daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #3001
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpressway View Post
Sure its nice for the inhabitants of the prosperous areas to have a highway removed but those who live farther from those area do feel the pain of less transport.

So it all depends on how we measure success.
Normally, I might agree, but not in this case. The double decker stub freeway (I believe it was less then a mile long) cut off the financial district from the water, creating dead zones. Now the area is a beautiful boulevard and park/plaza with tons of street activity. The once cut off Ferry Building is now a destination with a world famous market. It's the equivalent of removing a small stub freeway from Manhattan. Nobody "drives through" Manhattan or downtown San Francisco, there's so much density, if you're driving there, THAT IS your destination. There are plenty of other routes to take that avoid the density (or even The City completely), so "less transport" doesn't apply. Again, this was just a short stub. I think you'd be hard pressed to find even a single person in San Francisco who misses the old Embarcadero Freeway.

Edit: Besides, public transportation makes more sense then driving in downtown anyway (again like Manhattan). I always take the Ferry - I can't remember the last time I took my car in the Financial district.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #3002
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

The Embarcadero was an oversized off ramp, since there were obvious no plans to extend it to the Golden Gate Bridge anymore. The same counts for most 'freeway' removals.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

jchernin, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #3003
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
Normally, I might agree, but not in this case. The double decker stub freeway (I believe it was less then a mile long) cut off the financial district from the water, creating dead zones. Now the area is a beautiful boulevard and park/plaza with tons of street activity. The once cut off Ferry Building is now a destination with a world famous market. It's the equivalent of removing a small stub freeway from Manhattan. Nobody "drives through" Manhattan or downtown San Francisco, there's so much density, if you're driving there, THAT IS your destination. There are plenty of other routes to take that avoid the density (or even The City completely), so "less transport" doesn't apply. Again, this was just a short stub. I think you'd be hard pressed to find even a single person in San Francisco who misses the old Embarcadero Freeway.

Edit: Besides, public transportation makes more sense then driving in downtown anyway (again like Manhattan). I always take the Ferry - I can't remember the last time I took my car in the Financial district.
Thanks for your reply!
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell

Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #3004
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Copied from the Dallas Development news thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Dallas is very likely to get a brand new freeway "belt". Though it has been discussed for nearly 6 decades now, Loop 9 is on the verge of becoming reality.

For a more thorough diagram check this out:
http://www.loop9.org/Loop%209_Constraints_20141024.pdf
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #3005
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpressway View Post
Thanks for your reply!
No problem! "Knowledge is Power"

jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #3006
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wisconsin

Wisconsin State Highway 42 near the Northport ferry.

Old July 15th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #3007
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Capitol Drive (WI-190) near Waukesha, Wisconsin.

I wonder if Michigan might try converting all those Michigan lefts into this configuration.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, geometarkv liked this post
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #3008
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
what is going to be with an old bridge?
It will be torn down...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #3009
Nexis
Dark Wolf

The Lowest Underpass ive ever seen...

Fisher Lane a one way Eastbound underpass in White Plains,NY

Metro North Harlem Line in North White Plains,NY
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #3010
Nexis
Dark Wolf

The Mid-Hudson Bridge to Poughkeepsie

Carries US 44 & NY 55 over the Hudson River

The Mid-Hudson Bridge to Poughkeepsie
by Norman Gates, on Flickr
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #3011
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The Lowest Underpass ive ever seen...

Fisher Lane a one way Eastbound underpass in White Plains,NY
2.23 meters? That's too high .

The underpass I linked is only 5 ft 11 in high BTW
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

zaphod, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #3012
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post

Although I agree with you Manhattan isn't a good example since it actually gets a lot of traffic passing through than you think. In the case of SF that freeway stub removal was insignificant in the grand scheme of things traffic wise but very significant for downtown. I do think I-80 and Presidio being linked via freeway would be a good thing (if it were a tunnel or something) but it won't ever happen. The through traffic just clogs Van Ness and Lombard St.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #3013
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

This is AK-1 near Homer

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #3014
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SR-99, Seattle, WA

New Bertha start date to resume digging is Nov. 23

The Highway 99 tunnel schedule has been pushed out again, with Bertha to begin digging this November and traffic to enter in March 2018.

Tunnel-boring machine Bertha, whose front end remains in pieces along the downtown waterfront, is to resume digging Nov. 23, according to a new timetable from the construction team.
Full report at the Seattle Times: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...t-date-nov-23/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ryaboisse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 18th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #3015
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
2.23 meters? That's too high .

The underpass I linked is only 5 ft 11 in high BTW
Oh man...

You'd think there would be a tube or sign hanging from a cable before those tunnels to warn people first.

That's an obscenely low underpass. I am slightly taller than 1.8 meters and I wonder if I could safely ride under that on a bike. Insane.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #3016
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Roebling Bridge over the Ohio River between Cincinnati & Newport,KY

CINCINNATI--Roebling Bridge. 1 of 2
by Peter Ehrlich, on Flickr
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #3017
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

weird bridges in Kansas City

Kansas City has some weird double-deck bridges. I wonder why, as purely looking into how they fit the maps doesn't provide a good rationale for spending enormous amounts of money to do so.

Examples:
https://goo.gl/maps/fpkYm
https://goo.gl/maps/mz8wg

Were these former combined road-rail bridges?

The area around them looks very derelict and dangerous. I think it is a polder (reclaimed floodplain) with weak flood defenses so not suitable for regeneration or anything, but if so, why keep these oversized bridges there?

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #3018
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Kansas City has some weird double-deck bridges. I wonder why, as purely looking into how they fit the maps doesn't provide a good rationale for spending enormous amounts of money to do so.

Examples:
https://goo.gl/maps/fpkYm
https://goo.gl/maps/mz8wg

Were these former combined road-rail bridges?

The area around them looks very derelict and dangerous. I think it is a polder (reclaimed floodplain) with weak flood defenses so not suitable for regeneration or anything, but if so, why keep these oversized bridges there?
The two bridges that you are pointing to are in the immediate vicinity of each other, and form a contiguous path out of downtown.

There are no immediately evident railroad rights of way leading up to either of them.

When we look to the west side of these bridges we find Central Avenue, with the following characteristics:

1) not following the local street grid and swerving around

2) seemingly having higher priority over the other streets in the area

3) having other streets branching off like tree branches rather than at right angles

4) being wider than other nearby streets

5) having a bus line running the length

When we look to the east of the bridges, we find them feeding into 12th street, a relatively important downtown commercial strip.

All of these are indicators that we are looking at a former streetcar line, which once had its own right of way and operated on separate levels of the bridges. What we see today is merely its faded legacy.
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #3019
ChrisZwolle
Road user

DDI

A new diverging diamond interchange (DDI) opened to traffic in suburban Kansas City. It is at the K-10 / Ridgeview Road interchange. It replaced a standard diamond interchange.

Old July 20th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #3020
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Oh man...

You'd think there would be a tube or sign hanging from a cable before those tunnels to warn people first.

That's an obscenely low underpass. I am slightly taller than 1.8 meters and I wonder if I could safely ride under that on a bike. Insane.
I can totally see someone with a rental truck slamming into that bridge. '

FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states