daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #3121
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
That part of Washington Route 20 known as the North Cascades Highway has been shut down for the winter season, a little earlier than the average. During only winter season since the that stretch of highway opened in 1972 did it not shut down, and that was in the drought year of 1976-1977. It must have been some drought, because in a normal winter the lanes are buried under many feet of snow, avalanches being a big worry also. It is the northernmost of the few highways (only five if I am counting correctly) which link Western and Eastern Washington.

From WSDOT.
You're expecting, or already had, snow, right? I have a bunch of cousins in and around Seattle I'm in touch with on Facebook, so I hear about the weather....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #3122
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 3574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
That part of Washington Route 20 known as the North Cascades Highway has been shut down for the winter season, a little earlier than the average. During only winter season since the that stretch of highway opened in 1972 did it not shut down, and that was in the drought year of 1976-1977. It must have been some drought, because in a normal winter the lanes are buried under many feet of snow, avalanches being a big worry also. It is the northernmost of the few highways (only five if I am counting correctly) which link Western and Eastern Washington.

From WSDOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You're expecting, or already had, snow, right? I have a bunch of cousins in and around Seattle I'm in touch with on Facebook, so I hear about the weather....
Right now we are having a raging windstorm in the lowlands. It has been snowing in the mountains (higher passes and above), but the snow levels have been rising and falling wildly, so some of the snow, even at the ski resorts on the passes, might melt today (and lead to lowland river flooding). After a long summer drought, we in the lowlands are being pummeled this month by heavy rains.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Ginkgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #3123
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

SR520 Floating bridge in Seattle, WA yesterday during a storm we had. I must say driving on that thing was an interesting experience with 45mph/75kmh winds and those waves. You basically are moving up, down and side to side. It was kind of fun

JMBasquiat, brewerfan386, geometarkv liked this post
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #3124
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

Is that an Alaska plate? How common are those in Seattle? I'll maybe see 3 or 4 a year around here.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #3125
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

How is US 19 doing in Pinellas County, Florida? How much of it is limited access now?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #3126
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

SH 31, Texas

New Relief Route Will Increase Mobility in Corsicana Area

In an ongoing effort to enhance state roadways and address congestion, TxDOT approved a contract award of $105,980,139 million to build a new location relief route for SH 31 along the outer edge of Corsicana from three miles west of FM 2555 to three miles east of I-45.

Sundt Construction, Inc. was awarded the contract for the 18-mile long two-lane rural roadway. Construction dates will be established in upcoming meetings between TxDOT and the contractor.
Full press release: http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-.../196-2015.html

They call it a 'two-lane rural roadway', however the project schematics show a full-fledged freeway with frontage roads. However $ 106 million for an 18 mile freeway with frontage roads would be incredibly cheap.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #3127
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

How is the Tamiami Trail/Everglades Skyway coming along? Everything I can find seems to be seven years out of date.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #3128
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Is that an Alaska plate? How common are those in Seattle? I'll maybe see 3 or 4 a year around here.
Pretty common, I probably see them on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
How is US 19 doing in Pinellas County, Florida? How much of it is limited access now?
Progress has been very slow on US19. They were wrapping up the work that has been going on for years when I left Florida so I'm assuming its completed or near completion. It should be about a 12 mile stretch of limited access highway.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:44 PM   #3129
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 65, Springfield, MO

The birthplace of the American DDI recently got a new one along US 65 in Springfield, Missouri. It's located at the Battlefield Road interchange.

D5968_CM-294 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr
Old November 23rd, 2015, 10:00 PM   #3130
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A DDI in Lexington, Kentucky.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Buffaboy, 8166UY, jchernin, brewerfan386 liked this post
Old November 24th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #3131
jlaw

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
SR520 Floating bridge in Seattle, WA yesterday during a storm we had. I must say driving on that thing was an interesting experience with 45mph/75kmh winds and those waves. You basically are moving up, down and side to side. It was kind of fun

A friend from Spokane, WA said they were badly hit. Fallen trees everywhere, no power, several killed.
jlaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #3132
jlaw

Likes (Received): 23

It's my first time in this thread and it's so long already, did anyone managed to post pics from Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, PA to Niagara Falls, NY or CND?
jlaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #3133
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Jefferson City, Missouri

The Jefferson City Bridges spanning the Missouri River in Jefferson City, Missouri. US 54 and US 63 run across it.

D5968_CM_R2-102 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ukraine, Luki_SL, jchernin, geometarkv liked this post
Old November 25th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #3134
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 3574

Washington State Route 410

SR 410, which connects western Washington near Mount Rainier with the Yakima area of central Washington has been closed for the season at Chinook pass. Nearby Cayuse Pass, officially on SR 123 which heads south through the eastern side of Mount Rainier National Park closes in tandem with Chinook. Of course drivers will continue to access the Crystal Mountain ski resort using 410, the cut off road to Crystal Mountain being shy of the passes and just north of the entrance to Mount Rainier National Park.

From WSDOT.

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Ginkgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #3135
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
A friend from Spokane, WA said they were badly hit. Fallen trees everywhere, no power, several killed.
Yeah there were several areas hit pretty hard. Its mind boggling that they don't trim trees around power lines here. The infrastructure sucks here in Washington.

mcarling liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:39 PM   #3136
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Construction of the Foothills Parkway in Tennessee. I'm not sure how current this photo is, it could be the new Walland - Wears Valley segment.

Buffaboy, Rdx MG, devo, jchernin, 8166UY and 5 others liked this post
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:20 PM   #3137
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19162

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Construction of the Foothills Parkway in Tennessee. I'm not sure how current this photo is, it could be the new Walland - Wears Valley segment.
Looks a bit like Linn Cove Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #3138
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

House and Senate negotiators have agreed on a compromise five year Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act. The House and Senate are expected to approve it today and the White House has said that Barack Hussein Obama will sign it.

http://transportation.house.gov/news...umentID=399586
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #3139
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 433

looks like the Foothills Parkway will be one hell of a nice drive, one day.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #3140
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

haha, one day

Quote:
The oldest unfinished highway project in Tennessee,[5] the Foothills Parkway project has been continuously stalled by funding difficulties since Congress authorized its construction in 1944. As of 2010, only one-third of the parkway had been completed and opened to vehicular traffic.
maybe they will dig up and build Strecke 46 first...

Tags
united states