco (Tri Cities) and serves Othello residents because the US-395 is quite far from here

Othello is easily recognisable by its water tower which is the tallest building in the city. The speed limit drops from 105 km/h to 100 km/h and then to 80 km/h in Othello.

Some roadside services in Othello.

Petrol station in Royal City. Foreigners might be amused by the gigantic American flag at the ordinary petrol station, but it is a usual sight in this neck of the woods. In conservative parts of America (aka Jesusland), people are very proud of their country. The more middle of nowhere they live in, the more proud they are, hence the bigger flag

The secondary road on the right is often used as the hideout of the Washington State Patrol because they can easily observe the uphill traffic on this 2+1 road. They caught me here driving 115 km/h and gave me my third (and last) ticket in Washington back in May last year.

This lake is actually Columbia River widened by the dam downstream. This is almost the end of WA-26, and behind the corner you will see the I-90.

To take the I-90 West, we keep left.

These pictures were taken at the same place on our way back from Seattle. The time of the day was very good for photographing. The landscape reminds Wild West in Hollywood movies a bit.

Not a bad-looking bridge that carries I-90 over Columbia River.

The beginning of WA-26. We still have 240 km to go to get back home...

As I said, this road is very boring, and yet the majority of motorists drive at or below the speed limit due to very strict police enforcement. In Washington, all police agencies - state patrol, sheriff and local police - use WA-26 as a source of budget income, and I see at least one stopped car every time I drive on this road. Radar detectors, although legal in WA, will not help much because the traffic density is very low, so police will turn radar on when you are too close to slow down. Very often, state patrolmen drive in unmarked Chevy and Dodge, so you can only recognise them when the radar detector starts beeping 50 metres away. You are guaranteed to get a ticket if you are driving 10+ km/h over the limit.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states