daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

SH 121, North Tarrant Express, TX

It's got it all. Tolled express lanes, general purpose lanes and frontage roads.

(photos by Maxconcrete @ AAroads)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

cuartango, fredcalif, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #2602
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Wasn't that due to the fact that most gas stations did not have power to operate the pumps?
Or they weren't getting supplied? I don't remember.

My mother's power was out for nearly two weeks after the storm.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2603
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge - US 93

Hoover Dam by antmayphoto, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #2604
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

eventually that will be interstate 11

Luki_SL, FM 2258, fredcalif liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #2605
sotonsi

Probably quite soon - when the Boulder City bypass opens.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:45 PM   #2606
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 85, North Dakota

The new four-lane bypass of Alexander, North Dakota opened to traffic this past weekend. It is part of US 85.

I took a closer look at the traffic data. Traffic in the greater Williston area has increased substantially with the oil production boom in the Bakken Formation.

US 85 Alexander - Williston:
* 2,600 (2006) - 8,600 (2013) (all traffic)
* 575 (2006) - 3,500 (2013) (trucks)

US 85 Watford City - Alexander:
* 1,600 (2006) - 11,200 (2013) (all traffic)
* 410 (2006) - 4,300 (2013) (trucks)

US 2/85 in Williston
* 10,100 (2006) - 29,500 (2013) (all traffic)
* 1,200 (2006) - 4,100 (2013) (trucks

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

cuartango liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:07 AM   #2607
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Apparantly copper thieves have delayed the opening of a new section of Texas State Highway 195 that bypasses the town of Florence.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:59 AM   #2608
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

That's an interesting project.

Given enough time maybe the Killeen area will start to feel like it is attached to greater Austin?

The 195 exit is also adjacent the northern end of 130, so much so they could be contiguous.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

FM 2258 liked this post
zaphod está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #2609
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
October 4, 2014

A 4.5 mile (7 km) segment of State Route 364 opens to traffic in the greater St. Louis area. It runs from I-64 east to Route K in Dardenne Prairie. Another missing link from Route K to Highway 94 is expected to open in late October, completing the new freeway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
how often do you see new build 8 lane highways like 364 constructed in the western world? Usually you only reach 8 lanes with a widening, and new highways are either 4 or 6 lanes.
The newest segments are four lanes (two in each direction), but the segment east of Highway 94 was indeed constructed with eight lanes from the beginning of conversion to freeway standard. The bridge across the Missouri River was built from scratch with even 10 lanes and left shoulders.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/traff...pens/16635263/

It's built for the future. The 10 lane Missouri River Bridge carried only 60,000 vehicles per day in 2013 and that is the busiest segment of the entire Route 364 freeway. To compare, the 10 lane I-70 bridge carries 155,000 vehicles per day, and some 10 lane freeways in Los Angeles carry over 250,000 vehicles per day.

http://www.modot.org/safety/trafficvolumemaps.htm
Old October 6th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #2610
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

US 219 in Pennsylvania

I find this mesmerizingly interesting. Maybe you will, too.

This sophisticated graphic depicts a section of southern central Pennsylvania. The green road running east-west near the top is the original section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, opened in 1940 and now s-l-o-w-l-y being rebuilt and widened to six lanes. It carries I-76 and, west of Breezewood (at the cigarette butt), I-70. At Breezewood, I-70 heads south into Maryland, then heads southeastward to Baltimore and Washington DC. Also just inside Maryland, I-68 begins at I-70 and heads west to Morgantown, serving traffic headed toward the Ohio Valley on I-79, then I-64 and other roads.

On the left is US 219, which serves the not-very-big city of Johnstown to the north and... not much else. From just south of Somerset going north, the old road was replaced with a freeway in the '70's (I think), and at some point a freeway bypass of the little town of Meyersdale was built.

