daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #2881
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by the boat View Post
Between NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST; it's probably going to be the closest that we will ever come for a Schengen-style system.
With the US normalizing relations with Cuba, there will soon be no reason why the US and Canada cannot harmonize immigration and open the US-Canadian border completely, just like internal Schengen Area borders. The difference with respect to Cuba was the main obstacle to an open US-Canadian border. More than a billion dollars would be saved every year by opening the border.

JohnFlint1985 liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #2882
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The tunnel option cost $ 10 billion according to that article.
lots of kick backs and bloody unions here are like the top of the line parasites

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

fredcalif, mcarling liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #2883
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The proposed Texas state highway system in 1917.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #2884
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

Quote:
Everything in the Northeast is ridiculously expensive compared to most other places. How about $ 5 billion to replace a 3 mile viaduct of I-84 in Hartford?

http://wtnh.com/2015/04/06/replacing...ch-of-highway/
From what I am reading, they want to replace it with a totally new elevated structure which makes no sense. It would simply be better to demolish the viaduct and put I-84 at grade, probably much cheaper too. Very surprising that the article did not propose this as an option.

It would also help with revitalizing the city, the viaduct does a good job of cutting the city into two.

Zaz965 liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #2885
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

Bourne Bridge
Over the Cape Cod Canal

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #2886
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Texas state highways

Possibly the shortest state highway in Texas, SH 167 in Dublin. It's a quarter mile connector road between US 67 and the new relief route SH 267. It was designated in 2012.

It's even shorter than SH 165 which runs across a cemetery in Austin.
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #2887
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

A video on the Mountain View Corridor (Utah Route 85) which is a new freeway that is designed to serve the fast growing western suburbs of Salt Lake City and will run along the western periphery of Salt Lake County and south into northwest Utah County.

The freeway will initially have frontage roads lining the corridor with the main lines being built segment by segment.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #2888
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

5 billion is a stupid amount of money.

From the article:

Quote:
From what I am reading, they want to replace it with a totally new elevated structure which makes no sense. It would simply be better to demolish the viaduct and put I-84 at grade, probably much cheaper too. Very surprising that the article did not propose this as an option.
You mean like a surface street, or do you mean just close some of the streets that cross it? I do wonder how much it would cost to build a few overpasses, and a trenched undercrossing for the busway. The viaduct runs over top a wasteland of parking lots and crappy buildings that could be demolished so.

The small interchanges could go away.

I dunno, there's this:

Quote:
The viaduct is the busiest section of interstate highway in Connecticut, carrying 175,000 cars and trucks a day
Is this considered a lot of traffic? That seems like a lot to me.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; April 27th, 2015 at 08:06 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #2889
ChrisZwolle
Road user

175,000 vehicles per day is a high volume of traffic, especially because I-84 has only three through lanes at some points.

That section is not possible at grade, because it crosses railroads and surface streets. It's either a viaduct (very expensive) or a tunnel (absurdly expensive).

I don't understand why this would have to cost so much. The viaduct section is only just over a mile long. There's something seriously wrong with the cost of public infrastructure in the northeast. Someone at the New York Daily News noted the same.

Having grown numb to multi-billion price tags for building almost anything, New Yorkers might not know just how messed up all this is. In any other American city, even just one of these fiascoes might well have sunk the entire town.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old April 29th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #2890
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

Marine Parkway–Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge over Jamaica Bay

Marine Parkway–Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC_0072
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #2891
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
You mean like a surface street, or do you mean just close some of the streets that cross it? I do wonder how much it would cost to build a few overpasses, and a trenched undercrossing for the busway. The viaduct runs over top a wasteland of parking lots and crappy buildings that could be demolished so.

The small interchanges could go away.
Quote:
That section is not possible at grade, because it crosses railroads and surface streets. It's either a viaduct (very expensive) or a tunnel (absurdly expensive).
I-84 is usually not that bad during off-peak times.

