daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #2401
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A two-lane road has no problem handling traffic in the 10 -15k range, the main issue would be capacity at traffic signals. For example the bridge at Hastings carried 30k before it was replaced by a four-lane span. Roads with 10,000 vehicles per day are often twinned if they carry a high truck share or substantial long-distance traffic (divided highways are safer) but twinning is often ommited if traffic volumes are only briefly above 10,000 vpd or if it is expensive to widen (in case of a bridge or tunnel).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #2402
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A two-lane road has no problem handling traffic in the 10 -15k range, the main issue would be capacity at traffic signals. For example the bridge at Hastings carried 30k before it was replaced by a four-lane span. Roads with 10,000 vehicles per day are often twinned if they carry a high truck share or substantial long-distance traffic (divided highways are safer) but twinning is often ommited if traffic volumes are only briefly above 10,000 vpd or if it is expensive to widen (in case of a bridge or tunnel).
The road has no problem but the drivers definitely have the problem

I think 10 000 vpd is usually a warrant for 4-lane freeway in areas here. I know in Alberta they will put a divided expressway at least for it, and here we'd put 2x2 freeway. That said it isn't always done, there's one horrible 2-lane farm road here with 50 000 vpd and lights, jammed at all times
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #2403
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Columbia–Wrightsville Bridge, Pennsylvania

The old Lincoln Highway Bridge across the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. It opened in 1930.

image hosted on flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

geometarkv liked this post
Old February 18th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #2404
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Gateway Express, Florida

A new toll road has been announced for Pinellas County, Florida. It will be a tolled connection between the Bayside Bridge, US 19 and I-275. I couldn't find a good project website, but it will apparently cost $ 330 million and construction is planned for 2017-2022.

News article with video: http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/artic...inellas-County

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

geometarkv, I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #2405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No love for roundabouts in the U.S.? How about this in Brighton, MI.

Suburbanist, Haljackey, FM 2258 liked this post
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #2406
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Yuck.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Paddington liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #2407
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19167

Wow!!! Almost like in the Old Blighty

Last edited by geogregor; February 20th, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #2408
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Holy crap, so many possible collision points from drivers confused about whether to stay in the roundabout or turn! Why did the make this as a dumbell instead of an oval?

Penn's Woods, brewerfan386 liked this post
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:57 AM   #2409
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Plus the massive narrowing at the overpass and there are no facilities whatsoever for peds/ bikes. What a poorly executed idea all the way around.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by brewerfan386; February 21st, 2014 at 05:37 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 09:32 PM   #2410
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-820 / TX-121 North Tarrant Express, Texas

The 13.3-mile North Tarrant Express (NTE), a $2.5 billion highway reconstruction project, is scheduled to open by the end of 2014, at least six months ahead of schedule. NTE Mobility Partners, the project developer, made the announcement at today’s Northeast Tarrant Transportation Summit in Hurst.

The five-year project, which began in late 2010, has included the reconstruction of expanded frontage lanes and main lanes and the addition of TEXpress managed lanes, along IH 820 and SH 121/183 between IH 35W in Fort Worth and Industrial Boulevard in Euless. In addition to future business potential and the current economic impact—the project has 2,200 people working along the corridor—the NTE project will have a dramatic impact on mobility in the Northeast Tarrant County region.

The NTE project will nearly double the road capacity with the addition of four TEXpress lanes throughout the length of corridor. Drivers will have the option to travel along the newly rebuilt general highway lanes and frontage roads at no charge, or enter the TEXpress Lanes, which feature variable tolling with the objective of maintaining a minimum rate of speed of 50 mph.
Good news for the Forth Worth area

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old February 25th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #2411
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
No love for roundabouts in the U.S.? How about this in Brighton, MI.
Any idea how long this has been constructed ? There are quite a few here in Mississippi and people have a hard enough time going through those simple two lane points. I can not imagine going through this with majority of American driver's little knowledge of them. I will say, fantastic design .

Airman Kris™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #2412
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The US-23 roundabouts have been there for several years now. I think it was completed in 2005 or so.
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #2413
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1675

I have no problem with conventional roundabouts or dumbbells and want to see more of them.

But are roundabouts undergoing mitosis really considered a good design anywhere, in Europe on modern roads?