For whatever reason, it was decided recently to extend the 219 freeway all the way to I-68. As the map shows, the section between Meyersdale and Somerset is under construction, and planning is underway for the connection to I-68 (near my fingertip). The terrain here is mountainous, and the costs are astronomical: the I-68-Meyersdale section alone is projected to cost $280m for the cheapest alternative (east of existing 219) and $425m for the most expensive. Interestingly, the alternatives include a trumpet interchange with the loop ramp running in opposite quadrants for each of the two possible interchange sites, which suggests that projected volumes in either direction are low enough for a one-lane loop ramp to handle.

I think that to some extent it's already happening, but... if the 219 extension is built, almost all traffic along the DC/Baltimore to Pittsburgh/Ohio axis will use it and I-68 rather than I-70. Avoiding that section of the Turnpike will save on tolls ($4.49 for EZPass, $6.45 cash for cars!). They'll be able to avoid Breezewood, too, where I-70 traffic now must connect to the Turnpike via a half-mile stretch of old US 30 lined with motels and restaurants because a deal couldn't be reached to build an interchange between the Turnpike and I-70.

However... there's no interchange between the US 219 freeway and the Turnpike, nor, apparently, is there any official proposal to build one. So, that'll leave what amounts to the through traffic of I-70 driving over two miles through the streets of Somerset to reach the existing interchange at PA 601. As a bonus, there are service areas on the Turnpike immediately west of where US 219 crosses, complicating the design of an interchange there.

Please discuss.

Last edited by Tom 958; October 8th, 2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: I never get it right the first time /
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #2611
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Extend I-99 south to Cumberland and 219 becomes irrelevant. (Of course, 99 doesn't connect directly to the Turnpike either....)

BTW, I always found it odd that Johnstown appears as a destination (I hate the term "control city") for traffic exiting the Turnpike westbound at Bedford/I-99. Along with Altoona. Apparently they don't want traffic from the east staying on the Turnpike to Somerset. Maybe the lack of a direct connection explains that. (I didn't know there wasn't a direct connection - I've never entered or exited the Turnpike at Somerset.)

BTW (2). One Sunday I was heading I-forget-where, westbound, and saw that eastbound traffic was backed up for miles approaching Breezewood. Perhaps not coincidentally, there were an awful lot of Maryland and Virginia plates on the local roads, Sheetz parking lots, and the like around the Bedford exit (where I got off). The one where you have to use a bit of US 220 to get from the Turnpike to 99 or vice versa. Perhaps it was eastbound traffic that knew about the Breezewood problem and got off at Bedford instead and drove over 30 to Breezewood. 30 between Bedford and Breezewood can be completely empty.

BTW (3). They did do some realignment of I-70 at Breezewood a few years back, so it's not the configuration you would have always found there. I don't know the details, and the direct connection is still lacking.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #2612
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Washington

Some photos of State Routes in Washington.

Freight Rail in Yakima Canyon by WSDOT, on Flickr

SR 155 and Banks Lake by WSDOT, on Flickr

State Route 174 by WSDOT, on Flickr

Coulee Corridor Scenic Byway by WSDOT, on Flickr

Yakima River Canyon Scenic Byway by WSDOT, on Flickr

The new SR 9 Pilchuck Creek Bridge by WSDOT, on Flickr
Old October 7th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #2613
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Extend I-99 south to Cumberland and 219 becomes irrelevant. (Of course, 99 doesn't connect directly to the Turnpike either....)
Too late-- the 219 freeway extension is already under construction.

The US 220-I-99 corridor was once in the Appalachian developmental Highways program, but the mileage was swapped for something else. From what I've read, it's already a pretty decent road, anyway, and major improvements aren't necessary. I guess that's mostly because it runs parallel to the ridges and valleys rather than traversing them.

Quote:
BTW, I always found it odd that Johnstown appears as a destination (I hate the term "control city") for traffic exiting the Turnpike westbound at Bedford/I-99. Along with Altoona. Apparently they don't want traffic from the east staying on the Turnpike to Somerset. Maybe the lack of a direct connection explains that. (I didn't know there wasn't a direct connection - I've never entered or exited the Turnpike at Somerset.)
That's easy: PA 56 from Bedford to Johnstown is an inferior highway, but it's also much shorter than the Turnpike/US 219 for that connection.