You could cross the entire city in less than 10 minutes if traffic cooperates. Hartford is TINY in comparison to larger US cities so while the number of 175k might sound excessive, it really isn't an issue except for the fact that the Viaduct is out of date.

I think that entire area would need to be redone. I-84 in Hartford is riddled with overdone interchanges made because of anticipation for freeway construction that was later cancelled and will never be built. For example, the messed up interchanges on Exit 43 (in West Hartford), 45, 46 and 48. Many of them are left exits that also add to the madness.

$5 billion is an estimate from good old East Coast corruption but the entire project will NOT be cheap. Rebuilding the viaduct would be like putting lipstick on a pig, the entire area is a mess that does a good job of separating the downtown from a large chunk of the city.

Sorry for the off-topic. This is the non-interstate highways thread.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 06:55 PM   #2892
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 181, Corpus Christi, TX

The planned Harbor Bridge in Corpus Christi, Texas. It will replace the existing bridge with a higher bridge. It also includes a realignment of the US 181 freeway, it will connect to I-37 just west of Downtown, right at SH 288. The current I-37 / US 181 interchange in Downtown will be replaced by traffic signals. It will cost nearly $ 1 billion.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:56 PM   #2893
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
The planned Harbor Bridge in Corpus Christi, Texas. It will replace the existing bridge with a higher bridge. It also includes a realignment of the US 181 freeway, it will connect to I-37 just west of Downtown, right at SH 288. The current I-37 / US 181 interchange in Downtown will be replaced by traffic signals. It will cost nearly $ 1 billion.
Thats really weird that they are downgrading an interchange to a signalled intersection. Whats the average daily traffic count on that stretch?

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:16 PM   #2894
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 181 will be rerouted less than a mile to the west, feeding directly into SH 288. That way the current interchange serves no purpose anymore.

This will actually be the longest cable-stayed bridge in the United States.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

FM 2258, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:38 PM   #2895
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
US 181 will be rerouted less than a mile to the west, feeding directly into SH 288. That way the current interchange serves no purpose anymore.

This will actually be the longest cable-stayed bridge in the United States.
Oh ok that makes more sense.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:40 AM   #2896
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:

Actually will be SH 286... This is a great idea, the current bridge just looks flimsy too me.

FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #2897
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SH 249, Houston - Navasota, TX

TxDOT Receives Approval to Start Process on SH 249

The Texas Transportation Commission today approved the issuance of a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for the development of SH 249 in an effort to improve mobility and connectivity in Grimes and Montgomery counties.

The SH 249 extension will improve mobility and safety in Grimes and Montgomery counties, and provide regional connectivity between Navasota and Houston. The addition of this new tolled facility is estimated to cost $410 million. The project, which runs from FM 1774 in Pinehurst to SH 105 east of Navasota, has the support of Harris, Montgomery, Grimes and Brazos counties, as well as numerous cities along the route. The project also will be constructed in conjunction with additional segments being led by Harris and Montgomery counties.

TxDOT plans to issue a Request for Proposals later this year, and anticipates a proposal due date in spring of 2016. Substantial completion of SH 249 could come as early as winter 2018.
This is the long-proposed 'Aggie Expressway' that would link Houston with Navasota / College Station. Things seem to have been sped up significantly, with an anticipation completion as early as winter 2018.

The bigger picture:

FM 2258, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #2898
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

[USA] United States | Non-Interstate Roads and Highways

Woo about time.

Texas 105 is an unpleasant, traffic signal choked mess.

That map doesn't show the grand parkway and how you could that to jog over the the woodlands area from 249 as well.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #2899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lee's Summit, Missouri DDI

A very unusual diverging diamond interchange is planned in Lee's Summit, Missouri. It will involve a roundabout on one side. It's at the US 50 / Route 291 interchange.

Tom 958, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #2900
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

Wantagh State Parkway viewed from the Babylon Branch

Robert Moses Statue in Babylon,NY

Robert Moses Statue in Babylon,New York
Visit the New Jersey Section