But that monstrosity...I feel like even the best driver would experience information overload while simultaneously watching for other cars, navigating the curve, and trying to know where the lane goes.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #2414
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

For those who understand Dutch: http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20140221_00991251

I didn't watch the video, did read the text:

Veel van de dubbele rotondes in ons land zullen verdwijnen omdat ze nutteloos en zelfs gevaarlijk zijn. Dubbele rotondes zijn ronde punten met twee of meer rijvakken Sommige van die rotondes waren aangelegd om files te op te lossen, maar vaak zorgen ze voor nog meer file omdat mensen alleen maar de buitenste rijstrook durven nemen uit schrik dat ze anders gaan botsen met vrachtwagens of bussen.

My rough translation: "Many of the double roundabouts in [Belgium] will disappear because they are unnecessary and even dangerous. Double roundabouts are roundabouts with two or more lanes. Some of the roundabouts were built to solve traffic jams but often the (cause?) more jams because people only drive in the outermost lane out of fear that otherwise they'd collide with trucks or buses."

Doesn't say what authority is going to eliminate them or cite any figures for its conclusions, though.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #2415
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Belgian article refers to two-lane roundabouts. These are different from the one in the photo above, which employs the turbo roundabout principle, where people generally stay within the lane once they entered the roundabout.

Two-lane roundabouts are rubbish because the available capacity is poorly utilized and encourages unpredictable behavior (drivers in the right lane may turn right or go three-quarters around, conflicting with traffic that goes straight across).

Multilane undivided non-turbo roundabouts (scrabble-factor) are only useful if they are very large, traffic circle-size and possibly controlled by traffic signals.
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #2416
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I have no problem with conventional roundabouts or dumbbells and want to see more of them.

But are roundabouts undergoing mitosis really considered a good design anywhere, in Europe on modern roads?

But that monstrosity...I feel like even the best driver would experience information overload while simultaneously watching for other cars, navigating the curve, and trying to know where the lane goes.
I feel it may look like a "monstrosity" in fact that it could appear much more complex seeing it from above as we can see all of the design. However, driving and observing the roundabout from ground level may be a different situation entirely with signage,etc. We will just have to try it out..

And to be honest, looking at the access roads this roundabout most likely does not get enough traffic even at peak times to cause an issue.

Airman Kris™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #2417
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Glenn Highway in Alaska.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #2418
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SH 9 Copperas Cove, Texas

SH9, Cove bypass to Gatesville opens

Central Texas’ newest strip of state highway opened Feb. 20 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony for State Highway 9.

The new 3.5-mile bypass runs around the east side of Copperas Cove, connecting U.S. Highway 190 and Farm-to-Market 116, which leads motorists to Gatesville heading north.
Full report: http://www.forthoodsentinel.com/story.php?id=12964

SH 9 is a super two bypass of Copperas Cove, just west of Fort Hood. SH 9 was one of the original State Highways from 1919, but was scrapped in 1971 after becoming multiplexed with US Highways for the entire length.

It's another example of how the number of a highway doesn't tell you anything about its importance. High numbers can be vital routes, while low numbers can be local routes, as is the case with SH 9, it is only 3 miles long.

Old February 27th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #2419
ChrisZwolle
Road user

LA-1 elevated road, Louisiana

La. Highway 1 project moving forward

Preliminary plans to build the second and final elevated section of La. Highway 1 between Golden Meadow and Leeville is moving forward.

The $330 million project is now expected to be completed sometime around 2017.
http://www.katc.com/news/la-highway-...oving-forward/

This is an unknown long bridge project. I only found out about it a few months ago. The elevated road bypasses a vital segment of State Highway 1 that is slowly sinking into the swamps and will become permanently submerged, not only during storm surges.

The planned length of the elevated road is 18 miles, which would make it one of the longest bridges in the world, and this type of records are not unknown to the state of Louisiana.

The location of the elevated road in its current form: http://goo.gl/maps/HqxvY

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #2420
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
La. Highway 1 project moving forward

Preliminary plans to build the second and final elevated section of La. Highway 1 between Golden Meadow and Leeville is moving forward.

The $330 million project is now expected to be completed sometime around 2017.
http://www.katc.com/news/la-highway-...oving-forward/

This is an unknown long bridge project. I only found out about it a few months ago. The elevated road bypasses a vital segment of State Highway 1 that is slowly sinking into the swamps and will become permanently submerged, not only during storm surges.

The planned length of the elevated road is 18 miles, which would make it one of the longest bridges in the world, and this type of records are not unknown to the state of Louisiana.

The location of the elevated road in its current form: http://goo.gl/maps/HqxvY

Should be a fantastic opportunity to get some great photos . The construction of these elevated roads being built over swamps is amazing to see, much more than bridge construction in my opinion.

Anyway , nice find!

Tags
united states