daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #2521
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There's a town right there. And has Delaware ever shown any interest in connecting it to 95 or Del. 1?
I know that there's been a lot of talk about rerouting 301 in the Glasgow area and building some kind of bypass.

I'm not saying that they need to build this, because 301 between there and the bay is very lightly traveled, doing the whole thing into an interstate isn't necessary. I just wonder what the original plan was.
Scba está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #2522
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Ah. I was thinking Middletown. (And I'm not arguing for or against, either.... )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #2523
AlanHaydar

Likes (Received): 1

Please someone help me how i can upload a photo here..
AlanHaydar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #2524
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHaydar View Post
Please someone help me how i can upload a photo here..
You can't. You have to use a service like photobucket or imgur, then link to your uploaded photo.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #2525
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Fresno

The new "braided ramps" of SR-180 in Fresno, California.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:21 AM   #2526
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

It's called a basketweave! First used in Toronto on the 401, its used to exchange the collector and express portions of the highway. (or in this case, the two highway interchanges)
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:26 PM   #2527
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
I know that there's been a lot of talk about rerouting 301 in the Glasgow area and building some kind of bypass.

I'm not saying that they need to build this, because 301 between there and the bay is very lightly traveled, doing the whole thing into an interstate isn't necessary. I just wonder what the original plan was.
Speaking of US 301 I am surprised that the section between La Plata and Bowie has not been planned to be eventually turned into a freeway considering that there is a very large median in a few spots. Honestly I always thought I-97 should have been routed along MD 3/US 301 into Virginia to serve as a defacto bypass of the DC Beltway.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:04 PM   #2528
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The new "braided ramps" of SR-180 in Fresno, California.
Which in first place shouldn't have been CA-180. It blocks a possible I-180 in the Bay Area (Or even Sacramento), and it's part of the reason of why I-238 exists.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Penn's Woods liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:08 PM   #2529
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Which in first place shouldn't have been CA-180. It blocks a possible I-180 in the Bay Area (Or even Sacramento), and it's part of the reason of why I-238 exists.
Except CA180 predates the intersate system by about 20 years, having been created in 1934!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:01 PM   #2530
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Actually, now that I think of it, the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge was once designated I-180. So that designation's usable.

There's no excuse for I-238.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:43 PM   #2531
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Caltrans doesn't want to duplicate numbers. That was discussed at least once here.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:43 PM   #2532
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

A couple of shots of the Susquehanna Trail, US 15/11 in central Pennsylvania, USA

This is a fairly nice drive, from just north of Harrisburg up to around Williamsport or so, it parallels the Susquehanna River for much of the journey, and goes through some little towns and settlements that haven't changed much in 200 years. We took it southbound a few weeks ago coming down from I-80 near Lock Haven.

US 15/11 South by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

Yes, this is an Amish buggy on the side of the road...
US 15/11 South, w/Buggy by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

US 15/11 S near Duncannon, PA by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr

This one is actually US 322, after you jump the river and get on the east bank. A few miles north of Harrisburg.
US 322 N of Harrisburg PA by Jimbo in Jersey, on Flickr
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:06 PM   #2533
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

I like roads like this. Four lanes so you can keep up a good speed but more connected to the surroundings, unlike freeways which often feel isolated.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:00 AM   #2534
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I've driven that route It's interesting how steep the grade is on either side of the road, people have made houses on like 45% grades, no idea how they get their cars up the driveways...

I did get stuck for 2 hours on a 4 lane section of US 322 though, there was a crash and they closed the road, and nobody knew what was going on, or could do anything, on your left a concrete barrier, on your right, side of the mountain...

it's definitely much less isolated than I-80 which is super empty, but on I-80 you can drive super fast...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:10 PM   #2535
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Opal Interchange, Fauquier County, VA

This project will replace the current at-grade left-turn movements from Route 29 southbound onto Route 17 south with a grade-separated flyover interchange.

The project will improve safety and traffic flow at this high-volume location. The current dual left-turn lanes on Route 29 south often overflow onto the southbound travel lanes during periods of peak volume. This condition creates a safety issue since southbound through traffic traveling at highway speed must stop until the left-turning traffic clears the travel lane.
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/...nterchange.asp

IMG_2259 by VaDOT, on Flickr

Interesting approach, an uncommon solution.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #2536
Kanadzie

Indeed, why not take out the signals and block off the median, unless they didn't want to annoy the gas station...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #2537
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Indeed, why not take out the signals and block off the median, unless they didn't want to annoy the gas station...
That's what it looks like in part, but the signals would still needed for the other traffic at that intersection anyway. There's a map linked from the VDOT website that shows the new connection as US 17 and the old section as Business US 17 but that would only be for the southbound 17 traffic, as northbound 17 traffic still uses just the old road.
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #2538
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Continued from this post in the US Interstate Highways thread...

To me, Cantrell Road, AR 10, is the most interesting highway in Little Rock. Starting west of town, it enters Little Rock from the mountainous west, becomes a four-lane arterial, snakes down a mountainside, becomes a waterfront expressway downtown, then S-curves across the downtown street grid to tie directly into I-30. So of course I start my narrative at the east end...

Here's a Google Maps link of the downtown segment, since I'm too lazy to upload a map. The segment I'm referring to is labeled La Harpe Boulevard on the map, but the BGS' call it Cantrell Road.

Entering Cantrell from I-30:

At the intersection with Markham Street. Note the sharp curve. This intersection also serves as the primary access point between the lovely waterfront park and the reasonably vibrant tourist district, so low traffic speeds are very desirable here. The Clinton Library is about a half mile to the east on Markham, and the trolley runs there via Markham.

Further west, the road runs under bridges and the city's convention center. Reflex action is to call for an "urban boulevard" here so as to "reconnect downtown with the neglected waterfront," but I think that'd be overkill here; the waterfront is far from neglected, and the topography isn't well suited to providing another walkable connection, even if the convention center wasn't in the way. This one is westbound, about to pass under the Main Street Bridge:

Eastbound, passing under the convention center:

From my own limited travels there, congestion appears to be rare in Little Rock except for leaving downtown headed northward at the afternoon peak. I happened to be headed that way once, and the bridges over the Arkansas were jammed, with I-30 being sluggish. Returning, I meant to head southbound over the Broadway Bridge (I guess that's what it's called-- Google just labels it US 70B!) because there are right-turn ramps connecting it to Cantrell in the southbound-to-westbound direction I was heading in. Unfortunately, though, we ended up on the Main Street Bridge instead, and we had to return to Cantrell via congested and confusing surface streets. The positive aspect of that is that there's little if any congestion on Cantrell itself, even during rush hour since the downtown streets aren't capable of delivering enough traffic to Cantrell to cause a problem.

OT: I'd expected to drive to Little Rock, but my boss insisted that I fly (I suspect that was so I couldn't escape except by buying my own plane ticket or hitchhiking!). Direct flights from ATL to Little Rock are horrendously expensive, so my flight involved a change of planes at Charlotte's sprawling, smoke-free airport (!). So, that's five or more hours' flying time, two hours to get through ATL airport security, another hour to get from my house to the airport, against a nine hour drive and having to rent a Nissan Altima instead of having a proper construction vehicle to drive. All in all, I would rather have driven my work van. And, the flight itself was pretty brutal, but there was this. I'm amazed that they didn't charge extra for this seat:

cuartango liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #2539
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19125

Three shots from rural Mississippi

geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #2540
Kanadzie

I always smile seeing road signs with bullet holes

cuartango liked this post