daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #3101
Sponsor

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there knows the reason of putting a dotted line inside double solid lines as divider? Why not simply solid or dotted depending on what's necessary at particular place?

Also what does it mean to drivers when there are two markings at once?
Maybe it's only due to practical reasons for road administrator?

This one is from the state of Washington, near Olympic NP. Picture taken by @lulek89.

Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #3102
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

maybe it means that you shouldn't start a pass at that point but it is ok if you are midway through passing someone?
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #3103
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

It means somebody was lazy with re-striping.

TM_Germany, I-275westcoastfl liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #3104
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Exactly, I've seen this in many places in the US. They made it a non passing zone with half assed lane re-striping.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 04:56 AM   #3105
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

The Delaware Route 1 interchange at Thompsonville Road north of Milford is taking shape. Almost all of the highway will be limited access from I-95 to the interchange for DE Route 30, south of Milford and north of Argos Corner.

Southbound

Northbound

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #3106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

SH 114 + SH 183, Midtown Express, Dallas, TX

The 'Midtown Express' project is now underway for six months. It adds express lanes along SH 114 (Carpenter Freeway) and SH 183 (Airport Freeway) in the western suburbs of Dallas.

Some aerial photos taken in October.

1. SH 183 at the Trinity River, just west of I-35E.

2. The SH 114 / SH 183 / Loop 12 interchange. SH 114 and SH 183 split here. Texas Stadium used to occupy the land between the three interchanges.

3. right-of-way clearance along SH 183 in Irving.

4. The alignment shifts to the south here. Probably because parking lots are easier to acquire than businesses.

5. At the SH 183 / SH 356 cloverleaf.

6. Shifting north to SH 114. This is SH 114 near DFW Airport.

7. The SH 114 / Spur 348 split near Las Colinas. The Northwest Highway splits off SH 114 here.

8. SH 114 widening in Las Colinas.

9. The SH 114 / SH 183 / Loop 12 interchange. Downtown Dallas in the distance.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, Buffaboy, Luki_SL, zaphod, FM 2258 and 2 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #3107
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

wow, guess I haven't been up 114 or 183 in a while. Had no idea work on 114 had even started. Is 114 to resemble the short section just west of the 114/Loop 12 interchange?
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #3108
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

US 48 'Corridor H', West Virginia

A 3 mile segment of 'Corridor H' of the ADHS opened to traffic yesterday in West Virginia. It runs from near Bismarck to the Tucker County line. Another segment from there to Davis is planned to open by next summer. The Kerens to Parsons section has also been advertised recently.

Corridor H is a four lane divided highway that links I-79 near Weston with I-81 near Strasburg.

Untitled by WVDOT, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #3109
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

US 301 news in Delaware:

Quote:
US 301 construction will begin in January

The Delaware Department of Transportation awarded a nearly $70 million contract to Tutor Perini Corp. on Friday to begin construction on the planned U.S. 301 toll road in southern New Castle County. The announcement cements the controversial project's start date for January 2016.

The new route will provide an express connection for drivers between Del. 1 and the Maryland border.

But the proposal for a multi-lane corridor has been the subject of controversy for decades. Millions of dollars have gone into studies for shelved options, and debates have raged over location choices and land deals. In 2013, when construction plans appeared to be finalized, a revised traffic forecast halted the project because it showed that the Great Recession had drastically changed travel patterns.

Those changes led to months of review to verify the project's continued viability and eligibility for expanded Federal Highway Administration loan support.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...tion/75709768/

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old November 14th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #3110
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Here's an interactive map of the US 301 expressway to be built in Delaware. The red line is the main route, with red pins being interchanges. The green line is a two-lane limited access spur route to connect to Summit Bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...US&usp=sharing
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #3111
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I didn't know about this, but it's good news. Last time I went to Washington I used 301 back...it's a good, low-traffic alternative to 95. Until you hit the state line. Shame it needs to be a toll road, though.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #3112
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I didn't know about this, but it's good news. Last time I went to Washington I used 301 back...it's a good, low-traffic alternative to 95. Until you hit the state line. Shame it needs to be a toll road, though.
It will be $4 for the full extent, too. But taking it northbound, with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, would only total about $8 from Washington to Wilmington. Compare that to I-95: $4 for whatever tunnel you take in Baltimore, $8 for the Tydings Memorial Bridge over the Susquehanna River, and $4 or $5 for the JFK Turnpike (I-95) when entering Delaware. (I don't even know the price of the toll in Delaware because I go around it.) So you would still save about $10 in tolls, and would have a lot less traffic. It is not as direct, so it would probably add 10-15 minutes to your drive, especially if you hit one of the rare traffic lights on 301 on the Eastern Shore, but losing 10 minutes to save $10 is pretty fair.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #3113
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Do you all have 8-12-lanes roads... It is so unusual for eu... Really, and so curious I/c. How much did it cost Eisenhower to empower all the system he did in his years?
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #3114
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
It will be $4 for the full extent, too. But taking it northbound, with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, would only total about $8 from Washington to Wilmington. Compare that to I-95: $4 for whatever tunnel you take in Baltimore, $8 for the Tydings Memorial Bridge over the Susquehanna River, and $4 or $5 for the JFK Turnpike (I-95) when entering Delaware. (I don't even know the price of the toll in Delaware because I go around it.) So you would still save about $10 in tolls, and would have a lot less traffic. It is not as direct, so it would probably add 10-15 minutes to your drive, especially if you hit one of the rare traffic lights on 301 on the Eastern Shore, but losing 10 minutes to save $10 is pretty fair.
Does that include the Del. 1 toll?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #3115
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Does that include the Del. 1 toll?
No, but I think this road merges with Route 1 north of the tollbooths. I think the plan is to just get people with tolls on the road itself.
Old November 17th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #3116
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Do you all have 8-12-lanes roads... It is so unusual for eu... Really, and so curious I/c. How much did it cost Eisenhower to empower all the system he did in his years?
There aren't really that many such roads in USA
vast majority of kilometres in Interstate system are 4 lanes between cities
6 lane is very common near and in cities, 8 lane, but the 12 lane collector-express types that are longer than a few km you could count on your hands probably

ukraroad liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #3117
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

US-169 North thru the Twin Cities Metro

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #3118
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
No, but I think this road merges with Route 1 north of the tollbooths. I think the plan is to just get people with tolls on the road itself.
I take 301 South whenever I have to go below Baltimore. It's really a much nicer drive than 95. If only there was some scenery...
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #3119
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 3574

North Cascades Highway

That part of Washington Route 20 known as the North Cascades Highway has been shut down for the winter season, a little earlier than the average. During only winter season since the that stretch of highway opened in 1972 did it not shut down, and that was in the drought year of 1976-1977. It must have been some drought, because in a normal winter the lanes are buried under many feet of snow, avalanches being a big worry also. It is the northernmost of the few highways (only five if I am counting correctly) which link Western and Eastern Washington.

From WSDOT.
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:16 AM   #3120
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Speaking of road channels, good ones to subscribe to (or view videos from) are Roadwaywiz, RoadwaywizWNY and others like FreewayJim.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states