daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:02 PM   #241
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Oh, very nice pics Alex!

I like those desolate landscapes I would feel very well at home in Wyoming or Nevada too probably

You really like the metric system right? Btw, there's nothing wrong with being proud of your country
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:02 PM   #242
ChrisZwolle
Road user

delete, double
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #243
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2294

Thanks for the marvellous pictures!

Go Cougs!!!
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #244
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Beautiful pics, Alex. The landscape near the US-395 near Spokane is quite alike, so that's why I liked that road so much
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM   #245
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

It's really weird for me to see a landscape that has absolutely no trees....A great photo-report! Thanks!
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM   #246
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Great report- I love the scenery a lot- even though I'm a tree-guy . Washington state does seem to do a nice job marking intersections with big enough signs for you to read what's ahead before it's too late and you've driven past your turn.
Sorry to hear about the speeding tickets.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM   #247
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I like those desolate landscapes I would feel very well at home in Wyoming or Nevada too probably
You know, Chris, I also thought like that after coming to America from Ukraine. But you really have to live here for a while to make a conclusion whether you like it or not. My wife and I understood that we need civilisation

Quote:
You really like the metric system right? Btw, there's nothing wrong with being proud of your country
I like metric system because I was brought up with metric system. Also, I associate (not necessarily correctly) the US customary system with everything that is backward in America, so I paid little effort to learn it. Well, I am an engineer, so it would be weird if I became the Imperial system fan, right?

As for being proud of your country, I have my own ideas about that. I noticed that the less you can be proud of your own achievements, the more you want to be proud of your country. Plus, a big flag in the middle of nowhere? Come on, do you think someone will mistakenly think it's not America anymore?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM   #248
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Great report- I love the scenery a lot- even though I'm a tree-guy . Washington state does seem to do a nice job marking intersections with big enough signs for you to read what's ahead before it's too late and you've driven past your turn.
I am a tree-guy too I really take pleasure in visiting Seattle because of all the natural green scenery there. This desolate scenery looks nice in a warm light of evening photos, but living here gets extremely tiring.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the speeding tickets.
Thanks. Coming from California did not help in adjusting to Washington stricter enforcement. Somehow, my insurance did not go up miraculously which I am very happy about.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #249
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Great photos, Alex!

The scenery in the last few pics was impressive as well.

The road appears to be particularly high quality and well-maintained for a rural route in a sparsely populated area.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #250
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Somehow, my insurance did not go up miraculously which I am very happy about.
Is your insurance going up if you get speeding tickets? Interesting...
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM   #251
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is your insurance going up if you get speeding tickets? Interesting...
It depends on the state. Some states will allow insurance companies to raise premiums for any amount over the speed limit. In Kansas this is allowed only for (I think) tickets 10 MPH over the limit on roads with a speed limit less than 70 MPH and for 5 MPH over the limit on roads with a 70 MPH limit. It is often also possible to avoid having a ticket taken into account in setting insurance premiums by going through a court-sponsored defensive-driving course--this is very common in Arizona now that the state has speed cameras with very tight speed tolerances.

Personally, when I am on the open road, I just set my cruise control at the speed limit and enjoy the scenery. (I really like wide-open spaces too.) Before the NMSL was abolished in 1995, I used a radar detector and routinely drove 5-10 MPH above the limit on rural highways, but nowadays I don't like the hassle of looking out for cops and generally try to drive in a way which avoids drawing official attention.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:00 AM   #252
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19219

I'm planning big driving tour of western USA (California, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Oregon) at the end of May.
I did drove on the east coast ( on few occasions all the way from Canadian border to Florida) and generally kept few miles (5-10) above speed limit. Never got stopped.
Are they more strict out there on the west? Maybe because traffic is lighter in rural areas it is easier to catch people driving even just a bit above limit?

I was passenger when we got stopped in Washington state. Lucky me
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM   #253
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

In Alaska, where the speed limit is 55 or 65, we did mostly 75 or 80. The roads are wide and quiet enough for it. Never got any ticket
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #254
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Re: the two-lane roads -

MT, NV and TX are the three states with 70 mph (112 km/h) limits, with Texas also having a 75 mph (120 km/h) limit in particularly sparsely populated areas.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #255
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Re: the two-lane roads -

MT, NV and TX are the three states with 70 mph (112 km/h) limits, with Texas also having a 75 mph (120 km/h) limit in particularly sparsely populated areas.
North Carolina also has very long stretches along Interstate 40 with a 70mph speed limit. I dont' know about any other states though...
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #256
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Are there any plans for the North America to start using the style of speed limit signs that the rest of the world does? I always thought that plain white rectangle with the words "speed limit" written on it looks a lot uglier than a number in a red circle. It's also a lot less attention-grabbing. It's really just an eyesore, in my opinion.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #257
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
Are there any plans for the North America to start using the style of speed limit signs that the rest of the world does? I always thought that plain white rectangle with the words "speed limit" written on it looks a lot uglier than a number in a red circle. It's also a lot less attention-grabbing. It's really just an eyesore, in my opinion.
No way, forget about it. US is quite conservative, if something works reasonably well there is no need to change it.
They use many written signs so speed limit is the least problem. There are many more longer written messages than that.
Every one knows that pictorial signs are easier to read but it would be enormous logistical problem to suddenly change everything.

And apart from that many Americans would see it as some kind of loosing independence, getting signs looking like every else.
The same apply to metric system.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #258
Alex Von Königsberg

I was thinking that since the US government is going to spend about $800 billion on stimulus package, it would be a good opportunity to do some metrication work. Metrication effort would create more jobs, and is it not what this stimulus package intends to do? At least, something good would come out of this financial crisis. Sadly, most of these flag-loving beer drinking Joe-sixpacks cannot stand change in any shape or form even if it will bring obvious benefits. Conservatism and progress can't walk side-by-side in peaceful coexistence. Ironically, this is one negative side effect of a democracy - a government doesn't push the progressive agenda if the general population is unwilling to accept it regardless of any scientific or common sense justifications.
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #259
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Quote:
Metrication effort would create more jobs, and is it not what this stimulus package intends to do? At least, something good would come out of this financial crisis. Sadly, most of these flag-loving beer drinking Joe-sixpacks cannot stand change in any shape or form even if it will bring obvious benefits.
If it was just them then the metrication effort would have gotten much farther. Not many in the United States are in support of Metrication. I'm an engineering student and I don't support a dedicated metrication effort. It would be a waste of time and resources.
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #260
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRidge View Post
If it was just them then the metrication effort would have gotten much farther. Not many in the United States are in support of Metrication. I'm an engineering student and I don't support a dedicated metrication effort. It would be a waste of time and resources.
Let me guess, a civil engineer? Seeing the ethnic backbone (WASP) of those majoring in civil engineering, it's not surprising that not only have the USA not converted itself but also drags Canada along... still

However, I still think that should low-class conservative folks not care about the metrication, the metrication effort would overcome the objections of a few anti-metric engineers.

Tags
united states