daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #2481
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19137

US 75 in Oklahoma, mostly expressway.

Now we follow US69, in some places it is a freeway

In some places it gets narrow and slow as i passes through towns

Huge truckstop where US69 meets I-44

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #2482
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Manor Expressway (toll 290) will open to traffic on Saturday May 17th. The Manor Expressway is a six lane and six mile toll road in the median of the US 290 frontage roads and connects US 183 in the west with SH 130 in the east.
Not far from there, the four level stack at US 183 and the MoPac Expressway is missing a right turn movement. OK, there are plenty of partial stacks in Texas, but they usually have frontage roads along both freeways for any missing movements. This one doesn't. And I don't even see any reference in the signage for how to make that movement. WTF?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #2483
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19137

Missouri Hwy 5 connecting I-44 (in Lebanon) to US Hwy 54
Mostly in 2+1 profile to provide safe passing opportunities. Unusually clearly marked.

Local county lanes in Missouri:

US Hwy 54

In places US 54 has freeway profile

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #2484
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

freeway 101 South Phoenix, Az

Freeway Loop 101 West Phoenix, Arizona

fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:41 PM   #2485
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

State Route 24, Mesa, AZ

The new Loop 202 / SR-24 interchange in Mesa, AZ.

SR 24 Ribbon Cutting (April 15, 2014) by Arizona Department of Transportation, on Flickr

SR 24 Ribbon Cutting (April 15, 2014) by Arizona Department of Transportation, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

sonysnob, Suburbanist, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:55 AM   #2486
fredcalif

Nice pics

Arizona has some of the best freeways in the nation
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:43 AM   #2487
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The Pacific Coast Highway, south of Bixby:

Full size:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/CA/1/...oads_24x16.jpg
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:49 AM   #2488
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
Nice pics

I agree, but it certainly wasn't always that way. It has only been the last 25 years where Arizona has caught up. At one time in the late 80's Phoenix had some of the fewest freeway miles for a metro of its size. There was a time when Phoenix's surface streets acted as the freeways, with high speed limits, lots of speeders, and lots of accidents. So the growth of the Phoenix freeway system is probably the most impressive in the country the past couple of decades. Not to mention lowering the collision rates.

Fortunately, the area had a lot of room for these new freeways, a lot of suburban growth, (before the Great Recession quieted things down), but overall, look at a 1984 map compared to 2014, and those 30 years have brought about huge change.

cuartango liked this post
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:56 AM   #2489
fredcalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
I agree, but it certainly wasn't always that way. It has only been the last 25 years where Arizona has caught up. At one time in the late 80's Phoenix had some of the fewest freeway miles for a metro of its size. There was a time when Phoenix's surface streets acted as the freeways, with high speed limits, lots of speeders, and lots of accidents. So the growth of the Phoenix freeway system is probably the most impressive in the country the past couple of decades. Not to mention lowering the collision rates.

Fortunately, the area had a lot of room for these new freeways, a lot of suburban growth, (before the Great Recession quieted things down), but overall, look at a 1984 map compared to 2014, and those 30 years have brought about huge change.
303 freeway is being built and there are about 3 more freeways on the planned stages
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:11 AM   #2490
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
US75 in Texas (mostly freeway)

Glad they finally raised the speed limit to 75.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:18 AM   #2491
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
It has only been the last 25 years where Arizona has caught up. At one time in the late 80's Phoenix had some of the fewest freeway miles for a metro of its size.
I believe that title is currently held by Las Vegas.

Though I am not sure which freeways should be constructed in Las Vegas, save for a full beltway. Unless they go Pinellas County-style and construct some interchanges in major urban arterials.

Phoenix however, seems to have recovered from the housing bust. Back in the late 2000s people predicted Phoenix would be a perfect example of the "death of the suburbs", but that has proven to be wrong. The 2010-2013 growth in Maricopa County was 5%, which is more than twice the national average.
Old May 5th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #2492
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21231

Phoenix needs a highway link on US-60 between Surprise, Peoria and Downtown. The current layout is dangerous, a very wide, but non-grade separated, highway with many intersections.
Old May 5th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #2493
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Have you driven there?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #2494
fredcalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Phoenix needs a highway link on US-60 between Surprise, Peoria and Downtown. The current layout is dangerous, a very wide, but non-grade separated, highway with many intersections.
there is one now, in surprise you take the new 303 Freeway to I 10 and then will take to Downtown, in Peoria you can also take 101 to 17 that take you to Downtown.

and now they are building the Northern Parkway from Surprise will go all the way to the 101 Freeway
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #2495
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 60 may seem like a major route into downtown, but Phoenix's downtown CBD is small. In fact, Phoenix downtown CBD has the second smallest job share of any major metropolitan area in the United States.

Only 1.4% of all metropolitan jobs are located in the Phoenix CBD. This is much smaller than in Houston (6.4%), Denver (9.5%) or even Los Angeles (2.4%).
Old May 6th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #2496
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Have you driven there?
I drove US 60 once from around Wickenburg to the airport in morning rush once, it was pretty crappy flow once you get to around Sun City.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #2497
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Nice pics

Quote:
Totally agree. I think Phoenix has the best road system of any big metro in the country. Since most of the freeways (all the loops) are so new, they're completely up to modern standards. The only one that isn't is I-17 and it's not that bad. Plus Phoenix has an excellent dense grid of fast 4 and 6-lane surface arterials.

Quote:
303 freeway is being built and there are about 3 more freeways on the planned stages
I was in Phoenix in March and checked out construction on the 303 between US 60 and I-10. The I-10 interchange is under construction. For roughly the southern half of this stretch, pavement has been laid but only part of it is open to traffic, with 1+1 traffic, and in a couple of places the ramps are used for signalized surface street connections. The northern part (above Northern Pkwy) is fully open to traffic until it hits US 60, where it reverts back to the old road. When completed it will make a great way to avoid all the congestion on US 60/Grand Ave between 303 and downtown Phoenix. I know they have or plan to improve many of the intersections with grade separations along Grand Ave but it will still be very congested. Even though much longer, 303 and I-10 will be a better (and probably faster) option.

The pictures are going north from I-10 to US 60 on 303.

Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

Suburbanist, cuartango, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Natomasken; May 8th, 2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Added some more comments
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #2498
fredcalif

here are some more I took today from the I10 303 Interchange

here are some from the 202 loop/60 interchange courtesy of aaroads.com

Arizona freeway 51

Arizona us 60 freeway

202/101 interchange in Tempe Arizona

geometarkv liked this post
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #2499
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

What's with the colors of the shields on the last sign?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #2500
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
What's with the colors of the shields on the last sign?
Originally the route shields for the three loop routes each had a different color (303 was white on black) but AZDOT later decided to make them all black on white like a regular state route shield. Too bad, I liked the colors. I don't know the reason for the change.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

Suburbanist liked this post
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states