daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #2501
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
here are some more I took today from the I10 303 Interchange
Thanks! I somehow missed taking pix of the interchange construction.

I'm really looking forward to them completing the 202 loop (South Mountain Freeway), connecting the western and southern legs of I-10 and completing a full beltway around Phoenix. Unfortunately the money ran out for this and it will be years before it gets done. It will make it a lot easier to avoid downtown Phoenix traffic when visiting friends in Ahwahtukee.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #2502
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
Originally the route shields for the three loop routes each had a different color (303 was white on black) but AZDOT later decided to make them all black on white like a regular state route shield. Too bad, I liked the colors. I don't know the reason for the change.
THAT IS correct, I like the colors too.
I read that in the future there are plans for a 404 loop, so that will be the 4 loop of the phoenix area.

the 303 10 interchange is supposed to be the largest 5 level interchange after the ones in Texas and California.
because of the crisis they are not going to build it all at one but in parts, and then they are supposed to build a huge interchange in the I17 303 interchange
and a large one for us 60
fredcalif está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2503
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Chisholm Trail Parkway, Fort Worth, TX

The Chisholm Trail Parkway will open to traffic on Sunday. The new toll road stretches from I-30 in Downtown Fort Worth to US 67 in Cleburne. It is 28 miles long.

CBS has a report with some cool aerial footage. It features the classic Texas huge stack interchanges with I-20 and SH 183.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/05/09/c...g-for-traffic/
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #2504
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A map of the Chisholm Trail Parkway:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, FM 2258, geometarkv liked this post
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #2505
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

From a post I made a week ago at AARoads. Photos are mine.

...getting back on 400 southbound I took this pic of the MARTA Buckhead Station's new north concourse and footbridges:

A bit further south, passing under MARTA...

...taking the new ramp from 400 southbound to 85 northbound...

...and entering I-85. Not the neatest paint job in the world, is it? Just beyond here, I had to brake to allow a crush of traffic from the Lenox-Cheshire Bridge onramp to enter the highway-- on a Sunday afternoon! I've said it before, I'll say it again: I wish they'd taken the opportunity to give that ramp its own merger-free entrance lane.

I stopped at QuikTrip at Sidney Marcus and 400 for a smoke break and walked over to take this photo, looking eastward under 400. Three different pier designs! The farthest away is the new ramp from 85 southbound to 400 northbound, with a two-column bent in the median and a hammerhead on the south. Would it have just killed 'em to make them the same?

From the other side, looking west. This is my second pass, and the pic still sucks.

Road_UK, cuartango, geometarkv liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #2506
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Alaska

Talks, planning continue on 220-mile road to Ambler mining district

State development officials planned to be in Kotzebue on Wednesday for discussions on a road that would stretch 220 miles from the Dalton Highway west to a copper deposit in the Northwest Arctic Borough.
http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/vi...K--Ambler-Road

I always find these northern developments interesting. These areas are extremely remote with very limited or non-existing road access. I think by "road" you have to think of a gravel road.
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #2507
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Talks, planning continue on 220-mile road to Ambler mining district

State development officials planned to be in Kotzebue on Wednesday for discussions on a road that would stretch 220 miles from the Dalton Highway west to a copper deposit in the Northwest Arctic Borough.
http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/vi...K--Ambler-Road

I always find these northern developments interesting. These areas are extremely remote with very limited or non-existing road access. I think by "road" you have to think of a gravel road.
Looks as if it only benefits the mining industry, So I would assume it will be made up of some sort of gravel .
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #2508
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

And is it far enough north for there to be permafrost? Are there issues with building on that? (Of course, it could start melting any day now at this rate... which presents different issues.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2509
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Gravel roads aren't always cheap to construct. They have a lot of difficulties in Canada to construct roads through muskeg, everything sinks away in it during the summer. They either need to pile it (expensive) or dig it out and fill it with gravel (expensive too).

Building in permafrost doesn't solve all problems, because in most areas the upper layer of permafrost also melts in the summer. Many gravel roads in antarctic Canada are built during the winter season for that reason.
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #2510
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CA-57, Orange Freeway

It's done! 3-year project to widen 57 freeway ends

Nearly 100 transportation officials, lawmakers and others gathered Wednesday morning in Brea to celebrate the successful widening of northbound State Route 57 between Placentia and Brea.

The $104-million project added a new northbound lane to a 5-mile stretch of the SR-57 freeway between Orangethorpe Avenue in Placentia and Lambert Road in Brea. The three-year-long construction project also included work on 12 ramps, 13 bridges and three miles of new sound walls.
Full report: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/b...n-project.html
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #2511
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's done! 3-year project to widen 57 freeway ends

Nearly 100 transportation officials, lawmakers and others gathered Wednesday morning in Brea to celebrate the successful widening of northbound State Route 57 between Placentia and Brea.

The $104-million project added a new northbound lane to a 5-mile stretch of the SR-57 freeway between Orangethorpe Avenue in Placentia and Lambert Road in Brea. The three-year-long construction project also included work on 12 ramps, 13 bridges and three miles of new sound walls.
Full report: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/b...n-project.html

in other countries you can almost build an entire freeway.
it is getting ridiculous.
I5 is even going to be more expensive to widen a few miles
fredcalif está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2512
ChrisZwolle
Road user

$ 20 million per mile gets you a freeway in a rural area, yes. But this is a densely build-up area. They had to do a lot of bridgework to get this done. Google Earth imagery suggests they did not just added a sixth through lane, but also auxiliary lanes. The bridges seem to have been widened by at least 30 ft. Hopefully someone can make a video of that stretch

Old May 16th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #2513
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 74, Charlotte - Monroe, NC

Federal Highway Administration Issues Record Of Decision For Monroe Connector Bypass Project In Mecklenburg And Union Counties

The N.C. Department of Transportation today reached a milestone as the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) issued the Record of Decision for the 19.7-mile Monroe Connector Bypass, a new roadway that will span from I-485 in Mecklenburg County to U.S. 74 near Marshville in Union County.

This move allows NCDOT to immediately resume purchasing right of way, conducting permitting work and developing the final design for the project.

Construction on the project is scheduled to start in late 2014 or early 2015.
Full press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=9847

An important project for North Carolina. Charlotte is turning into another Atlanta with an inefficient highway network if they don't do projects like this. Union County doubled in population since 2000 (212,000 people in 2013).
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #2514
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Loop 303, Phoenix, AZ

Loop 303 appears to be designed for a future 10 lane layout:

All imagery dated March 2014.

At Northern Avenue

At Northern Parkway

At Olive Avenue

At Peoria Avenue

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

geometarkv liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:21 AM   #2515
grs1

Likes (Received): 4

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/...erous/26111338
grs1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:58 PM   #2516
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Drove the Blue Star Memorial Highway portion of US 301 in Maryland yesterday. Can't help but wonder if at one point there was thought of making the highway an interstate from the Bay Bridge to Delaware. Most of it is already interstate-grade, very limited access.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:11 PM   #2517
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

One problem would be that it dumps you onto a very different level of road at the Delaware line.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:33 PM   #2518
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
One problem would be that it dumps you onto a very different level of road at the Delaware line.
Wouldn't be very hard to widen and extend it to US 40 or DE 1
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:38 PM   #2519
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

There's a town right there. And has Delaware ever shown any interest in connecting it to 95 or Del. 1?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #2520
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

De la where?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states