Quote:
BTW (2). One Sunday I was heading I-forget-where, westbound, and saw that eastbound traffic was backed up for miles approaching Breezewood. Perhaps not coincidentally, there were an awful lot of Maryland and Virginia plates on the local roads, Sheetz parking lots, and the like around the Bedford exit (where I got off). The one where you have to use a bit of US 220 to get from the Turnpike to 99 or vice versa. Perhaps it was eastbound traffic that knew about the Breezewood problem and got off at Bedford instead and drove over 30 to Breezewood.
More likely it was a wreck or something. Either the Turnpike was backed up past Bedford or the motorists found out about the problem before they got to Bedford, most likely from GPS.

Quote:
30 between Bedford and Breezewood can be completely empty.

BTW (3). They did do some realignment of I-70 at Breezewood a few years back, so it's not the configuration you would have always found there. I don't know the details, and the direct connection is still lacking.
I'm not sure about the scope of the recent work you're talking about, either. However...

What happened before that is a lot more problematic. The reason why there's an interchange at Breezewood is that it's the point at which eastbound travelers would choose between staying on the Turnpike toward Harrisburg, Allentown, and New York or get on US 30 toward Gettysburg, York, Lancaster and Philadelphia.

As you surely know, the Turnpike was built along the path of a railroad that was started but never finished. Some of the railroad tunnels were completed and incorporated into the Turnpike, which initially narrowed to two lanes to fit through the tunnels. One of these tunnels was just east of Breezewood.

Eventually the backups at these two-lane sections became intolerable. In some places a second tunnel was built, but east of Breezewood it was decided to reroute the turnpike to a higher elevation and replace the tunnel with a cut. The relocation of the Turnpike began well west of Breezewood, which meant that traffic would have to backtrack for nearly two miles to travel between Breezewood and the Turnpike east of there:

That means that the businesses at Breezewood are dependent largely upon traffic from I-70, not I-76. Building a proper interchange at I-70 and the Turnpike would therefore have a devastating effect on Breezewood's businesses. But, then, an attractive I-68-US 219 alternative to I-70 would be even worse for them-- an interchange at I-70 and the Turnpike could preserve the option of stopping by Breezewood, but the alternative would miss it by 25 miles.

(That would also be why US 30 between Bedford and Breezewood is so deserted)

Having said all of this, the situation isn't a crisis. Surely a few adventurous/cheapskate motorists take the 68-219 route now, and it's likely that more will do so once the Meyersdale-Somerset link is opened. At that point it'll become apparent whether the lack of a connection from US 219 to the Turnpike at Somerset is a problem that's worth addressing. If it is, hopefully they'll be able to do so before the Meyersdale-I-68 connection makes it worse.

We'll see what happens, I guess.
Old October 7th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #2614
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

That realignment of the Turnpike may be what I'm thinking of. I just have vague memories of reading somewhere that the Breezewood interchange was configured differently than it used to be. And it may be "quite a few" years back.

(Although I can't resist pointing out that it hasn't been necessary or even advisable since the early 50s to get off the Turnpike at Breezewood if you're heading to Philadelphia! )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 7th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #2615
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

Quote:
Some photos of State Routes in Washington.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3928/...01f88377_c.jpg

on Flickr
Beautiful! I'd like to drive around there one day.
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #2616
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Harmon Tunnel, Iowa

The Harmon Tunnel (built 1925) is the only road tunnel in Iowa.

Old October 8th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #2617
Tom 958

Quote:
The Harmon Tunnel (built 1925) is the only road tunnel in Iowa.
Amazing! It never would've occurred to me that a tunnel existed in Iowa. How did you find out about it?

Google link
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #2618
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Cherokee Expressway (US 75) Tulsa

_DSC2499 by michael40001, on Flickr

cuartango, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #2619
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Amazing! It never would've occurred to me that a tunnel existed in Iowa. How did you find out about it?
Blame Wikipedia. You keep on clicking links that have nothing to do with your original search

Wikipedia doesn't have an article about the tunnel though.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #2620
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

SR 99 North Portal, Seattle

SR-99 North Portal and South Lake Union Development by edgeplot, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states